Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592782 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4775 on: November 07, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
It would be hilarious if Link's guide was your Mii and Nintendo made you hate yourself.

Please let this come true..
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »
or put your face in a Tingle costume and be introduced as Tingle's cousin.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
everything Ian said is basically why I have not enjoyed a console Mario game since Mario 64. It takes me out of the illusion of the fantasy world that came before.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »
So launching out of a star cannon to a planetoid where if you longed jumped you could eternally free fall like an astronaut in a space ship was too real?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: November 07, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
So launching out of a star cannon to a planetoid where if you longed jumped you could eternally free fall like an astronaut in a space ship was too real?

Thank you.

I mean I kinda get where you guys are coming from but I can't honestly believe you feel that negatively against it.. what if your Mii was transformed in a more Mario style, like it looks like you except you end up having Mario's nose and a colored hat with your initial on it.. would that be a fair compromise?? I honestly don't get it..

Plus I don't recall seeing a Mii in the gameplay of Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 (gameplay; profile select doesn't count) so I don't see what there is to ruin because the NSMBS isn't meant to be on the same level story-wise as the Galaxy games, so what if a Mii shows up in that? Same goes for Mario Kart. Those never have a story that's supposed to immerse you into the gameplay so why's it matter? Outside of the sports titles, Donkey Kong hasn't appeared in a mainstream Mario game in ages, shouldn't that take you out of the Mario universe too?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: November 07, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »
Kotaku confirmed that the copy of Nintendo Land included in the Deluxe Set comes in an actual DVD/Wii U case, NOT a sleeve like Wii Sports did. Thanks, Nintendo!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
I freaking love Miis.

Having an representation of yourself in a game is great idea. And seeing Miis or your friends and relatives popping up randomly in background during the game always evokes that feeling: "hey look! hey, it's Bob, hey!".

More Mii integration i say.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: November 07, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
I freaking love Miis.

Having an representation of yourself in a game is great idea. And seeing Miis or your friends and relatives popping up randomly in background during the game always evokes that feeling: "hey look! hey, it's Bob, hey!".

More Mii integration i say.

This.

I love Mii's too. It's so much fun to create your own characters just by modifying the facial features. I used to go on the "Check Mii Out" Channel often to see what wackiness other people came up with.

Too bad Xbox Avatars aren't as customizable that way. You can add clothes and accessories, but the facial features are all preset.

I really hope Nintendo makes a new "Check Mii Out" app for the 3DS and Wii U. If we have to keep using the Wii version, it will become pretty tedious.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
NintenDaanNC has uploaded a bunch of trailers for Nintendo Land

I am really disappointed about F Zero game using gyro.

Pikmin game looks just stunning and gameplay is also very interesting.

But overall -- no, still skipping this game...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: November 08, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
I am really disappointed about F Zero game using gyro.
that's the first footage of f zero i've seen.  Wow, stunningly terrible impression.  I can't believe how slow it runs.  I guess if you're forcing motion controls, you need to slow it down to the point where it doesn't even resemble an f zero game, which begs the question of why you wouldn't scrap motion controls and make a good game instead.  I don't know why they didn't just call it Mario Kart since it seems to be a mk clone rather than anything resembling F zero.  Items?  flat track?  plodding pace?  sounds nothing like an f zero game I have played nor would want to play.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4785 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
That F-Zero looks like complete garbage.  That is embarassingly slow and if you're to take speed out of F-Zero, why not just take jumping out of Mario?

which begs the question of why you wouldn't scrap motion controls and make a good game instead.

Scrap motion controls because the resulting game sucks?  What in the last six years would make you think Nintendo would EVER do that?

That F-Zero video actually does a really good job of demonstrating why I hate the Miis mixing in the rest of the Nintendo universe.  Nintendo is treating F-Zero like just some brand they can slap on anything and the Miis help them do it.  If Nintendo doesn't treat an IP with some dignity, then the logical progression is **** games with a popular brand name slapped on it.  If you're ever played outright junk like DK Barrel Blast you know that Nintendo is not above doing this.  It's not even in Nintendo's best interest because it will just weaken the brand.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: November 08, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
F-Zero indeed looks awful, but everything else looked brilliant; even Takamura's Ninja Castle.

My favorite game from just watching the videos has to be Mario Chase or Luigi's Mansion. I was laughing my ass off just imagining how intense those game could get.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
It isn't an Fzero game?  It's an mini game found in Nintendoland which is primary an way to showcase the features of the WII U?

---------------

Side note, ME3 for the WII U is confirmed to have the comicbooks for both ME 1 and 2. 

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: November 08, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
That F-Zero looks like complete garbage.  That is embarassingly slow and if you're to take speed out of F-Zero, why not just take jumping out of Mario?

Come on you're not seriously comparing jumping to speed?

I wonder why you're even on this forum. Your posts date back to 2003. Have you really been bashing Nintendo on here for a full 9 years?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: November 08, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
"The Mass Effect comic books are an acceptable substitute for and are of equal value to the Trilogy Edition on the other platforms. Thanks, EA," said no one ever.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: November 08, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
It isn't an Fzero game?  It's an mini game found in Nintendoland which is primary an way to showcase the features of the WII U?
pretty much my point exactly.  looks like a crap way to get people interested in what an actual f zero game could be, or any good game, actually.  why make something that looks terrible and resembles nothing of the 'game' it's showcasing?

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: November 08, 2012, 02:40:20 PM »
People will whine and bitch about anything.
You know what the F-Zero game looks like to me? Fun.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: November 08, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »
I think it looks needlessly difficult.

I'm not for gyro-driving, but why vertically? Horizontally makes much more sense give the size of the GP.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: November 08, 2012, 03:14:35 PM »

Come on you're not seriously comparing jumping to speed?

I'm comparing the chief trademark of one series against another.  If you're not going fast, what the **** does it have to do with F-Zero?  Some said that that pace fits Mario Kart better so why not go with a Mario Kart attraction or how about something like Excitetruck?  The graphics and the fact that is involves a vehicle are the only elements that even resemble F-Zero.

The fact that Miyamoto said a few days ago that they weren't really planning on making a new F-Zero in the near future makes this worse.  F-Zero fans have been waiting an entire generation for something new and the only bone we get is some superslow flat-course mini-game that barely resembles the F-Zero experience?  That stinks.

Offline MrPhishfood

• View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: November 08, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
Its a tech demo compilation, what were you expecting? You think you could seriously speed round the race track with motion controls? It was hard enough on Mario Kart Wii and Mario 3D Kart

Are you just incensed that Nintendo got your hopes up only to figuratively pinch the testicles of your childhood memories and laugh in your face? Nintendo owes you nothing and especially so to someone who's been criticizing them for a good 9 years.

For someone has no interest in owning a Wii U you sure complain a lot.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: November 08, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »
Who at Nintendo birthed F-Zero anyways? Was it Miyamoto or someone else? Does the game have any champions internally at Nintendo?

I'm getting the sense that certain Nintendo franchises just really don't have a lot of people driving them forward internally at Nintendo, no matter how much I want them to happen as a fan. That's probably why Miyamoto sounded to me genuinely surprised and curious as to why people were fans of the series recently.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: November 08, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Oh man...an Excite Truck attraction with realistic MII ragdoll physics....

I can see myself playing that drunk.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
Alright well I get that Galaxy was unrealistic but that was not the point, for me the Mario universe was well established as a certain kind of mythological place. To be honest I never cared for any of the Spin offs, Mario Kart, party, the sports games, to me you go from having King Koopa as a serious threat to the mushroom kingdom, an evil monarch with abitions of power who uses black magic to get his way, to basically a big cry baby bully with a crush on the princess, no thanks that is where they lost me.

Mario is set in the Mushroom Kingdom, the protagonist is the King of the Koopas so ANY game that relies less on Koopas and more on paint balls and generic funky pokemon rejects is just not Mario to me. Also for me the game is about running and jumping, exploration, and collecting coins and power ups, some of the latter games especially the console games just stray too far from that. With Sunshine I felt that yes the game play was great and IF it had been some random character with an original story I might have liked it but that game never felt like a Mario game to me. I never played Galaxies the videos alone turned me off.

To be fair, who cares what I think, if you enjoy the games play them, I just wanted to say what I didn't like about them, which is kind of why I am so excited for New Super Mario Bros. U, because I loved the first one on the DS and if I had known a sequel was coming for the Wii I might not have sold it when I did.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: November 08, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
Its a tech demo compilation, what were you expecting? You think you could seriously speed round the race track with motion controls? It was hard enough on Mario Kart Wii and Mario 3D Kart

So you can't do F-Zero at the proper speed with motion controls.  So why motion controls?  Or why F-Zero?  It doesn't have to be a combination of motion control and F-Zero.  They use a different racing IP that Nintendo owns and they can keep the same basic gameplay.  Give it conventional controls and you can crank the speed up.  This insistence on shoehorning things together, results be damned, is what I hated about the Wii.  If motion control doesn't work then DON'T USE IT.

As for what Nintendo owes me, well I was a loyal Nintendo customer since childhood up until a few years ago.  But I guess over a decade of patronage means ****, right?  I put up with a lot of their questionable decisions, bought their product depite the allure of the competition's, and as a fan was basically free marketing for them, defending them on videogame forums and encouraging friends and acquaintances to buy Nintendo products.  The casuals bought their fad but the longtime Nintendo fans are the whole reason they could even make the Wii in the first place.  If you felt they were cutting YOU out after all the years of being their customer you wouldn't be thrilled either.  But the Wii was one generation so I might as well see how this one goes.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
...to me you go from having King Koopa as a serious threat to the mushroom kingdom, an evil monarch with abitions of power who uses black magic to get his way, to basically a big cry baby bully with a crush on the princess, no thanks that is where they lost me.