Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592797 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #4950 on: November 19, 2012, 12:22:27 AM »
Home > Friend List

Stupid, I know.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
Hm.  I see the one request I've sent so far in there - but no others...?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: November 19, 2012, 01:00:27 AM »
One update the Remote TV feature needs so far is Page Up/Page Down buttons for the Cable Box Guide. But that's the beauty of the new OS, Nintendo can update these things as time passes.

I am very curious as to what TVii is going to be all about. It might actually get me to use the cable box more often instead of the alternative method I've already grown accustomed to.

I'm also upset because I did my Wii transfer for my wiiShop account, and none of the games I own have transfered over.
No SuperMario RPG, Secret of Mana, MegaMan or the other 4-5 games that aren't immediately coming to mind are anywhere to be found (none of them were physically downloaded at the time).
I did link to my MyNintendo account, which should be all the proof I need that I own the titles, but I think I'm gonna have to contact Nintendo about this at some point.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: November 19, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »
One update the Remote TV feature needs so far is Page Up/Page Down buttons for the Cable Box Guide. But that's the beauty of the new OS, Nintendo can update these things as time passes.

Forget this.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control/dp/B00093IIRA

Nintendo just needs to team up with Logitech (who makes officially licensed Nintendo accessories anyway) and create the software for the remote feature.  This thing should be able to control *my* entire entertainment center.  Instead, it turns the TV on and off. Whoo.

No SuperMario RPG, Secret of Mana, MegaMan or the other 4-5 games that aren't immediately coming to mind are anywhere to be found (none of them were physically downloaded at the time).
I did link to my MyNintendo account, which should be all the proof I need that I own the titles, but I think I'm gonna have to contact Nintendo about this at some point.

Are they on your "Titles I've Downloaded" list in the Wii Shop?  Anything that you don't have installed directly on the Wii (i.e.: on an SD card or not installed at all) won't go with the transfer and have to be redownloaded.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: November 19, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »
there is no record that it was purchased with the transferred account.

I never re-downloaded after Nintendo transferred the account from the old white Wii to the new Black Wii and now it doesn't show up on the Wii U.

It's also too late to check the black Wii as everything was deleted... I think.
Now I have to go check the old White Wii and see if that stuff is still on there, and if I can system transfer from there as well.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4955 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:18 AM »
Well, I'm just glad it knew how to talk to this old Zenith TV I have it temporarily hooked up to (Zenith went out of business in 1999).
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: November 19, 2012, 04:58:03 AM »
I haven't found a way to shut off Wii Remotes when they're not in use. They just power down after a while, but it seems like a waste of battery in the meantime.
My suggestion: just remove one of the batteries. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:00:11 AM by Louieturkey »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Use the controller options when you press the home button, just like with the Wii.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: November 19, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
Have you tried that? I didn't see a power off option when I checked and I was thinking I was missing something.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: November 19, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
Yes, I actually tried it. It will come up with a prompt warning you that you're about to shut off the screen.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: November 19, 2012, 02:00:26 PM »
Any one playing Black Ops 2? When I'm online sometimes I'm voice chatting and sometimes I'm not. It's enabled in options and on a player by player bases. I don't know what the heck the problem is.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: November 19, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
updating my wii u as i post, download time for the update was around 35 mins, system update has gone by fairly quickly
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: November 19, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
updating my wii u as i post, download time for the update was around 35 mins, system update has gone by fairly quickly

You certainly missed the the onslaught of day 1 users.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: November 19, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
Yes, I actually tried it. It will come up with a prompt warning you that you're about to shut off the screen.
Wait, screen? I was asking about shutting off Wii Remotes, not the GamePad. Or are you saying that that also shuts off the Wii Remotes? If so, that's a bizarre way of handling that, Nintendo.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:47:43 PM by Adrock »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4964 on: November 19, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
Good news. Everyone can access the admin parts of miiverse.

http://kotaku.com/5961665/this-guy-reckons-hes-accessed-miiverses-debug-mode-by-accident

Nintendo is now saying that was just a mock-up menu, so nobody had to worry about their personal info being compromised since it wasn't a real menu. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-19-nintendo-allays-wii-u-hacking-fears?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4965 on: November 19, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
Any one playing Black Ops 2? When I'm online sometimes I'm voice chatting and sometimes I'm not. It's enabled in options and on a player by player bases. I don't know what the heck the problem is.

Are you using a headset to voice chat or the GamePad mic? Are you saying the chat dies midway through a match or that it works in some matches and not in others?
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: November 19, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
So with all the hardware issues people are experiencing, do you think Nintendo should have postponed the launch until things were properly tested? It's like we in the US are beta testers for the rest of the world.

With all the freezing, slow loading, glitches, slow downloads, etc. the Wii U is basically the next Xbox 360.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4967 on: November 19, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
Not anywhere close, the problems seem to be really rare (and the slow downloads have been because of so many people downloading the updates at the same time, the same problem happens when Apple releases a iOS update).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: November 19, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
Not anywhere close, the problems seem to be really rare (and the slow downloads have been because of so many people downloading the updates at the same time, the same problem happens when Apple releases a iOS update).

What about all the other OS glitches, slow loading of apps and games, random freezing requiring a hard reset (unplug the system), etc.? I experienced those things with the original Wii. It seems Nintendo can't even get their own OS right.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: November 19, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
I haven't had any OS problems. I've had issues with Netflix that one seems to able to fix, however.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4970 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Again, it seems these are pretty rare and that you are in the minority. Every electronic device will have a small percentage of users who experience problems. I never had those problems with my Wii.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: November 19, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
I've been reading about all this stuff on GoNintendo and various other websites. I'm surprised NWR hasn't done much reporting on it.

Anyways, thank goodness we have patches and OS updates.

EDIT: I guess since this is the internet, people will blow things out of proportion just to get attention. I DID experience many cases of freezing on my original Wii. That's probably why we got so many minuscule system updates back then.

I haven't gotten a Wii U yet (bills and rent come first), but all the reports of freezing and slow loading are making me want to wait until all the kinks are ironed out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:43:18 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: November 19, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
You're bitching and you don't even have one?

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: November 19, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
There are so are so many games to play, I don't think we'll see anything solid for a few days.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4974 on: November 19, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »
So with all the hardware issues people are experiencing, do you think Nintendo should have postponed the launch until things were properly tested? It's like we in the US are beta testers for the rest of the world.

With all the freezing, slow loading, glitches, slow downloads, etc. the Wii U is basically the next Xbox 360.

Unless you have to get 6 Wii Us (edit: it said Xbox 360s before) to replace your Wii U because it and the replacements kept dying, then no, it is not "basically the next Xbox 360." Just giving some polite perspective here.

As for me, I'm going to use any money I was going to use on a Wii U to get some games for platforms I already own. What a mess.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)