Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592745 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3825 on: August 18, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »
Ceric, Iwata already said that the Wii U will be capable of doing 3D. 3D gaming seems to be waning though (not that there were ever that many titles that supported it), since very few people own 3D TV's (only about 3% of people in the US have one).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: August 18, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
Ceric, Iwata already said that the Wii U will be capable of doing 3D. 3D gaming seems to be waning though (not that there were ever that many titles that supported it), since very few people own 3D TV's (only about 3% of people in the US have one).

3% may own one, but how much of a percentage of that actually use the 3D on it?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3827 on: August 18, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
Exactly. I am seeing reports from the UK that many people buying 3D TV's don't even know they have 3D; they are just buying a new TV and it happens to support 3D. And apparently the US has the highest adoption rate of it, so you can see how far it is from being mainstream when 3% is the highest of any country.

If I could afford a new TV right now, maybe I would get a 3D TV just to have the choice.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: August 18, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
How do you accidentally pay a 30%-50% premium over the next TV due to 3D and not realize you have just bought a 3D TV? some people....

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3829 on: August 18, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
Got me, my only guess is that they wanted a high end TV and just asked the salesman for one (I am sure we've seen people like that/

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: August 19, 2012, 02:59:08 AM »
They could also have possibly not advertised the 3D even though the tv was capable...probably not.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: August 19, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »
A friend of mine recently told me that his (elderly) mother and step-father decided that they wanted a top-flight TV for their new apartment, so they went to PC Richards and basically asked for the best they had. They ended up paying like $3K for a window-sized ultra-thin screen with all the bells and whistles. While my friend was helping them configure it, he discovered that it's also a 3D TV. His mother had no idea and has no intention of using the feature. I imagine this kind of situation accounts for a hefty chunk of 3D sales.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: August 19, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »
Then one day when all of the sudden a 3D image pops out of the screen at them it will give them a heart attack... Elderly people shouldn't have TVs which are 3D capable if they don't know about it, because that's a ticking time bomb that might shock them to death at some point. Imagine them watching Matlock and then all of the sudden Andy Griffith pops out at them. They would probably think its his ghost and it would scare the hell out of them.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: August 19, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
Then one day when all of the sudden a 3D image pops out of the screen at them it will give them a heart attack... Elderly people shouldn't have TVs which are 3D capable if they don't know about it, because that's a ticking time bomb that might shock them to death at some point. Imagine them watching Matlock and then all of the sudden Andy Griffith pops out at them. They would probably think its his ghost and it would scare the hell out of them.

only if they accidentally put on the $50 pair of 3D glasses that they likely had to purchase separately....

edit: and someone went back and configured "Matlock" to work in 3D :P

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: August 19, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
Imagine them watching Matlock and then all of the sudden Andy Griffith pops out at them.

Replace Matlock with Perry Mason and I'm almost sold on 3D TVs.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: August 19, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
BnM, not all 3D TVs require glasses. Some are glasses free.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: August 19, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
I suppose that if (it were the year 2016 and) they were spending over 3k on a window sized LED TV, it's possible it was a glasses free version.... but I doubt it. as they don't really sell 55"+ glasses free LED HDTV"s right now (not that I've seen) and especially not for anywhere near only $3k.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: August 19, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
I suppose that if (it were the year 2016 and) they were spending over 3k on a window sized LED TV, it's possible it was a glasses free version.... but I doubt it. as they don't really sell 55"+ glasses free LED HDTV"s right now (not that I've seen) and especially not for anywhere near only $3k.

But there's no reason for those TVs to be that expensive if Nintendo can make a glasses-free 3D handheld for under $200. The prices should be much lower.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3838 on: August 19, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
The technology is pretty different, companies are working on it though. But you can get a Samsung 50 inch 3D TV for about $800, so they aren't too expensive anymore.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: August 19, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
Yeah, not sure if they bought glasses. Presumably not, given that they didn't know that they had 3D in the first place, though the glasses could well have been dropped on the stack of accessories, including an "HD" power strip and gold-plated HDMI cord.

Isn't the main issue with glasses vs. stationary the viewing angle window? I assumed nobody has applied 3DS tech on a stationary screen because of the perpendicular viewing angle rec.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: August 19, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »
BnM, not all 3D TVs require glasses. Some are glasses free.
The only glasses free 3D devices in retail are a select few smartphones and the 3DS.  There is the tech that allows glasses free 3D out there and companies are working to bring it to retail.  But at this time, there are no 3D tvs that do not require the glasses (passive or active).  Plus, I don't think they've gotten it where more than two people at a time can see the 3D.  You also have to be in specific spots and not move from them to make it work.  We are at least 4-5 years away from getting retail models.  My guess is we will see 4K tvs before we see glasses free 3D 1080P tvs.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »

But there's no reason for those TVs to be that expensive if Nintendo can make a glasses-free 3D handheld for under $200. The prices should be much lower.

Quite a bit of difference between a 5" screen and a 50" screen.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: August 19, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »

Quite a bit of difference between a 5" screen and a 50" screen.

I know that, but TV's (even if they're 3D capable) should be priced more affordable for the mass market. They shouldn't cost as much as a car.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3843 on: August 19, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »
Didn't realize that cars are $800. Even $3,000 won't get you a car unless you get it used.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Didn't realize that cars are $800. Even $3,000 won't get you a car unless you get it used.

Ok maybe a car was a bad analogy. I kept thinking those high end 3D TV's were $10,000 and up.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »
I know that, but TV's (even if they're 3D capable) should be priced more affordable for the mass market. They shouldn't cost as much as a car.

I'm with you on this one. I feel out-of-place when I saw people buy $900 or $1200 or $2000 tvs in the past. Aren't TVs supposed to be priced under $250?!?! I got by with old hand-me-down CRT TVs all the way up until this year, when the family bought a returned older-model 32" LCD 720p TV for $150 at a Sam's Club.

But then again, I guess I'm a luddite when it comes to things like that.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
You need the old CRT TVs to use the NES Zapper in order to play games like Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and so on. So CRT TVs are better at least in that respect. The Zapper won't work on the new ones.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: August 20, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »
i've seen cars in newspapers for $800 they are Jalopies though
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
My guess is we will see 4K tvs before we see glasses free 3D 1080P tvs.

Sorry for the interruption, but what's a "4k TV"?

I'm with you on this one. I feel out-of-place when I saw people buy $900 or $1200 or $2000 tvs in the past. Aren't TVs supposed to be priced under $250?!?! I got by with old hand-me-down CRT TVs all the way up until this year, when the family bought a returned older-model 32" LCD 720p TV for $150 at a Sam's Club.

But then again, I guess I'm a luddite when it comes to things like that.

Oh Kairon. If you spend all your money keeping TV manufacturers afloat, who would spend all their money to keep video game publishers going? You play too valuable a role in the ecosystem to abandon it!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3849 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »
4K as in the resolution of the TV. Each horizontal line is about 4,000 pixels (usually between 3,600 and 4,100). 1080p (which is the highest for most current HDTVs) is around 1,920 horizontal pixels.

Of course, a Japanese company called NHK is already proposing 8K TVs.