Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592841 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4600 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »
How is their voice solutions now?

I remember it was pretty shitty in Brain Training, but i think i remember people saying it was okay in Pokemon Black&White?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: October 22, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
Just read up on the Wii U voice chat and find that it being lacking disapointing. I'm still somewhat excoted about the launch however.

You guys think nintendo is going to be dumb and have a nintendo direct for wii U this month or do the smart thing and wait tillnovemeber.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: October 22, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
Why would it be dumb if they have a Nintendo Direct for Wii U this month?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: October 22, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
Knowing Nintendo and their recent tendencies, they'll probably do both.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
I think it be smarter for them to do a Nintendo Direct this week.  Simply because Demo Units are starting to hit availability and they need to highlight that plus we still know next to nothing on the UI and Online.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: October 22, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »
Chiming in late on the voice chat stuff here.  Nintendo's "solution" just sounds archaic.  It wouldn't affect my purchase since I don't really care about voice chat but this is an industry standard feature these days and the Wii U's voice chat shouldn't come across as out-of-date.

Nintendo can't just figure these things out themselves and go through the growing pains naturally in situations where they're behind.  Yeah Nintendo didn't go online with the Cube.  Well while that explains why they're five years behind the rest of the industry with online stuff it doesn't make that acceptable.  Sorry, Nintendo, you have to just step up.  Same with going to HD way behind everyone else.  "Well we're inexperienced."  I don't care.  That was your own choice.  Why should anyone make an exception for you and cut you slack when the other guys have got this stuff down pat?

In most industries if you're behind you're dead.  I think Nintendo has been incredibly lucky to have avoided that so I don't know why they're cool with remaining behind.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: October 22, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »

In most industries if you're behind you're dead.  I think Nintendo has been incredibly lucky to have avoided that so I don't know why they're cool with remaining behind.

I'm presuming it's because last generation they generally haven't actually been "behind," at least not in the categories that matter most to the majority of the general public. Whether they actually fall behind in ways that matter going forward is still up for debate, of course.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: October 22, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
Why would it be dumb if they have a Nintendo Direct for Wii U this month?

Good chance its going to get buried into the news cycle. In the next two weeks we have an apple event, a google event, a tmobile one, and three microsoft events. All of the press in the next two weeks will be about those events as well as the coverage and reviews of those products.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: October 22, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
Nintendo Direct will reach the audience it's supposed to reach. Apple, Google, and T Mobile aren't games companies. The Microsoft ones are probably devoted to Surface and Windows 8.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
LOL, I wonder how many people have enough disposable income to spend $1,669.75 +tax on the Wii U and every launch game?
I do.

That's an impressive order azeke! I myself am currently budgeting around $950 for the Wii U Launch (including taxes), with an additional $330 for the rest of Launch Window. I'm so excited for the third party games! So many third party games!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: October 22, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
Chiming in late on the voice chat stuff here.  Nintendo's "solution" just sounds archaic.  It wouldn't affect my purchase since I don't really care about voice chat but this is an industry standard feature these days and the Wii U's voice chat shouldn't come across as out-of-date.

Nintendo can't just figure these things out themselves and go through the growing pains naturally in situations where they're behind.  Yeah Nintendo didn't go online with the Cube.  Well while that explains why they're five years behind the rest of the industry with online stuff it doesn't make that acceptable.  Sorry, Nintendo, you have to just step up.  Same with going to HD way behind everyone else.  "Well we're inexperienced."  I don't care.  That was your own choice.  Why should anyone make an exception for you and cut you slack when the other guys have got this stuff down pat?

For the record, from what we've heard Nintendo's voice chat implementation is basically the same as Sony's. Microsoft's is better, but I wouldn't call it the industry standard.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »
Nintendo Direct will reach the audience it's supposed to reach. Apple, Google, and T Mobile aren't games companies. The Microsoft ones are probably devoted to Surface and Windows 8.

Nintendo wants the overall mainstream audience to know it. It doesn't matter if the other companies aren't gaming companies.  Mainstream media like CNN,Huffpost, and the local news don't source ign. They source the Verges and Engadgets of the world.

The two of the three microsoft events are for window 8 and windows phone 8. The third is a dev event also dealing with xbox.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: October 22, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
The mainstream audience doesn't pay attention to Nintendo Directs, no matter when they are. If they did, Nintendo would announce them more than 18 hours ahead of time. The TV ads are what Nintendo's counting on to reach the mainstream; these kinds of specific events are for people like us who will pay attention regardless of when they happen.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »

For the record, from what we've heard Nintendo's voice chat implementation is basically the same as Sony's. Microsoft's is better, but I wouldn't call it the industry standard.

The problem is that you would think that nintendo would look at the best implmentation and attempt to trump it.

Next-Gen microsoft has the ability to trump it again with skype intergration.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: October 22, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
No, I wouldn't think that. I'd want it, sure, but I sure as hell wouldn't expect it out of Nintendo.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: October 22, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
Next-Gen microsoft has the ability to trump it again with skype intergration.
I believe they already announced Skype Integration.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: October 22, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
It was something like Skype (video-chat software) which was shown at E3.  It's more or less an 1 on 1 chat-session though so it wouldn't work in something like COD all that well--but 1 on 1 co-op missions would be easy enough.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
Not to seem judgmental, racist, or an asshole, but she really didn't seem like she had that kind of money. It doesn't take much to get a credit card.

Then you shouldn't of called her "fat" and "black" and just left it as "a lady".

:P

Because they have this bad-ass "leave luck to heaven" attitude.. ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: October 22, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »

Nintendo intentionally remains "behind" and avoids running the same rat race everyone else takes as gospel. It's their whole "lateral innovation through withered technology" strain that comes from Gunpei Yokoi's legacy. Interesting word choice: not just old, but WITHERED.

There's always things Nintendo can/should do better. But when the movers and shakers there sit down to prioritize, their decision process isn't dictated by "keeping up with the Joneses" ... For better or for worse.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:22 AM »
Sorry to cut into this conversation but I managed to swing through my local Best Buys today to see if they had their demo units up and lucky me it was.  My quick initial impression of the system is that in love. 
  • The controller felt great in my hands, I didn't really feel much of a difference in weight as compared to my 360 controller. 
  • The button layout was perfect and the analog sticks have to be the best ones I've ever used.  They just felt soooo smooth. 
  • The touch screen was good, nothing mind blowing but also not anything sh*tty.  Its touch responce was really good.  That was something I was afraid about coming in.  I figured it was one of those touch screens that required me to use my finger nail instead of the base of my finger.  Thank god it wasn't, it operated as smooth as I would expect a tablet screen would (although I'm not much of a tablet user so I can't really compare them to well)
  • The build quality was great.  Everything felt sturdy yet soft to the touch.
  • The only playable demo was Rayman which was Fing amazing.  I haven't played Rayman since the SNES days so I was floored by what was going on.  I particularly LOVED the Castle Rock stage.  The demo station was hooked up to what sounded like a really good audio system and the music was on blast so the whole stage was a complete rush.  The other demos were disappointing in that the few that I checked out didn't have videos and only had still images to look at.  I'm surprised trailers weren't up for each respective game.  Also, there was some serious loading when exiting the Rayman demo.

All in all, my experience was just great.  I'm even more excited now to get my WiiU on launch day.  My time with Rayman has me sold on the gameplay and it's shot up as a day one purchase when it releases.  Has anyone else ran into these demo stations in the wild yet?  I know Bestbuys are getting them but I'm not sure who else is yet. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4620 on: October 23, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »
All I want to know is if the chat is system based...and can be upgraded and improved or if it is software based. 

It can after all, still be system based but requires the software to ask for permissions to use voice chat...I hope this is the case, as I like the idea of software being able to not request and therefore prevent distractions from voice chat or even text chatting for that reason. 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
Sorry to cut into this conversation but I managed to swing through my local Best Buys today to see if they had their demo units up and lucky me it was.  My quick initial impression of the system is that in love. 
  • The controller felt great in my hands, I didn't really feel much of a difference in weight as compared to my 360 controller. 
  • The button layout was perfect and the analog sticks have to be the best ones I've ever used.  They just felt soooo smooth. 
  • The touch screen was good, nothing mind blowing but also not anything sh*tty.  Its touch responce was really good.  That was something I was afraid about coming in.  I figured it was one of those touch screens that required me to use my finger nail instead of the base of my finger.  Thank god it wasn't, it operated as smooth as I would expect a tablet screen would (although I'm not much of a tablet user so I can't really compare them to well)
  • The build quality was great.  Everything felt sturdy yet soft to the touch.
  • The only playable demo was Rayman which was Fing amazing.  I haven't played Rayman since the SNES days so I was floored by what was going on.  I particularly LOVED the Castle Rock stage.  The demo station was hooked up to what sounded like a really good audio system and the music was on blast so the whole stage was a complete rush.  The other demos were disappointing in that the few that I checked out didn't have videos and only had still images to look at.  I'm surprised trailers weren't up for each respective game.  Also, there was some serious loading when exiting the Rayman demo.

All in all, my experience was just great.  I'm even more excited now to get my WiiU on launch day.  My time with Rayman has me sold on the gameplay and it's shot up as a day one purchase when it releases.  Has anyone else ran into these demo stations in the wild yet?  I know Bestbuys are getting them but I'm not sure who else is yet. 
Going to stop by mine again today.  They were suppose to have the Wii U setup by Friday so I ended my Skylander hunt at Best Buy on Sunday because they opened latest and should have had the Wii U but alas not going to happen.

Also when reading your bullets I immediately thought, I like my Wii U Gamepads like I like my Women "sturdy yet soft to the touch."

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
I don't understand how people always forget that Microsoft and Sony were losing their shirts for a long time on their consoles. Outside of the 3DS for a short period of time Nintendo doesn't do that. They can't do that. This is their business. Sony has a bunch of other businesses (all of which somehow also manage to lose money, but whatever) Microsoft has Windows and Office and their enterprise businesses. Nintendo has Nintendo. So it's not surprising when they don't blow money on ridiculous new systems. They can't survive in that world. They have to be smarter and take different gambles. They have the technical know how to have made the 3DS more like the vita, but where would that have gotten them? And the Wii U may not be brain meltingly awesome, but they're taking a gamble that it'll be good enough for them to make money on. If the next consoles from Microsoft and Sony are magnificent leaps above where we are now it will probably lose money for those companies for a good while. If they're just a half step or so better than the Wii U then Nintendo may have won big.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: October 23, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
No, I wouldn't think that. I'd want it, sure, but I sure as hell wouldn't expect it out of Nintendo.

Well their games not being buggy and their hardware not being fragile or unreliable are the only competent things I would expect from Nintendo.  I fully expect anything to do with online gaming from Nintendo to be half-assed and archaic.  Doesn't mean I should be cool with it when Nintendo meets that expectation.

This ain't going to sink the system single-handedly but this won't be the only thing.  They just get too many little things wrong, or at the very least inferior to the competition, and it all builds up and then you step back and realize that Nintendo's system pretty much doesn't do anything better than the other systems.

If Nintendo isn't interested is something they half-ass it and it's obvious.  They don't care about online so their online setup sucks.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: October 23, 2012, 03:25:10 PM »
Rich from IGN says exciting Nintendo news will show up this Thursday. That's all, no need to click the link.
Actually he doesn't say exciting, he just say's a lot is coming up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichIGN/status/260799418318602240

And aside from this universal voice chat thing, Nintendo's Miiverse is sounding like an amazing online system to me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:40:00 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn