Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592766 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4225 on: September 16, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
I stand corrected, sir. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
HDMI does both video and audio, I believe.
I know that, but I need audio to be separable so that I can connect it to my stereo.

Run The audio From Your TV to your stereo. Problem Solved.
As I explained earlier in the thread, my TV doesn't have an audio out jack.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
I know that, but I need audio to be separable so that I can connect it to my stereo.

Run The audio From Your TV to your stereo. Problem Solved.
As I explained earlier in the thread, my TV doesn't have an audio out jack.

have you bought a DVD player yet?

that was a completely unrelated question, but I was just curious

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: September 17, 2012, 01:14:31 AM »
According to specs, Nintendo's using six-channel (5.1) LPCM and al/coaxial PCM is limited to 2 channels anyhow so unless nintendo states it's supported DD or DTS then you only choices are 5.1 LPCM though HDMI or PLII though the wii u multiport.

LPCM is uncompressed and has a high bit rate.   Hope that helps settle the matter.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:22 AM »
Does anyone think that a Gamecube Virtual Console will be under utilized like the N64 or will it get quality support?
Weren't N64 titles on wii vc improved? Better fps/widescreen support?
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:46 AM »
The GameCube is actually older now than the N64 was when the Wii launched,

They are actually roughly about the same. 1996-2006 versus 2001-2012. Okay, well a one year difference...
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
I posted this in a Talkback thread, but this one gets a lot of traffic do I'll post it here too:

I wasn't sure where to mention this, but Kotaku has an interview up with Reggie. The most notable thing to me was that you can watch Netflix and Nintendo TVii on the GamePad, but NOT while playing a game. I presume the reverse is true as well and you can play a game on the GamePad, but cannot watch Netflix through the Wii U at the same time.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
I posted this in a Talkback thread, but this one gets a lot of traffic do I'll post it here too:

I wasn't sure where to mention this, but Kotaku has an interview up with Reggie. The most notable thing to me was that you can watch Netflix and Nintendo TVii on the GamePad, but NOT while playing a game. I presume the reverse is true as well and you can play a game on the GamePad, but cannot watch Netflix through the Wii U at the same time.

Sony and Microsoft will try to make their own tablet controllers avoid this to have some kind of leverage over the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Well of course you can't do that, that would be extremely taxing on the console. The GamePad is just a controller and a screen, essentially. All of the work is being done by the console.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: September 17, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »
The Wii U seems to be able to do a lot of things in the background. It would have been neat if it could handle Netflix at the same time as gameplay even if I'd probably never use it that way myself.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: September 17, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
While I understand from a technological perspective why it isn't possible, I imagine the less tech-savy general public is not going to like it.  The idea of still being able to play a game while someone else in the house is using Netflix is part of the appeal.  I know Nintendo meant that the TV can still be used for non-Wii U things but I think one would regard using the Wii U to do something unrelated to games as essentially the same thing as using the TV to watch a DVD or watch TV.  They whole selling point is to free the TV up and non-techy people will think that means ANYTHING.  There will be more than guy who gets **** from his wife because they both assumed she could use the Wii U for Netflix while he was gaming.

Netflix is popular enough that in some households the "free the TV up" feature is going to be a questionable value because the reason to free the TV up is so that someone can use Netflix.  I can't think of anyway Nintendo could have handled this but I don't think it will go over well.

This actually is why I'm not so interested in Nintendo systems having widespread appeal.  I'm not married but I really just want a wife who will tolerate gaming.  I don't necessarily want one that I have to compete with for videogame console time.  Throw in non-gaming functions and suddenly "your" videogame system is hijacked by others and not to play videogames with.  It would be like if my guitar also somehow was an oven and I would have to time guitar playing around dinner preperation.  Lame.  I can deal with relegating a videogame system to the TV in the basement but to be prohibited from playing games because someone else is using it for Netflix?  That sucks!  Why would I want that?  "Fighting for the TV" is like a 1950's problem and now we have "fight for the videogame system" as a way to combat that?  Yeah, that makes lots of sense.  By including non-gaming functions, Nintendo is effectively undoing the usefulness of the "free the TV" feature.  It has no value if the family is fighting for the Wii U.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
All the more reason to keep my Wii hooked up to the main TV.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: September 17, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
I was going to say, I could just watch Netflix on another console while playing games on the GamePad. That's not a solution for people without another console, but for pretty much everyone here it works.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: September 17, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
I know that, but I need audio to be separate so that I can connect it to my stereo.
You should be able to do this.  The PS3 and the 360 both have options for this. 

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: September 17, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
I was going to say, I could just watch Netflix on another console while playing games on the GamePad. That's not a solution for people without another console, but for pretty much everyone here it works.
The thing about it is, this is only a problem for people who only have Netflix and only a Wii U to watch it.  This will be a problem for about .0001% of the Wii U population.  It's not worth the trouble.  People who already have netflix can watch it elsewhere.  People who are buying a Wii U just for netflix should be looking at a Roku instead.  Or spend the extra $50 to get the Roku for when one person wants to game while another wants to watch Netflix.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: September 17, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
There are various solutions to this, namely the fact that Netlix is on almost every media device these days. This is only an issue for Nintendo if their goal to keep families together and engaged in a single room together. The inability to multitask in this manner is a barrier to that goal. I don't think it's going to make or break the console, but Nintendo did spend a tremendous amount of time pushing this idea of "Together. Better." and this betrays that ideal in a major way.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Or spend the extra $50 to get the Roku for when one person wants to game while another wants to watch Netflix.

Or watch one Netflix on the TV screen while watching A DIFFERENT NETFLIX on the Wii U!!!!

*mind blown*
*MIND VERY BLOWN*
WII+WIIU SYNERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
I have a PS2 if that counts, but I have no use for a DVD player. I have an HDTY, which is why I'm concerned about HDMI's lack of separate audio cables.

I know that, but I need audio to be separate so that I can connect it to my stereo.
Ah, that's good to know. Hopefully the Wii U will follow suit as well.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
Calm down Kairon, good heavens! What movie are you watching simultaneously? Bring It On: In It to Win It?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: September 17, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
I hope the newly announced Dragon Age 3 will come to the Wii U.

Calm down Kairon, good heavens! What movie are you watching simultaneously? Bring It On: In It to Win It?

Anything Jane Austen. ANYTHING.

... or alternatively, Downton Abbey on the big screen and Upstairs Downstairs on the GamePad. SO GOOD!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:29:48 PM by Kairon »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »
I have a PS2 if that counts, but I have no use for a DVD player. I have an HDTY, which is why I'm concerned about HDMI's lack of separate audio cables.

Also a lot of TVs have and audio out just fro that case.  I would check for that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: September 17, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
Sigh, I guess I wasn't clear enough---for all those worried about audio here's the deal.

The WII U has two outputs, one HDMI and one AV-multiport.  The AV-multiport cable isn't bundled with the WII U nor is it sold seperate becaues it's the same port as the WII so the same cables apply.

If you reciever doesn't have an HDMI (1.1) then you're not going get 5.1 PCM--period.  Opitcal only can carry up to 2 channels using PCM (like the PS3 is capable of).

---------------------------------
To note:  Nintendo hasn't confirmed PLII support but the PL II logo is clearly visable on NSMBWII U back case and a few third party titles are running PLII as well like Assassign's Creed 3.   

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:49:35 PM by ymeegod »

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: September 18, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Or spend the extra $50 to get the Roku for when one person wants to game while another wants to watch Netflix.

Or watch one Netflix on the TV screen while watching A DIFFERENT NETFLIX on the Wii U!!!!

*mind blown*
*MIND VERY BLOWN*
WII+WIIU SYNERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Or watch Netflix on a Blu-ray player or Apple TV.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
Sigh, I guess I wasn't clear enough---for all those worried about audio here's the deal.

The Wii U has two outputs, one HDMI and one AV-multiport.  The AV-multiport cable isn't bundled with the WII U nor is it sold seperate becaues it's the same port as the Wii so the same cables apply.

Why aren't the AV cables being sold separately? Then the console will be useless to people without HDTVs.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »

Also a lot of TVs have and audio out just fro that case.  I would check for that.
She states that it doesn't earlier in the thread.