Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592830 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 5/11/13
« Reply #5525 on: February 10, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
Rayman Legends Demo is my daughter's favorite Wii U game. We only have a few plays left...until September. This is retarded. They should just release the entire game as a demo.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: February 10, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »
Rayman Legends Demo is my daughter's favorite Wii U game. We only have a few plays left...until September. This is retarded. They should just release the entire game as a demo.
Wouldn't that be amazing?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: February 10, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
Wouldn't that be amazing?
I totally forgot about play limit.

Releasing another demo you can play only 30 times seems to be even crueler joke now.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
Even crueler would be to tie it to the original demo play limit.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:27 AM »
Even crueler would be to tie it to the original demo play limit.
You're tearing me apart, Ubisoft!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5982965/nintendo-fan-is-unhappy-with-nintendos-200-answer-to-his-400-wii-u-problem

Jon is an enthusiastic Nintendo fan. He buys all of Nintendo's systems. He buys many, many Nintendo games. But he's gotten himself into a jam that he says has cost him access to more than $400 worth of downloadable games he's purchased from Nintendo over the several years.

How does one lose access to $400 worth of games?
Unfortunately for Jon, who asked that I not use his last name but who was hoping some coverage might wake Nintendo up about this issue, it doesn't seem to be that hard. It's partially a result of Nintendo's strict policies about downloadable games—policies that differ from other industry leaders such as Apple's, and don't seem set to change any time soon.

For several years, Jon used to download lots of old Virtual Console games to his Wii. He bought a bunch of Wii eShop games, too. Recently, with the enthusiasm any Nintendo fan has for a new Nintendo machine, he bought a Wii U. He set up a Nintendo ID on the system, transferred his Wii games to that Wii U and then discovered that he'd bought a lemon.

"My Wii U console would flash its red power light when I tried to turn it on," he told me in an e-mail. "I let it go for days, and kept trying. It just was not a reliable system."

At that point, what Jon should have done was contacted Nintendo. He didn't. He did something that seemed like a perfectly natural reflex: he took his Wii U back to the store he bought it from and swapped it for a new one. Problem solved? Not at all. He'd just created his new problem.

He took the new Wii U home and discovered he couldn't set up the same Nintendo ID he'd used on the first system. He had to make a new ID. Then, he said, he found out that he couldn't get those $400+ worth of games onto his new Wii U. They were locked to the broken one... the one he didn't have anymore. As far as Nintendo's online infrastructure was concerned, he wasn't the Jon of old. He was new, and he didn't have a right to those games.

http://nintendofunclubpodcast.wordpr...service-rules/

Nintendo Customer Service Rules
Posted on January 11, 2013

If you follow this blog or the podcast, you may know that I had some, uh, issues with my Wii to Wii U transfer process.

Well, I spoke with Nintendo again earlier today, and it’s been worked out.

And then some.

Basically, Nintendo remotely deleted the licences for my Virtual Console and WiiWare purchases remotely from my Wii system, and credited my Wii shop on the Wii U with 57000 points ($570, the value of my Wii Virtual Console/Wiiware library). Then they gave me a bonus $50 to my Wii U account for “the inconvenience.”

I now have the freedom and means to build the ultimate Virtual Console library on my Wii U.

I loved my Wii Virtual Console library and felt it was a very strong one, so 75% of what I buy will likely be the same. But I bought some duds along the 6+ year journey I spent cultivating the library, mistakes I certainly will not be repeating. There are also quite a few titles on the shop that I want, but never purchased, so all my “man, I kind of wish I would have bought X rather than Y” regrets are now moot. My Wii VC is getting a second chance, a clean slate.

So really, this turned out to be a blessing of sorts. It was a a bit of a pain, but this really was the best possible outcome for a seemingly hopeless and unprecedented scenario.

I’m incredibly satisfied with the way this turned out, but if I said this great customer service and very generous gesture by the company made me a lifelong customer and supporter, I’d be lying.

I was made a lifelong customer and supporter of Nintendo in 1988, when I first played The Legend of Zelda on the NES and it changed my life and made me fall completely in love with not just Nintendo, but the medium in general. Since then, Nintendo, like any creative/tech company has had its ups and downs, but they have always brought my life more joy and positivity than frustration in the decades since I first placed that gold cartridge into my NES.

In the end, this issue was resolved in a satisfactory way that, while there are some downsides (bye bye Last Story and Super Smash Bros. Brawl save data), the benefits of cherry-picking my Virtual Console library and basically getting a free Wii U game certainly outweigh the negatives.

Just add this to the list of reasons why I love Nintendo and will remain a loyal customer and supporter to the end.

LOL this is exactly why Nintendo gets away with this crap. Why do mos at Nintendo fans have this weird abusive relationship with Nintendo where they will defend even the most obvious annoying practices of the company.

I mean on Gonintendo and Nintendo,life I have seen comments defending the account tied to hardware and the proper account system way of doing things as wrong.

Maybe its because I was a multiple console owner this generation but I don't get it. I was in a thread where someone said they didn't need third party support as it mostly sucked but then ad,cited to only having minute do systems.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: February 11, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
So they add him money on account and now he has to restore his digital collection by himself one by one on Wii Shop?

That kind of hassle is worth more than just 50$.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: February 11, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
@shingi LOL ok calm down the Xbox fanboy hate now. Here's the thing: if he was such a "Nintendo fan" then the dipshit shouldn't have instantly sold his Wii U. He would've known that he wouldn't have been able to, just like everyone on this forum knew that months before the system released. If he would've cooled his jets and called Nintendo before he sold it, we would've got everything figured out. Nintendo has no responsibility if the dude is an idiot.

I know that they aren't doing it just like everything else, and I hate that it's the way it is, but in that particular case, it's his own damn fault.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
But this problem shouldn't exist in the first place. Honestly that is my only true gripe about the Wii U and the 3DS. I really want to pick up Fire Emblem as a DD but I'm deathly afraid of loading a $40 game because Nintendo can't set up a proper account system.

Anywho EA announced no Tiger  Woods Golf for the Wii U. Between this and Madden something is truly up.

Its pretty disappointing as the Wii Tiger Woods Games were the best thus a far.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
[size=78%]Anywho EA announced no Tiger  Woods Golf for the Wii U. Between this and Madden something is truly up. [/size]

Personally, I really don't give two craps about EA. The only interest I have in what they are selling is the NHL series. I suppose if they ever reacquired the MLB license, I'd also be interested in MVP Baseball. If Battlefield were ever released on the Wii U, I might check that out. In all honesty though, I've always thought of EA as a rather boring company.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: February 11, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
I agree with shinji, this account system problem was easily avoidable and can still be fixed.

The way i think it should work is that the hardware and the software should be attached to the master account.
Subsequent accounts should be attached to the family account and the games/software is only playable on hardware attached to that account.

Should you login on someone else's Wii U, then the accessed software should automatically become a timed demo if the current Wii U owner doesn't already have that game. Otherwise, you have access to all your personal save data that was auto saved in the Nintendo cloud attached to your account.

That's just off the top of my head, but that is already MUCH better than Nintendo's current solution.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: February 11, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
"would've known that he wouldn't have been able to, just like everyone on this forum knew "

Actuallly Nintendo has the ability to restore his account, they do it all the time with "stolen" systems and this one is similar case.  Most likely the "retailer" sent the unit back to nintendo so tracking it down shouldn't be a problem. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5537 on: February 11, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
The commons sense thing (and the thing that any normal person would have done) was call Nintendo first, it's the idiots own fault.

And azeke, Nintendo was being more than generous by giving him a free $50 credit. They didn't need to do that, and he is basically getting rewarded for being a moron.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: February 11, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »
Nevermind. Oops.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:35:33 PM by Oblivion »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
Nintendo ID stuff when system itself forces you create account and everything kinda implies that user we'll be fine when transferring to other system.

Years long experience on numerous another systems, on other consoles, handhelds, PC programs, online services and common freaking sense makes you think that way.

He is not a moron for thinking Nintendo ID actually means something beside log-in to MiiVerse. Or maybe he is a moron for thinking Nintendo did something right and logical this time.

At no point user is warned about this. He's never presented with text explaining him that games and content is actually linked to system and will be lost.

The solution they gave to him is also pretty bad as i said, not only he has to manually recreate his digital library one by one using less than ideal Wii Shop but he also lost his saves, right?

Out of two sides in here, between Jon and Nintendo, Jon is not the moron.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5540 on: February 11, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
He's a moron for not calling Nintendo. A normal person calls the manufacturer of a device when it breaks down. That is the first thing you do.

Jon is the moron, at least he is smarter than you though in that he is happy with the solution Nintendo did. They credited his account with the money AND they gave him a extra $50 free. Even with a universal account, his game saves would have been lost anyways.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: February 11, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
Even with a universal account, his game saves would have been lost anyways.
Cloud saves.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5542 on: February 11, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
Which has nothing to do with universal accounts, which you were bitching about in your last post. I do sympathize with him, but I am amazed you are more angry than he is. And you bitch that Nintendo should have game him more FREE credit for his mistake. They were not obligated to give him anything, but they were nice enough to give him $50 extra in free credit.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: February 11, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »

Please, would you kindly try to read posts in this thread. Thank you.

I never said they should give him more money. I said with their solution he will spend hours and hours of menial work restoring fractions of his digital library and that 50$ doesn't look like a good compensation for that.

Proper compensation would be be restoring the library in full, intact and with no additional work.

I am not angry, i'm just sad and shaking my head.

And in fact why shouldn't i explain how stupid this setup is? Because Jon is happy? Jon got coverage on some gamer themed TMZ rag and then his problem was resolved? Who even cares about Jon? I sure don't.

In fact i don't even care about Wii U games locked to system. It doesn't matter that universal accounts shouldn't be there. They should, absolutely. It's like washing your hands. Gaming 101. But now, i don't really care since my Wii U is fine and i don't ever plan to sell it or something.

I'm more concerned about lack of universal accounts on 3ds. I already lost one 3ds with $200+ worth of games (not counting ambassador), not really keen on repeating that experience.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: February 11, 2013, 04:07:49 PM »
Those are from two differenet people.  John paid $400 for WII/vc stuff while and nintendo accredited his account with $200 WII U E-shop cards while the other guy bought $570 worth of stuff, nintendo refunded his account in full + $50.

Two different outcomes, one guy got the short stack while the other guy made out pretty damn good since like he stated they refunded 100% of his investment + $50 additional dollars.

---------------------------------------------------

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5545 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
azeke, you said $50 is not enough. So you did say they should give him more money. And how do you propose they just give him all his games at once? They can't magically make all the games appear on his hard drive. They gave him the best solution possible, giving him credit for all his games so he can re-download them. The same thing would happen on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (having to re-download games). The only way for the games to magically appear on his system without needing to download them (like you want) would be to send the system to Nintendo and try to have them do it. But it would still be faster to download them manually.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
The same thing would happen on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (having to re-download games).
Don't know about PS3 but on Xbox 360 there is a feature to add games to account remotely and downloading will start in background by itself, as you said "magically".

Have you used Wii Shop, i can't really tell, based on your responses. You need about 15 clicks to download one single game, and during one sequence buttons are deliberately placed that way that if you will go click-click-click without looking, it will cancel your download, so you can't even do anything else while doing so.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5547 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
You still have to download those games, which is what I said. They don't just appear on your system without downloading them like you are saying should happen.

And I have used the Wii Shop many times before, it's not as bad as you are saying (and it's not easy to accidentally cancel your download).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: February 11, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
I would actually think that any normal person would first take the defective device back to where they got it in hopes for the immediate gratification of a new working system.

With the thought that you just made a Nintendo account, and transferred all your stuff to it, you might not be too worried that you wouldn't see your stuff again (because it was actually attached to the hardware and not the account you just created.)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5549 on: February 11, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
Yeah, every person I have ever seen or talked to would call the company up first. Like if I started to have a problem with my laptop, I would first call Dell, not take it back to Best Buy. You call the manufacturer, they might be able to help you solve the problem or tell you what you should do.

I don't have a Wii U yet (financial reasons), but I would be shocked if the manuals don't mention that games are tied to the system.