Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592763 times)

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4625 on: October 23, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
Well their games not being buggy and their hardware not being fragile or unreliable are the only competent things I would expect from Nintendo.  I fully expect anything to do with online gaming from Nintendo to be half-assed and archaic.  Doesn't mean I should be cool with it when Nintendo meets that expectation.

This ain't going to sink the system single-handedly but this won't be the only thing.  They just get too many little things wrong, or at the very least inferior to the competition, and it all builds up and then you step back and realize that Nintendo's system pretty much doesn't do anything better than the other systems.

If Nintendo isn't interested is something they half-ass it and it's obvious.  They don't care about online so their online setup sucks.
Assumptions made:
That you already know what the future of online gaming should be.
That you've already had the full Nintendo online experience.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: October 23, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »
This ain't going to sink the system single-handedly but this won't be the only thing.  They just get too many little things wrong, or at the very least inferior to the competition, and it all builds up and then you step back and realize that Nintendo's system pretty much doesn't do anything better than the other systems.
3 words:
Mah Ree Oh.
Thing'll sell, maybe not gangbusters, but it will. Doesn't mean you have to like it or buy it.
Will you buy it? You sure bitch about it alot. Are you buying anyway?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: October 23, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
Really hope so As the OS and eshop are the two big things left to show. 

Also anyone else find it crappy that Black ops 2 wont have elite on wii U.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4628 on: October 23, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
They didn't say it would never come, just that they are working on it. Wii U is a brand new system, so I am not surprised they don't have it worked out yet.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »
Rich from IGN says exciting Nintendo news will show up this Thursday. That's all, no need to click the link.
Actually he doesn't say exciting, he just say's a lot is coming up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichIGN/status/260799418318602240

And aside from this universal voice chat thing, Nintendo's Miiverse is sounding like an amazing online system to me.

So Nintendo Direct this Thursday huh?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: October 24, 2012, 02:46:03 AM »
Nintendo needs a Pushmo-esque eShop seller for the Wii U. Mutant Mudds Deluxe, while cool, will not do. Neither will Mighty Switch Force HD. That game just doesn't have a lot of content.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4631 on: October 24, 2012, 02:48:47 AM »
Cloudberry Kingdom? Trine 2? Little Inferno? Toki Tori 2? Chasing Aurora? Nano Assault Neo? Puddle? Runner 2?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:54:57 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: October 24, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
A Nintendo-developed eShop title. That is exclusive to their eShop.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: October 24, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
It'll come. We didn't get Pushmo until almost 9 months after the 3DS launch.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: October 24, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted, but apparently the Wii U is also going to be sold at a loss (initially).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-24/nintendo-cuts-forecast-on-lower-demand-for-3ds-stronger-yen.html

Greedy Nintendo, overcharging for obsolete tech!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: October 24, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted, but apparently the Wii U is also going to be sold at a loss (initially).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-24/nintendo-cuts-forecast-on-lower-demand-for-3ds-stronger-yen.html

In before first person said they should have sold for more of a lost.

Seriously though I'm surprised because this is Nintendo.  I'm not surprised looking at the Tech and the Price.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: October 24, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

Take That, IanSane and the rest
you know who you are
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: October 24, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »

In before first person said they should have sold for more of a lost.

Seriously though I'm surprised because this is Nintendo.  I'm not surprised looking at the Tech and the Price.
I'm a big proponent of Nintendo selling hardware for a profit.

When a company is selling something at a loss, they are basically admitting that they are doing something that market does not want them to do, yet they are doing it anyway.  This is simply bad business. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: October 24, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
Resident Evil Revelations Director: The Wii U Would Let Us Create a Very Unique and Fun Resident Evil Game
If I was to work on a game for the Wii U, I would definitely want to make something that couldn't be done on any other hardware...The GamePad's separate screen enables so many possibilities, and playing on a television screen would enable sharing the experience in a way that wasn't possible on Nintendo 3DS. I feel it would let us create a very unique and fun Resident Evil game.
Yes. More of that, please. Thanks.

Let's hope Capcom allows him make this game. I would love a brand new (possibly exclusive) Resident Evil game on Wii U from the team that developed Revelaitons.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: October 24, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
Wii U being sold at a loss? I know I should be happy about that as a consumer but why am I not? That is to say I certainly wouldn't go for no $400 machine.

This is like big news right? I could have sworn Reggie or someone else said the exact opposite at some point.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: October 24, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
apparently the Wii U is also going to be sold at a loss (initially).
Why should i care?

I am in it for games not for tech or price comparisons.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: October 24, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
Why should i care?

I am in it for games not for tech or price comparisons.
A lot of people do.  Its one of there larger arguments and for some really silly considering their money habits.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: October 24, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
Why should i care?

Whether you care or not is entirely up to you.

I would point out, though, that this may give us some indications about what Microsoft and Sony's next consoles are likely to have under the hood. That, in turn, is important because if those systems aren't magnitudes more powerful than the Wii U, third-party ports are more likely to occur.

So, games.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: October 24, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »
Oh, that Nintendo, swindling us one six year old tech, etc etc.

Whatever. At least I don't have to pay six hundred dollars for it. By the way, Revelations was an awesome game that emulated the survival horror aspects of Resident Evil well, so I would love to see a Wii U exclusive Resident Evil by its director. At least he seems to get the franchise.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: October 24, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
I am shocked that Nintendo is selling the Wii U at a loss.  Have they ever done that?  I really only ask that they try to break even on the hardware.  I just don't like the Wii pricing where it seems like they passed off as weak of hardware they felt they could get away with to increase the profit margin.  I would not expect or every really want them to lose money on the system itself.

Of course what part of this is the console hardware and what part is the controller?  If the controller is the real factor in that then the hardware could still be underpowered.  Still this is encouraging.  At the very least Nintendo doesn't feel that a large profit margin on hardware isn't worth seriously compromising the console.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »
Didn't the 3ds sell for a lost. This really wasn't suprising when factoring all of the tech packed into the system.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: October 24, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
I would think the Near Field Communication might contribute to it, too.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4647 on: October 24, 2012, 06:39:55 PM »
Well, if it is small lose then Nintendo will make it up on other sales. 

If Nintendo is losing like $20.00 per unit sold, then selling 1 WiiU Classic Controller will make the device profitable.  And then most likely people will buy 2 of those...and then you have people that will need to buy more or new controllers. 

So yeah if it is a small enough profit loss then it is actually good for Nintendo.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: October 24, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
Didn't the 3ds sell for a lost. This really wasn't suprising when factoring all of the tech packed into the system.

If it did I imagine it was only after the price cut.  Nintendo would have to really be afraid of the 3DS failing to make such a dramatic price cut on something they were already taking a loss on.

Offline CM30

• View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Community
« Reply #4649 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
As far as I know, the 3DS was only sold at a loss after the price cut, and they eventually got development costs down enough that now it's being sold for a profit again.

I'm as shocked as everyone else about the Wii U being sold for a loss though.  While that may make it cheaper, did they not learn from Sony's financial woes?  Because the PS3 was being sold at a loss, and it pretty much cost Sony hundreds of millions of dollars as a result.
Nintendo 3DS Community, my forum

Long time Nintendo fan, Mario fan game player and writer.