Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592784 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 5/11/13
« Reply #5300 on: January 14, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
I don't think it's that unlikely they'll show a Wii U Zelda trailer. If Nintendo wants to compete with the big console unveilings their competition will be bringing they need every gun they've got, including a concept trailer for the Zelda coming at the end of 2015.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: January 14, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
I don't think it's that unlikely they'll show a Wii U Zelda trailer. If Nintendo wants to compete with the big console unveilings their competition will be bringing they need every gun they've got, including a concept trailer for the Zelda coming at the end of 2015.
Actually, I seen it going:
Since everyone one wanted it here is your new Majora Mask Remake and Wind Waker HD.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5302 on: January 14, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
Nintendo will need to come with guns blazing at E3, especially if this new analyst in right in saying that the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 3 will both be released this year (he predicted October for PS3, November for XB3).

And no Majora's Mask remake please, the original game was bad enough. Wind Waker HD, on the other hand, would be great.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: January 14, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: January 14, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »
Really, I think EAD Tokyo Mario game, Retro game (Metroid Prime 4?), Monolith game, Zelda trailer, a couple other first party games and some significant third party exclusives would stand up pretty well against new consoles. I'm not actually expecting Nintendo to pull that off, but it'd do the job.

Either way, I expect the 3DS to be pretty much ignored in the press conference this year, but hopefully with more of a presence on the show floor this time. That war's already over, Nintendo needs to focus their attention on the one they can actually lose.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
I'm actually hoping for an HD version of Xenoblade.  I still need to play it and offscreen play would be very nice for that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: January 14, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »
I'd welcome both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker as I've been meaning to replay both and I'm more likely to squander money on remakes than play them on their original platforms. I know that's backwards. I have a problem.

Anyway, I agree with insano. E3 2013 should be Wii U focused. It needs the attention more. Don't ignore 3DS entirely, but Nintendo should come out guns blazing. They need to score some major 3rd party titles. Revealing Bayonetta 2 and having her show up in the Smash Bros. 4 trailer would be nice. She's not a major character, but she can be an important one for Nintendo. A Smash Bros. appearance would show that Nintendo has a great deal of faith in Bayonetta 2 and a more varied audience. Whatever it takes to show how serious Nintendo is to more than their own fans.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
I'm actually hoping for an HD version of Xenoblade.  I still need to play it and offscreen play would be very nice for that.

That had better not be what Monolith is doing. Clearly, their time is much better spent working on Disaster: Day of Crisis 2.

EDIT: Oh, I completely forgot about Smash Bros. Add that to the list I gave above and Nintendo would be in great shape.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »
According to this article it's sounding like Sony may not wait for E3 to unveil their next console. I can see why they might want to do that, to get out ahead of Microsoft's announcement, but how do you think this affects Nintendo?

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »
According to this article it's sounding like Sony may not wait for E3 to unveil their next console. I can see why they might want to do that, to get out ahead of Microsoft's announcement, but how do you think this affects Nintendo?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe any console has ever been first unveiled at E3. The juicy details are first released there, but the name and some other stuff usually come out before that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: January 14, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
I don't think we heard anything official about the Wii U or 3DS before E3. There are often leaks/rumors, but the official announcement, at least in recent generations, hs been at E3.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5312 on: January 14, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
I thought we weren't getting any new Smash Bros info for a while? Didn't Sakurai go in to hiding or something?

But I'd like to see an HD Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Maybe making them both eShop exclusives.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: January 14, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf

Okay fine, they announced that they were going to announce them at their respective E3s. Still, if you read the article I linked, it's sounding like Sony plans on doing considerably more than that.

Aaron knows way too much about Nintendo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: January 15, 2013, 05:09:01 AM »
I thought we weren't getting any new Smash Bros info for a while? Didn't Sakurai go in to hiding or something?

That was at the end of 2012 where he said we should be patient and he wouldn't answer any questions sent to his Twitter about the game.  Considering E3 isn't until June, that is still quite a long time for people to wait, so Sakurai's comments don't rule out an E3 showing.

Smash Bros is one of the games that's guaranteed to be shown at E3 this year.  Considering Iwata announced it in E3 2011, before Sakurai had even started development, then announced Namco was working on it in the Nintendo Direct shortly after E3 2012, that pretty much points to a trailer at E3 2013.  He's also allowed Sakurai to give hints about what the 3DS and Wii U versions will be like and the Namco team allowed to say certain things as well.  In comparison you don't see EAD 3 or Tokyo EAD being allowed to say anything about the upcoming 3D Mario and Zelda at all.

When it comes to Smash Bros, this is the one series Nintendo isn't afraid to hype up well in advance.  The only reason we haven't seen anything so far is because it didn't start real development until Summer 2012.  When E3 2013 comes around they will have had around a year of development so they'll easily be able to have a trailer ready for it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: January 15, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »
I wasn't sure where to put this.

Remember the Wii Mini? It doesn't support component cables either. What is the point of that thing? It's not even that much smaller than the original model Wii.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: January 15, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
Well it is rumored that Microsoft is going to show the next Xbox off at GDC and showed it off behind close doors at ces. Hell Microsoft has an event the same week as GDC where they show off new stuff, its after gears of war releases so it would be a good time.

How far along would a Wii U Zelda would be. I mean skyward sword took around six years to come out. An HD Zelda would take even longer if they're going to use a new engine alongside the graphics jump.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
Depends on what they want to do with it. The Skyward Sword team had some trouble with Motion Plus controls where they abandoned it then picked it up again. Also, I recall reading that Miyamoto scrapped the original art style for the Impressionist inspired style. If they stick with the graphical style they begin development with and don't go crazy with GamePad controls, development should go a lot smoother. Skyward Sword was in planning/development at the same time Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were being developed so depending on what the team is doing on 3DS will affect how Zelda Wii U is coming along. If Grezzo is working on an original title or a Majora's Mask remake (both?) for 3DS under the Eiji Aonuma's guidance, that would free the Zelda team up to focus on Zelda Wii U.

Zelda Wii U could hypothetically be released Q4 2013 if the stars align (who knows when that game entered planning stages?), though it's not terribly likely. If Nintendo fast tracks the game, it could be very far along at this point. My guess is a 2014 release.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: January 15, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
Nintendo needs games now.  Especially in the WiiU eShop.  They should see about being able to release games to both the 3DS and the Wii U at the same time on the eShop since input wise they are comparable.

I can't think of anything coming out soon besides Rayman worth note.  Not sure if Pikmin and Wonderful 101 have received hard dates yet.  (Also for the record a Pre-order bonus of a set of plush people you could combine into a sword for Wonderful 101 was announced I pre-order it.)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: January 15, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »
Hirokazu Yasuhara: I looked him up and he's been a member on some really good projects. Sonic, Jak, Drakes Uncharted. Even Sonic Xtreme which looked like basically what Mario Galaxy turned out to be. I remember wanting that game for my Saturn but it never came out.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: January 15, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
Hirokazu Yasuhara: I looked him up and he's been a member on some really good projects. Sonic, Jak, Drakes Uncharted. Even Sonic Xtreme which looked like basically what Mario Galaxy turned out to be. I remember wanting that game for my Saturn but it never came out.

Yep, he's the reason everyone should be excited for NST's next game.  Nintendo wouldn't hire someone this important unless they have big plans for the guy.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:27 AM »
This is somewhat off topic but related to the WiiU's success.  Given their are rumors of PS4 and the next Xbox releasing within a month from each other, am I wrong to think this could help Nintendo and their WiiU?  I can only imagine having both those systems launch so close to each other plus what I would assume to be each having somewhat high price tags, that their sales will be split.  People looking forward to the "true next gen" will have to pick one or the other as apposed to all sales basically going to just one if they were launching alone.  I think this could hurt Sony and MS for the first 4-6 months or so as there is only so much money to go around.  Developers will be killed in that I think some games will fail to make significant sales being that there will be so many options for consumers between the two releases.

If the WiiU can put together a solid lineup for that holiday season, provide a 50 dollar price drop or add a pack in or two (special edition bundles) they can eat into the already fragmented launches of the other two.  I don't know, I'm just spit balling here, what say you?  Do you think both systems launching will hurt one another and how can or will Nintendo and the WiiU benefit from it?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:27:09 AM by Mannypon »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »
Not really since the big rumor is that the next gen systems will be would on contract similar to a cell phone. So while you could out right buy bit for $400 you also have the option of paying $99-$150 and then paying $14.99 every month for two years.

Also developers won't be killed because besides one or two exclusive third party games the launch of each should look pretty similar.

Microsoft and Sony will also be pushing on how thier next systems works with their overall ecosystem and how its awesome for living room control something Nintendo can't effectively do.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »
contacts? the ****? first I'm hearing about this...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:20:22 AM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: January 19, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
If Sony and Microsoft start offering online cell-phone like contracts for their consoles...whats to stop Nintendo from doing this as well? Also, if console business structure got like that(which sounds awesome for consumers) whats to stop Nintendo from releasing updated versions of consoles sooner and allowing people to trade their old one in?

and further more offer some sort of 3ds wii u connectivity bundle?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:06:05 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post