Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 410562 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #700 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »
If a controller had small swappable parts, I would either lose them or they would promptly become cat toys without my consent. I can't be bothered. If I use a controller long enough, I get used to it. Considering I play mostly on Nintendo hardware, switching between 3DS and the GamePad/Pro Controller will be a breeze as the layouts are nearly identical.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
So to sum up some of the major rumours of the PS4:

- Paid online service like Xbox Live
- Locking out used games
- $500+ price point

The rumours are all BAD things.  How the hell would anyone get hyped about that sort of stuff?  All this says to me is that the PS4 is a non-purchase for me and the Wii U would get my dollar by default.  I don't think Nintendo is doing a great job with the Wii U but with the rumours for the other systems, they might not have to.  Screwing up the least might be enough to succeed.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 20, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
You could also opt for nothing. Just because Wii U is the best option doesn't mean it's a good one for you. You're claiming that Nintendo isn't doing a great job, but you'd still give them money? Don't get me wrong, I love the Wii U. However, buying something for the sake of buying it when you find it to be mediocre seems like a waste to me. No shame in walking away.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
I have a feeling Ian is talking about 1-3 years in the future.  I don't think he's planning to buy any new gen system this year.

They won't announce anything involving money at this event.  This will all be about hype and any time you mention money, you lose some of that hype.  So the paid online will not be discussed (though they may mention an upgraded PSN) and neither will the price of the system be announced.  I don't think they'll wait until 2 months out like Nintendo did, but they will wait at least until E3 for pricing and probably make an event in July to announce all the pricing details.

This event will announce the PS4, state all the theoretical graphics it can output (Sony loves their specs).  It will include a tech demo that will never be possible in a full size game.  The Cloud BC may be announced.  It probably won't be called PS4.

And finally, a lot of gaming news outlets will state that this will mean the end of Nintendo as a console maker.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
They won't announce anything involving money at this event.  This will all be about hype and any time you mention money, you lose some of that hype.
I have to disagree there.  If Sony came out and showed a console that was just leaps and bounds above the Wii U and then went "Oh, and its only $250"  That would be HUGE hype.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: February 20, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »
They won't announce anything involving money at this event.  This will all be about hype and any time you mention money, you lose some of that hype.
I have to disagree there.  If Sony came out and showed a console that was just leaps and bounds above the Wii U and then went "Oh, and its only $250"  That would be HUGE hype.
never happening

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
Who'd have thought that the decision to buy a console end up deciding which is the lesser of the evils, not which one I like the best.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #707 on: February 20, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »

Of course that will never happen since Sony is already losing money severly (to the point that their credit rating has been slashed and their stock price dropped 20%), at $250 they would be losing at least $150 per system. And the rumor I am hearing is that the PS4 will come in two price points of $430 and $530.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
Surely the analog stick position issue could be solved simply. Release 2 models of the controller. You prefer Dualshock setup, buy that one. You want a 360 position, there's a model that has the left analog stick where the dpad is currently. Best of both worlds.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
Surely the analog stick position issue could be solved simply. Release 2 models of the controller. You prefer Dualshock setup, buy that one. You want a 360 position, there's a model that has the left analog stick where the dpad is currently. Best of both worlds.
Or just buy the third party version of the PS3 controller that looks like a 360 controller.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 20, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Wow, a lot of people just got buzz cut by a plane in this thread.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
You could also opt for nothing. Just because Wii U is the best option doesn't mean it's a good one for you. You're claiming that Nintendo isn't doing a great job, but you'd still give them money? Don't get me wrong, I love the Wii U. However, buying something for the sake of buying it when you find it to be mediocre seems like a waste to me. No shame in walking away.

Yeah I figure as the game industry in general changes to incorporate concepts I don't want to support then, yeah, walking away is an option.

Still even with Nintendo as the lesser of three evils, they could potentially be doing something that is so against what I don't want, that I feel it would be worthwhile for me to support them.  A big part of why I stuck with them for so long was because they had a philosophy towards game design that I felt was good for videogames as a whole and I wanted that philosophy to be supported and encouraged.  I think they've lost track of that BUT if the Wii U was the only system that didn't lock out used games wouldn't that be worth supporting?  Since I don't want that concept to succeed at all and become standard practice in the entire videogame industry, it would be in my best interests that the company that doesn't push that "feature" is the one that does the best.  Squashing the used-game lockout concept would be worth dealing with a Nintendo console that doesn't quite satisfy me, to a point.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 20, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
Since I don't want that concept to succeed at all and become standard practice in the entire videogame industry, it would be in my best interests that the company that doesn't push that "feature" is the one that does the best.  Squashing the used-game lockout concept would be worth dealing with a Nintendo console that doesn't quite satisfy me, to a point.
Understood. However, I don't think I could buy something for that reason if I found the rest of it mediocre. I love Nintendo, but they get my money when they earn it with something tangible that I can enjoy (e.g. games, not the concept of used games).

Anyway...

I'm watching the PS4 Announcement. I'm a bit underwhelmed. It reminds me of the PS3 in that there's a lot of stuff that sounds nice when talked about, but when I get the console in my hands, I never use any of those features. In fact, I find some of the new features really intrusive. They want to know enough about me to predict the next game I'll download. NO! I want them to know as little about me as possible. I don't want people to be able to look into my games while I'm playing. I don't want backseat gamer friends to shout instructions to me when I suck at games (which is often). I'm sure you can turn it off, but the fact that it's there is quite disconcerting/creepy to me. It's the same reason I'm so against the rumored Always-Online-Kinect-Required Durango. I don't want anyone or any company to be so integrated into my personal space. Get that Share Button crap out of my face. Do not want.

As for the graphics, it doesn't leave the current generation in the dust. It's pretty, but so is Wii U. I was more excited when I saw the Zelda demo. Seeing Zelda in HD did it for me. Although it looked nice, nothing about the graphics in that demo blew me away. Being Zelda blew me away. I know that's biased. It doesn't matter though. That's what I want and only Nintendo offers that to me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 20, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
So what's the summary of PS4 stuff?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 20, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm turned off by all the social nonsense regarding the PS4.  I rolled my eyes at Miiverse for the same reason.

I don't care.  I play games during the times when I can get AWAY from the rest of the world.  All other time is either sleep, dealing with other people's bullshit, or spending time with my family and friends and, oddly enough, that time is usually spent doing things other than videogames.  For me the selling point of a videogame is that when I want some time to myself I can get lost in Zebes and forget about everything else.  To me it's like a book.  Would you ever in a million years put effort into expanding the social elements of books?  Would you spend time building a library that is loud and distracting?

Now multiplayer games have always existed so there is some logic to focusing on the social elements of a videogame system.  But if it is not related to playing the game I don't see the point.  I think the real reason they're doing it is because Facebook is the hip thing and they feel they have to associate themselves with it.

Other stuff that's gets focused on: non-game functionality and gimmick controls.  I don't give a **** about that crap either but if I buy a current videogame system I HAVE to pay for it.  It's not free, it affects the price.  That's why I was hostile towards the Wii U Gamepad and I'm equally hostile to the EyeToy and Kinect (which I assume will be standard in the next Xbox).

Whenever you watch some big videogame press conference there is just tons of time spent on non-gaming functions, gimmicks, and social media.  The videogames are like "...oh yeah, right, that stuff".  I really just want to pop in a good game, made for people that actually like videogames and that has tight responsive controls, and have a good time playing it.  These days I feel like I'm asking for the moon on a platter when I say that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 20, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »
So what's the summary of PS4 stuff?

Conference is not over yet.

Every game that has been shown has been a realistic or magical mess (except for one that looked like a cellshaded version of the Mist).

Stop saying good morning and good evening. Yes, there is a time difference in the world. Just say HELLO or GOOD DAY.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:42:34 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 20, 2013, 07:41:11 PM »
I'm honestly trying to keep my emotions about this in check but I really need to be see new games from Nintendo for the Wii U and I need to see them much sooner rather then later. This presentation is making me feel somewhat down about the Wii U at the moment. Not so much the graphics as I'm not sure what is gameplay and what is cinematic (think it's all cinematic but I haven't seen the full presentation) but the fact that the PS4 is actually getting NEW games and NEW engines.

Nothing like this at all has been said in regard to the Wii U. That I must say is super depressing at the moment.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 20, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »
I am not impressed by anything that Sony has offered so far. They are just simply rehashing what they have already done with previous Playstation consoles. I wish they would quit hyping the remote play with the Vita and release some damn games for it, or, better yet, put it out of its misery. Looks like I will be getting a Wii U after all.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 20, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »
I think that dude from Ubisoft just nutted in his pants.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 20, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »
Cheer up EmoStar9x!

WatchDogs is on stage.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
Didn't Diablo 3 kinda bomb?

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
In the end this is how you debut a new system. Now what Nintendo did. :(

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 20, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
Really? I didn't think Sony did anything special. "Here's a bunch of features you won't use, but we'll use to spy on you. Also, here are some games that look marginally better than what your PS3 can do. Also, we're spying on you."

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 20, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Bummer for PS fans, there is nothing ps3 can't do that ps4 is bringing to the table. Sure the system does sports higher specs, but from the games shown there is no where to be found a giant leap in graphics, and to make matters worse they didnt even show the system after two hours of talking, talking and taking.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 20, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
Really? Would have thought they would have done that first. Like I said I didn't see it all but what I did see I did like and how things were presented. Then again perhaps it's just me being disappointed with how Nintendo handle things, both years and is still handling t hings, that allowed this to come off better then it actually was.