Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592739 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4400 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
The thing is, it makes a whole lot less sense in this case. With the Wii, it took a lot more effort to port games to it since the hardware was so different, but with the Wii U it's easy to port from the 360 and PS3, so they should be a lot less reluctant to do it this time around. The same way most third party games came to the PS3 when it was selling horribly early in its life because it was relatively easy to port from the 360, the Wii U will likely receive most of the same third party support the 360 and PS3 receive. EA may be the exception because of what reportedly went down between the two companies.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 26, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Remember when we all bought Umbrella Chronicles so we would pass the Capcom test and get a real RE game on the Wii?

Then as a reward passing the test, Capcom gave us Darkside Chronicles instead of "The Adventures of Leon in RE4 Style Gameplay".

THE TEST IS RIGGED.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
According to Kotaku, Mass Effect Trilogy is a thing now. The 360 and PC versions will be out in November. The PS3 version (which will include Mass Effect 1, playable on PS3 for the 1st time) doesn't have a date yet. Now it's especially odd that they're even bothering with a Wii U version of just Mass Effect 3.

Yet another thing I long ago predicted would happen, but I never get credit for my uncannily accurate predictions.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »
Maybe the system comes with some unannounced Face Raiders style game.
It doesn't. Unfortunately, there are no pre-downloaded games.

I would hope they would realize that there's no game included. Even it they didn't, the benefit of launching near Christmas is that they're probably going to buy additional games anyway. It's probably more likely for them to buy the Deluxe Set and Nintendo Land separately, not knowing that it's packed in.
Clerks at the stores will encourage the buyers to get games for the system.  If they go to buy the white one, the clerk will ask why they are buying the system with no games and then explain that it doesn't come with a game like the original Wii did.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 26, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »
Then as a reward passing the test, Capcom gave us Darkside Chronicles instead of "The Adventures of Leon in RE4 Style Gameplay".

THE TEST IS RIGGED.

And the game was ****ing awesome anyway so you can shut the hell up.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

THE TEST IS RIGGED.

And the game was ****ing awesome anyway so you can shut the hell up.   ;)
I loved Darkside Chronicles.  I'm tempted to pick it up again for the PS3. :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 26, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »
According to Kotaku, Mass Effect Trilogy is a thing now. The 360 and PC versions will be out in November. The PS3 version (which will include Mass Effect 1, playable on PS3 for the 1st time) doesn't have a date yet. Now it's especially odd that they're even bothering with a Wii U version of just Mass Effect 3.

Yet another thing I long ago predicted would happen, but I never get credit for my uncannily accurate predictions.

You predicted that ME Trilogy would happen? or that EA would find a way to undermine a major Wii U release? What exactly did you predict?, when and where? linkage please ;)

as far as ME Trilogy being a thing, I remember it coming up from that rumor of issues between EA & Nintendo about a month and a half ago.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg749188#msg749188
Quote from: 8-4-2012
As an reward, EA received development kits even before Ubisoft, Valve or Tecmo Koei. Many of EA's studios were interested, especially Bioware who have been wanting to put their own games on a Nintendo system for ages and finally had the technical ability to do it with a Mass Effect Trilogy port and Dragon Age 3 on slate for the system.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wii U eShop very promising.
« Reply #4407 on: September 27, 2012, 02:29:45 AM »

Trine 2 developer say's the new Eshop is promising.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/42266/wii-u-eshop-is-very-promising-say-trine-2-developers/

This is all you need below.

"Nintendo is taking online very seriously with Wii U," Hyvärinen told us. "Everything we have seen and heard about the Wii U eShop sounds very promising."

"Our hopes as developers are quite simple: inexpensive updating and easy certification process. That's really it. If the Wii U eShop can deliver either one of these, or even both, then we will be very happy!"
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 27, 2012, 09:55:49 AM »
as far as ME Trilogy being a thing, I remember it coming up from that rumor of issues between EA & Nintendo about a month and a half ago.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg749188#msg749188
As an reward, EA received development kits even before Ubisoft, Valve or Tecmo Koei. Many of EA's studios were interested, especially Bioware who have been wanting to put their own games on a Nintendo system for ages and finally had the technical ability to do it with a Mass Effect Trilogy port and Dragon Age 3 on slate for the system.

So this confirms a Wii U port of Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect Trilogy?

How can EA port Mass Effect 1 to the PS3 if Microsoft owns the publishing rights? (It was published by Microsoft before the BioWare buyout)
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 27, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

So this confirms a Wii U port of Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect Trilogy?

How can EA port Mass Effect 1 to the PS3 if Microsoft owns the publishing rights? (It was published by Microsoft before the BioWare buyout)

Do you ever actually read anything? or do you just like to ask questions repeated even though I believe someone already answered it for you? maybe you are just waiting to hear it from a specific person...

1) Publishing rights for ME1 must have expired already as PS3 is getting the ME Trilogy too.

2) The above rumor, if you read the entire thing and not just the portion I quoted for you, states that they had planned both ME Trilogy & Dragon Age for the Wii U as a sort of signing bonus for going with Origin for the Wii U online experience. Nintendo declined to be under EA's thumb when it came to online, but graciously thanked and paid them for their input into the creating the Nintendo Online Network. EA was butt hurt, and now it seems that all that support they promoted at E3 2011 is not going to come so easily, as many predicted EA would flounder on such support to begin with.
First example of this petty grudge may be ME3 getting Capcom'd (see RE4 on GC).

But there is an off chance that Mass Effect Trilogy IS the game coming to Wii U at launch, and that is the game they had planned all along. It might not have been shown off that way since publishing contract was still in effect and then they effectively get to reveal the game for Wii U twice and build the hype for release. (this is the only thing that would make sense).
The reason for the motion comic's existence would be explained away by the hope that people buying it for Wii U may have already played the first 2 games, but have no way of transferring over their saved games. Motion comic allows them to start off on the third game with similar status as they may have left off after the ME2.
we can only hope...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: September 27, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
Yeah it's way too late for the ME Trilogy to make the Wii U launch. EA would have announced it by now.

EA could port the trilogy over at a later date, but that would make their Mass Effect 3 contribution pointless.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: September 27, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »
Yeah it's way too late for the ME Trilogy to make the Wii U launch. EA would have announced it by now.

EA could port the trilogy over at a later date, but that would make their Mass Effect 3 contribution pointless.

Their "Mass Effect 3 contribution" was pointless from the moment they announced it.  If you cared about that franchise, 99.9% of you already bought it on another platform. This game would have failed regardless of the Trilogy announcement.  There was just simply no reason to ever buy it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: September 27, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
edit: directed @ Tendoboy

Unless you read the part where I said that ME3 may have been the game they were planning all along.... (as in what if there is no stand-alone ME3 for Wii U and the game they have been showing this entire time was the trilogy?)

it's doubtful, but that makes much more sense than purposely kneecapping their own release as it seems they are doing right now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: September 27, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »

Unless you read the part where I said that ME3 may have been the game they were planning all along.... (as in what if there is no stand-alone ME3 for Wii U and the game they have been showing this entire time was the trilogy?)

it's doubtful, but that makes much more sense than purposely kneecapping their own release as it seems they are doing right now.
So we're pretty much counting on Nintendo to Botch the Announcement times as they have the whole Wii U Pre-Release Stage?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »

If that was true, then they would have announced it by now. EA had the Trilogy planned out months in advance, so you'd think they'd include the Wii U in its announcement if it were true.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

"1) Publishing rights for ME1 must have expired already as PS3 is getting the ME Trilogy too." 

Yes and No.  MS has rights to the physical sales of the game, hense the PS3 is getting ME 1 through PSN.  Nice little loop hole :0.
-----------------------------
NM, sounds like it is included in the Trilogy pack and is being sold as a standalone PSN title for those PS3 fans that already own ME2 and 3.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:59:20 AM by ymeegod »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: September 27, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

"1) Publishing rights for ME1 must have expired already as PS3 is getting the ME Trilogy too." 

Yes and No.  MS has rights to the physical sales of the game, hense the PS3 is getting ME 1 through PSN.  Nice little loop hole :0.
-----------------------------
NM, sounds like it is included in the Trilogy pack and is being sold as a standalone PSN title for those PS3 fans that already own ME2 and 3.

The reports I've seen seem to indicate that an actual Trilogy set is coming at some point for PS3, though. Maybe it'll just be ME2 and 3 on a disc w/ ME1 as a voucher, but I hope not.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
Their "Mass Effect 3 contribution" was pointless from the moment they announced it.  If you cared about that franchise, 99.9% of you already bought it on another platform. This game would have failed regardless of the Trilogy announcement.  There was just simply no reason to ever buy it.

Its geared towards those who only owned a Wii this generation and aren't informed enough to know that the Trilogy is on its way. It is pure profit in EA's pocket because it took a very minimal effort for them to port it over. Sales don't have to be good for them to turn a profit on that. And considering it is a launch title that's going to give it a boost simply for showing up.

It will probably sell one or two hundred thousand copies. That's my prediction. You will probably be shocked how well it sells, because you are basing your belief that it won't sell on consumers being informed, and I think you are underestimating just how ignorant people can be. EA is preying off this ignorance and going to profit from it. There are literally millions of people out there who owned a Wii but not a PS360 this last generation. These people have never heard of Mass Effect, so when they move over to the Wii U and see this game available they might want to check it out.

And like I said, because its a launch title its going to see a boost just because it showed up for attendance. Mark my words its going to sell. I was right about the trilogy thing happening, so here is another prediction. In a few months let's see what the sales and see if I'm right about this too.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:23:23 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
I would surely hope the 3 in the title would indicate that "Hey, there are games before this one"
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: September 27, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
It will probably sell one or two hundred thousand copies. That's my prediction. You will probably be shocked how well it sells, because you are basing your belief that it won't sell on consumers being informed, and I think you are underestimating just how ignorant people can be. EA is preying off this ignorance and going to profit from it. There are literally millions of people out there who owned a Wii but not a PS360 this last generation. These people have never heard of Mass Effect, so when they move over to the Wii U and see this game available they might want to check it out.

You don't need to convince me that a large portion of people out there buying consoles are uninformed and borderline stupid.  Something has to account for all those Wiis sold, after all.   ;) (yes, that was a joke based on commonly-traded stereotypes. Shut up.)

The thing is, the very people you say are uninformed also don't care about Mass Effect or games like it, which is one of the reasons why I think the Wii U will be at best a modest success (and will probably need a substantial price cut to accomplish that) rather than the hardware sales juggernaut the Wii was.  The "uninformed" have their Just Dances or New Super Mario Bros. retreads, and they seem content with that.  There has just been no evidence of growth within that market beyond those "safe" titles.  So ME3 sells 100,000 copies at launch, and then they don't buy anything else EA/Bioware puts out.  Yeah, that was worth it, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:08:53 PM by broodwars »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »
I would surely hope the 3 in the title would indicate that "Hey, there are games before this one"

True, but very few games are so intertwined the way the Mass Effect games are. Like, take Black Ops 2 which has the two which obviously means there was a Black Ops 1 before that, but someone completely new to the franchise could buy BO2 as their starting point and it won't be a big deal. There is some connection with BO1, but it isn't really essential to have played the first one first. Most games are like that, and someone who doesn't know any better could easily just assume ME3 would be a fine starting out point. They won't know any better until after they've bought it, but at that point EA will have already taken their money so why should EA care? You can't get a refund on opened games. A sale is a sale whether the customer is satisfied with it or not.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: September 27, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »

True, but very few games are so intertwined the way the Mass Effect games are. Like, take Black Ops 2 which has the two which obviously means there was a Black Ops 1 before that, but someone completely new to the franchise could buy BO2 as their starting point and it won't be a big deal. There is some connection with BO1, but it isn't really essential to have played the first one first. Most games are like that, and someone who doesn't know any better could easily just assume ME3 would be a fine starting out point. They won't know any better until after they've bought it, but at that point EA will have already taken their money so why should EA care? You can't get a refund on opened games. A sale is a sale whether the customer is satisfied with it or not.
I find most people in general who aren't gamers will ask immediately to someone they think is informed whether the should really play/watch/read the others.  Which you don't have to be very informed to know that answer is yes when it comes to Mass Effect.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
Which you don't have to be very informed to know that answer is yes when it comes to Mass Effect.

But that recommendation will also come with the qualifier: "But you really have to play the first two Mass Effects first."  I don't think anyone who has played the Mass Effect games would recommend anyone start anywhere other than the beginning of the story.

Then comes the question: "Well, are those games on my Wii U?"
The response: "No. They're on other systems."
And finally: "OK, nevermind. What else do you have?"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: September 27, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »

If that was true, then they would have announced it by now. EA had the Trilogy planned out months in advance, so you'd think they'd include the Wii U in its announcement if it were true.

Could be waiting on the next wave of announcements at Nintendo's request....
("It might not have been shown off that way since publishing contract was still in effect and then they effectively get to reveal the game for Wii U twice and build the hype for release.")
but that is just based on the whole "what if" scenario.

I'm just really hoping that EA wouldn't effectively sabotage their own efforts over some petty denial of their service when it's obvious that if Nintendo had taken such a deal, it would have only been in EA's favor (assuming that rumor is true). I can't blame EA for trying, and it was a good play and a solid effort, but if that is the truth, then they just need to get over it and push to make the Origin portal the most heavily used of the service.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »
I don't think the Trilogy is going to sell especially well on any platform, but I imagine it would do the best on Wii U, at least proportionally to the install base, because the series has never been on a Nintendo platform before. People who wanted to play it on 360 and PC already did, and I wouldn't be surprised if picking up copies of the individual games on PS3 were cheaper than the Trilogy; 2 and 3 are already sub-$20 on Amazon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent