Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592711 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4175 on: September 15, 2012, 01:28:15 AM »
Probably will end up with the basic looking at the pre=orders and that's if that is around.

I can't help but get annoyed at the lack of consistensty of the nintendo network logo on Wii U game boxes. Don't know why but it annoys me. That and the nintendo network logo should be above in the blue header next to Wii 7 and not obsucing a portion of the art.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: September 15, 2012, 01:40:48 AM »
That's right Mass Effect 3 does have online multiplayer. Co-op right and not competitive?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:49:47 AM by NeoStar9X »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: September 15, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »
I have an HD TV so this doesn't apply to me. But are composite cables also in the package? If not imagine the problems that will arise for SD TV users.
No, HDMI only.

Which is funny cause it's the other way around for xbox and ps -- they only have composites in the box.

So what's everyone thinking of picking up with the console. I'm grabbing

Wii U deluxe
New Super Mario bros U
ZombiU
Darksiders II
My order:

Too bad i will have to check Pikmin 3 off the order because it won't arrive at launch...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4178 on: September 15, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »
Um, Xbox 360 comes with a HDMI cable. PlayStation 3 doesn't though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: September 15, 2012, 02:12:45 AM »
Um, Xbox 360 comes with a HDMI cable.
Mine 250Gb xbox sure didn't. I just went to check just in case i will find an additional hdmi cable there.

Nope. No hdmi.

They said composite and other video cable for wii will work for wii u as well, so if you have them you're good.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
I have an HD TV so this doesn't apply to me. But are composite cables also in the package? If not imagine the problems that will arise for SD TV users.
No, HDMI only.

Which is funny cause it's the other way around for xbox and ps -- they only have composites in the box.

So what's everyone thinking of picking up with the console. I'm grabbing

Wii U deluxe
New Super Mario bros U
ZombiU
Darksiders II
My order:

Too bad i will have to check Pikmin 3 off the order because it won't arrive at launch...

So exactly how rich or insane are you? If it's a combination of both i'm sure you have awesome stories to share!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4181 on: September 15, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »
Um, Xbox 360 comes with a HDMI cable.
Mine 250Gb xbox sure didn't. I just went to check just in case i will find an additional hdmi cable there.

Nope. No hdmi.

They said composite and other video cable for wii will work for wii u as well, so if you have them you're good.

You were unlucky. Mine did (I got mine shortly after the slim model came out), and so do the Kinect 4GB ones.

Azeke, did you really just spend $914 on Wii U?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:32:38 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: September 15, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »
How different is the picture quality of HDMI over component? Is is really that noticeable for most people?

Nope.
Possibly right, but most likely wrong.  My guess is that the component cables will be only able to output 480p at most.  HDMI will go up to 1080p on the Wii.

Component cables can carry a 1080p signal.
It can but I'm going on what most bluray players and the PS3 did with component cables.  They are nerfed to only allow up to a 480p signal.  It's meant as an antipiracy measure.  It's why I said possibly right.  They can carry a 1080p signal, but we don't know if Nintendo will allow that, nor do we know if the Wii component cables were ever meant to be able to carry a 1080p signal.  They were designed for a Wii with a 480p max signal.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:17:02 AM by Louieturkey »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: September 15, 2012, 03:19:33 AM »
Wii U Press site!

Username: wiiu
Pass: nintendo

http://press.nintendo.com/wiiu

Super high quality images of everything! Aliens box art looks amazing! As does the Wii U microphone!
http://i.minus.com/ib271dp4uOliWw.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iwmDOaqoEtjXe.jpg

http://i.minus.com/irmdweMvoD2mL.jpg

Notice anything? Oh yeah! Lots and lots of special additions!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:29:19 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: September 15, 2012, 06:39:27 AM »
You were unlucky. Mine did (I got mine shortly after the slim model came out), and so do the Kinect 4GB ones.
Hmm. Okay, it's probably different in PAL regions.

Azeke, did you really just spend $914 on Wii U?
So exactly how rich or insane are you? If it's a combination of both i'm sure you have awesome stories to share!
Nope. It's a pre-order. They don't actually take money until it's shipped.
Also it's not even all of the order -- i also have some comics and two 3ds games in it (paper mario and luigi mansion).

Usually i do orders like these on amazon monthly after i get my paycheck. It's not even my biggest one.

I could pay it off right now if i wanted it, though.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: September 15, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
You crazy crazy man.

The high res box art looks good. My favorite being scribblenauts. Still dislike the lack of consistency. Wish someone would ask nintendo about this.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: September 15, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
So I've seen in multiple places (and Reggie said it in the press conference) that the Wii U will support nearly all Wii software and accessories.  I wonder what the exceptions are...
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4187 on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
Guitar Hero/Rock Band and instruments? Maybe?
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: September 15, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
I can't remember any specific examples, but weren't there games/accessories that depended on the GameCube ports?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »
Amazon finally at least has a Wii U product page but it's listed as 'currently unavailable'.  Progress...

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Black-Deluxe-U/dp/B009AGXH64/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1347719194&sr=1-2

Edit: I love how on the list of software available at launch NSMBU is listed as 'New Super Mario Bros. Mii'.  Amazon's clearly putting a lot of effort into this.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:31:48 AM by Disco Stu »
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4190 on: September 15, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
Some of the dance pads used the GCN ports, so they're right out.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: September 15, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
Some of the dance pads used the GCN ports, so they're right out.

Nintendo could release a USB adapter that plugs into the USB port of the Wii U an emulates the Gamecube port for accessories on VC titles.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: September 15, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
So it seems GameStop, and a few other major retailers have sod out of the delux package and running low on the basic. If Wii U can pull constant sold out numbers for 6 months to a year that would be awesome for 3rd party confidence. If it was sold out for 2 years straight I would think Nintendo struck gold again.

RomanceDawn

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: September 15, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
And hopefully Developers take advantge of this. The Japanese dev community in particular would have been a lot more healthy if they would have rallied around the wii like the did with the ds/psp.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: September 15, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
So it seems GameStop, and a few other major retailers have sod out of the delux package and running low on the basic. If Wii U can pull constant sold out numbers for 6 months to a year that would be awesome for 3rd party confidence. If it was sold out for 2 years straight I would think Nintendo struck gold again.

Yeah....I didn't expect them to stop pre-orders so quickly.  Looks like i'll be standing in Wal-Mart around midnight waiting for them to open a box of them to make sure I get a Deluxe edition.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: September 15, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »

Yeah....I didn't expect them to stop pre-orders so quickly.  Looks like i'll be standing in Wal-Mart around midnight waiting for them to open a box of them to make sure I get a Deluxe edition.

I hope this means that they have a HUGE supply of (black) systems in production and that Pre-Orders are just really really high, and not that they only planned for a limited launch and pre-orders have already exhausted that limited supply.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: September 15, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
How different is the picture quality of HDMI over component? Is is really that noticeable for most people?

Nope.
Possibly right, but most likely wrong.  My guess is that the component cables will be only able to output 480p at most.  HDMI will go up to 1080p on the Wii.

It can but I'm going on what most bluray players and the PS3 did with component cables.  They are nerfed to only allow up to a 480p signal.  It's meant as an antipiracy measure.  It's why I said possibly right.  They can carry a 1080p signal, but we don't know if Nintendo will allow that, nor do we know if the Wii component cables were ever meant to be able to carry a 1080p signal.  They were designed for a Wii with a 480p max signal.

I have my PS3 using component cables, and I'm getting 720p.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
So no more preorders from now until the system launch? Lame.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: September 15, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

Nope.

I have my PS3 using component cables, and I'm getting 720p.
I know for a fact that the PS3 will output games on Component to 1080i. DVD/BluRay is hit or miss.

On the accessories.  Anything requiring GCN parts and Anything that involves the Wii Form Factor (Think Stands, Skins, Etc.).  I'm fairly sure the power brick will be different.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:47 PM »
USB-storage space confirmed, not sure what file system but they did state it was hooked up to an 3TB external USB HD :).  So I'm most likely going get up getting the White edition since I already have an external drive and I don't need(want) Nintendoland.

Also confirmed the first title to use dual Gamepads (Orochi Musou 2 Hyper ) hense why the Japanese is getting the seperate purchasing option for the Gamepads.  The game won't hit the US this year, so sometime next year I'm guessing you'll be able to purchase a second Gamepad.

And lastly, no title is using NFC :(.  I can understand Skylanders (because the figure stays on the device) but Rayman isn't anymore even though it was shown at e3.