Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592735 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #5225 on: December 27, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
It's a pattern of behavior. Even at his peak, the iron fisted Yamauchi cared little about controlling the customer themselves instead to control supply rather than access to games. Region locking the 3DS felt like a desperate attempt to shield Nintendo from the tanking US dollar and a grab for control. The awful implementation of "Nintendo Video" which should have been a consumer Pull service rather than a Push service, with a clear evolutionary path towards a one-stop portable video store instead of pounding everything into the e-shop.

Then there is the increasing fragility of the hardware itself showing a lack of quality testing with oversights like the grease lines.

While Yamauchi was a suit, he knew where Nintendo's strengths were and let his teams do the work while he handled the paper pushing. Iwata just doesn't have the same level of business accumen as Yamauchi. Iwata is making business decisions like a fresh MBA with an old playbook jumping at his own shadow every time an investor looked his way.

Maybe I am reading too much into it. Maybe Iwata has stared into one too many Bananas, who knows. Nintendo just doesn't feel quite, Nintendo lately.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: December 27, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
I concede that it will become an issue:
-Once Game Pads go on sale separately
-2 Game Pads are supported in games
-Nintendo doesn't fix the issue with a firmware update

Until those conditions are met, this affects no one unless you own a WiiU from multiple regions and one of your Game Pads break in which case you want to use the other for the rest of the systems (very specific)

If this is another one of Nintendo's asinine decisions to just region lock a controller, then it's dumb because it just seems silly and an unnecessary hassle to consumers. But until that proves to be so, it just annoys me no end that some people (across the Internet) act so upset as if this changes how they play their system now. Put that passion towards issues that actually matter now like what's up with EA and Activision's anemic support of the WiiU? Why haven't we heard anything concerning the WiiU's virtual console, etc.

Point of my post: I have a pet peeve of people making mountains out of mole hills, especially when all the facts aren't even known yet.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5227 on: December 27, 2012, 10:54:42 AM »
Even when those 3 conditions are met, the amount of people who would be affected would be miniscule at most (likely a few dozen people). How many people will import a GamePad? People are over-reacting and just trying to find something to complain about, those complaining are not gonna run into this issue and probably don't know anyone who will either.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
It's going to be an issue for no one except for the people who vacation and break their controllers in another country. It means nothing for potential multiplayer because honestly I don't believe we will ever have 2 gamepad games. I know what Nintendo said and I was excited to hear the news but I can't shake the feeling it will turn into Gamecube's online. Announced just to pacify the crazies for a little while but ultimately nothing comes from it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
Madden 2014 with my cousin from out of country (dual game pad multi-player) will now be impossible without a firmware fix or expensive 2nd uMote purchase.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »
I'm trying to push a game pad battery life joke in here somewhere, but I can't quite make it fit.

something something, battery won't last traveling between countries, something.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: December 27, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
I'm trying to push a game pad battery life joke in here somewhere, but I can't quite make it fit.

something something, battery won't last traveling between countries, something.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: December 27, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
I actually think the region locking has something to do with the TVii service.  I think they are afraid of the cable companies getting mad at them if someone from Europe finds a way to stream cable from the US or something like that. At least, I think they are paranoid of something like that happening so they do this as a precaution.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5233 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
But the GamePad streams from the console itself, so someone from Europe would need a North American Wii U. Speaking of which, has any site tried this? Can someone in Europe access the North American TVii content?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: December 27, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
But the TVii service doesn't stream cable... from any provider, on any continent.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: December 27, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
TVii just lets you control your DVR and stuff like that, or tell you if a show is on Hulu or Netflix, etc. There is no actual TV streaming.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
There is content in the form of trailers on TVii.

Re: Wii U - The Road to E3 - 5/11/13
« Reply #5237 on: December 31, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »
I wonder what we're going to see at E3 2013! :) So far I was pleased with every E3 Nintendo has brought to us since I've started seeing them in 2007. Nintendo has always managed to make the the game supply just right with the Wii and 3DS. So I won't see any change with the Wii U, although I do fear for some overload of games as it is the case right now, haha!

"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone." - Satoru Iwata

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »
E3 2013:  Dual Gamepad support, Retro studios game, enhanced battery (I hope), Zelda teaser, Zombi U: Paris Teaser. Watchdogs hopefully.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: December 31, 2012, 12:42:45 PM »
I'm hoping they announce that all third party multiplatform games coming by then end of 2013 will all be ported to the Wii U.  Or at least a majority of them.

I also want to see an enhanced battery, though I'm more expecting that in 2014 when they can get the price down.

As for dual gamepad support, if they announce it, they won't announce price and the second one will most likely be bundled with either Madden 14 or a 1st party game made specifically for it for around $100 (though none of the pricing will be announced until a Nintendo Direct in September.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: December 31, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
E3 2013:  Dual Gamepad support, Retro studios game, enhanced battery (I hope), Zelda teaser, Zombi U: Paris Teaser. Watchdogs hopefully.

Watchdogs is going to be at sony or microsoft probably microsoft though.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: December 31, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
E3 2013 better be about games games games games games games.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

« Reply #5242 on: January 02, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
Hopefully we will hear and get the Wii U Virtual Console this year!
"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone." - Satoru Iwata

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: January 02, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »

Furthermore, I hope we get a better integration of the existing virtual console and Wiiware.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: January 02, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »

Furthermore, I hope we get a better integration of the existing virtual console and Wiiware.
This please!  They really need to fix this. 

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: January 02, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
Microsoft
After 3 lackluster E3's in a row, I hope Microsoft tones down the "Kinect Kinect Kinect!" hype. I expect them to make a HUGE showing for the Xbox 720/Durango, with the usual Xbox Live Arcade/Gears/Fable/Forza/Halo announcements. Also, more non-gaming apps and media services. Yay.

Sony
Sony will abandon the PS Move's "WonderBook" series and will go back to pumping out more Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and God of War games. Then they'll try to prove that the Vita isn't dead yet by signing more exclusive deals with 3rd-party publishers that don't give a **** about Sony's handheld investments. And PS4/Orbis will be shown in some form.

Nintendo
Nintendo will FINALLY announce the Wii U's Virtual Console service, and every existing VC game that is already on the original Wii will be downloadable on day one. The Wii's "Vitality Sensor" will be brushed aside like it was never announced, and Nintendo will instead integrate that tech into a redesigned Wii Remote. Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U, 3D Mario Wii U, 3D Zelda Wii U, Zelda 3DS, Pokemon 3DS, and a new Metroid Prime game will all be shown. Nintendo Network will be expanded to 3DS, and the eShop will become available for use on web browsers and mobile devices.

Apple / Google
Just kidding. They don't care about gaming enough to show up at E3.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: January 02, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »
It's sad that none of you mentioned something really important:

more original 3rd party games! Zombi U: Paris sounds like an easy sequel, and it's new enough that a sequel still counts as a new original title, but I mean NEW-new games. Watchdogs would sort of count, but only if it truly is a "next gen" (ie current gen, wii u/ps4/720) title. If it comes out for PS360 then it's just a port in my eyes, because development most likely started for PS360. I want to see what 3rd party's could bring to the table after some decent dev time, because I know whatever Nintendo brings will knock my socks off.

Oh, and while Zombi U: Paris is nice, I want a zombie game set in NYC for some reason..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5247 on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
I want to see something that would see a ban on first/third person shooters and games with zombies, just to see the meltdowns from both the publishers and the Internet hivemind.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: January 03, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »

Microsoft
After 3 lackluster E3's in a row, I hope Microsoft tones down the "Kinect Kinect Kinect!" hype. I expect them to make a HUGE showing for the Xbox 720/Durango, with the usual Xbox Live Arcade/Gears/Fable/Forza/Halo announcements. Also, more non-gaming apps and media services. Yay.

Sony
Sony will abandon the PS Move's "WonderBook" series and will go back to pumping out more Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and God of War games. Then they'll try to prove that the Vita isn't dead yet by signing more exclusive deals with 3rd-party publishers that don't give a **** about Sony's handheld investments. And PS4/Orbis will be shown in some form.

Nintendo
Nintendo will FINALLY announce the Wii U's Virtual Console service, and every existing VC game that is already on the original Wii will be downloadable on day one. The Wii's "Vitality Sensor" will be brushed aside like it was never announced, and Nintendo will instead integrate that tech into a redesigned Wii Remote. Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U, 3D Mario Wii U, 3D Zelda Wii U, Zelda 3DS, Pokemon 3DS, and a new Metroid Prime game will all be shown. Nintendo Network will be expanded to 3DS, and the eShop will become available for use on web browsers and mobile devices.

Apple / Google
Just kidding. They don't care about gaming enough to show up at E3.

Microsoft
Its going to be all about the Durango but don't expect the usual players there. Halo 4 took four years to come out and it was built from the reach engine, Frankie confirmed that the next Halo game is being built from the ground up so don't expect halo 5 for at least three years. The closet thing to expect is Spartan Ops season 2.

So far what to expect from Microsoft is.

Durango unveiling And Kinect 2.0
Spartan ops season 2
New IP from Tequilaworks made from unreal 4
New IP from epic based on the 3.9 demo and a fortnite port.
Alan Wake 3 from Redemdy (worst kept secret)
Forza 5 or PGR4
Twp new rare games
Ryse from cry tech
Game by Ruffian games
New IP by black tusk studios
Tease of the Microsoft studios Vancouver game
Tease of what every project the naughty dog and irrational guys are working on.
Fable IV as well as a new IP from lion head
Next connected TV game by Soho productions
Going to see a bunch of non gaming features and home automation stuff
Third party next gen stuff
Twisted pixel next game
Kinect sports 3 by BigPark
Live takes a massive dump over PSN and NN feature wise

Also how do you define lackluster. Like change Shane shatterfield said last year while he found the Microsoft press conference to be the worst of them all and didn't focus on games or new IP it didn't mattered. All of the non gaming journalist from (CNN, abcnws, the verge' etc) were blown away and were far more receptive too the stuff like smartglass, and usher. That was evident in the posts around E3 were Microsoft while getting panned by the games media had a lot of good buzz from mainstream media which gets way more traffic. Yet these same mainstream sites had little to say about Sony and though the Wii u was still an add-on.

Sony
Not really sure what they will do with the vita tanking and internal PS3 development still going on.

Nintendo
Just hurry up and show smash bros so hyped by this stupid game and Sakurai van go make another non smash game.

Beyond that

Bravely default
Dragon quest X
Retro,s new game
Monolith Wii U RPG
3DS Zelda
3D Mario
GBA VC
Wii U VC

Disney announced they are buying Nintendo

Google/apple
At Google I/o were going to see a minor step at them showcasing gaming features in key lime pie. Ingress goes out of beta.

Apple won't do anything.

Both continue to push Nintendo and sony handhelds into the basket we see symbian phones and blackberries.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5249 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
There hasn't been an Alan Wake 2 yet (Nightmare is not a sequel, per the developer themselves), so how can there be an Alan Wake 3?

And Smart Glass has been **** on by most people, and rightfully so.