Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592819 times)

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4675 on: October 27, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
Nintendo's been updating the trademark (ownership of the title) but I believe SK owns the IP for the characters/locations/ect.  So all SK would have to do was rename the game.

"tellectual Property Rights

Nintendo owns intellectual property rights in its products. These include copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Copyrights

A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.

Trademarks

Trademarks are the distinctive names, words, logos, designs and symbols used to distinguish a product of a particular manufacturer or source. Some of Nintendo's most widely recognized trademarks include Nintendo®, Game Boy®, Super NES® and Super Mario Bros.®. The Nintendo® trademark has been filed in many countries throughout the world and registrations have been issued in Nintendo's name in many countries. "

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Miiverse Nintendo Direct before Wii U launches
« Reply #4676 on: October 27, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

No GTA V for Wii U, at least not yet...
http://www.ps3site.pl/znamy-orientacyjna-date-premiery-gta-v-plotka/131577

Investors Q&A, nothing fully translated yet but here is what they have.

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://gamingeverything.com/31847/iwata-on-wii-u-pricing-other-tidbits-from-investors-qa/[/font]

- “If we can’t provide overwhelming fun not possible with free or 85-yen games, Nintendo and consoles have no value.”
- Iwata wants to explain Miiverse service in detail through a Nintendo Direct before Wii U launches
- Can become friends with others through Miiverse
- It’s a critical mission for Nintendo to increase the number of friends to play with
- Iwata contrasted this with the prior requirement of Friend Code exchanges to prevent a few bad apples from ruining a safe gameplay experience
- Iwata thinks third-party share of software sales on Wii U to increase earlier than on DS or for foreign publishers on Wii

The transcript of Nintendo’s latest investor’s briefing Q&A has been published online. Although it’s only available in Japanese at the moment, a few tidbits have been translated.
First, one of the major points to come out of the Q&A concerns the Wii U price point. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that the 3DS’ quick price cut affected pricing of the upcoming console, as the company did not want consumers to worry about a similar situation. The Wii U price was determined based on customer expectations as well as to keep people from holding out for a big, sudden price drop.
Iwata also spoke briefly about the popularity of Nintendo Direct. Between 600,000 and one million viewers have tuned in to the past few broadcasts. The Japanese Animal Crossing: New Leaf presentation has been viewed over 1.1 million times on YouTube.
It also looks like Iwata addressed the topic of new IPs. He told investors that criticizing a lack of innovation over IP-heavy lineups means you’re looking only at the titles and not their contents. Iwata noted that franchises such as Mario and Pokemon would decay if they lacked innovation.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:59:39 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: October 27, 2012, 10:00:45 PM »
So I got to try the Wii U at Best Buy. The controller is more bulky than I first thought, but its still comfortable. Sadly, the only game available to play was Rayman Legends, which was pretty fun. I talked to a Best Buy sales associate, who said the demo units can be updated over the Internet, meaning Nintendo can easily upload new demos anytime they want.

I also played a demo of PlayStation All-Stars, and just as I suspected, it's an exact clone of Smash Bros. The fighting is fun, but even more frantic and chaotic than Brawl (close to Melee standards, actually).

And I finally got to tinker with Windows 8. It's basically like Windows Phone optimized for tablets and computers.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: October 27, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
- Can become friends with others through Miiverse
- It’s a critical mission for Nintendo to increase the number of friends to play with
- Iwata contrasted this with the prior requirement of Friend Code exchanges to prevent a few bad apples from ruining a safe gameplay experience

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: October 27, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
If I want to run a Wii U on an older non-HDTV, can I just use a Wii component cable?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: October 27, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »
If I want to run a Wii U on an older non-HDTV, can I just use a Wii component cable?

Yes.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: October 27, 2012, 11:33:21 PM »

Yes.

Awesome, thanks. I've been trying figure this out for six months, and it was the deciding factor if I should get a Wii U or an HDTV first.

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
« Reply #4684 on: October 28, 2012, 01:14:14 AM »

I believe this has been confirmed yes, with pictures of the back of the units shown.
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline Pantburster

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: October 28, 2012, 02:26:24 AM »
 :Q

An HD Wii with significantly more umph than the Ps3/Xb360 would of been far better than the turd ipadalike nightmare they have come up with!

It seems to me the big N have always gone their own way with tech and not worried about the competition but ticking the ipad and 3d boxes recently has been detremental.

Wii2 bundled with wii sports 2 would of been far better. They should of built on the success of Wii instead of starting again whilst panicing about what the competition are doing.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: October 28, 2012, 02:30:28 AM »
are you a Chozo Ghost alt account, Mr. Pantburster?

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: October 28, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
I still don't see the similarities between an Ipad and the Gamepad besides both sporting a touchscreen. One is a multimedia device and the other is a controller.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: October 28, 2012, 10:27:43 AM »
:Q

An HD Wii with significantly more umph than the Ps3/Xb360 would of been far better than the turd ipadalike nightmare they have come up with!

It seems to me the big N have always gone their own way with tech and not worried about the competition but ticking the ipad and 3d boxes recently has been detremental.

Wii2 bundled with wii sports 2 would of been far better. They should of built on the success of Wii instead of starting again whilst panicing about what the competition are doing.

I don't know how you could call anything about the 3DS detrimental with how insanely well it's selling in Japan. And rehashing the Wii is exactly what they shouldn't have done. Nintendo got lucky last time around, and that audience probably wouldn't be there again, especially if all they did was a new Wii Sports.

I still don't see the similarities between an Ipad and the Gamepad besides both sporting a touchscreen. One is a multimedia device and the other is a controller.

You can compare the GamePad to an iPad, but a much better comparison is the DS. The Wii U basically is the DS concept as a console.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: October 28, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
Just popping in to ask some quick questions, as this thread is far too long for me to even try to sort through everything in it. My questions are, when is the system supposed to launch and how much will it cost? Have the complete specs been announced yet? Does the system play Blu Ray discs? I heard it uses some type of high capacity Blu Ray-like disc? What are the launch titles confirmed for the system and what titles are confirmed for near launch? If I don't pre-order now will I be able to expect to get one by January or is this going to be Wii all over again? I was lucky I got my Wii on launch day but I had to out smart everyone else by going to K-mart when at that time nobody was shopping at K-Mart anymore.

Sorry if my questions are old, I spent the last hour reading through dozens of posts and I must have missed the info I was looking for. Also I am not new to the site, been here before a while back just checking back in because it's new console time and this time I am actually kind of excited for the new system, Wii was a disappointment for me but I am mostly excited for that New Super Mario Bros game it looks really fun.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #4690 on: October 28, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
You realize that half, if not all, of those questions could have been answered through a simple Google search, correct?

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: October 28, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »
Yes, but then why even have a discussion forum at all? I hate that response, it akin to go away.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: October 28, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
Almost all of your questions can be answered by looking up the Wii U on Wikipedia HERE.

Things we are still in the dark about are the exact specs of the CPU and GPU. We still don't know how significant the out-of-order CPU will be in comparison to in-order CPU's of other consoles. The disc drive is still a bit of a mystery, we know it can play proprietary 25GB discs but we don't know if the drive itself is actually blu-ray.

With the Wii that had a DVD drive but could not play DVD movies because Nintendo didn't want to pay licensing fees to the DVD consortium so they could keep the price low I wonder if it will be the same with the Wii U. If indeed the Wii U has a bluray drive I wonder if we could purchase bluray playback on the eShop.

Nintendo's online social network thing is still a mystery too, we've only heard little bits of information about it but nothing that gives us the whole picture.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:13:56 PM by MrPhishfood »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4693 on: October 28, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
Gonna guess that you are in the US toddra.

November 18th and there will be two SKUs. A basic form which will have a White gamepad,AC adapter,HDMI cable, a sensor bar with 8GB of Internal storage for $299.99.

The Deluxe Model is a Black unit with Nintendo Land and 32 GB of Internal storage. It also has a program to get 10% back when you purchase digital games that you can put towards more digital games. It also has everything in the Basic bundle. That will cost $349.99.

The Wii U will use its own disks that holds 25 GB of data on the disks.

Here is all the games for launch day.
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
 Skylanders Giants
 Transformers Prime
 Wipeout 3
 Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
 FIFA Soccer 13
 Tekken Tag Tournament 2
 New Super Mario Bros. U
 Ninja Gaiden: Razor’s Edge
 Nintendo Land
 Sing Party
 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
 Warrios Orochi 3 Hyper
 Darksiders II
 Assassin’s Creed III
 ESPN Sports Connection
 Just Dance 4
 Rabbids Land
 Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
 ZombiU
 Scribblenauts Unlimited
 Game Party Champions
 Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Here is a link to the rest of the Launch window games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/13/the-full-wii-u-launch-window-release-list

As for getting a Wii U. I don't think it is going to be sold out for 3 years in a row like it was with the Wii but already it is selling well as far as preorders go and people are already looking to ebay and such to sell their systems for those that may not have a chance to get them early just like the Wii before it. So I would get your preorders in.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies I do appreciate that very much. I just can't stand being told, go to google all the time, because obviously information changes and I prefer to get it from people in the know rather than wikipedia which I never use anyways. I guess I forgot how little we knew about the Wii at this point in the game, seems like Nintendo likes the guessing game. I am still on the fence if I will buy one to be honest, I got a Wii on launch day but it turned out to be such a disappointment for me I am just skeptical this time around. I know the whole idea is Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games but for me even those weren't good enough last gen, I was really not a fan of the waggle at all. I just remember getting past the launch excitement and then by March things slowed way down and never picked back up. I did find some of the answers in another thread right after I posted so I could have edited it. I just hate sorting through what is rumor and what is not and google, and especially wikipedia are not good sources of reliable information, in my experience. I can say that so far the WiiU does have me at least a little more excited than with the first one.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4695 on: October 28, 2012, 11:11:58 PM »
You don't even need to go to Google though, it's right here on NWR (among many other places here on the site): https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hardware/26111

As for Wikipedia, it's pretty reliable for console information (especially since all the info have sources linked to them).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: October 28, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
I did find what I was looking for but did it occur to anyone that I did search google and this forum is what came up? Anyways looks like some things never change so I will let it go.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: October 29, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
I guess I will just have to wait till after the new year then. I want one but financially I am not in a place to pay what scalpers are asking and from what I gather it's getting harder to pre-order.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: October 29, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
You just need to try and find a store that's not taking preorders, and line up for it. It seems like those stores are a lot fewer than they once were, with Walmart even going the preorder route.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: October 29, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Go to Kmart. I work at one, and we don't do preorders. All you need to do is be first in line when they open (which won't be that hard, considering everyone always forgets about Kmart), and hurry back to the electronics section and grab an associate to get your **** from behind the glass.

I'll probably keep one in the back for myself, though. :P