Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592770 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 5/11/13
« Reply #5400 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Pikmin is weird because some shots still look okay while others look amazing. Hopefully the delay is to add fucking online multiplayer.

Also anyone else find how we have all of these articles complaining about the ND annoucments but when Sony did so etching similar at games con they received nothing but praise.

[laughs] This is the world we live in. It's just extremely popular to hate on Nintendo, a major portion of the industry(fans and professionals) have this grudge against them. I dare anyone say otherwise. Nintendo burned bridges like crazy back in the day and when the tables turned and there were greener pastures elsewhere those developers never looked back.

Couple that with a large portion of gamers who felt like they needed games to "grow up" with them and the Playstation was the next logical step for everyone. These guys(us) grow up in the Sony dominated era, get jobs in the games industry and finally American developers have a major presence in the game industry and take their bias with them. People who make games are fanboys just like us.

So then for 10 years you have an super unpopular group gamers and game maker. The gaming world starts to change as mass opinion changes on what constitutes as "kiddy" or something for only 5 years old an under. Also Nintendos new president is humble, careful what he says(for the most part) and tries to mend old relationships. The darkest 10 years are over and Nintendo launches the Wii which gains immense success in sales and becomes prevalent in popular culture.  This in spite of every general gaming outlet absolutely convinced Nintendo was done for and going the Sega route. And oh boy they are pissed! Mainly because true gaming(with better graphics) wasn't at the top of the charts. Now more than ever these gaming outlets have made it their life's goal to fan the flames of Nintendo doom. Angry that their superior gaming a habits aren't represented in over all sales.

Tis true today as the day it was written.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: January 25, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
Q: is it possible to erase the Wii channel off my Wii U, so that i can pair it with the correct Wii instead?

and i mean without erasing everything off of my Wii U and starting from scratch.... again.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Pikmin is weird because some shots still look okay while others look amazing. Hopefully the delay is to add fucking online multiplayer.

Also anyone else find how we have all of these articles complaining about the ND annoucments but when Sony did so etching similar at games con they received nothing but praise.

[laughs] This is the world we live in. It's just extremely popular to hate on Nintendo, a major portion of the industry(fans and professionals) have this grudge against them. I dare anyone say otherwise. Nintendo burned bridges like crazy back in the day and when the tables turned and there were greener pastures elsewhere those developers never looked back.

Couple that with a large portion of gamers who felt like they needed games to "grow up" with them and the Playstation was the next logical step for everyone. These guys(us) grow up in the Sony dominated era, get jobs in the games industry and finally American developers have a major presence in the game industry and take their bias with them. People who make games are fanboys just like us.

So then for 10 years you have an super unpopular group gamers and game maker. The gaming world starts to change as mass opinion changes on what constitutes as "kiddy" or something for only 5 years old an under. Also Nintendos new president is humble, careful what he says(for the most part) and tries to mend old relationships. The darkest 10 years are over and Nintendo launches the Wii which gains immense success in sales and becomes prevalent in popular culture.  This in spite of every general gaming outlet absolutely convinced Nintendo was done for and going the Sega route. And oh boy they are pissed! Mainly because true gaming(with better graphics) wasn't at the top of the charts. Now more than ever these gaming outlets have made it their life's goal to fan the flames of Nintendo doom. Angry that their superior gaming a habits aren't represented in over all sales.

wow. That was an incredible read. THank you.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »

This is yet another similarity between Nintendo and Apple. A certain segment of people constantly predict doom for both companies, despite huge successes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: January 26, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »

This has been my beef with gamers/games journalists for years.  The irony is that the majority of the same people who hate on Nintendo (with little to no reason why) were introduced and fell in love with gaming by that same company.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: January 26, 2013, 03:25:52 AM »

This has been my beef with gamers/games journalists for years.  The irony is that the majority of the same people who hate on Nintendo (with little to no reason why) were introduced and fell in love with gaming by that same company.

I wanted to bring up that very idea in my last post but the baby was crying. Had to cut it short.

I can only imagine some people feel almost betrayed by Nintendo and I'm not talking motion controls. Just the simple fact that Nintendo themselves didn't make their own violent games on a regular basis. Jr High and High School are still fresh in my mind. I remember writting a speech on the concept of "kiddy" games and another on Pokemon in my AP english literature class. Man I felt like I was a gaming rights leader! One thing I noticed growing up but couldn't pin point until I was about 21 is that as young adults 12-20 we strive to be older and more mature, things that we very well may like we want to shun for no good reason at all. Then for some reason we hit 21 and look at that same exact material and go "wow, I can appreciate that now so I'm in love with it again!" But not everyone grows out of stupid insecurities.

For video games I would say this is between the ages of 8-30, hahaha. It's like sports and when you are that emotionally invested in a team for that long it doesn't matter what happens you are going to trash the other teams, no matter how much logic the other side provides it's just a malfunction of the human brain. Its clear as a bell on politics. Depending on how closed off you are in social groups or Internet forums it becomes ingrained so much that it just does not go away. Of course there are always exceptions and very rational people who may favor one thing but can clearly judge everything as a whole. I say Ian and BlackNMild are people like that, they can appreciate and critize something from everyone but you know deep down they are nintedo fans at heart with very rational thinking... Mostly ;) A lot of us here are, they just stick out to me.

So these people who've been away from Nintendo for so long, they just immersed themselves in the anti Nintendo mentality. They are surrounded by so much of it, its not enough to just play your own system, you know live and let live, but they gotta belittle and insult everything Nintendo. Some of these gaming journalists have a clear agenda and it shows. I'll never forget that Ubisoft guy coming into my home and going "how come you only have a Nintendo?" And it did insult me for a second and then I just thought "man, what closed little circles you must work in?"

Of course all this goes both ways and everything in between. It's just the Nintendo hate is absolutely fascinating and I'd like some scientific research done on it. I will say this though that many gamers, the consumers and creators, they are growing up that's for sure, because despite the major hate it used to be much worse and I think Nintendo is more socially accepted then they have been in the last decade. Then as they get older and realize bashing other products you generally never touch anyway is pointless more hate will ease as time goes on.

RomanceDawn

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: January 26, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
Ugh this full on retard has even effected Rev3 and I usually love their Opinion pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMir9KPZBRM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Their opinions borderline too

1) Wind Waker HD is a big deal because it plays on Nintendo Nostalgia. But why aren't they HDing up everything from Super Mario 64 and Super Metroid.

2) 2D Nintendo is great while the 3D is lacking. (Not sure they came to that conclusion seeing how everyone thinks the opposite.)

3) Max scoble complains why they didn't sit on the next gen Zelda announcement for a later date. Than complains that their wasn't a trailer for Wind Waker HD because some guy (its fucking Eiji Aonuma) was talking instead. (Really Really you fucking complain that the developer of the aeries is explaining stuff, like the movie industry the games industry would benefit from more focus on devs and individuals)

3)Max scoble can't seem to grasp that X is a fucking codename, I do agree with the Sessler that it wasn't a trailer. It was a teaser which is a different thing.

4)They complain about the Bayonetta 2 non trailer ignoring the fact that developer videos like this are pretty common before a game is revealed. 343i did something similar with Halo 4 showing off multiple videos about different parts of the development teams with bits of the game being shown while its being worked on. I loved that and it got me hyped for the E3 2012 reveal.

5)You have one person who admits that that's all hey can do if they don't have stuff ready but it will be.

6) Then they talk about Virtual Console and get some things wrong (BC Wii U HDs the games up.

7)They also complain about Ball on Trip being the first game instead of something like Super Metroid. They talk about having to pay for the games to get them to work on Wii U mode. I find that bullshit myself but since I never used VC on the Wii, I won't have a problem with the Wii U VC.

Its weird how cool rational people become unruly when Nintendo is involved.

Its we
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
LOL, don't think that's 100% right Caterkiller.  It's not the industry hates nintendo, more like hate some of their business decisions like which games to logicalize and what not.  In the last couple of years there were like 23 titles that were released by nintendo but not in the in the west?  For an system like the WII that's been starving for titles I find it inexcusable on nintendo part to overlook a vast majority of gamers.  I don't need voice overs/lip sync crap, subtitles would do just fine and I can't imagine it being a cost issue since you don't even need to release physcial copies anymore.

Hell some games like Xenoblade coming screaming to mind. 

Hense, that why I as a gamer am still fuming with Nintendo--I love their games just not thier business strategy.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:02 PM »
LOL, don't think that's 100% right Caterkiller.  It's not the industry hates nintendo, more like hate some of their business decisions like which games to logicalize and what not.  In the last couple of years there were like 23 titles that were released by nintendo but not in the in the west?  For an system like the WII that's been starving for titles I find it inexcusable on nintendo part to overlook a vast majority of gamers.  I don't need voice overs/lip sync crap, subtitles would do just fine and I can't imagine it being a cost issue since you don't even need to release physcial copies anymore.

Hense, that why I as a gamer am still fuming with Nintendo--I love their games just not thier business strategy.

Your absolutely right I should have fit that in there with the violent video game parts. Nintendo's decisions are major fuel to the fire. But the games we missed for Wii, there was no real way to get them downloadable right? Not excusing the issue, but wouldn't full on downloadable titles been just about impossible for Wii?

And we did end up getting Xenoblade and soon the Last Story right? "Yeah but we had to twist Nintendo's arm." I say so what, we got it. We didn't get the first sin and punishment on the 64 but I'm glad years and years later we were able to get it now on the VC. It's hard for me personally to sit back and get mad at Nintendo for almost leaving out those RPGs from the West all together when we ultimately got them. And all the clamoring for them did us well cause now they know Monolith is in demand over here and had no problem showing us there new game in the latest ND.

We'll certainly never know but I wonder, what if the Wii U only used the Pro controller, had universal voice chat, and specs that were deemed closer to the future competition? Those are some big issues I see being asked for from gamers. I wonder if they more or less got what they asked for, a Nintendo X-Box, would others come around? Would the press be screaming "they finally got it right!" or would they be hounding Nintendo again for doing nothing new?

Remember a year or 2 ago, that article about overall video game sales being down for the entire industry, but Nintendo was ultimately to blame because Wii's sales had dropped off from the astronomically high numbers? I mean come on what the heck?

RomanceDawn

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: January 26, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »

Agreed. But I have come to realization that Nintendo will never be the console I won't so I instead enjoy it for what it is.

Ip
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
That was a nice series of posts Caterkiller, and I agree with just about all of it.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: January 28, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »
From my observation, its just cool to hate on or be outright dismissive of Nintendo. This has only been exacerbated further in the age of gaming blogs/websites, podcasts, and forums amongst enthusiasts. Its fine if you dislike Nintendo products or are indifferent to them, it's another thing entirely when people act like spurned lovers or something. It is very, very weird.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline mysticgohan

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: January 28, 2013, 01:39:21 AM »
Hey guys got a tweet from Dalton of Vigil Games about Platinum games offer:

25 Jan Haydn Dalton Haydn Dalton ‏@haydndalton

@TroyBakerVA Troy thanks for the public rally for Darksiders, it has been amazing. Just wants to say you did a great job on both.
        Expand
        3h Jason Box Jason Box ‏@BigBoss2279

@haydndalton Hey Dalton, have you consider anything Platinum games have said? With Darksiders and Vigil?
        Expand
        1h Haydn Dalton Haydn Dalton ‏@haydndalton

@BigBoss2279 I'm greatly honored by what @platinumgames have said, but they're just that, comments. I don't think anything will come of them.

I hope he's wrong and that Platinum were serious about their offer.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: January 28, 2013, 03:30:21 AM »
I support any and all acquisitions by Platinum, since they seem to have a pretty close relationship with Nintendo these days, which would likely mean the Wii U would see the products of them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: January 28, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
I support any and all acquisitions by Platinum, since they seem to have a pretty close relationship with Nintendo these days, which would likely mean the Wii U would see the products of them.
Outside of the new MGS game of course.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5415 on: January 28, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
Isn't that game coming to Wii U?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5416 on: January 28, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
Isn't that game coming to Wii U?

Nope, neither of the Metal Gear games in development are coming to Wii U (as of now)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: January 28, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Isn't the some spinoff of MGS coming to Wii U thought. I remember watching a trailer of some dude with an energy blade slicing people in half.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5418 on: January 28, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
That's Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and right now it is only confirmed for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: January 30, 2013, 02:40:51 PM »
Ok so one thing about recent Nintendo direct announcement...

While it didn't eliminate the possibility, it seemed to indicate that Retro is not working on a new Zelda. It seems as though Nintendo is having its Zelda team port wind waker to familiarize itself with the hardware so that when it comes time to release a new Zelda game that it will hit a home run. or both.

I really hope they reveal what Retro is working on at e3. I hope its a game changer type game that will put the industry on its head.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: January 30, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
If you've transfered all your Wii games and saves to the Wii U but miss the ability to use a GameCube controller with them, here's an adapter that lets you use one as a Classic Controller.

http://www.mayflash.com/?Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W007.html

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5421 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »
If you've transfered all your Wii games and saves to the Wii U but miss the ability to use a GameCube controller with them, here's an adapter that lets you use one as a Classic Controller.

http://www.mayflash.com/?Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W007.html
Aaaaaand Smash Bros. 4 has just been saved. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: January 30, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
Outside of the new MGS game of course.

For sure the new one based around Raiden is not coming, let's hope that the new one being developed by Kojima himself MGS: Ground Zeroes come to Wii U, fingers crossed.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:11 PM »
Unless Smash Bros 4 will have mandatory stylus controls ;p
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5424 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
Unless Smash Bros 4 will have mandatory stylus controls ;p
Oh, no. Don't do it, Sakurai! DON'T DO IT!! ¬_¬

I will say, though. I quite fancy the Wii U Pro Controller. Feels good. Light, but good. I could see putting in some serious Smash hours with the thing.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!