Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592793 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #4975 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:37 PM »
tendoboy, when someone has a problem they will bitch about it on the Internet. When everything is running fine and dandy, you will rarely have them shout that everything is fine. So you always have the minority sounding bigger than they actually are.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: November 19, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
You're bitching and you don't even have one?

It's the cynic in me.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: November 19, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
now trying black ops 2, its currently updating, its taking a bit long compared to nsmbu.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: November 19, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »
Personal Pros & Cons so far after having it for almost 2 days now:

Pros:
  • The tablet controller is absolutely great.  I think it feels great, isn't heavy enough to make it uncomfortable, and it has become my default web browser when on the couch.
  • Related to the above, Black Ops II looked great on the gamepad while my wife and I watched netflix on our main TV.  I was able to get horribly thrashed in multiplayer while we watched Freaks & Geeks.
  • The games I've played so far (Nintendoland, Mario U, Black Ops II) all look great. 
  • While it was tedious, the Wii to Wii U transfer process was pretty straightforward and painless.
  • I don't know if Miiverse is necessarily a game changer, but I do at least enjoy the message board-like feature.
Cons:
  • Yes, like everyone mentioned, you can expect at least 45 - 60 mins for the initial firmware update.
  • Navigating from the different menus and applications seem to have a 5-15 second loading time.*
  • This is probably a subjective opinion, but I don't think the eShop layout is particularly great.  Actually, figuring out most settings in the Wii U seems to be without much logic, and certain things like the friends list took me much longer than I anticipated to configure.
  • I understand why TVii needs to be delayed, but we can't even have the youtube/hulu/amazon prime apps available individually?  Furthermore, it was a bit confusing to see them on the gamepad menu screen, but only have a "coming soon" message when you select them.
It's no question by now that there have been some confusing information given to even those of us who now have the actual console on hand, and that's the source of most of my misgivings of the system so far.  that being said, I see my complaints either being resolved by future firmware updates or by me having more experience using the console. 

To those like tendoboy1984 who are citing the reported problems with what they're hearing about the system so far as why they're taking a wait-and-see approach, I would say it was probably a good idea for you to wait. 

I'm not sure if the Wii U will catch fire the same way its predecessor did, but if tolerating a bit of slow load times while Nintendo figures out its business is the worst I experience with this, I think Wii U could become one of my favorite system's I've ever owned.

*During today's time with the Gamepad, I didn't see as long of a delay.  Either it has been improved or I'm not noticing it as much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: November 19, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
tendoboy, when someone has a problem they will bitch about it on the Internet. When everything is running fine and dandy, you will rarely have them shout that everything is fine. So you always have the minority sounding bigger than they actually are.

Yes.  general rule of customer service is that you're going to hardly hear from your customer when you have good experiences.  The most vocal group of people will always be the ones that are having issues.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4980 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
So...is the Wii U a flop after two days? Checking online most Target and Walmart stores nearby seem to have them in stock (both versions)...I'd go get one but I have like $180 in GameStop store credit, so that's going to be my place of purchase.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: November 19, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »
I'm not too sure yet.  I can't really go on by what I read online because all I read is negativity.  There really doesn't seem to be a frenzy for the system when I've been in stores.  I've yet to see anyone playing with the demo systems which, for the life of me, I can't understand.  It could also be that no one is playing it when I'm there though lol.  Hopefully everything goes well for Nintendo this holiday season because I'm loving my WiiU and think its an amazing product.  I haven't had this much fun with a new system since probably when I first played the Nintendo 64.  I've never been an online gamer but I'm completely hooked on Miiverse and all the social aspects the WiiU provides.  I also can't stand the general hate towards Nintendo in the gaming community so I surely don't want bad news giving them more fuel to light their fires. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
So...is the Wii U a flop after two days? Checking online most Target and Walmart stores nearby seem to have them in stock (both versions)...I'd go get one but I have like $180 in GameStop store credit, so that's going to be my place of purchase.

Can't speak for Target, but Walmart's online tracker shows the inventory for the systems we're still holding for pre-orders.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: November 19, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »
Well I guess some people wouldn't have picked them up yet...I have seen several people on Gamefaqs say that they have sen them on shelves today though, or have called to confirm that they are in stock for anyone to purchase.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: November 19, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »
Apparently my Wii U has had several freezes and even required a hard reboot or 2 today.

My girl stayed home today and played with it a bit. This is quite disappointing if you ask me.
Plug and Play experience was what I was hoping for, that is not what we have going on here.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4985 on: November 19, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »
Well I guess some people wouldn't have picked them up yet...I have seen several people on Gamefaqs say that they have sen them on shelves today though, or have called to confirm that they are in stock for anyone to purchase.

I was in a Best Buy today and didn't see any. Might check another one tomorrow though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: November 20, 2012, 12:02:04 AM »
just tried some black ops online, and i got to say it ran better than i expected, steady frame rate with no lag issues.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »
Nice to hear.  I'm starting to wonder if all the bad feedback I've been reading about WiiU ports are being overblown.  All over the larger forums, everyone is complaining about various issues with the WiiU third party ports but on these much smaller forums, I hear mostly good things such as your feedback and NWR's impression of the Batman game. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:54 AM »
Eh I wouldn't judge how well the wii U will do until after black Friday. A lot of people are waiting to pick it up with the rest of their shopping.

Also I really suprised how many people are defending the lack of account trans
fer and somewhat slugishness of the os. (Only one of those things are truly excusable)
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
Yeah there are still many ways Nintendo can improve the OS but, I can only speak for myself, I think I'm just too distracted by how entertaining everything is.  I came into the WiiU looking to play the games and fiddle around with the TVii function but I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the other aspects of the OS.  Its got me just turning it on every now and then just to see whats going on in Miiverse within the communities.  I want to go on and see what my Friends have been saying.  Other times I just turn it on to brouse around the internet or watch some Netflix in bed. 

Now this is all in relation to me though and I see how some of these things wont matter to others.  If you are the type that's owned a tablet for some while now then I'm sure being able to brouse the internet and watch netflix around your house isn't anything new for you.  Also, if Miiverse doesn't tickle your fancy then your really left with nothing else but the games and the slughis OS. 

I think I'm just being optimistic and keeping my train of thought on how much I enjoy the system now and how much better I know it'll eventually become.  I can't wait till the next updates, especially the one with TVii. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: November 20, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »
While a framerate hit in CODBLOPS 2 is disappointing, the development time was surely nowhere near as long as it was for PS3/360 and it's Treyarch's first game for the console, so it's forgivable...next time, not so much.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: November 20, 2012, 01:12:37 AM »
Nice to hear.  I'm starting to wonder if all the bad feedback I've been reading about WiiU ports are being overblown.  All over the larger forums, everyone is complaining about various issues with the WiiU third party ports but on these much smaller forums, I hear mostly good things such as your feedback and NWR's impression of the Batman game.

i also played the first three missions and framerate was fine, went back and played some more online and everything ran well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: November 20, 2012, 02:06:57 AM »
the video for this was kinda annoying, but they did confirm 2gb of ram by taking it apart. Annoying reviewers though

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Nintendo-Wii-U-Teardown-Photos-and-Video
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: November 20, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »
Yeah, I saw that live the other night.  Its really opened the floodgates online for more "WiiU is weaker than PS360" talk on the more mainstream forums.  The ugly side of the gaming community is always the loudest lol.  I've preached enough about the WiiU.  Everyone should just try it, you'd be surprised. 

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: November 20, 2012, 02:46:40 AM »
Again I have had zero issues so far. Well my U didn't read black ops for a moment so I hat to reinsert it. Besides that My online sessions have been 100% lag free in both Black Ops and Tekken. I sware every match I am playing someone right next to me.

Just like Mannypon I constantly get on Miiverse just to see what everyone is saying. I absolutely love this feature!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4995 on: November 20, 2012, 03:35:01 AM »
Again I have had zero issues so far. Well my U didn't read black ops for a moment so I hat to reinsert it. Besides that My online sessions have been 100% lag free in both Black Ops and Tekken. I sware every match I am playing someone right next to me.
Could you please check if Wii Classic Controller is supported? I really don't want to buy Wii U Pro Controller just for this.

It should say so on the back of a case.

Really stoked to play some Tekken with my friends.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: November 20, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »
the video for this was kinda annoying, but they did confirm 2gb of ram by taking it apart. Annoying reviewers though

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Nintendo-Wii-U-Teardown-Photos-and-Video
Nintendo's Teardown was better.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: November 20, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »
How are people taking screenshots that they use for their miiverse posts?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: November 20, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
How are people taking screenshots that they use for their miiverse posts?
I think the game itself will just do that sometimes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
Huh? That's just too odd.