Author Topic: who wants a segment on the forum podcast??  (Read 5105 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
who wants a segment on the forum podcast??
« on: January 24, 2008, 07:16:50 AM »
just kicking around ideas, here, but imagine this:
- a forum podcost highlighting lol/awesome threads
- a segment to anyone who wants one, every week

this is more like an interest check.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: who wants a segment on the forum podcast??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »
I do! I do!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »
This is great for our forumers to get involved!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
Oh man I would love to do some talking in the podcast. It would be a ton of fun to hop on and talk it up with Jonny & crew.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
I might, but I'd probably want to see how it goes first.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:43:39 AM »
Put me in the "Intrigued" category. Not necessarily Interested, per se, but "Intrigued" for sure...
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
Sure,  but In real life I'm Clark Kent...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »
Oh, hey, while I'm at it, I'm going to go ahead and sign Khush up for a "Mafia Tip of the Week" podcast segment, totally without his permission, ok?

I actually think that'd be kinda cool.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:who wants a segment on the forum podcast??
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:26 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

- a forum podcost highlighting lol/awesome threads

I would have to know the expense of this "podcost" first.

LOLOLOLO

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:55:32 AM »

Originally posted by: decoyman
Oh, hey, while I'm at it, I'm going to go ahead and sign Khush up for a "Mafia Tip of the Week" podcast segment, totally without his permission, ok?

I actually think that'd be kinda cool.

Ha ha ha. Yeah. I don't think that would be a popular feature. But, here's a sneak preview of episode 1:

(Secret Episode 1 script)

Jonnyboy - And now we introduce Khushrenada with a new segment called "Mafia Tip of the Week". Mafia, of course, is a game that many of our forum regulars play. So, what do you have for us today?"

Khushrenada - Pro tip. ALWAYS trust Khushrenada. Back to you Jonny.

Jonnyboy - (Long pause followed by a disgusted sigh) We can edit this out right?

Svevan - Like it never happened. I'll just talk a bit more about how existentialism is becoming a prevalent theme in video games these days.

Jonnyboy - I've got to get Karl back.

However, on a more serious note, I do have a suggestion for the podcast that the staff may actually be interested in. I've been meaning to post it for awhile but now this gives me the excuse I've been looking for. Watch for this post to be edited later tonight.

EDIT: Changed my mind. Just posted my idea in a new post.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
By all means, please do post said idea for it.  Always looking to better the podcast.

SUP is this just your way of not having to type the roundup?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
NWR didn't want Khush for its webpage; what makes you think the podcast is any different?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
Maybe, but I'd want to get in a debate and not just talk about the threads.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
NWR didn't want Khush for its webpage; what makes you think the podcast is any different?

Hi-yo! That's a good burn.

Well, I'll just post my idea here instead of editing my message where it might be missed. Anyways, my idea isn't anything that revolutionary. I just thought it might be useful.

Basically, instead of posting the whole podcast as one package, you may want to also offer up sections of the podcast. What I mean is, have links to seperate parts of the podcast. So, there could be a link for the news section and the news section only. There could be a link for the mailbag. A link for the discussion on the forums. A link for this new segment for anyone that Ty has come up with.

I know that at first it may seem like a lot of work and I'll admit, I'm not speaking from experience here. I've never had to edit a podcast before. But, the way I'm picturing it in my mind is that instead of having to put the whole podcast together in one setting, you can assemble each segment at a time and then when all the segments are complete, compile them together into the whole podcast that has been the standard since it's inception for those who prefer to listen to it all at once.

The reason why I think it would be useful is for a few reasons. One, there is often a worry about the length of the podcast. Is it too long or too short? How much do people want to listen to? By dividing up the segments, if people want to skip a section of the podcast or choose what parts they want to listen to, it makes it much easier. This way, length of the podcast really doesn't matter anymore. If someone doesn't have time to listen to it all in one setting, they can pick up where they left off more easily than before where (at least for me) you have to wait for the whole podcast to reload and then try and repostion the meter to where you left off. Sometimes, a person might forget about it and never bother to listen to what else was discussed.

What I'm describing also plays into my second point. Maybe there is something in the podcast people are talking about in the talkback section or there is a segment advertised in the write-up like Metroid preview or Brawl discussion. Maybe you only want to hear the part of the podcast. Well, now, instead of having to boot up a whole 80 minute podcast and try and search through it to find this discussion, you now have the sections listed and can easily find this topic or see what the fuss is about.

Third, it gives NWR a way to see what segments are popular and what isn't. Maybe. For this idea to work, you'd most likely need a hit counter of some kind to see how many times a segment is clicked. So, maybe when you look at the hitcounters, you notice that the news discussion has been clicked on way more than say the intro where people talk about what games they are currently playing. This helps gives NWR a bit more feedback on what is working and what isn't. Especially from lurkers who might listen to the podcast but never post their views on what they think is working and what could be improved. Maybe there is a section that people just don't care for. Maybe there is a section people can't get enough off and should be expanded on more.

And finally, this goes back to my idea of how I think a podcast is edited. If there is particular part of the podcast that seems to be full of technical difficulties, instead of delaying the whole podcast because of it, maybe other portions of the podcast can be posted so that people have something to listen to in the meantime and helps keep up a regular schedule for the podcast. Maybe editing duties can even be divided among people. You know, assign people certain portions of the podcast.

Anyways, that was just a suggestion I'd come up with after listening to a few odd podcasts here and there. I'll admit, I'm not a regular listener so I don't know how well this suggestion would be recieved by regular listeners. But, I know this feature would be useful to me. I no longer have the time I once had to sit on the internet for long periods of time and so to listen to a whole podcast is too much. Maybe this would open up more participation for podcasts also. Maybe a staff member would like to just participate in one particular section that matches his expertise or there's a topic being discussed this week and he would like to join in the participation but doesn't want to have to host a whole podcast.

Then again, maybe NWR was right not to hire me so as to not have to deal with crazy ideas like this one. But that's "Khushrenada's Krazy Idea of the Week." Tune in next week when I unveil my latest idea: Pirate Radio Trivia. That's where I just decide to host a trivia game in the chat section next Friday since no else does that anymore. There'll be no connection to Kontek since I have none of the programs for that. I'll just have to chat in the chat section with everyone else. Obviously, it will just be 30 trivia questions and no songs since that capability doesn't exist to me. Looks like I just revealed my whole idea. Now I'll have to think of another one for next week.

Ideas. I'm full of them. Some people say I'm full of other stuff too. Yet, for all the ideas I have, I can't think of one for how to end this post. Maybe I'll just hit reply and see what
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
SUP is this just your way of not having to type the roundup?

yes

Originally posted by: Khushrenada
Well, I'll just post my idea here instead of editing my message where it might be missed. Anyways, my idea isn't anything that revolutionary. I just thought it might be useful.

Basically, instead of posting the whole podcast as one package, you may want to also offer up sections of the podcast. What I mean is, have links to seperate parts of the podcast. So, there could be a link for the news section and the news section only. There could be a link for the mailbag. A link for the discussion on the forums. A link for this new segment for anyone that Ty has come up with.

I know that at first it may seem like a lot of work and I'll admit, I'm not speaking from experience here. I've never had to edit a podcast before. But, the way I'm picturing it in my mind is that instead of having to put the whole podcast together in one setting, you can assemble each segment at a time and then when all the segments are complete, compile them together into the whole podcast that has been the standard since it's inception for those who prefer to listen to it all at once.

The reason why I think it would be useful is for a few reasons. One, there is often a worry about the length of the podcast. Is it too long or too short? How much do people want to listen to? By dividing up the segments, if people want to skip a section of the podcast or choose what parts they want to listen to, it makes it much easier. This way, length of the podcast really doesn't matter anymore. If someone doesn't have time to listen to it all in one setting, they can pick up where they left off more easily than before where (at least for me) you have to wait for the whole podcast to reload and then try and repostion the meter to where you left off. Sometimes, a person might forget about it and never bother to listen to what else was discussed.

What I'm describing also plays into my second point. Maybe there is something in the podcast people are talking about in the talkback section or there is a segment advertised in the write-up like Metroid preview or Brawl discussion. Maybe you only want to hear the part of the podcast. Well, now, instead of having to boot up a whole 80 minute podcast and try and search through it to find this discussion, you now have the sections listed and can easily find this topic or see what the fuss is about.

Third, it gives NWR a way to see what segments are popular and what isn't. Maybe. For this idea to work, you'd most likely need a hit counter of some kind to see how many times a segment is clicked. So, maybe when you look at the hitcounters, you notice that the news discussion has been clicked on way more than say the intro where people talk about what games they are currently playing. This helps gives NWR a bit more feedback on what is working and what isn't. Especially from lurkers who might listen to the podcast but never post their views on what they think is working and what could be improved. Maybe there is a section that people just don't care for. Maybe there is a section people can't get enough off and should be expanded on more.

And finally, this goes back to my idea of how I think a podcast is edited. If there is particular part of the podcast that seems to be full of technical difficulties, instead of delaying the whole podcast because of it, maybe other portions of the podcast can be posted so that people have something to listen to in the meantime and helps keep up a regular schedule for the podcast. Maybe editing duties can even be divided among people. You know, assign people certain portions of the podcast.

Anyways, that was just a suggestion I'd come up with after listening to a few odd podcasts here and there. I'll admit, I'm not a regular listener so I don't know how well this suggestion would be recieved by regular listeners. But, I know this feature would be useful to me. I no longer have the time I once had to sit on the internet for long periods of time and so to listen to a whole podcast is too much. Maybe this would open up more participation for podcasts also. Maybe a staff member would like to just participate in one particular section that matches his expertise or there's a topic being discussed this week and he would like to join in the participation but doesn't want to have to host a whole podcast.

Then again, maybe NWR was right not to hire me so as to not have to deal with crazy ideas like this one. But that's "Khushrenada's Krazy Idea of the Week." Tune in next week when I unveil my latest idea: Pirate Radio Trivia. That's where I just decide to host a trivia game in the chat section next Friday since no else does that anymore. There'll be no connection to Kontek since I have none of the programs for that. I'll just have to chat in the chat section with everyone else. Obviously, it will just be 30 trivia questions and no songs since that capability doesn't exist to me. Looks like I just revealed my whole idea. Now I'll have to think of another one for next week.

Ideas. I'm full of them. Some people say I'm full of other stuff too. Yet, for all the ideas I have, I can't think of one for how to end this post. Maybe I'll just hit reply and see what

jesus christ professor wordington

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »
Hahahahahah - You're in.

The way the NWR podcast works is it's basically a single recording session using the recordings from each participant's end, meshed for maximum sound quality. Well, I'll have none of that. Especially since a great deal of our forum members are Aussie or European as well as awful yank. I was thinking of having an amalgamation of shorter segments attached end-to-end like some sort of bizarro variety hour. Not only would it be easy to do, but it would be no problem to drop and add new peoples' segments.

woot.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 12:14:11 AM »
That sounds pretty good. And I guess you leave the content of our 3 minutes or so up to us?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 03:50:24 AM »
I'm flagging that youtube video for ADULT CONTENT

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 05:56:32 AM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 06:05:57 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
Hahahahahah - You're in.

The way the NWR podcast works is it's basically a single recording session using the recordings from each participant's end, meshed for maximum sound quality. Well, I'll have none of that. Especially since a great deal of our forum members are Aussie or European as well as awful yank. I was thinking of having an amalgamation of shorter segments attached end-to-end like some sort of bizarro variety hour. Not only would it be easy to do, but it would be no problem to drop and add new peoples' segments.

woot.

Great idea. I SO want in on the podcast now!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 06:06:26 AM »
I'm calling for the banning of Vudu.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »
Have Uncebob talk about his Faceball 2000 project or his collection addiction!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 10:05:13 AM »
Ask theperm
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post