Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592826 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3900 on: August 25, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
You are so wrong it's hilarious. Look at any behind-the-scenes featurette of Pixar or Dreamworks film.

And no, they don't just scan drawings into a computer. Look at almost any "traditional" cartoon. Spongebob, My Little Pony, Adventure Time, etc. are not done the way you said.

Animation still is an art form, even more so. Stop acting like a hipster, please.

Many hand-drawn cartoons are done the way I said. The drawings are done by hand, then scanned into a computer to be digitally inked and painted. The last few seasons of SpongeBob and Fairly Oddparents have been done this way. Creating hand-drawn animation with the help of digital painting is much more efficient than the old way of painting the drawings onto cels and copying them onto hand-painted backgrounds.

My Little Pony and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends are animated in Flash, which is completely different than hand-drawn animation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:12:28 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: August 25, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »
Name a hand drawn cartoon from the last five years that isn't Anime. I bet you can't name more than three. Two of those would be Avatar and Korra. That's it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
Name a hand drawn cartoon from the last five years that isn't Anime. I bet you can't name more than three. Two of those would be Avatar and Korra. That's it.

Yeah, you're overgeneralizing. I've studied animation, I've read the books, I've read the blogs from actual animators, so I know how it works.

A majority of hand-drawn animation is done the way I said. The drawings are still done on paper, then they are scanned into a computer and painted digitally. The Simpsons, SpongeBob, The Fairly Oddparents, Futurama, Family Guy, etc. are all hand-drawn animation.

Cartoons like My Little Pony and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends are animated in Flash or Maya, which is completely different than hand-drawn animated stuff.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3903 on: August 25, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
Futurama is a mixture of hand drawn animation and computer animation (since moving to Comedy Central, more is hand drawn since it is cheaper and CC gives them a smaller budget than Fox did).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: August 25, 2012, 08:29:50 PM »
Futurama is a mixture of hand drawn animation and computer animation (since moving to Comedy Central, more is hand drawn since it is cheaper and CC gives them a smaller budget than Fox did).

I know that, but the series is still produced and owned by Fox. Comedy Central is just the distributor. And Futurama was always primarily hand-drawn. CG was mainly used for scenes which would be too complex to do by hand (outer space battles and special effects).

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3905 on: August 25, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
We've had this conversation... take it back into the thread that already exists. Leave this thread for Wii U please.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: August 25, 2012, 08:50:10 PM »
Ah, the old "I'm a self-proclaimed expert so I know what I'm talking about" defense. Classic.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
Avatar is hand drawn.  Really?  That was a waste of time because it looks like it was down using the digital tools that are common in cartoons today.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: August 25, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »
Avatar is hand drawn.  Really?  That was a waste of time because it looks like it was down using the digital tools that are common in cartoons today.

Avatar the Nickelodeon cartoon? Yeah that was hand drawn. You can tell the difference between a hand-drawn cartoon and a cartoon made in Flash. Flash cartoons have smoother animation, and they look more polished.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
If this thread only had one throat! Grrr! Hopefully it would be Tendoboys.

Thanks Spak for at least commenting on the 5 player thing trying to get this place on topic. But yeah I suppose Nintendo did showcase such a feature with chase mii. Still I don't know why I didn't think it could have been utilized in racing games like that. That is a killer feature right there and it only truly dawned on me after I read about Sonic.

More importantly I think this extra screen could finally bring us a full on co-op 3D platformer! With separate cameras following the individual characters we just may see ideas from 12 Tales and the fabled sequel to Mario 64 which had 3d platforming co-op.

If I get 3d co-op Mario, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, or Sonic this gen I will be unbelievably excited!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:33:38 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: August 26, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »

There's a few CGI models with a lot of the Fire Nation machines, but the majority of the show is hand drawn from Korean artists.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: August 26, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
I know I just got done saying let the conversation go where it may, but I'd really appreciate it if you're going to have an extended extremely off-topic conversation like this that you take it to its own thread.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: August 26, 2012, 12:59:47 AM »
I was never concerned about the graphical output of the WiiU. Its the specs in general which concerns me. As others have pointed out, there's a graphical wall which means the next generation games won't look a great deal better than the games on the PS360, but specs are another matter. There is more to games than just looking pretty. Better specs also means better load times, better A.I., bigger and badder and better everything.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:43 AM »
According to some guy at Ngmoco (what kind of name is that?), mobile gaming will eventually kill off console and PC gaming.

Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/173011/Ngmocos_Cousins_predicts_the_death_of_consoles_within_510_years.php

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Mobile gaming and console gaming are two completely different experiences, targeted at two completely different audiences.

I was reading the comments in a related Forbes article, and a few people were stating that Nintendo needs to develop a "mobile Wii" device to compete with the smartphone industry. It's all apples and oranges, different products for different demographics. So what's the point in comparing them?

The reason more people game on their phones is because phones are kind of a necessity in today's world, everyone has one. But that doesn't making console gaming obsolete. More people have PC's, yet console gaming wasn't killed off by them. Game consoles are, and always have been, niche devices targeted towards a specific audience. Comparing mobile devices and game consoles is pointless.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:35:54 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: August 26, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
That means that the Wii U is capable of pushing 5 individual screens of data and run all the game rules and such.  That is pretty powerful...specially when it is streaming one of those channels of information to the WiiU tablet.
Nintendo showcased this ability at E3 2011 with the Chase Mii demo (and at E3 2012 with Nintendo Land's Sweet Day game). Now that two Wii U Gamepads are supported, 6 individual screens would be more impressive.

SIX... player... local... multiplayer.... *drooooooooooooooooooooooool*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: August 26, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »
I will attempt to try and get this thread back on topic:

Will the Wii U Game Pad be compatible with Wii games? If so, I suppose any Wii game that uses the CC Pro or the Wiimote in NES mode will be able to be played on the Game Pad. Games such as Galaxy and Skyward Sword will not be able to be played, but then again there is that IR sensor on the Game Pad, but the tiny screen is kind of a hinderance to game play.

Is Zombie U the Wii Sports of the Wii U?

Will Retro City Rampage be released for the Wii U? Will that game ever be released for that matter?

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: August 26, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »
According to some guy at Ngmoco (what kind of name is that?), mobile gaming will eventually kill off console and PC gaming.

Source: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/173011/Ngmocos_Cousins_predicts_the_death_of_consoles_within_510_years.php

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Mobile gaming and console gaming are two completely different experiences, targeted at two completely different audiences.

Until a smartphone is the best way you can play a flight simulator, nothing is going kill anything. Drive to obscurity is a different thing.

In an interview published on Kotaku, Iwata says it best:
Quote from: http://kotaku.com/5936557/unintimidated-by-apple-nintendos-boss-says-the-world-still-needs-dedicated-gaming-handhelds
"I think within games you have two needs that people fill. One is the time-filler need. The other is that it's a very important time for me and I want to have a rich experience. Those are two separate needs, I think." His implication was that Nintendo handheld gaming satisfied the latter need in a way that smartphone gaming typically did not.

"The other thing is how much are consumers willing to pay to play. I think that consumers who are willing to pay money for a gaming experience are looking for something that is more rich and are willing to spend some of that valuable time on that experience. I believe that as environments change and as the world progresses we're going to have different ways in which people want to spend their time. That being said, I don't think we're going to see the desire to have, again, rich and deep sort of gaming experiences... we're not going to see that vanish. That's not going to go away."

While the interview is directly addressing Nintendo and mobile gaming, I think it also applies to Nintendo's place in the home video game console space.

The important and unanswerable question is how and how many the Wii U will be a valuable experience to people. I don't think we can't know until the end of the year, but it's fun and frustrating to guess. From reading the other Kotaku interview on MiiVerse, I have hopes that Nintendo's player-focused social network will prove to be the dark horse secret weapon that will prove to be an essential tool in the Wii U and Nintendo's repertoire.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: August 26, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
This might sound strange, but I would really like to see a sequel to Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii U. However, unlike the original game this one would be developed by a western company (not Retro). This alone would make it much better than the original, but I really like the premise of that game. It's poorly executed design and presentation is what killed it. What I am looking for is a game with the open world gameplay of say a game like GTA IV coupled with Arkham City and graphics that push the Wii U hardware very well. Of course this will never happen, so it is relegated to my imagination.

Nintendo and Sqaure should allow Monolithsoft to make a sequel to Super Mario RPG. Nintendo would provide the funding, Square would allow their IPs to apear in the game, and Monolithsoft would provide the grunt work. The game could be marketed in the same way that Kid Icarus: Uprising was marketed as if it was a brand new IP totally unrelated to the original, but is in fact more than related to its predecessor.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3918 on: August 26, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »
Saying a sequel would be better just by being developed by a western developer is a stupid thing to say, plan and simple. A game's quality has NOTHING to do with whether is was made by a western developer or not. Under your logic, something like Xenoblade would have been better just by having a western developer make it.

And Nintendo doesn't need Square Enix's permission to do a sequel to Super Mario RPG, it's a Nintendo property. All Square has any rights to is a few of the characters.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: August 26, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure Nintendo considers the Paper Mario games and the Mario & Luigi games to be sequels to Super Mario RPG. The original Paper Mario was actually called Super Mario RPG 2 for a while before its release.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: August 27, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Why must everything Nintendo does be a sequel? Let's see them team up with Square and create something NEW. What made Super Mario RPG so awesome back in the day was it was some fresh and never been done before, even though it was in the familiar Mario universe. A sequel would be set in that same universe, so it wouldn't be quite as new and exciting. But Nintendo and Square could team up and do something completely different, or make another RPG but this time set it in another Nintendo universe, like perhaps the Zelda Universe? Or even Metroid?
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: August 27, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »
Square doesn't exist anymore. Square Enix and Nintendo would never get together to make a game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: August 27, 2012, 01:53:54 AM »
you mean like Crystal Chronicles? Nintendo had a problem with Squaresoft back in the FFVII days. Square had Sony publish games, then EA publish games, then published games on its own before marrying Enix.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: August 27, 2012, 02:34:24 AM »
Writing "Square" was easier than writing "Square-Enix".

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: August 27, 2012, 02:52:01 AM »
Writing "Square" was easier than writing "Square-Enix".

Yeah, that's why I wrote Square even though I know they are merged with Enix. Besides, no one cares about the Enix portion so that can be safely ignored. Square is the one who is wearing the pants in this merger.
is your sanity...