Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592781 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4250 on: September 18, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
Sigh, I guess I wasn't clear enough---for all those worried about audio here's the deal.

The Wii U has two outputs, one HDMI and one AV-multiport.  The AV-multiport cable isn't bundled with the WII U nor is it sold seperate becaues it's the same port as the Wii so the same cables apply.

Why aren't the AV cables being sold separately? Then the console will be useless to people without HDTVs.
Pretty sure he's incorrect about that.  They will be sold separately, just like they have throughout the Wii's lifespan.  They may only be available directly through Nintendo though.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »
The multiport AV on the WII U is the same port as the existing WII meaning your WII AV cables already work.  It's not freaking rocket science guys. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: September 18, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
I think the composite cable could be in stores since that's the one people will need if they don't have an HD television set. The component cable will probably be only in Nintendo's store, since it isn't as common as composite on non-HD sets and I don't know if there are HDTVs that don't have HDMI.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: September 18, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
There are, but they are old and severely obsolete.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Monolith Soft News! Maybe...
« Reply #4254 on: September 18, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
Monolith Soft, Xenoblade's developer, say's to look out for TGS!

https://twitter.com/MONOLITHSOFT/status/247976129703600128

They don't specifically say they will show something, but hey Iwata recently said they are working on something and normally we are just expected to assume as such. Here is hoping the Tokyo Game Show delivers!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: September 18, 2012, 10:41:50 PM »
Isn't Monolith Soft working on that super crossover game for 3DS or something?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4256 on: September 18, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »
It would be absolutely spectacular if it was a new Chrono Trigger - developed in conjuction with Square-Enix. Even more thrilling if they brought Mitsuda back in to do the music, too (he did help with Xenoblade's score).

I'd wet my pants.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: September 18, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
Another Baten Kaitos? I wish.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:04 AM »
Damn, when is TGS?  TGS is looking to be a big deal now for rpg lovers.  We'll finally get a look at DQX on the WiiU there and now we might get a look at Monolith Soft's WiiU release.  The internet will be set ablaze lol. 
IMO though, I don't expect much of this.  I'd say it'll be a release of info on the 3ds project, maybe a trailer or a teaser.  If we're lucky we'll get a teaser of their WiiU project but that's wishfull thinking on my part.  Eitherway, I can't wait to see what this is all about.   

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
This is a perfect opportunity for a Let Me Google That For You link, but I'll be nice. The Tokyo Game Show actually starts tomorrow and ends on September 23.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4260 on: September 19, 2012, 01:48:37 AM »
supposedly it's going on right now. Sony just revealed the PS3 Slimmer for about the same price as a Wii U and launching soon.

Uncharted Bundle on Sept. 25th

Black 250GB-500GB  - Oct. 4th

White 250GB - Nov 22nd

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:54:53 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: September 19, 2012, 01:59:58 AM »
Why is the black one always bigger? Sorry couldn't help myself.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: September 19, 2012, 02:30:45 AM »
Oh no,we got to change Blackbnmild to Bigblacknmild! ;)
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: September 19, 2012, 03:17:43 AM »
There are, but they are old and severely obsolete.

Yep. My neighbor has a roughly 10 year old TV which doesn't have HDMI and it is really fat and bulky and heavy, but yet somehow it is HD. He paid a small fortune for it way back when he got it.
is your sanity...

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
This is a perfect opportunity for a Let Me Google That For You link, but I'll be nice. The Tokyo Game Show actually starts tomorrow and ends on September 23.

I actually got a good laugh with that line lol.  I forget when I'm chatting on these forums that I can always answer my own questions with a simple google search.  I think its becuase I almost see these chats as a conversation and just throw out questions without thinking about them expecting an answer withing minutes lol. 

Anyways, given that the show has started today, we should catch wind of some DQX info sooner or later.  Hopefully I'll be blessed with a fresh trailer on the NWR home page come tonight when I get home from work. 

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: September 19, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
Read the 1up interview today. The fact that none of nintendo's own announced first party titles don't use nintendo network for anything other than miiverse is sad. That coupled with the fact that hAdra dosnt know everything about the wiiU and this late int he game devs are apparentlyjust getting access to the dashboard and some don't even know what the. Wii u online system is has me discouraged.

Its sad that the only reason I'm excited about Tvii is because its being done by a third party with a nintendo UI on top of it.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4266 on: September 19, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »
Read the 1up interview today. The fact that none of nintendo's own announced first party titles don't use nintendo network for anything other than miiverse is sad. That coupled with the fact that hAdra dosnt know everything about the wiiU and this late int he game devs are apparentlyjust getting access to the dashboard and some don't even know what the. Wii u online system is has me discouraged.

Its sad that the only reason I'm excited about Tvii is because its being done by a third party with a nintendo UI on top of it.

You do know that only 4 first party (meaning they own it) Wii U games have even been announced? And one won't come out til at least 2014 (SSB4). And they haven't said that Miiverse is the only part of Nintendo Network they will use. Developers had a rough idea of the dashboard, Nintendo was just making minor tweaks til now (which is common for hardware). As for developers and online, the only person I have heard expressing any concerns was the Tekken guy, who doesn't seem to really know much about this type of stuff. Other developers with online Wii U games don't have any problem with it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
Kotaku has a pretty scathing opinion piece on the Wii U Pro Controller, titled I Hate the Wii U Pro Controller.

Yikes! I hope this is a case of different strokes for different folks and I end up loving the controller because I was banking on the Pro Controller being what I use in the new Smash Bros.

Rumble is confirmed! However, according to the article, it's pretty weak. Maybe they used an older version of the controller and the final retail controller will be better.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: September 20, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »
Kotaku has a pretty scathing opinion piece on the Wii U Pro Controller, titled I Hate the Wii U Pro Controller.

Yikes! I hope this is a case of different strokes for different folks and I end up loving the controller because I was banking on the Pro Controller being what I use in the new Smash Bros.

Rumble is confirmed! However, according to the article, it's pretty weak. Maybe they used an older version of the controller and the final retail controller will be better.
Ugh, that article is such click-bait. Terrible. The title is deliberately inflammatory.
Could have been boiled down to one sentence: "It feels too light to me, the rumble feels weak and I wish the buttons wer clicky." Done. don't waste your time clicking through to the article.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: September 20, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
You can shorten any article to one sentence. That's what makes it a summary.

I agree it was click bait though. I mostly posted the link because it was the first time I saw rumble definitively confirmed.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
@adrock, I agree with you and meant to say that I was glad rumble was confirmed. So, thanks!
Sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing you for posting it. I meant to just criticize the article
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
F me hard, DQX was finally shown and shame on the few of us who actually thought it'll look like the damn cg intro videos.  We should've known better.  The game basically looks like the Wii version just in HD and with some better textures it seems.  I can't be sure until we get direct feed footage and some comparison shots but thats all I'm getting from this video.  Here's the link to the demonstration.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/20/dragon-quest-x-wii-u-gameplay-demonstration

Now, I'm not saying it looks bad, far from it.  I actually like the look and think its very cleen and smooth but I'm sad they didn't do more with the WiiU build.  Given that its supposed to have cross platform play between the Wii and WiiU I guess they couldn't rock the boat with significant changes.  Either way, I'll still be down to pick this up if it gets localized and doesn't carry a monthly fee to play. 
EDIT:  I forgot to mention, the video confirms off TV play which really took my interest up a notch.  To be able to play an rpg/mmo whenever I want and wherever I want (in bed on the cold winter nights lol) is going to be great.  Nothing will stand between my and my grind now lol.  I hope more rpgs and games in general provide this function. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:29:04 PM by Mannypon »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: September 20, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »
If Nintendo were to ever create an online account system would it be possible to take the Wii U Gamepad outside the house on the go and link up to wi-fi hotspots and have games stream to the tablet controller? Another question: how bright is the Gampad's screen? Could someone create a custom backlight simialr to that of the original GBA?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4273 on: September 20, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
How would it work at a wi-fi hotspot? The Wii U GamePad doesn't process any information, it just recieves it. So unless the Wi-fi hotspot has a Wii U and you sync your controller to it, it won't work. Same way with streaming. The Wii U console handles all of the actual data, not the GamePad. So taking the GamePad to a wi-fi hotspot or anywhere without a Wii U system, it would be like taking the batteries out of your 3DS and expecting it to work.

As for the brightness, the videos at E3 showed the screen being very bright.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
How would it work at a wi-fi hotspot? The Wii U GamePad doesn't process any information, it just recieves it. So unless the Wi-fi hotspot has a Wii U and you sync your controller to it, it won't work. Same way with streaming. The Wii U console handles all of the actual data, not the GamePad. So taking the GamePad to a wi-fi hotspot or anywhere without a Wii U system, it would be like taking the batteries out of your 3DS and expecting it to work.

As for the brightness, the videos at E3 showed the screen being very bright.

I was just looking for an excuse to take my Gamepad out like a normal handheld.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.