Author Topic: The bad starts already...  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The bad starts already...
« on: January 28, 2005, 06:11:52 AM »
GameFaqs has been doing "When will ____ release their new console?" as their poll of the day the past few days. Today is Nintendo. There is, however, one large difference between Nintendo's poll and MS's and Sony's. There is a 'never' option. I did a double take when I realize this. Why would Nintendo be the only one with never!? It looks like people are starting to line up against them already.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The bad starts already...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 06:28:44 AM »
First off, let me say that it's a retarded poll from the start.  Polls should be based on opinion, not conjecture.  That's dumb.
Secondly, I hope GameFaqs burns in Hell.  What an asshole-ish thing to say.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 06:32:37 AM »
This sort of biased crap started well before this.  For the last year or so whenever discussion of the next generation comes up it's always "PS3 and Xbox Next" with Nintendo's followup not mentioned.  Although this is more common in mainstream media you see it in the gaming media as well which is quite ridiculous since a site like 1up.com for example KNOWS that Nintendo is releasing a new console.

It shows how important it is that Nintendo just nails it with the Revolution.  The marketing, the games, and the system itself have to be PERFECT.  They have to get people to notice and get people interested.  Otherwise it's just going to get ignored or if there's any sort of flaw it's going to get ripped to shreds by critics.  It's come to the point where it seems like pretty much anyone that isn't a Nintendo supporter wants Nintendo to fail and is doing whatever they can to ensure it.  Third parties, retailers, and the media are anti-Nintendo.  Nintendo has to somehow fight them off and suck up to them at the same time.

The Gamecube had a lot of pre-release bias against it as well and Nintendo handled it HORRIBLY as they had initially weak third party support, a weak launch, and a huge release drought.  The Revolution can probably overcome this problem somewhat by addressing pre-conceived negative opinions early on and taking a real pro-active approach to winning the haters over.  People are worried about Revolution third party support for example so thus that problem has to be fixed NOW.  Nintendo has to make deals with third parties and attract them right now.  That's the way they have to handle it.  If people are worried about something now is the time to address it because there's still time to fix it before launch.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
RE:The bad starts already...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 06:39:35 AM »
You know as insulting as that poll is, at least they are acknowledging nintendo's existence, alot of the media just seems to skip over nintendo as if it doesn't exist.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 12:12:53 PM »
AFAIK, GameFAQs puts those in there as a sort of "fanboy magnet" so that the rest of the poll is somewhat unnaffected by the irrational Nintendo haters.

If anything, I think it's just a reflection of the current state of the entire GameFAQs forums (which also says something).

Edit: I just noticed that they held polls for the PS3 and Xenon before they had the Revolution one, and both of those polls were identical, with no "joke" options. Also, they re-worded the Revolution's longest option to become "2007 or later" as opposed to "Not until 2007."

So now I basically figure that it comes down to CJayC having messed with the Revolution poll, either because he's an anti-Nintendo fanboy, or because he just wanted to piss off all of the Nintendo fans at GameFAQs (perhaps because he noticed that getting them all worked up generates more hits, like IGN does). Either way, CJayC's an asshat.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 08:47:28 PM »
i figure the next system will proably go back to giving nintendo graphic superiority...

so im sure that will give them back points once people see the games....

as of now it seems everyone wants resident evil 4
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 10:45:46 PM »

Originally posted by: Avinash_Tyagi
You know as insulting as that poll is, at least they are acknowledging nintendo's existence, alot of the media just seems to skip over nintendo as if it doesn't exist.

Yea but they're a games dedicated website, they should already recognise Nintendo. If it was just some electronics website or software website maybe it's understandable, but that poll is just plain insulting.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Online Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 09:49:58 AM »
"i figure the next system will proably go back to giving nintendo graphic superiority...

so im sure that will give them back points once people see the games...."

You're assuming that Nintendo will actually use the Rev's graphics to their full capacity.  The Gamecube is easily capable of making graphics that completely squash everything else (Resident Evil 4) but Nintendo themselves have yet to have really used it.  Except for SSBM most of Mario's Cube games look like glorified Dreamcast games.  Super Mario Sunshine didn't underwhelm people graphically because the Cube has weaker graphics than the Xbox.  It underwhelmed because Nintendo chose to make it look like that.  So it really won't matter how good the Rev's graphic capabilities are if Nintendo puts the bare minimum of effort needed into their graphics.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 09:59:13 AM »
Uh oh, not more graphics arguments...I'm going to go back to *playing* my games...

Wind Waker is the most beautiful game ever...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~