Author Topic: Prediction: iTunes Wii Channel  (Read 28663 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Prediction: iTunes Wii Channel
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 08:34:56 AM »

SD Cards don't have to be formatted before they can be used. Unfortunately, formatting for an iPod's HDD is not universal.

Oh, I wasn't implying that they needed to be.

I was saying that Nintendo might have insisted that all USB devices have their proprietary HD format to prevent people from moving VC roms to PCs except that they can already do this via SD cards so the protective measure would be unnecessary, meaning that Nintendo would have no reason to NOT support the file formats on iPods.

And the Quicktime codec is the HARD part. iPod support is duck soup in comparison to the licensing and porting of the codec.

Ice, yeah, threads have existed, but this is my personal prediction that it WILL happen.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 08:37:03 AM »
Actually a SD card is formated in FAT32, which is the same format that is used by the iPod when its formated for the PC.

All the Mac users I know format their external drives as FAT32 cause it allows them to move between Mac and PC.
PCs can't use HFS and Macs can only read NTFS.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Pittbboi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »
Please Please Please do not call this Megaton. Seriously, every time someone comes up with some crazy idea of what Nintendo's secretly doing and labels it a Megaton announcement coming soon, the hype trains speed out of control, even crazier and improbable 'what-ifs' ideas get spun, and by the time Nintendo actually announces something there's no possible way it could have lived up to the massive and pointless hype, and we all end up kicking ourselves.

So please, don't jinx this...

Anywho, I'm not so sure about this. Don't get me wrong: Any support is better than no support, and Nintendo certainly hs been trying to follow in Apple's footsteps as of late. So if this happens it wouldn't be a bad thing. Just, how much of a good thing would this be? What could you do with iTunes on Wii that you couldn't do with a computer in a more straightforward manner? iPods are cool and all but are they versatile enough? I have a 60gb ipod video, and its pretty much just about full with music and videos that I already have, and they're not that speedy, so if this is Nintendo's hard drive solution I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

-And watching ipod movies on tv through the Wii would not be a good idea. Picture quality is tailored for the iPod's small screen. The movie would look like crap on a tv

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »
Apple was planning a set top box to play movies at some point so there's no reason why it couldn't happen, maybe with specific movies sized for TV resolution.

As for HD solutions, it seems that they wanted a variety of USB storage devices to work and it seems only logical that the iPod be included in that list because it's an immensely common consumer electronic which is used by the same non-gamer crowd Nintendo wants to attract.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Prediction: iTunes Wii Channel
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »
=

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2006, 10:20:43 AM »
Great points SB. I hope your right. This would be a huge plus for any future Wii owner and us Wii fans alike.

The most intriguing thing to me, besides the ability to play music from you Wii, is the potential to play music or transfer music in-game. For instance, imagine playing Animal Crossing and being able to turn on your pocket radio. Once activated you can scroll through and access all your music files and play whatever you see fit. Hell, you can even through a "concert" with some music you and your buddies recorded and have an event in your town.

Music is the most liked quantity in the world, and allowing people to share their own with the world would be amazing. Sure there might be some issues that comes about with P2P, but this is a game, a game where you can literally meet people and trade music.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »
I admit I was in a cynical mood earlier due to personal reasons (mainly, Nintendo phailing at shipping consoles ), so I decided to stay neutral for now.

It may happen and the points posted are logical, but it doesn't mean that it will happen now. In fact, I still see this happening either late 2007 or early 2008 as I still believe that Apple needs to be a rock solid user base online before putting the effort into it.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:19 AM »

Please Please Please do not call this Megaton. Seriously, every time someone comes up with some crazy idea of what Nintendo's secretly doing and labels it a Megaton announcement coming soon, the hype trains speed out of control, even crazier and improbable 'what-ifs' ideas get spun, and by the time Nintendo actually announces something there's no possible way it could have lived up to the massive and pointless hype, and we all end up kicking ourselves.

It is currently said completely tongue in cheek for that very reason, good sir.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2006, 11:02:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem Music is the most liked quantity in the world, and allowing people to share their own with the world would be amazing. Sure there might be some issues that comes about with P2P, but this is a game, a game where you can literally meet people and trade music.

Damn...I didn't even THINK of that...

Bringing your music with you into games so that other people hear it? What a concept...

Someone needs to write this stuff down...

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2006, 04:53:43 AM »
Well, SB, I may have to swallow a bit of my pride as someone has un-officially done what you predicted...

Using iTunes through the Wii.

This is a hack more than anything, but I wouldn't be surprise if this encourages both company to bring their OFFICIAL software to the Wii and charge for it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »
OK, SB, I am willing to give your idea a lot more value...

This doesn't mean that it WILL happen, but a lot of people sure have been thinking the same and it may indeed lead to a collaboration between the two companies.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Majora

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 03:14:10 AM »

Haha, I remember thinking that Nintendo's idea to release ONLY white Wii consoles... then releasing the black ones at a later date was similar to the iPod colour scheme.... Very 'Apple-ish' presentation.

Haha, I'm holding off for the limited edition U2 Wii lol!

Sadler, you're small time.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »
This ain't exactly itunes, but it's a big step in the right direction and something that could make Apple take a second look.

Orb announced a free program that allows you to stream "digital media" to your Wii through Opera.

Check it out
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Leck

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
Maybe the two companies will merge, and we'll have the Nintapple WiiPod
[ something witty here ]

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2007, 08:14:56 PM »
has anyone tried using Orb on their Wii yet?

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 08:34:56 PM »

Maybe the two companies will merge, and we'll have the Nintapple WiiPod  

How about the iWii.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 07:35:41 AM »

Apple was planning a set top box to play movies at some point so there's no reason why it couldn't happen

In fact, this is precisely the reason it won't happen. If people could play iTunes Store content on their TV with their Wii, they wouldn't have to buy Apple's own pricey iTV.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 07:48:10 AM »
It's not video which I expect people would be downloading for their Wii, it's mp3s for use in game soundtracks.

The iTV will be a luxury item which offers HDMI output for watching downloaded movies on your TV in HD. The Wii fills a different niche in terms of downloadable media.

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »
To keep it terse, I don't ever see Apple and Nintendo collaborating.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 08:52:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Neodymium
To keep it terse, I don't ever see Apple and Nintendo collaborating.

Did you read my first post? THEY ALREADY HAVE COLLABORATED by licensing the Quicktime codec to Nintendo.

And business logic dictates that they didn't license the QT codec without a VERY good reason for doing so.

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »
Um, to be fair, it's not like Nintendo is the first company Apple's licensed the Quicktime codec to. It seems to be a basic transaction. It doesn't hint at all that there's going to be some OMG NIN-APPLE MEGATON!!!!!!! announcement. I don't see it happening, either.

I mean, it would be cool, but lets looks at this clearly: What REALLY is there to gain from this? Support from a huge company like Apple would be great, but iTunes? I just don't see what the benefits would be. If you have an ipod, you have iTunes; and if you have iTunes, you have a computer; and if you have a computer; there's no real point to using the service through your Wii.

This just points out the fact that Nintendo needs more dedicated mp3/video support on the Wii (provided by THEM). Because I'd rather download content through itunes and put it on my ipod than have to download content through my Wii and put it on my ipod, as the Wii doesn't have a hard-drive, which is important. It's just a lot safer, a lot smoother, and a lot more sensical to keep iTunes on computers. It would suck to have to download content like video or podcasts straight to the Wii on some tiny flash drive as opposed to on my main computer hard drive where all my media files are perfectly organized.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see Apple support Nintendo in some major way. I don't just don't see an iTunes channel making much sense. On paper it looks totally awesome, but in practice it just don't see it making much sense, or even being executed properly for that matter (let's try to get Ninty to fix the channels they do have before we start giving in to radical ideas)  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2007, 01:26:25 PM »

It's not video which I expect people would be downloading for their Wii, it's mp3s for use in game soundtracks.

I disagree. How many people would pay for music with the sole intention of using it to replace game soundtracks? Look at the Xbox Live Marketplace. The focus is on TV shows, and music isn't even offered. If there was a market for it, I think Microsoft would capitalize on it.

edit: but you do have a point about the itv's focus being HD. Apple might feel that offering low-def video on the Wii wouldn't threaten iTV sales. Maybe.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
I disagree. How many people would pay for music with the sole intention of using it to replace game soundtracks? Look at the Xbox Live Marketplace. The focus is on TV shows, and music isn't even offered. If there was a market for it, I think Microsoft would capitalize on it.

I don't mean that it would be JUST for the Wii: those mp3s would likely go right to the iPod.

The point is, what better way to get custom soundtracks into games than by plugging the most popular mp3 player in the world into your Wii?

Um, to be fair, it's not like Nintendo is the first company Apple's licensed the Quicktime codec to. It seems to be a basic transaction. It doesn't hint at all that there's going to be some OMG NIN-APPLE MEGATON!!!!!!! announcement. I don't see it happening, either.

It's not that Nintendo has licensed which runs up the red flag, it's the question of WHY they've licensed it.

In terms of viewing internet media, avi, divx, mpeg and wmv files are the most dominant, and all of those can be run WITHOUT licensing Quicktime.

My point is, why license QT if they didn't have some additional intentions for usage of the codec?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Did you read my first post? THEY ALREADY HAVE COLLABORATED by licensing the QuickTime codec to Nintendo.

And business logic dictates that they didn't license the QT codec without a VERY good reason for doing so.

That's an awfully huge jump to make.  Yes, there is some licensing involved in QuickTime usage; however it isn't something Apple is really apt to make heavy demands for.  It is also possible that Nintendo licensed a third party's multimedia software, and that company already had a QuickTime license.  If that is the case Nintendo never even had to talk to Apple.  Either way, they [whoever made the media player] may have just licensed it because its there, and people recognize the name.

However, lets assume that Nintendo is the source of the media player, and that they did negotiate with Apple.  

By comparison, integrating iTunes Music Store would require a complex feat of negotiation.  Nintendo isn't going to do it unless either A: Apple pays them, or B: Nintendo gets a cut, or C: They think it will sell Wiis.  Apple has no reason to do the first two, and the third doesn't seem like it would work.

Nintendo does what benefits them, and integrating iTunes with a set-top box isn't really much of a boon because if you have an iPod (not to mention a network) you already have a computer (and almost certainly iTunes).  
It's different than cell phones, that integrate iTunes, because those are portable devices.  They allow you to buy music when you're not home.  In this case it is a selling point for the phone, so Motorola was more than willing to GIVE Apple everything they would need to implement iTunes on the ROKR.  Obviously you can't use your Wii when you're out and about, so iTunes integration isn't really as affective a selling point.  On top of that, the fact the ROKR was met with disappointing sales.  Nintendo and Apple both know this.

From Apple's perspective, they have to be fully aware of that fact and it wouldn't really benefit their sales, it would simply set aside a portion of their sales for which they have to pay a third party (Nintendo).
I feel confidante in saying this because there is no reason to believe that people would make purchases on the Wii they would not make on the computer (that we have already determined they have).  Why would they?  If the iPod can be accessed by the Wii's USB 2.0 connector why NOT just use your computer to download the music?  What do you gain?

While it may happen I find it to be far from a foregone conclusion.  I think a more fleshed-out media player is the first thing we need.  
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »
Your post made me realize something: the feature of buying songs for an iTunes channel may very well not even exist.

However, the relationship is still very much mutually beneficial for Apple and Nintendo.

Nintendo would get a full-featured media player which could very likely be made to universally work with all Wii games made in the future so organizing custom soundtracks would be a thing of the past. Sony and MS both offer this and thus Nintendo could avoid being left out.

Apple would get the last 500 people who don't own iPods to finally go out and buy one because the iPod is not only the best means to transport songs to your Wii but it also makes for the ideal Wii storage device.

An iPod purchase becomes MUCH more justifiable when it serves multiple functions. When you're getting both an mp3 player and a huge memory card, it certainly would take the sting off of dropping $199. I used to use my old 10GB iPod to move massive files from computer to computer all the time ("sneakernet" as my dad calls it). The same would most definitely be true for the iPod as a storage device for the Wii.

One of the Wii's largest disadvantages is the fact that it has squat for internal storage, making games which receive updates like MMOs hard to pull off, as well as larger CD-based VC games.

Microsoft has done this with the 360 "core" package which contains no HD. If you want the storage, you can buy it separately.

In the case of the Wii, the SAME would be true, except instead of buying a rectangular piece of medal which you'll stick in your console and never see again, you'd buy an iPod, a storage device which can be conveniently attached to your Wii when you need the storage but serves as a memory card for transporting the data to a friend's home AND it can play music in your car on the way over there.

There's no downside to iPod integration, only a plethora of advantages for both companies: Nintendo offers its fans a convenient storage medium and one of the best media players in the world and Apple can sell the iPod as the best memory card available for the Wii.

The marketing angle is excellent for both companies which is why I predict it will happen.

As for purchasing, maybe they'd offer it and maybe not. It would seem strange not to include it as part of iTunes were an iTunes channel introduced. Apple has always been good about managing digital rights and I don't see why you couldn't simply authorize your Wii as one of the devices allowed to play songs.

But like I said, purchasing comes in a distant second to killing multiple birds with one stone.