Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592741 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #5200 on: December 16, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »
Fair point. I got three hard locks tonight with FIFA.

Where did you get them? Almost all my hard locks with FIFA come at the start screen, just as it's about to check my internet connection.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: December 16, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
The ones I get seem to usually be at the screen just after a game, before you get back to the menu, which is awful because it's happening in career mode, canceling out wins because it locks before it can save.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:46 AM »
That's too bad. I haven't had anymore hard locks of the system since the last major firmware update. Maybe it's the demo?
I've personally never had a single lock, hard, soft or liquid.

I've had my system for a week though, and updated it on a second patch right away though.

Last night went to my friend's place and took my Wii U and some games (and some booze). Had a blast playing Mario U, Wii Party and a few minutes of Rayman Legends (Castle Rock is amazing).

Friends wife played on a gamepad creating blocks by touching on screen for us three. It both helps and hinders, in hilarious ways.

I'll try to organise another night when my Tekken game will arrive.

We've tried to play some Trine with one guy one gamepad and me and other friend with wiimote+nunchucks.

It's kinda a hassle, controls are way too floaty, and graphics while gorgeous doesn't make it easy to see where your character is.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
Nintendo TVii tomorrow!!!

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/19/3783728/nintendo-tvii-hits-thursday-but-will-be-missing-some-functionality

Thursday's software update will not come with the ability to program or access content stored on a DVR, according to Nintendo. The app, already delayed from the launch, also won't include NetFlix or TiVo support. Those are both coming next year.

And it's on the Wii U Facebook page.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:40:05 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: December 19, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
Okay, so i finally got to experience one of those mythical hard lockup myself.

I was web browsing and reading miiverse, but the sound of NSMB U disc spinning was annoying so i pressed eject and put it in the box. Then i browsed some more, and when i pressed Home some minutes later, it locked up :/

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »
Yeah, apparently you can only eject a disc from the home screen, known issue.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: December 20, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
I got one while watching youtube my internet disconnected tried to get to the wara wara plaza and it locked up

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: December 23, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
I took my Wii U to my brother's so we could play New Super Mario Bros. U co-op and it scratched pretty easily. Nothing else was in the compartment of the bag with it so the bag itself scratched it... I'm going to blame the glossy finish because I need to blame something. F you, glossy finish.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: December 23, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
and I am going to blame the glossy finish for the sweat the gamepad acumulates f you glossy finish :)
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: December 23, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »
do you think putting the disc in would resolve the issue? iv had PCs do a similar thing until you put the disc in or take it out.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: December 24, 2012, 07:11:13 AM »
I reread my previous post and I should clarify. The console itself got scratched by the bag, not my New Super Mario Bros. U disc which was in its disc case in a separate part of the bag. I got carried away with pronouns. My bad.

I bought a padded transport bag for the Wii years back, but the Wii U is too long and it wouldn't fit so I used that to carry the GamePad. I would buy a Wii U bag. There's a Wii U GamePad hard case, but I haven't seen one (or a padded bag) for the console itself. The glossy finish scratches pretty easily (or is, at least, far more noticeable). I find it a bit ironic that this is from the same company that once put a handle on a console. It's almost like Nintendo is discouraging people from moving the Wii U. /matte4ever
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:16:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: December 26, 2012, 07:03:06 AM »
Wii U GamePad Is Region Locked

That's... kind of odd.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »
That earns a WTF from me.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: December 26, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »
Trying to think of an explanation but I can't. Weird choice.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: December 26, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
It's a non issue. Nintendo has been doing this since the SNES days and its no doubt due to FCC regulations differing across countries and regions. I swear, people love to find anything to nitpick over the WiiU. It's come down to if a company doesn't disclose every little decision behind all the minutiae that goes into their product, no matter if the reason is federal regulations, the Internet will complain.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: December 26, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
On the bright side, I got black ops 2 for Wii U, so hit me up sometime :D
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Gamejunkie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: December 26, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
It's a non issue. Nintendo has been doing this since the SNES days and its no doubt due to FCC regulations differing across countries and regions. I swear, people love to find anything to nitpick over the WiiU. It's come down to if a company doesn't disclose every little decision behind all the minutiae that goes into their product, no matter if the reason is federal regulations, the Internet will complain.

Absolute rubbish. It is an issue. What's it got to do with past consoles the SNES included. If this is indeed true its the first time a controller has been region locked. What's it got to do with FCC regulations. There have been portable consoles that have been region free like the Gameboy, DS, DS Lite, Neo Geo Pocket, PSP and PS Vita. What makes the Gamepad any different. It shouldn't be region locked and if Nintendo has done that then that's just ridiculous.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5217 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »
It's not an issue at all. It's not gonna have any impact whatsoever, especially since the controller will be in every region.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
The only way this could ever have any impact is once games start letting you use two GamePads and for some reason the two you have are from different regions. In 99.99% of cases this is completely irrelevant.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: December 26, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
@gamejunkie: ....why?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
I don't think this affects most people (mainly importers and after the generation is over, collectors). It's still an odd choice and an interesting conversation piece which is why I posted the link. I wanted to discuss why a controller would need to be region locked even though most of us here would never know the difference. I've yet to own anything from a different region myself. I kind of want a GameBoy Light and that Hori N64 Mini controller if only just to have. Alas, I don't have the expendable cash for any extraneous collector-esque game purchases at the moment.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: December 27, 2012, 02:14:10 AM »
It seems the issue with the region locked GamePads lies with the firmware on it from different regions. You can connect and sync to a foreign system, but not download anything with that controller. No one has confirmed if a clean controller from a different region can be used as a master controller or if the synced foreign controller can be used to play games despite being locked out from downloading anything http://www.cubed3.com/news/17781/1/wii-u-gamepad-controllers-are-region-locked.html

It's still dumb to be as upset over this as some people claim to be. Even to the person who this ACTUALLY effects, it's impossible to buy a second GamePad separate from a new system and there aren't any games that even support it.

A non issue.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: December 27, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
If Nintendo was a person, I would say they are displaying some serious paranoia and control issues. It's like installing a lock on a window that doesn't open. Someone had to come up with the idea, then have a bunch of people work on and implement it. Sure, 99.99% it's going to be a non-issue, but fact they went to such lengths is very non-game like of them. It's like some pencil pusher came to a meeting with a bunch of graphs and jargon spurting the importance of market differentiation and control over you know, making good game and products people like to buy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: December 27, 2012, 02:46:52 AM »
I really think you're overestimating the kind of thought that went into this. I think it's way more likely Nintendo got a little lazy with the software design, which likely happened prior to the decision to support multiple GamePads, at which point there was virtually no reason it would ever be important.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »
A non issue.
It is an issue.

Just not a lot of people are touched by it.

But you know, when you're being silent about when they start coming after minorities...

PS. I don't care really, it's probably a technical issue rather than artificial obstruction, but it is stupid nonetheless.