Author Topic: New Kirby Wii Game from HAL Laboratory  (Read 4606 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
New Kirby Wii Game from HAL Laboratory
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »

The upcoming title will again feature the inhaled power of Kirby's enemies.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24962

Nintendo announced a new Kirby Wii title at an investors meeting in Japan today.

The title, developed by longtime Kirby developers HAL Laboratory, will return to Kirby's old style of gameplay. Last year, Kirby starred in Kirby's Epic Yarn, which didn't feature the inhalation mechanics of older Kirby games.

Nintendo is planning to release the title in Japan this year. There has been no news yet regarding a worldwide release.

The trailer below was presented to investors. While the game appears similar to other HAL-developed games, more devastating versions of Kirby's powers, such as a giant sword, are demonstrated.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline circasurviver

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Kirby Wii Game from HAL Laboratory
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
Shocked & Stoked
Kelso: 0001-3810-6499
Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »
Hole eff, this game actually has some epic moments.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:33:49 PM »
Looks good and Kirby gameplay is lots of fun.  BUT it just looks so generic compared to Epic Yarn.  They really needed to release these games in the opposite order.

Offline KidBomb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
I've been waiting for this since Kirby 64!  Hopefully they can top the mechanics of that game (combining three abilities, maybe?).

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
Wow, I can't believe they are actually going to release this game after nearly a decade of teasing it! Looks really good, too. Please have good level designs and a bit of challenge...
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
I wonder how much this game has in common with what was shown before though. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:54:18 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
YES! This is a better thing to wake up to see than that clip of that Bollywood robot movie.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
I totally did not expect this announcement. So cool.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
Um, okay. Bit strange that Kirby's renaissance is happening all at once. Epic Yarn hasn't been in circulation for long (still not out in Europe), and yet we've got 2 new Kirby games announced, one for DS and one for Wii, both of which I assume are coming from HAL Lab.

That said, the trailer looks decent. It seems to be closer to most other Kirby games, but I like some of the additions shown in the trailer, particularly the ability to suck in loads of stuff and then spit out a giant star.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
Perhaps the decision to release KEY first was smart on Nintendo's part. The easiness of the game might have helped usher in some new Kirby players, and the new Kirby game, which appears more true to the Kirby formula, will draw in fans of KEY. This new Kirby game may probably be a lot harder and may also utilize the Super Guide.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
Well if you look at the development side, this game has been under development (in some form) for years.  Epic Yarn originally wasn't a Kirby game, and they added in Kirby.  I'm not sure how much was strategic, and how much was just the way things were completed.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
I'm wondering if perhaps the recent progress on this Kirby title was unexpected.  If Epic Yarn was originally not a Kirby game and Nintendo knew they had a Kirby game so close to completion it seems kind of silly to turn Epic Yarn into a Kirby game.  I'm wondering if with all the delays Nintendo just lost their patience with HAL and had Good Feel put Kirby into their yarn game to get some sort of Kirby game for the Wii out there.  And then either that inspired HAL to get moving on this or there was a bit of miscommunication and Nintendo was not aware of how close HAL was and had stopped asking HAL for updates, figuring something that had been in development hell for so long was a dead project.

Or Nintendo is just a bunch of franchise whores that couldn't let this yarn game be released without some established character associated with it, even when said character will have his own Wii game so soon afterwards.  You never know.

Kirby and HAL have now been involed with two development hell projects.  Kirby Air Ride started off as an N64 launch game and was not released until midway through the Gamecube's life.  Now this Kirby game started as a Cube title and is only now being released (presumably) late into the Wii's life.  How much money did both projects cost Nintendo?  You figure HAL would be in hot water for something like this but then Iwata used to work for HAL so maybe he cuts them slack.  Nintendo was apparently pissed at Rare for their inability to stay on schedule but they never had anything get delayed for six or seven years!  Conker seemed to be in development forever but it didn't take nearly as long to develop as these two titles.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
If Epic Yarn was originally not a Kirby game

Do you have any details? This is the first time I have ever seen this mentioned.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »
OK, thanks MB.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
Dude, I just got Epic Yarn two days ago! Even though I never played any Kirby game, I have to say that Epic Yarn is pretty fuckin' awesome. It almost looks HD on my 40' HDTV. Now I understand what Jonny meant when he said, "the visuals are kiddy, but the music is adult". It's almost as if this game was interned for adults. Epic Yarn so far is better than DKCR.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Kirby and HAL have now been involed with two development hell projects.  Kirby Air Ride started off as an N64 launch game and was not released until midway through the Gamecube's life.  Now this Kirby game started as a Cube title and is only now being released (presumably) late into the Wii's life.  How much money did both projects cost Nintendo?  You figure HAL would be in hot water for something like this but then Iwata used to work for HAL so maybe he cuts them slack.  Nintendo was apparently pissed at Rare for their inability to stay on schedule but they never had anything get delayed for six or seven years!  Conker seemed to be in development forever but it didn't take nearly as long to develop as these two titles.

HAL has been a poorly managed mess ever since Iwata left.  This is also one of the reason why Sakurai left HAL because he was pissed at how the management kept interfering with the development of Kirby Air Ride, resulting in the final game being nothing like how he wanted it to be.  This is one of the reason why even though Iwata has gotten Sakurai to come back to work for Nintendo, Sakurai has said he has no interest in ever working with HAL again.

Here's the games HAL made while Iwata was the president between 1993-2000.

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Vegas Stakes
Kirby's Star Stacker
Kirby's Super Star Stacker
Pokémon Snap
Pokemon Stadium (Japan Only)
Pokémon Stadium 2 (American and Europe's first Pokemon Stadium)
Pokémon Stadium 3 (America and Europe's Pokemon Stadium 2)
SimCity 64
Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
Super Smash Bros.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut

Here's the games HAL has made after Iwata was no longer president from 2001 - 2011.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby Air Ride
Kirby Canvas Curse
Pokémon Ranger
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Picross 3D
Upcoming Kirby DS game
Kirby Wii

So yeah, it's become very clear that the reason HAL became such a huge success was because of Iwata's leadership.  Without him, the studio has just fallen apart.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:48:45 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
I rather have this for 3DS

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »
It's games and info like this that reminds me that we live in a world where we can look forward to awesome games like this. Remember E3 2010? Alot of us were probably exited as hell for those newly announced games and 3DS console (especially Paper Mario 3D for me =D) and now we're exited for this game on Wii. It's just great to be able to experience such amazing games, information about those games, rumors about games, and all that stuff. If there's anyone in the world who's never even tried a video game before in their life, then I really feel sorry for them, because they will never know what it means to play a video game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »
I like the abilities shown in the teaser, but the area in which Kirby games are usually lacking is stage design. I'd like to see more stages designed around abilities, so hopefully they instill some of that creativity they've channeled into the powers into other aspects of the game.

Offline Meaphist

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintenfan.com
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 04:28:15 AM »
Can't wait for a new Kirby Game, Hal Labs is a great talent.