Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592742 times)

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4750 on: November 05, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
Why do companies package the DVD with some Blu-Ray movies?
For the car. Anyone who has kids knows this.
Also, surprised you didn't start a new thread for this topic.  ;)

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: November 05, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »
Why do companies package the DVD with some Blu-Ray movies?
For the car. Anyone who has kids knows this.
Also, surprised you didn't start a new thread for this topic.  ;)

He didn't start it in here, so he didn't think to create a new one. :)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: November 05, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »
I didn't read the article, but on IGN there's some thing about Miyamoto thinking about WiiU/3DS connectivity...am I the only one that doesn't give two shits about this and thinks it's a waste or resources?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4753 on: November 05, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
Connectivity can be good if done well, and there were occasions it has enhanced a game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: November 05, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
I didn't read the article, but on IGN there's some thing about Miyamoto thinking about WiiU/3DS connectivity...am I the only one that doesn't give two shits about this and thinks it's a waste or resources?
That's pretty much the vibe from the article. Miyamoto didn't dismiss it entirely, but he was mostly noncommittal. When talking about connectivity, Miyamoto basically said the Wii U was about giving people everything they need (instead of requiring another system like GBA) and 3 screens may be too complicated. He also said data transfers are easy to do like connecting the Mii channel. I'd imagine this will be the extent for most game that connect Wii U and 3DS rather than using 3DS as a controller for Wii U games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:50 AM »
Remember at E3 2011 when Nintendo was playing up the idea of using a 3DS as a controller for the Wii U?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
I remember Miyamoto saying something along the lines of "why not just use a 3DS" when asked if more than 1 GamePad can be used per Wii U console. Maybe he changed his tune once they got 2 GamePads working or that explanation was the best PR line he could come up with on the fly. Either way, it didn't make sense back for the same reasons he gave in that most recent interview. In any case, I'm glad this seems like the path Nintendo is sticking with. Even though I have a 3DS, anything beyond data transfers seems way more complicated than it has to be.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: November 06, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
Connectivity can be good if done well, and there were occasions it has enhanced a game.
The DS and Wii connected "Roadie Battle" game in Guitar Hero 5 was truly excellent. We got two guitars and 2 DSs going for a good 4 player battle. Super fun.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: November 06, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »
I bet the 3DS doesn't have anywhere near the hardware needed to have a seamless uMote style experience, considering how long it takes to download a tiny NES game.

I'll wait for the 3DS U XL

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: November 06, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure the gamepad is capable of 3D if you have the glasses for it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: November 06, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »
Not official but on the back of Rabbits Land case cover it lists (DD) for supported sound?  Not sure if it's an misprint or what but that's one question someone should ask nintendo *cough*NWR*cough*.

DD would help me since I really don't plan on buying another reciever for PCM 5.1 and my headphones only have DD 5.1 support anyhow.

There's going be an youtube video of WII U's unboxing tommorrow and a couple of games.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:04:51 PM by ymeegod »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »
I'm curious about the uPlay and what the integration is going to be.  It seems like Ubisoft Steam and I be curious if this means Cross-Platform games or buy once and get all the version like Portal 2 for PS3 has a Steam Connection to let you continue and have on the PC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
According to GoNintendo, Nintendo will be releasing a day-one [Nov. 18] software update that will add Miiverse functionality, Wii U Chat, eShop access, and the Nintendo TVii service.

And here I was thinking Miiverse was built into the OS. That begs the question: For those without internet access, what will they see when they boot up the Wii U?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: November 07, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
That's what I was wondering as well.

I'm glad these things are rightfully decoupled from the os update wise.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
Does that mean you will be able to opt out of those features if you choose?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4765 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »

Maybe, but it also means you won't be able to go online with your system since system updates are usually required. Besides, why would you not want them?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: November 07, 2012, 03:05:19 PM »

I would imagine so, although if Nintendo REALLY wants you to have those features it might just bundle them in disc updates down the line.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: November 07, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
Haven't watched the Nintendo direct yet, but i'm not sure how I feel about the overall look of the os.
It looks like an evolution of the wii/3ds which I loved but here there is something that I can't put my finger on.
It might be smething with the UX looking too kiddish (for lack of a better term) for my tastes.
I have the same problem with the Vita OS.
It probably works well but it looks worse design wise compared to others. I might just have the problem of style over function.
Its really only this part I have a problem with

Other parts like these are fine

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: November 07, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

Maybe, but it also means you won't be able to go online with your system since system updates are usually required. Besides, why would you not want them?

Some features I would be okay with but not the Miiverse thing, I might be in the minority but I hated those damn Mii's.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: November 07, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
I'm curious about the uPlay and what the integration is going to be.  It seems like Ubisoft Steam and I be curious if this means Cross-Platform games or buy once and get all the version like Portal 2 for PS3 has a Steam Connection to let you continue and have on the PC.
My guess is it'll be similar to Uplay games on PS3 where you get Uplay points for certain achievements and get to spend those on DL content exclusive to Uplay. An example is extra throwing knives in Assassin's Creed 3 or new wallpapers or something like that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: November 07, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
I don't hate the Miis, but I'm not especially attached to them. I only ever made myself. My Mii looks like me so I suppose it served its purpose. Avatars just don't really matter to me. I'm pretty sure I've never even opened Playstation Home, let alone create an avatar in it. Still, I like Miiverse even if I don't plan to be terribly active on it.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: November 07, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
I hated Miis until I was able to give myself a pirates hat, now they are the world to me. I better get to use a pirate hat for the Miiverse some time down the line.

Though now that messaging and such is going to be so easy and fun I think I will actually enjoy the presence of Miis more.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: November 07, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've never even opened Playstation Home, let alone create an avatar in it.
HA! Playstation Home was fun in its own way. I would create the ugliest looking guy ever then took him to the disco to dance in front of girls. When I got bored he would get down on his knees to propose marriage or point at their crotch. Me and a friend had a good laugh with that.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: November 07, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
My friends and I initially enjoyed making Miis of ourselves.  The person making the Mii was not allowed to design themselves, thus resulting in more "honest" depictions.  If the game asks you to play as yourself, might as well use the Miis.  Though I didn't like them appearing in games beyond the Wii Series.  Like they show up Mario Kart?  Okay, so that ruins the whole fantasy of the Mario world.  Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom are just some product if myself and my friends are going to suddenly insert themselves in.  Now Nintendo has them farting around in NSMB U.  How is such a thing explained in terms of story?  Well I guess it doesn't and instead of this being this rather simplistic tale of a plumber rescuing the Princess from a dragon-like monster I'm just doing some obstacle course in a videogame.  If you're going to put the Miis in there why am I even playing as Mario?  Clearly this is "just a game" now.

I don't think Nintendo has even thought this through much.  It's probably just "well the Miis are popular so let's just throw them in."  I figure they'll show up in a Zelda trailer at a future E3, cause tons of backlash, and Nintendo will be completely blindsided by it.  I don't think that realize that to their fans, their franchises mean more than just some mindless entertainment for a rainy weekend.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: November 07, 2012, 07:15:19 PM »
It would be hilarious if Link's guide was your Mii and Nintendo made you hate yourself.
black fairy tales are better at sports