Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592840 times)

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4575 on: October 21, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »
the display TV had its input switched to USB memory stick and the Gamestop employees did not have the remote to switch it back to HDMI. I could only look at the Control pade. So close yet so far!
So much fail! You would think the TV has some buttons to switch the inputs but some manufacturers are just that cheap and lazy. I am glad to hear about its lightness and anti-glare. If there was a game that depended heavily on motion control then your arms won't get tired so much and the pad's positioning won't make the screen harder to see. I remember Nintendo saying the 3DS XL has 3 layers of anti-glare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: October 21, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
The display TV is encased in this white plastic shell and there are exposed volume buttons and the button that shows that it is on USB input, but no buttons to switch back to HDMI. I have a theory that the Verizon store has the same TV next door but with a remote and they inadvertently switched it.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wii U surprisingly powerful
« Reply #4577 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »
From Nintendo Power and Rayman developer.
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://nintendoeverything.com/101943/rayman-creator-wii-u-surprisingly-powerful-legends-using-new-lighting-engine/[/font]

“What surprises me with Wii U is that we don’t have many technical problems. It’s really running very well, in fact. We’re not obliged to constantly optimize things. Even on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions [of Origins], we had some fill-rate issues and things like that. So it’s partly us – we improved the engine – but I think the console is quite powerful. Surprisingly powerful. And there’ a lot of memory. You can really have huge textures, and it’s crazy because sometimes the graphic artist – we built our textures in very high-dentition. They could be used in a movie. Then we compress them, but sometimes they forget to do the compression and it still works! [Laughs] So yeah, it’s quite powerful. It’s hard sometimes when you’re one of the first developers because it’s up to you to come up with solutions to certain problems. But the core elements of the console are surprisingly powerful.

“And because we’re developing for Wii U, we don’t have to worry about cross-platform optimization.

“We can push what the console can do; push it to its limits. And of course, we have a new lighting engine. In fact, the game engine for Origins was mostly just classic sprites in HD, but now we can light them and add shadows and all these things. So there is some technical innovation with the engine itself. “
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4578 on: October 21, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
The large texture handling is good news. That's the reason emulated PS1 games often look much better than N64 games.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: October 21, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
Well they are working to current generation standards so its no surprise they aren't having any trouble. Who knows what Microsoft and Sony have cooking and how devs will try to close the gap (assuming there's much of a gap to close).

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: October 21, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
I finally got to play with it. I fucking fell in love with the controller and the game. I'm so hyped for it now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: October 21, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear if it'll support USB keyboards like the Wii does.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: October 21, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear if it'll support USB keyboards like the Wii does.

Whats wrong with a built in touchscreen keyboard... like our cellphones and tablets?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: October 21, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »
It would be better than nothing, but it'd be a lot harder to feel out keys. It isn't ideal to look down at the controller when playing a game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: October 21, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »
So I checked with other Gamestops and Best Buys today. The store with the misconfigured display is apparently THE ONLY WII U IN 200 MILES. I am frusturated.

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: October 21, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »
my closest GameStop hasn't got their station yet, but said they would "soon". Pretty excited to try it, especially after reading hands-on impressions from the people that have played it. Starting to get in that 'new Nintendo system excitement' mode...

Although the complete lack of advertisement in the US thus far is a bit puzzling / possibly worrying...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: October 22, 2012, 12:47:49 AM »
I really like the music rythm mode on Rayman Legends. I had a crowd watching me at the Gamestop and they seemed to like it. The word is definitely positive.

Some fat black lady said she had preordered the Deluxe version and EVERY launch title. I'd say it's gonna be big.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4587 on: October 22, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
LOL, I wonder how many people have enough disposable income to spend $1,669.75 +tax on the Wii U and every launch game?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: October 22, 2012, 12:52:44 AM »
Not to seem judgmental, racist, or an asshole, but she really didn't seem like she had that kind of money. It doesn't take much to get a credit card.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »
I really like the music rythm mode on Rayman Legends. I had a crowd watching me at the Gamestop and they seemed to like it. The word is definitely positive.

Some fat black lady said she had preordered the Deluxe version and EVERY launch title. I'd say it's gonna be big.

She probably is one of those people that likes to resell things on eBay.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: October 22, 2012, 01:08:51 AM »
LOL, I wonder how many people have enough disposable income to spend $1,669.75 +tax on the Wii U and every launch game?
I do.

She probably is one of those people that likes to resell things on eBay.
I wish her good luck selling Mass Effect 3 special edition.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:33 AM »
It would be better than nothing, but it'd be a lot harder to feel out keys. It isn't ideal to look down at the controller when playing a game.

Don't forget that Nintendo has co-developed and tested voice recognition software too. And with their working relationship with Google, I would hope they can come up with some sort of solution to the voice/text chat situation.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »
What working relationship?
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:15 AM »
And with their working relationship with Google, I would hope they can come up with some sort of solution to the voice/text chat situation.

What?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: October 22, 2012, 01:28:07 AM »
I don't know what BlackNMild2k1 is referencing, but apparently Nintendo and Google have developed an OS together.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: October 22, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »
Except they didn't. We've been through this earlier on the forums. It was a research project developed by a couple of guys who worked at Nintendo. One of them left Nintendo and later worked for Google Japan. He then left Google and started his own company, still working on the OS. Since he worked for both companies, it fell under their copyrights, but it doesn't mean there was ever a major "working relationship." In fact, if you look at the copyright dates, they are disjoint and the latest list Esrille, his new company. Google also donated some funds for a couple summer programming projects a few years ago, but they do that with hundreds of other companies/projects. It's pretty telling that neither Google nor Nintendo chose to use that OS, but developed their own or contracted out to different companies.

Also, please don't bring up that Wii game that used Google search result numbers. That was developed by another company, Shift, and it's not even clear that Google did anything besides give the okay to use their numbers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:54:02 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: October 22, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
Google Japan? I didn't realize Google was that popular... Don't the Japanese have their own web standards and such?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4597 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
Google Japan? I didn't realize Google was that popular... Don't the Japanese have their own web standards and such?

Didn't realize Google was that popular? Google has over 80% of the global search engine marketshare (in just the US, it is 65% of the marketshare). Google also just started selling the Nexus 7 in Japan.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: October 22, 2012, 01:53:16 AM »

my bad, I didn't mean Google, I meant to "google" their voice recognition partner... but I was multi-tasking and very distracted with something else, then came back to this page and hit submit forgetting that I never finished editing the post.   :-[

Here is what I meant to reference:
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/nintendo-ds-gets-voice-recognition-and-cloud-storage-for-teaching-20120131/

I'm not sure how I sure how I substituted  Google in there.... (I must be tired)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:58:03 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: October 22, 2012, 01:56:51 AM »
Ah, a couple of other companies have developed realtime phone translation and video translation, so things could be interesting, but I'm not sure how much Nintendo will get involved. Nintendo seems to limit how much they'll develop the technologies -- for instance, they localized Brain Age handwriting and voice recognition (poorly), but they didn't localize the voice synthesizer for Tomodachi Collection. They demoed VOIP back before the DS came out, but it never went anywhere.

It would be nice if they could use Google's voice recognition though; it works really well on Android.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:02:46 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka