Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592706 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4525 on: October 16, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: October 17, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: October 17, 2012, 01:51:58 AM »
Read most of it and they focus on how difficult it was to create a wireless gamepad without any latency issues.

But the big take away is that depending on your place, you MAY be able to play it in the bathroom and bedroom.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: October 17, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
Read most of it and they focus on how difficult it was to create a wireless gamepad without any latency issues.

But the big take away is that depending on your place, you MAY be able to play it in the bathroom and bedroom.

My house is ready.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: October 17, 2012, 07:28:44 AM »
It's a pretty big technical achievement Nintendo has pulled off by creating the Gamepad with minimal latency issues. One of the main reasons why a Vita/PS3 combo can never compare to it.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: October 17, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »
Or smart glass for that matter.

There is custom hardware AND software at work here. It's going to be hard to imitate. It's not impossible, but it is going to be damn near with just an app for a cellphone or tablet.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:31:24 AM by Stogi »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: October 17, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
Summary for the lazy?
1. Latency was a challenge from the beginning.
2. All processing is done by the console. Even when you use the camera, it's sent to the Wii U then to the GamePad to be displayed on the screen. The camera was almost cut, but they got it to work. Video from the is 30 frames per second. If you think that's low, it was originally 5 frames per second.
3. Models of the GamePad were made with a 3D printer then fine-tuned by hand.
4. Software for controlling the GamePad was developed at Nintendo Technology Department in the US; the design was done in Japan.
5. There's some talk about how they reduced latency which I don't feel I understand enough to confidently explain. It sounds like compressing/decompressing is traditionally done per frame, but this would cause delays. Instead, the Wii U breaks down that image into smaller pieces which are then compressed/decompressed before being sent to the GamePad.
6. There were latency concerns with how the GamePad is held and who or what is in the way, but they worked it out. A metal TV stand, for example, may affect the radio waves and weaken the signal between the console and GamePad.
7. Some images are more difficult to send wirelessly and display than others like a moving grid. They found this early in development and spent a considerable amount of time making it work.
8. Wireless communication technology in the Wii U was co-developed by Broadcom.
9. The design changes between E3 2011 and E3 2012 were apparently from internal pressure, notably Miyamoto and Iwata himself. No mention of 3rd parties urging changes to the circle pads, for example. The grips were an important addition as the flat original GamePad was apparently uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.
10. Weight was whittled down by the gram.
11. Iwata announced the near field communication capabilities before the team finished the software to make it works. It seemed like they weren't sure NFC was absolutely going to make it in.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: October 17, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
"Vita/PS3 combo can never compare to it"

Depends on what setup you're using, since the WII U/Gamepad combo only works in the same room vs the PS3/Vita which has both options of local or over the net.  For local play the PS3/Vita combo works fine and over the net you're going end up getting a bit of lag depending on how much bandwidth is available. 

For my local connection my PS3 is hooked up to my router by wired ethernet and my Vita was using 802.11N to connect to the router.  Very little lag in terms of ms it's basically double that of a normal wireless contoller (32ms)--you'll have to be GODLike to notice.

The only thing killing "remote play" is Sony themselves--right now only a few selected titles support the feature but hackers (jailbreaking the PS3) have been playing games like Battlefield from day 1.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
Anyone see this yet?
The Australian arm of video game and accessories retailer EB Games lists a Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)-styled controller for the Wii U console. The controller features the classic SNES button layout and D-pad inlaid under the Wii U's modern joysticks.  The controller is available for pre-order for AU$48.00 (about US$49.50). It is slated to ship on November 30. The Wii U console itself launches in North America on November 18.
While it's pretty much the same controller, having the SNES overlay looks pretty awesome to me. The fact that it's the same price as the regular pro controller is even better.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: October 17, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »
And so, the re-seller gouging commences: This from Amazon.ca. Fuckers.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Deluxe - Black - Available Nov. 18, 2012
by Nintendo
Media: Video Game
Platform: Nintendo Wii U
Price at a Glance
New: from CDN$ 599.00
New1-4 of 4 offers
Price + Shipping Condition Seller Information Buying Options
CDN$ 599.00
+ CDN$ 4.99 shipping
New Seller: MII300
Seller Rating: Just Launched (Seller Profile)
In Stock. Ships from ON, Canada.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
or
CDN$ 649.00
+ CDN$ 4.99 shipping
New Seller: toddleggat
International & domestic shipping rates and return policy.
or
CDN$ 895.00
+ CDN$ 4.99 shipping
New Seller: Shalowm Trading Co. Canada
Seller Rating: 100% positive over the past 12 months. (5
total ratings)
Back-ordered. Due in stock November 18 -- order now to reserve yours
Ships from ON, Canada.
FREE UPGRADE TO EXPEDITED SHIPPING (up to 6x faster than Standard
shipping), FREE TRACKING NUMBER, and FREE INSURANCE ($895 c...
or
CDN$ 955.00
+ CDN$ 4.99 shipping
New Seller: MII300

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4535 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
Anyone see this yet?
The Australian arm of video game and accessories retailer EB Games lists a Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)-styled controller for the Wii U console. The controller features the classic SNES button layout and D-pad inlaid under the Wii U's modern joysticks.  The controller is available for pre-order for AU$48.00 (about US$49.50). It is slated to ship on November 30. The Wii U console itself launches in North America on November 18.
While it's pretty much the same controller, having the SNES overlay looks pretty awesome to me. The fact that it's the same price as the regular pro controller is even better.

I should point out that Nintendo Australia already confirmed its not a licensed controller (it's third party)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
On the Canadian Gouging.

The question is will it command those prices.

Amazon here is showing $517 - $1,500 (Well Technically $1,000,000)

I would be very interested in seeing if it those items would be sold at that price.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
@ceric, Assuming retailers sell out of Wii Us, I would not be surprised if the reseller offerings sold for the high prices asked. Folks get desperate around Chistmas time.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: October 17, 2012, 11:50:17 AM »
They should buy a **** ton of stock, watch it tick up a dime from news of it being sold out then sell it immediately. They'd make a lot more.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
They should buy a **** ton of stock, watch it tick up a dime from news of it being sold out then sell it immediately. They'd make a lot more.
I don't think its about just buying more stock. Nintendo probably don't have the supply to satisfy demand on launch date. As we speak they are getting assembled out of the factories at Foxconn and will continue throughout the Wii U's lifetime. I imagine its very costly to setup more factories just for the sake of satisfying launch demand and then shutting down those factories once demand has lowered. It would make more sense to wait and build up a considerable amount of stock enough for the estimated amount of early adopters to buy and then launch the console.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: October 17, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
Anyone see this yet?

Aside from the SNES paint, the overall design is exactly the same as an official Xbox 360 Pro Controller.

I thought third-party controllers weren't allowed to have the exact same design as first-party controllers? Something about customer confusion...

It's why you never see any third-party Xbox or PlayStation controllers with the exact same design as their official counterparts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:00:38 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: October 17, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
I don't think its about just buying more stock. Nintendo probably don't have the supply to satisfy demand on launch date. As we speak they are getting assembled out of the factories at Foxconn and will continue throughout the Wii U's lifetime. I imagine its very costly to setup more factories just for the sake of satisfying launch demand and then shutting down those factories once demand has lowered. It would make more sense to wait and build up a considerable amount of stock enough for the estimated amount of early adopters to buy and then launch the console.

Er...I don't think you understood me. I meant stock as in shares; as in trading shares on the stock market.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: October 17, 2012, 06:23:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure they'd see a higher return on investment by buying and scalping the hardware than playing the stock market.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: October 17, 2012, 06:25:22 PM »
If you were going to use the same amount of money, probably. But the same amount of hours? Hardly.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: October 17, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
Summary for the lazy?
They laugh.

[laugh]

Seriously though, good one. I should've seen that coming.

edit: Thank you, Adrock. Honestly I'm not THAT lazy to have read the article but as Azeke pointed out, there'd be a whole lot of [laughs] in there that would probably start to bore me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:25:31 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: October 17, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
When do you think that Retro City Rampage will appear on Wiiware?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: October 17, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »
Dev said the plan is before the end of the year...

I am ready for them to miss that date, as long as RCR will come eventually -- i'll be there, i've waited too, too, too freaking long for this game not to pick it up now on WiiWare.

PS. what does that have to do with Wii U?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4547 on: October 17, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
Well, you will be able to transfer WiiWare games to the Wii U. And if the 3DS's eShop is any indication, we should be able to download WiiWare games on the Wii U's eShop.

I have to admire the developers of RCR for saying they will release it on WiiWare even though they known they likely will never profit from that version. Maybe it's because the game originally started as a fan-made NES homebrew game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: October 17, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »
Dev said the plan is before the end of the year...

I am ready for them to miss that date, as long as RCR will come eventually -- i'll be there, i've waited too, too, too freaking long for this game not to pick it up now on WiiWare.

PS. what does that have to do with Wii U?

I have seen the game and want it on my Wii. Also, it could be released for the Wii U with Gamepad support eventually. It might come out within the next month. It is also not yet released on XBLA, so I assume that since it is already released on PSN then its rival services will get it soon to compete for sales.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4549 on: October 18, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »
WiiWare should get it before the end of the year, as long as the approval process proceeds smoothly. There was some sort of licensing screwjob with XBLA, so even though that platform was supposed to get it much earlier, it's still not out there. Wii U isn't going to get it anytime soon since the dev doesn't have a devkit.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report