Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592826 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4550 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:02 AM »
WiiWare should get it before the end of the year, as long as the approval process proceeds smoothly. There was some sort of licensing screwjob with XBLA, so even though that platform was supposed to get it much earlier, it's still not out there. Wii U isn't going to get it anytime soon since the dev doesn't have a devkit.

How do you know that the develope does not have a devkit? How long does the Wiiware approval process take?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: October 18, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »
Some Voice Chat News
Quote from: Kotaku
- No universal support for in-game voice chat
- Game-by-game support for in-game chat
- The GamePad mic will not, by default, work as an input for in-game voice chat
- The Wii U will support wired headsets (and possibly mic-enabled headphones), but only through the Wii U GamePad
- No news yet about whether wireless headsets can or will be supported

Some odd choices. I read some of the comments on Kotaku and the reactions are split as I'm sure they will be on NWR. No universal in-game chat will likely sting for many. I'm sure it's possible for Nintendo to add this later via a firmware update (could be part of the reason why Nintendo reserved so much RAM for system resources) though I'm less sure they will. Having to plug the headset into the GamePad even if you plan on using the Pro Controller (which doesn't have a headphone jack) is a shame. I get that the GamePad is the Wii U's main controller, but it's still a shame. The Pro Controller is pretty pricey for what it is and a headphone jack for voice chat would have been a nice and certainly welcome addition. I know the Dual Shock 3 doesn't have one either and I've felt the same way about that.

I don't know how often I would use voice chat especially since I typically haven't on PS3 so this affects me less than most. However, I admit that I find this is pretty limiting for avid online users who love voice chat.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:34:14 PM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
I'm curious if its turned on Game by Game and Nintendo actually has the whole voice chat infrastructure in place or if its developed Game by Game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
I wish there was a word or phrase for the instances where Nintendo just fumbles something completely easy. Maybe Fumblendo? I'm taking suggestions.

Anyway, there is no mention of bluetooth headsets, only wired ones so there is HOPE (however little there maybe).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: October 18, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I always expected to pause the game to use the Miiverse chat system, especially for Nintendo games. So that is fine. But what gets me is the not being ale to use a head set with the pro controller.

Well at least this isn't a totally crippling bone head move. I suppose we were long due for one of them. Lets hope it's the last.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: October 18, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
I think the message is clear that in Nintendo's mind, the Pro controller is only there for multiplayer. When it's just you, they expect you to use the GamePad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
Yeah that makes sense. Also if I'm playing call of duty with the Wiimote along with the pad sitting there as a map it won't hurt me to plug my headset in to the Upad if I'm using it anyway.

I'm cool with it all. Tekken better have voice chat, it does on the other consoles right? I normally don't like all the swearing and crap I get from typical morons, but with my friends they have to verbally teach me the tricks.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
I wonder what they plan to do with Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Is voice chat limited to 1 person per console even if say 2 other people are playing on the same console against a friend online?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
Hold on, so for PS3 and 360 every game I go online with has voice chat?

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: October 18, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
I think so. PS3 just can't do cross game chat. You cn only chat with people in the same game. I believe it was due to how Sony split the RAM.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: October 18, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
Really, people who would have played Call of Duty using the Pro Controller exclusively would have bought the game on the 360 anyway.

I'm not sure sure I know how I feel about the lack of voice chat yet.

In games like Left 4 Dead its extremely important for all player to communicate with their voice and greatly enhances the social experience, but I only bother play it with friends I know in real life. On the other hand the social experience can be terrible because of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory:

It is because of this that I stay away from Xbox Live multiplayer. Its an absolute cesspool of bigotry.

[Not related: I was once in a game with a bunch of guys who were actual career pimps, discussing the nuances and complexities of the pimping business. I was so out of my depth I kept my mouth shut the entire time. It was also interesting to listen in to because it felt educational in a way, like a documentary.]

Nintendo are trying to create a family friendly experience, so limiting voice chat to a per game basis seems the most sensible move. I would think by not including voice chat as a standard feature they are forcing developers to find different ways for players to communicate with each other.

The touchscreen on the Wii u pad would ease communication somewhat. Like how in Demon Souls you select from a list of predefined phrases to form a sentence. I imagine it would work like this:
You select something you want to say from the Wii U pad, then it outputs it in speech to all necessary players (optionally in the voice of your character) from the built-in speakers on the Wii U pad.

This way nothing offensive can be said and it keeps you immersed in the game world because you don't hear your team mate who is playing as a little girly mage talking like 40 year old man.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:37:36 PM by MrPhishfood »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: October 18, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
Is there not a wireless blu tooth head set already announced to work with Wii U? Got to do some research.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4562 on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
Is there not a wireless blu tooth head set already announced to work with Wii U? Got to do some research.

I haven't seen any. All the licensed head sets I have seen announced for Wii U (Turtle Beach and Mad Catz) are wired.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
parental controls, mixed with friends list would go a long way in keeping voice chat civil.

I should be able to chat with someone on my friend list regardless of what I'm doing/paying on the system. As for a big game with lots of people, i should be able to tick a box next to their username to enable myself to hear them or not. I don't see why these options are not being left in the hands of the user at the OS level, but maybe a firmware update will take care of that later.

Can't expect Nintendo to get it all right the first time out. They've made a few large steps in the right direction from what we've been hearing, so I'll give them pass on this... for now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 18, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Can't expect Nintendo to get it all right the first time out. They've made a few large steps in the right direction from what we've been hearing, so I'll give them pass on this... for now.
Agreed. To Nintendo's credit, this is the 1st thing about Wii U that was kind of a bummer. If they allow wireless headsets and update the firmware to allow cross game chat with friends, this is immediately a non-issue.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: October 18, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
I wish there was a word or phrase for the instances where Nintendo just fumbles something completely easy. Maybe Fumblendo? I'm taking suggestions.

Anyway, there is no mention of bluetooth headsets, only wired ones so there is HOPE (however little there maybe).
I would go with Fumbdo  (Fum-be-do) Sounds Italian and has 2 Syllables like Nin-ten-do.  Does the Wii U have Bluetooth support in general?  I don't think so.

I wonder what they plan to do with Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Is voice chat limited to 1 person per console even if say 2 other people are playing on the same console against a friend online?
WiiSpeak Gotcha Covered ;P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4566 on: October 18, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
Does the Wii U have Bluetooth support in general?  I don't think so.

Yes it does. The guys from Blue Tooth said that Wii U does support bluetooth, just that they (TB) were using wired controllers.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
Honestly, I don't even play enough online games to care about headsets and whatnot. But I'd really like it if MH3U had voice chat.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:28 PM »
[Not related: I was once in a game with a bunch of guys who were actual career pimps, discussing the nuances and complexities of the pimping business. I was so out of my depth I kept my mouth shut the entire time. It was also interesting to listen in to because it felt educational in a way, like a documentary.]

Using women as sex slaves, what a wonderful career choice!  :-\
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
The main question I have is whether voice chat is implemented at a system level, but is optional for developers to include, or whether each developer has to create the system for it themselves. Basically what I'm saying is, if right now headsets are wired only, would Nintendo be able to issue a system level patch that allowed Bluetooth headsets in all games, or would each game have to be patched to support them. How much room does Nintendo have to improve the implementation?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: October 18, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
Pretty sure Wiimotes use bluetooth technology which is why you can link them with your PC/Mac.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »

Yes it does. The guys from Blue Tooth said that Wii U does support bluetooth, just that they (TB) were using wired controllers.
Let me rephrase.  They could be using just the part of Bluetooth for Communication between Nintendo Devices but do they implement the other standards that are for the headsets and like.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »

Should of just been like Butters and said "Yes, I know what you are saying. You don't have to keep asking"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: October 19, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »
Plot Twist: PDP says their wireless Afterglow headset works on the Wii U (a transmitter plugs into the console's USB port like Sony's wireless stereo headset).

No one knows if it will work with the games announced to have voice chat. I presume it has something to do with drivers and whatnot. I vaguely remember Turtle Beach saying that they're looking into a wireless headset for Wii U, but only the wired NLa and N11 have been announced.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: October 21, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
So I finally got to touch the Wii U! There was a demo station setup at one of the Gamestops. Here's the catch: Somehow, the display TV had its input switched to USB memory stick and the Gamestop employees did not have the remote to switch it back to HDMI. I could only look at the Control pade. So close yet so far!

The pad was suprisingly light (almost too light) but sturdy. The touch screen was responsive and looked decent even under the bright lights.