Author Topic: Nintendo France Rep: Smash Bros. Wii U Uses NFC  (Read 8253 times)

Nintendo France Rep: Smash Bros. Wii U Uses NFC
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »

A French interview lends credence to suspicions regarding Nintendo’s NFC plans.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37500/nintendo-france-rep-smash-bros-wii-u-uses-nfc

In an interview with French publication Le Figaro, Nintendo France Managing Director Stephan Bole said that Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will use NFC in some capacity.

The interview was fairly wide-ranging, and talk eventually turned to Nintendo’s E3 plans. “E3 is also an opportunity to show the use of NFC technology in Nintendo consoles,” stated Bole. “The NFC will be used in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros.”

Nintendo first revealed plans for an NFC-enabled lined of figurines, called NFP, in this month’s year-end financial results briefing. A more formal introduction for NFP and the first related games or functionality has been promised for E3 2014, when more Super Smash Bros. information is also scheduled to come out.

We have reached out to Nintendo for confirmation and clarification regarding this statement, but for now take it with a grain of salt as no announcement has been made through official channels.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo France Rep: Smash Bros. Wii U Uses NFC
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
Good and bad. Mostly good.

As far as exclusives go I bet only things like costumes, songs and trophies will be available. I'm guessing if I get a Dixie Kong figure I can unlock her right away rather than the games way. Also we might be able to store our player data on them when we run around to tournaments and friends houses. New Wii U set up without all the characters? Scan your figure and all your personal info and settings could be loaded up right away.

Only bad side is paying for these things but who am I kidding? I'm sucker for WELL MADE figures!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
Something tells me...this is the reason why Smash Bros is pushed back until Winter.  I bet Nintendo wanted this game as a summer release, but then decided to add this new strategy into the game. 

So the question is what can we expect from these NFCs?  How about 1-3 real miniature trophy packs.  Perhaps with 2 new assist trophies and 1 new character and level?  Sounds unlikely, perhaps, but SOME of the new characters could just be modifications to existing characters. 

For example:

Luigi with a full Luigi's Mansion move set.
Doctor Mario with pills floating different than fireballs
Wolf, Falco...ect being Fox clones are a good idea for figures.

It would be an interesting way to handle downloadable content, because you can get a figurine, charge more, and have parents feel they are getting tricked into in-app like purchases.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »
*sigh*

Well, I'm not surprised (it was obvious from the moment that they announced the NFC figures that they'd be used on Smash Bros.) but still...it's disappointing. If Nintendo wants to get in on the Skylanders gimmickry, fine. I just wish they'd contain it to games built around it so I can choose not to care about it. As it is, I'm left concerned that Nintendo's going to make me pay Skylanders-caliber cash to see all the content in Smash Bros. to make up for all the money they've lost on Wii U.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

Something tells me...this is the reason why Smash Bros is pushed back until Winter.  I bet Nintendo wanted this game as a summer release, but then decided to add this new strategy into the game. 

So the question is what can we expect from these NFCs?  How about 1-3 real miniature trophy packs.  Perhaps with 2 new assist trophies and 1 new character and level?  Sounds unlikely, perhaps, but SOME of the new characters could just be modifications to existing characters. 

For example:

It would be an interesting way to handle downloadable content, because you can get a figurine, charge more, and have parents feel they are getting tricked into in-app like purchases.

Right now I should think that the main purpose of the figurines would be for transferring character-specific data (like the sticker-attributes in Brawl) to other Wii U consoles.   

I don't mind if they have character or stage DLC tied to the figurines if there will be an alternate way to purchase it in-game; I have enough clutter around my house and I'm way past the point where I want to have lying around.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »
Without knowing what Nintendo is using the NFC figures for in Super Smash Bros., it's difficult to gage how to feel about this. If it's just for adding to your in-game trophy collection, sure. If they're locking gameplay related content behind them and that's the only way to obtain the data:

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
Kid Icarus Uprising used collectible AR cards to unlock idols in the game.

There were around 400+ cards and they went rare very fast.

This wasn't a problem becuase idols were just in game models with some trivia and could be unlocked through two other means anyway (paying hearts or doing one of the 600 achievements).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »
This wasn't a problem becuase idols were just in game models with some trivia and could be unlocked through two other means anyway (paying hearts or doing one of the 600 achievements).

As long as the content isn't exclusively gated to the NFC figures I'll be fine.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
Given how Nintendo's used DLC and free-to-play mechanics so far I'd be very surprised if anything of substance were only available through the figures.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
I'm betting it'll be instant character unlocks and new assist trophies or something like that.

Nothing substantial, but neat nonetheless.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
Considering how they so far presented the NFP, and just by the name. I have a conjecture that the figures will not be bound to a single title or game series. I made a post a while back on another site about "epic games" and how you could technically use data to make the players data go further in other titles across platforms (in this case Wii U and 3DS and thus making a customer more likely to buy a title may not have if it was just a stand alone project.

They technically could do something like that with these figures. For one game the figure unlocks the character to play in the game call this "tier 1 interaction", in other it unlock some extra content maybe depending on their progress with that charter or any figure in the first tier, "tier 2" and then have a software that can be accessed via MiiVerse or it own site, that shows off the progress and the figures that the person has, making the NFP more of a "Gamer Score" but with a little more substance.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
It's weird to see so many people basically asking for anything unlocked by NFC chips to be the equivalent of Horse Armor.

If I'm paying $10-$15 per figure, I want it to do something significant in the game.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
Only in Super Smash Bros. and maybe Mario Kart. I don't want to buy the NFC figures so I certainly don't want content I care about locked behind the figures. If Nintendo wants to release games that revolve around the NFC figures, that's fine by me as I can simply ignore those games. Introducing the NFC figures into an established series, particularly one I really like, changes that dynamic. As long as I don't need the NFC figures to unlock significant portions of the game, I don't mind it existing. If it's something like instant character unlocks, sure, whatever. I can still play the game and unlock stuff and/or things the old fashioned way. If I can only get unlock something via a $10 to $15 figure, that can kindly get the **** out of my face.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »
I can see some stages requiring the NFC figurine, but not characters.  The roster in the 3DS version is supposed to be the same as the Wii U version, and by doing that you're making it essentially not the same or charging more for the same.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »

For example:

Right now I should think that the main purpose of the figurines would be for transferring character-specific data (like the sticker-attributes in Brawl) to other Wii U consoles.   

I don't mind if they have character or stage DLC tied to the figurines if there will be an alternate way to purchase it in-game; I have enough clutter around my house and I'm way past the point where I want to have lying around.
The Wii remote can already store character data/

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
Only in Super Smash Bros. and maybe Mario Kart. I don't want to buy the NFC figures so I certainly don't want content I care about locked behind the figures. If Nintendo wants to release games that revolve around the NFC figures, that's fine by me as I can simply ignore those games. Introducing the NFC figures into an established series, particularly one I really like, changes that dynamic. As long as I don't need the NFC figures to unlock significant portions of the game, I don't mind it existing. If it's something like instant character unlocks, sure, whatever. I can still play the game and unlock stuff and/or things the old fashioned way. If I can only get unlock something via a $10 to $15 figure, that can kindly get the **** out of my face.

The thing is, though, if the figures are just Horse Armor, Nintendo will get lambasted for such a lazy, pathetic, gimmick feature.

If the figures do something amazingly outstanding, Nintendo will get lambasted for gouging consumers.

It's no-win.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »
It depends on who you're talking to. There are certainly people who think Nintendo does everything wrong. So be it. I can't speak for anyone else. I'm fine with NFC figures unlocking "Horse Armor" in Super Smash Bros. The NFC figures are specifically being made for completely different games so really, it'd be like getting a bonus when applied to minor things in other titles, like downloading DLC for one game and it have you stuff in a different game as well. If Nintendo wants to make their own Skylanders or Infinity, those are the games that the NFC figures can unlock substantial content in because the figures and the games are so entwined. I'll only have an issue with the NFC figures should Nintendo decide they must play a major role in most if not all their future titles. I really don't see that happening. Outside of a Skylanders-style game, I expect the NFC figures unlocking stuff mostly like how connecting Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion gave you some neat but mostly inconsequential stuff. I can certainly live with that.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo can really have it both ways with this one, if the figurines are designed to work with multiple titles.  That kinda makes it a win-win.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
C'est la vie.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »
I disagree.  Look at all the crap Skylanders gets.  That series was built from the ground up to revolve around the idea of figures unlocking stuff in the game - and a lot of people complain about how it's a money sink by the evil Activision to ensnare kids and their parent's wallets.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 11:38:44 PM »

For example:

I don't mind if ... if there will be an alternate way to purchase it in-game; I have enough clutter around my house and I'm way past the point where I want to have lying around.

This sentiment is everything to a Nintendo fan these days, I don't mind not having online if it means a better single player experience. I don't mind not having deep cinematic experiences in my games if it means getting tighter controls, I don't mind not having HD graphics as long as I get innovative controls, I don't mind Nintendo doing something stupid as long as they throw me a bone too... and then after nearly fifteen years of this Bull **** people have had enough.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »
I disagree.  Look at all the crap Skylanders gets.  That series was built from the ground up to revolve around the idea of figures unlocking stuff in the game - and a lot of people complain about how it's a money sink by the evil Activision to ensnare kids and their parent's wallets.

Could be because there are 242 figurines and 4 games.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
I do like the idea of the figurine being a transferable quick key as well.  Tap it to the Gamepad at the friends house and it temporarily lets there save use all that you've unlocked (That doesn't require Downloading).  Tap it in a Game where it has record of you beating a similar game and just unlocking Hard Mode from the get go.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
"I hope these only unlock something minor."

"If we're going to have to buy figures it should unlock something worthwhile."

If you read between the lines on both these arguments the message is "I don't want to participate in this nonsense."  The whole concept seems entirely to the benefit of Nintendo.  Skylanders is a scam.

I won't lie - I want this to fail huge for Nintendo.  It's more my dislike for the whole concept but I don't give a **** about Activision and Spyro.  This didn't affect me.  Now it's infecting games I do like so it does affect me.  I don't want Nintendo to use it so I want it to fail.  It would be nice if someone else took the fall with the concept and just spooked the hell out of Nintendo so they never end up using it but that's probably not going to happen.