Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592772 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4650 on: October 24, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
There was a time that the Gamecube was being sold for a loss just after the price drop to $99.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4651 on: October 24, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »
Again, I say it just depends on how much of a loss the price is. 

If you are talking $25.00 or less a unit...it was just priced at a point to get those magic marketing numbers then it is not a problem.  Nintendo can make it up big time on accessories and Nintendo really needs to get its system out there in large numbers year 1.

If we are talking $50-100.00  then that is very problematic.  Specially closer to the $100.00 side.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4652 on: October 24, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
@gibbogame: wiiu think there will be shipment bottleneck to meet demand, said gamestop sold pre-orders in 1.5 days and 250k now on wait list

Yumpin' yimminy.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: October 25, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »
Choice cuts from the financial briefing. (Emphasis mine)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025/02.html

GameStop, which is the largest specialty retailer of video games in the U.S., created a “waiting listÂEafter all of their allocated pre-orders had been sold out, and as of last week, more than 250,000 consumers had put their name and contact details on the waiting list for a Wii U system.

As production only started this summer, it has now become more likely that it is our production capacity, rather than consumer demand, that will place limits on our Wii U prospects for this calendar year, but we will make every effort to supply as many units as possible, and we will strive to continue to ship Wii U hardware without any interruptions in each region even after its launch.

In this fiscal year we are looking to ship 5.5 million units of Wii U hardware and 24 million units of Wii U software.
By the way, when we launched Wii six years ago, we shipped 5.84 million units of hardware and 28.84 million units of software in its first year. Please note that while this software sales figure includes bundled copies, the software sales estimate I have just shown does not.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: October 25, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Choice cuts from the financial briefing.

GameStop, which is the largest specialty retailer of video games in the U.S., created a “waiting listÂEafter all of their allocated pre-orders had been sold out, and as of last week, more than 250,000 consumers had put their name and contact details on the waiting list for a Wii U system.

As production only started this summer, it has now become more likely that it is our production capacity, rather than consumer demand, that will place limits on our Wii U prospects for this calendar year, but we will make every effort to supply as many units as possible, and we will strive to continue to ship Wii U hardware without any interruptions in each region even after its launch.

In this fiscal year we are looking to ship 5.5 million units of Wii U hardware and 24 million units of Wii U software.
By the way, when we launched Wii six years ago, we shipped 5.84 million units of hardware and 28.84 million units of software in its first year. Please note that while this software sales figure includes bundled copies, the software sales estimate I have just shown does not.

Nintendo of Japan pays attention to GameStop? That's like an American paying attention to what GAME does in the UK.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: October 25, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »
Choice cuts from the financial briefing.

Nintendo of Japan pays attention to GameStop? That's like an American paying attention to what GAME does in the UK.

Gamestop is a major retaile in America. Nintendo of Japan would pay attention to them in order to gauge the American market. Gamestop is a barometer for games sales in America. As for an American paying attention to GAME, all of the people interested in the Operation Rainfall games paid attention to the preorder sales of each of those to get an idea of how well they would sell.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: October 25, 2012, 12:57:41 AM »

I think this might just be my first NFS game i ever bought.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: October 25, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
I'm as shocked as everyone else about the Wii U being sold for a loss though.  While that may make it cheaper, did they not learn from Sony's financial woes?  Because the PS3 was being sold at a loss, and it pretty much cost Sony hundreds of millions of dollars as a result.
If Nintendo is selling the Wii U for the loss that Sony was selling the PS3 at initially (it was reported to cost around $900 to make the PS3 and they sold it for $600), then they are doing something wrong.  The most likely scenario is that the loss is less than $50 and probably closer to $25.  The original Xbox was never sold at a profit and the 360 only became profitable for the hardware 4 years after it was released.  This is normal for the rest of the industry, just not normal for Nintendo.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »

How so? Nintendo "of Japan" is basically just Nintendo; despite what many of its actions might imply, their main concern is with the company's worldwide performance, not just Japan's.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: October 25, 2012, 11:43:42 PM »
There is no "Nintendo of Japan". The Japanese main office is simply Nintendo Co. Ltd., or NCL.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: October 26, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »

Me too.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: October 26, 2012, 12:10:15 AM »
Quick question about Nintendo TVii.  I've searched the net and haven't been able to find an answer.  I know Nintendo TVii will work with Tivo boxes but will you be able to stream things recorded on the Tivo box to the gamepad or is it just an integration of your recordings allowing you easy access to view on your TV? 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: October 26, 2012, 12:17:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
dam, would've been nice if I could watch all my shows on the gamepad.  Thanks for the info though.  I wonder when Nintendo will hold another Nintendo Direct tailered for the WiiU given that the system launches in mid November.  There is still so much to talk about.  I think one a week before launch day will be where it lands. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: October 26, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
Been asking the same thing for over a month now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: October 26, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »
I would assume its something software related on the Tivo units.  They were never designed for streaming even though they are wireless.  I wonder if future Tivo units will provide the feature of a future software update will open it up.  Waiting for updates on Tivo though is rough, they are lazy as sh*t in that regard. 

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4666 on: October 26, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
The Wii U has no video input, so it can't stream anything that's not built into the system. And I doubt Nintendo would ever officially let anything other than a Wii U stream to the controller.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: October 26, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
Apparently, Silicon Knights was working on Eternal Darkness 2 at the same time as X-Men Destiny and Denis Dyack is kind of a dick

This article is mostly about X-Men Destiny's troubled development. The juicy bit is that SK was secretly working on a ED2 demo to pitch to publishers. I thought the basic understanding was that Silicon Knights couldn't make a sequel without Nintendo since Nintendo shared the rights to the IP if not owned it outright. If this article is to be believed, it looks like SK may hold those rights.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
Apparently, Silicon Knights was working on Eternal Darkness 2 at the same time as X-Men Destiny and Denis Dyack is kind of a dick

This article is mostly about X-Men Destiny's troubled development. The juicy bit is that SK was secretly working on a ED2 demo to pitch to publishers. I thought the basic understanding was that Silicon Knights couldn't make a sequel without Nintendo since Nintendo shared the rights to the IP if not owned it outright. If this article is to be believed, it looks like SK may hold those rights.

I think they may have been working on a demo to pitch to Nintendo, but ED2 isn't going anywhere without Nintendo's say so.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: October 26, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »

And a confirmation from EA:
"We are very excited to deliver Need for Speed: Most Wanted on more platforms and to more gamers," a representative for EA said. "Starting Oct. 30, Most Wanted will be available on X360, PS3, PS Vita, Android and iOS. Then in 2013, Nintendo fans will be able to experience what it means to be Most Wanted amongst their friends on the Wii U."

This Need for Speed game is by Criterion so it is better to think of it less as a Need for Speed sequel and more as a Burnout Paradise successor. Nice to see Criterion back on a Nintendo system after a long absence that started with Burnout 2: Point of Impact on the Gamecube (or Burnout: Legend on the DS if Criterion developed that game).

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: October 26, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Nintendo fans will be able to experience what it means to be Most Wanted amongst their friends on the Wii U."
Watch them release full NFS anthology including this game and seven others two weeks earlier and 10$ cheaper. :D

pls don't ea
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: October 26, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »
I refuse to buy anything from EA, so... no Need for Speed for me.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »
It not coming until next year kills it for me. I was already probably going to buy the Vita version, but I might have been convinced to hold out for the Wii U game if it were coming at launch or soon after.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: October 26, 2012, 06:44:30 PM »
I refuse to buy anything from EA, so... no Need for Speed for me.
I'm sorry to hear that.  Burnout Paradise was an amazing and very fun game.  With this being a sort of spiritual successor I think it will be lots of fun and I'm sorry you will miss out on it.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: October 27, 2012, 05:45:27 AM »

Nintendo outright owns the Eternal Darkness IP. They were probably working on a pitch for Nintendo and if Nintendo turned it down they would have pitched it to third party publishers as a "Spiritual Successor to Eternal Darkness".
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle