Author Topic: Fly in the ointment?  (Read 4179 times)

Offline zakkiel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Fly in the ointment?
« on: September 17, 2005, 08:56:53 AM »
So, according to the gamepsot guy on the scene, people had to stand on a perviously marked "X". If this is true for the final version, it has the best chance of killing the Revolution. Seriously, nothing else is as much of a problem. People do not want to rearrange their living rooms around the limitations of their console. And I for one don't relish the thought of having to play shoulder-to-shoulder for multiplayer. Fortunately, I seriously doubt they will have this limitation in the final version.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Fly in the ointment?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »
I dont think that if thats the case Nintendo wouldve release as a teaser trailer people jumping on chairs while playing.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Fly in the ointment?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 09:03:19 AM »
"And the gamer won't have to sit in the same position every time they're playing a title that uses the motion-sensing function?

Absolutely not - the relative angle in front of the sensor bar is about the same as the viewing angle of the TV. So if you can see the TV, the controller is going to work."

Link
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »
Just saw that, and felt immense relief.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »
I'm still worried about actually placing the sensor bar.  It's not always a given that there is a nice flat surface above your tv.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 01:24:33 PM »
"These sensors can be detached from the bar and they can be above the TV or below the TV - it doesn't really matter."

Same link...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 01:53:30 PM »
So there's two sets of sensors, one that detects movement and one that points at the TV using a technology that works even where lightguns don't. That's what I'm getting from this, am I right?

Never mind... the shooting demo used a cursor. So it's probably one set of sensors.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 02:12:46 PM »
Why would it point at the tv?

This isn't lightgun technology, the sensors don't read anything from the TV. The sensors simply detect the movements which transmit to the machine and it then moves it on screen.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Fly in the ointment?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 02:13:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale
I'm still worried about actually placing the sensor bar.  It's not always a given that there is a nice flat surface above your tv.

But there's ALWAYS one below your TV.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 08:06:59 PM »
Eh the 'x' on the floor was because it was a tech demo.  This stuff is still 9 months from completion.  

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 08:08:03 PM »
Eh the 'x' on the floor was because it was a tech demo.  This stuff is still 9 months from completion.

And that commercial is sweet, but if you don't think it's a bit exagerated then think again.  It's a marketing tool.  A good one.  But that's all it is.

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 08:16:49 PM »
I don't know of any technological reason why the commercial couldn't work.

Offline HereticPB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 08:46:04 PM »
Just don't sit on the side of your TV cause it won't work.
Visit my sites
| Nintendo Centrum | NC Forums |

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 09:56:07 PM »
People who work at Gamespot and simular store like to think they are a bastion of knowledge when it comes from games. But usually their information comes from Sony and Microsoft reps because they are working so much they don't have the time to do their own research.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 11:21:57 PM »
So I'm not going to be able to use the controller while standing BEHIND my tv! WHAT CRAP!

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 07:16:36 AM »
That's a good point, BlkPaladin. And we've always heard that Nintendo reps are notoriously absent compared to their Sony and MS counterparts. They're going to need a much greater presence in stores if they really want people to try out and understand the Revolution. So they'll have to increase their contact with stores as well.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 08:18:59 AM »
as Merrik said in the interview, what Nintendo is having problems now is with communication, because its not easy to let people understand the Rev. And it works fine if you sit by the side of your Tv as the damn link says, why people still question it is absurd, if you can see the Tv you  can play with the Rev, its really that simple, theres no reason for Merrik to have lied about that.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro