Author Topic: Wrestling discussion  (Read 111307 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wrestling discussion
« Reply #375 on: August 30, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
How could it be rated TV PG for 50 years when the ratings system did not exist until the 90s? The PG ratings has definitely made the product worse - I can't say that it's become unwatchable, but it has definitely hurt the product - and the whole reason they went PG is to try and get Linda McMahon into the US Senate.

The product was the same before the ratings system. The whole rock 'n' wrestling connection (which was hugely popular) was very family friendly. The PG rating hasn't hurt it. Hell, the first six months of the year was great. All the PG rating means is less cursing and less blood, the actual wrestling is the same.

WCW suffered from multiple problems, and content was not one of them. WCW had already started going downhill before Time Warner started restricting them.

Devon has actually improved this year, and really toned down. Still, I don't thin he should be the TV Champion. I will agree Bully Ray is probably the best heel in TNA. He didn't make it a secret he's considering leaving though (hell, earlier this summer he tweeted that he was backstage at WWE Raw. Some speculate he did this because he is in contract negotiations with TNA).

As for Douglas Williams, maybe he wants to move away from full time wrestling? He could do a great job teaching wrestlers to improve their skills in OVW.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
All the PG rating means is less cursing and less blood, the actual wrestling is the same.

It effects the theme of the storylines as well. Remember when Kane impregnated Lita and then he fell on her and it resulted in her having a miscarriage? Or when Boss Man kidnapped Al Snow's dog and tricked him into eating it? Storylines like that are no longer possible with a PG rating.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
Do you remember that Big Boss Man/Al Snow angle? It was all terrible, ESPECIALLY the "Kennel from Hell" match they had (the dogs spent the whole match basically pooping and pissing on the mat around the cage). And it was Snitsky who caused the miscarriage (in his first WWE match). It's not like WWE ignores that stuff, remember a few weeks ago when we got to see the hand that Mae Young gave birth to in the late 90s?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 30, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »
All the PG rating means is less cursing and less blood, the actual wrestling is the same.

It effects the theme of the storylines as well. Remember when Kane impregnated Lita and then he fell on her and it resulted in her having a miscarriage? Or when Boss Man kidnapped Al Snow's dog and tricked him into eating it? Storylines like that are no longer possible with a PG rating.
Please tell me you are kidding here and you don't think those are actually good storylines.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 30, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
Do you remember that Big Boss Man/Al Snow angle? It was all terrible, ESPECIALLY the "Kennel from Hell" match they had (the dogs spent the whole match basically pooping and pissing on the mat around the cage). And it was Snitsky who caused the miscarriage (in his first WWE match). It's not like WWE ignores that stuff, remember a few weeks ago when we got to see the hand that Mae Young gave birth to in the late 90s?
Sexual Chocolate's baby.  Yeah, that was the worst.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
I'm not suggesting those were great storylines. I was just using those as examples of the sort of storylines which are no longer possible under the PG rating. And even if they weren't great storylines per se, the fact people are able to remember them all these years later must surely count for something. But the bottom line is the writers are restricted in the topics they can cover now. There's more to the PG rating than just a ban on cursing and juicing. That's the point I was trying to make when citing those examples.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #381 on: August 30, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
Who remembers those though besides hardcore fans? And stuff like the pregnancy one could happen, but pregnancy angles usually suck. Cursing and bleeding aren't banned, just used more rarely (which actually makes them more effective when they happen).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 30, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Are you sure juicing is still allowed? I know there is still bleeding in the WWE, but I was under the impression whenever it happened now it was legit bleeding from injury (like when Ray Mysterio shattered Undertaker's face with the 619 a couple years back).
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #383 on: August 30, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »
Only on rare occasions (like at Extreme Rules when they allowed Lesnar to bleed). Apparently this past Monday was not planned for Punk to bleed as he stated on Twitter that he was fined and so was referee Charles Robinson (though Punk said he paid Robinson's fine out of respect, and the total was $500,000).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #384 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »
On another matter, apparently a few weeks ago WWE reached a deal with the World Wide Fund for Nature (known as World Wildlife Fund in the US) to let WWE use the "WWF" initials and the WWF scratch logo again (at least from the past uses of it). So that means we should get DVD's without the blurring of the scratch logo and muting of the WWF name that they legally had to do.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »
On another matter, apparently a few weeks ago WWE reached a deal with the World Wide Fund for Nature (known as World Wildlife Fund in the US) to let WWE use the "WWF" initials and the WWF scratch logo again (at least from the past uses of it). So that means we should get DVD's without the blurring of the scratch logo and muting of the WWF name that they legally had to do.
That's pretty cool.  I'm not sure how it will be used unless they start rereleasing legacy footage with WWF in the title.  I guess they could rerelease the Wrestlemania anthologies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 30, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
Speaking of Devon...

Yes that's me in the "salmon" colored ****. This was probably 7 or 8 years ago (obviously, since he was still in WWE). Devon actually lives pretty close to me, Jamie Noble too (he came into our shop a couple of weeks ago).

Devon's a real nice guy. He's been to my mom's restaurant a few times. One time when he was in (after going to TNA) I wrote "kick Team Canada's ass at the PPV" and he wrote back "Oh my brother testify!" On the occasion pictured above he signed a menu for me and gave me a WWE RAW hat.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:10:45 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #387 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Yeah, Devon is supposed to be very friendly. Bully Ray, on the other hand, has always had a reputation for not being fan-friendly.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 30, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
I will tell you this too, he's a big mother fucker in real life. I felt kind of bad asking for his photo, but we waited until after he ate dinner with his family and only took the one picture. He didn't seem too bothered by it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »
And the CM Punk $500,000 fine thing was a joke. He was making fun of the WWE storyline of Sheamus being fined $500,000 for attacking a referee.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »
That's cool you got to meet Devon. It seems like the nicest wrestlers end up being the least popular... sad, but true. I heard that was the reason why Vladimir Kozlov was released from the WWE because he is a really nice guy and I guess that's not what they want in a wrestler. Could also be the reason why TNA is letting Devon go. There's only so much room in the biz for nice guys like Cena. Once that niche is filled, there's no need for others to be around. There always seems to be room for the bad guys, though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:52:54 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
Wouldn't it be cool if the leader of Aces & Eights turns out to be Christy Hemme? No one would expect that. Everyone automatically assumes the leader is going to be a male, so if it turns out to be a female it would blow everyone's mind. Or what if its Tara?

Both Tara and Christy Hemme are fans of motorcycles IRL and Aces and Eights is a Motorcycle gang, so they would fit right in. Even if they aren't the leader, they could still be members of it. Especially Tara, because of her recent Heel turn.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #392 on: September 28, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
Last night's Impact was really bad. I know wrestling is fake but it seems like TNA wants to see how fake people are willing to tolerate. It's like when WWE had the Chavo Guerrero-Hornswoggle feud and had Hornswoggle run through a painted tunnel (i.e. the Road Runner) or when a wrestler sees something that isn't there and so can the audience. At this point, I don't think TNA can salvage the Aces & Eights angle.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
What made it seem more fake than usual? I don't recall anything that couldn't have theoretically been real. There was no painted tunnel or anything like that. Sting and Hulk were abducted and taken to A&8s club and roughed up a bit. Stuff like that can theoretically happen in real life.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #394 on: September 28, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
All the camera angles, and the cameras being there, and the way A&E threatened them at the end. It just seemed too much like a movie. Made me wish it was like how wrestling used to be treated like a real sport (we knew it was fake then too).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 28, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
Yeah, you are right about the cameras. It didn't bother me because I wasn't even thinking about that. If you think about it your enjoyment of it will be ruined, but just like when you are watching a movie you have to suspend your disbelief.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #396 on: September 28, 2012, 01:45:15 PM »
I think TNA should have focused more on Bound for Glory, it's their biggest PPV of the year and only a couple of weeks away, but didn't focus much on it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 05, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
This is better for the fun house...too limiting for comments in here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #399 on: October 05, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
News of the tape is old, but interesting to have details now. I knew Hogan and Bubba were close friends, but close enough for Bubba to let Hogan bang his wife?