Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592817 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3875 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »
How much do you think Gamecube and the other console games will be priced on the eShop?

Wii: $19.99 to $49.99
Gamecube: $9.99 to $14.99
Dreamcast: $9.99 to $14.99
Saturn: $9.99 to $14.99 (due to the cost of reconfiguring the code of each game)
Genesis: &7.99
SNES: $7.99
N64: $9.99
Master System: $4.99
NES: $4.99
Neo Geo: $8.99
TG-16: $6.99
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: August 23, 2012, 05:24:07 PM »
Gamecube is going to be at least 30.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
Nintendo could continue their Nintendo Selects line of games for the Wii via the Wii U's eShop. There are atleast a dozen more Wii games that could be discounted to lure people into the eShop. Third parties would jump at the chance to resell their Wii games again to make some extra profit, and I am only looking forward to digitizing my Wii collection.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: August 23, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »
Gamecube is going to be at least 30.

You have to remember that GameCube games are older now than N64 games were when the Wii came out. $30 is way too much, especially since most of the best games on the system were available for $20 by the end as part of the Players Choice line.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: August 23, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Miiverse: A Gamer's Facebook?
« Reply #3880 on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: August 23, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
What about Atari Jaguar, 3DO, and Phillips CDi games?
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: August 23, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »

Only the popular consoles are allowed in the Virtual Console club.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:34 AM »
Man no one cares about the Miiverse potential? This is the most exciting feature of the Wii U for me!

I'm not betting on anything as robust as Facebook, but something purely Nintendo that I can post on without booting up another machine is going to be great! To be able to quickly set up matches and share experiences literally seconds after I do something within a game is going to be so much fun!

Then I think about how the game asks you how you feel about a certain portion of the game and oh man! Imagine the next Zelda has its inevitable fetch quest or padding? Instant angry face from everyone, no need for a club Nintendo survey from select users, they will probably  know instantly what everyone loves and hates about everything! This could only mean good things in the future.

Still though Nintendo is Nintendo, what will they do that will jack things up? 30 minute delay? Well that's for randoms not friends, so that's not so bad. Friend Codes? They are back, but the system is account based and apparently the FC system will be completely revamped. That could just be the name now for Nintendo's Gamer Tag.

Then I suppose some goon will down play it with, why not just post on your Facebook for help and game chat? People have enough to worry about with employers checking our facebooks and some people trying to even hide that they like certain games or video games period. And who really posts all there gaming ideas/needs on Facebook? No body! Every once and a while we get excited and say we love a new game that came out, 3 people respond and not even with a sentence. It's either a Like or :)

That article got me really hype! I really think this feature could take off! Just think how much some of you use Swapnote? I'd use it more if I could just see who I am getting the message from since I get darn near a 100 a day. Come on who else is excited!?

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3884 on: August 24, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »

3DO sold pretty well, and there are probably more popular 3DO games than Master System games. I would like to comment on how well Neo Geo sold, but there appears to be almost no info online about how well that sold.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: August 24, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »

But you included the Saturn, Neo Geo, Turbografix-16, and Master System in your list. Those weren't popular systems either. Some would argue they were failures.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3886 on: August 24, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
I wouldn't go that far. I refrained from calling them failures as Master System sold about 10 million worldwide, as did TurboGrafx-16. Saturn sold about 9 million (though 6 million of that was just in Japan).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: August 24, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
Man no one cares about the Miiverse potential?

It's not that I'm not excited, I just don't want to speculate too much about what it "could" do just for them to Nintendo it.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3888 on: August 24, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »

It's not that I'm not excited, I just don't want to speculate too much about what it "could" do just for them to Nintendo Britta it.
Fixed. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: August 24, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »

It's not that I'm not excited, I just don't want to speculate too much about what it "could" do just for them to Nintendo Britta it.
Fixed. ;)

*Leonard likes this post.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Re: Wii U Specs are surprising
« Reply #3890 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
Well I tried.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/41185/wii-u-specs-surprising-says-sonic-developer/

Sonic Racing developer.

There are always surprises and unexpected challenges when you develop on a new console," said Lycett. "When we first got our hands on the kit, the first surprise was the capability of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). We'd been worried that we might need to re-engineer all the effects and shaders in the game, but they worked just fine

The Wii U looks as good as any of the HD platforms. The Wii U has way more memory, so we can take advantage of that with less compression on elements and textures, so it will look all lovely and shiny.

Now this next article makes it seem as if the Wii is in dire trouble. Most interesting thing is AC3 apparently looking worse. At E3 it certainly wasn't the case. But the best news from this article is 5 player split screen with Sonic Racing. And yes you guessed it, 1 player has the game pad screen all to their selves!

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii-u-good-news-and-bad-news-after-more-quality-time-nintendos-new-console-gamescom/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:38:30 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Specs are surprising
« Reply #3891 on: August 25, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
Well I tried.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/41185/wii-u-specs-surprising-says-sonic-developer/

Sonic Racing developer.

There are always surprises and unexpected challenges when you develop on a new console," said Lycett. "When we first got our hands on the kit, the first surprise was the capability of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). We'd been worried that we might need to re-engineer all the effects and shaders in the game, but they worked just fine

The Wii U looks as good as any of the HD platforms. The Wii U has way more memory, so we can take advantage of that with less compression on elements and textures, so it will look all lovely and shiny.

Now this next article makes it seem as if the Wii is in dire trouble. Most interesting thing is AC3 apparently looking worse. At E3 it certainly wasn't the case. But the best news from this article is 5 player split screen with Sonic Racing. And yes you guessed it, 1 player has the game pad screen all to their selves!

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii-u-good-news-and-bad-news-after-more-quality-time-nintendos-new-console-gamescom/

So it's a good thing that the Wii U is barely superior to the Xbox 360 and PS3? People have their expectations too low. Nintendo should be more ambitious if they want to compete in the graphics race.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3892 on: August 25, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
Every reputable developer has said it's more than just "barely" superior. Besides, there isn't much improvement that CAN be made in graphics (the leap will not be anywhere near as big as it had been to this gen).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: August 25, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
Nintendo should be more ambitious if they want to compete in the graphics race.

I was not aware that this was Nintendo's ambition.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: August 25, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
Every reputable developer has said it's more than just "barely" superior. Besides, there isn't much improvement that CAN be made in graphics (the leap will not be anywhere near as big as it had been to this gen).

Have you seen what's being done in movies lately? Video game graphics are far behind the CG quality of Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson's King Kong, James Cameron's Avatar, Pixar's movies, Jurassic Park, the Star Wars Prequels, etc.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #3895 on: August 25, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
Comparing video game and movie graphics is not fair in the least.

Avatar's world took up a whole petabyte of memory. How could you possibly fit that in any reasonably affordable storage medium?

Pixar films and other CGI films take hours to render just ONE frame. It doesn't matter in the long run because all those frames are saved and then played in sequence. But when you're dealing with a computer that has to render up to 60 frames in one second (and handle potentially hundreds of other operations simultaneously), you have to make compromises with graphics somewhere until hardware becomes affordable enough to allow graphics to be on par with movies.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: August 25, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »
All that hard work and tech used in making CG animation seems pointless. What happened to good old hand-drawn animation? You mainly see it in TV cartoons these days. Scanning drawings into a computer, then digitally inking and painting them seems like a much simpler process than building 3D models, textures, rigging, lighting, scripting movements, etc. Why is CG animation more popular if it takes bigger teams and more resources to produce?

Animation used to be an art form, people could actually draw and design their own characters BY HAND. Now, with the help of computers, animation seems more like a chore.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 06:48:47 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: August 25, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
You are so wrong it's hilarious. Look at any behind-the-scenes featurette of Pixar or Dreamworks film.

And no, they don't just scan drawings into a computer. Look at almost any "traditional" cartoon. Spongebob, My Little Pony, Adventure Time, etc. are not done the way you said.

Animation still is an art form, even more so. Stop acting like a hipster, please.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3898 on: August 25, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Also, 5 players at one time...is awesome...and actually tells us a lot about the power of the system.

If Sega has managed to get a good frame rate with minimal graphical downgrade for the 5 player mode.  That means that the Wii U is capable of pushing 5 individual screens of data and run all the game rules and such.  That is pretty powerful...specially when it is streaming one of those channels of information to the WiiU tablet. 

Actually you know what would be an evil and fun racing game...having the 5th player be able to create obstructions and such for the other racers. 

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #3899 on: August 25, 2012, 07:45:06 PM »
That means that the Wii U is capable of pushing 5 individual screens of data and run all the game rules and such.  That is pretty powerful...specially when it is streaming one of those channels of information to the WiiU tablet.
Nintendo showcased this ability at E3 2011 with the Chase Mii demo (and at E3 2012 with Nintendo Land's Sweet Day game). Now that two Wii U Gamepads are supported, 6 individual screens would be more impressive.