Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592710 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3725 on: August 07, 2012, 02:59:35 AM »
lol GameCube design
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 07, 2012, 05:25:27 AM »
lol GameCube design
Ah, you're right! That's pretty cool.

According to Wii U Daily, which cites an anonymous source, EA and DICE began work on a Wii U version of Battlefield 3, but stopped late last year, due to a "feud" with Nintendo over Origin's integration on the Wii U.

The site reported that the development team from the shelved project was merged into the team working on Battlefield 4, which is reportedly working on a "straight port" of the game for the Wii U, featuring touchscreen controls.

GameSpot contacted EA for comment. The publisher replied:

"This is an old rumour. Battlefield 3 is available for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. The exclusive Battlefield 4 beta will be available in [...] 2013. Additional details regarding Battlefield 4 will be revealed at a later date."

Interesting of the feud rumor given that we were lead to believe that Nintendo would give publishers and developers carte blanche (or something near it) when it came to online services for the Wii U. Perhaps Electronic Arts was asking for too much with Origin on Wii U? Or maybe Nintendo had universal features in mind that caused conflict?

Anyway, there are quicker and cheaper ways for people to play Battlefield 3 if they wanted. Also, I don't find it desirable to have DICE try to shoehorn Wii U GamePad features in to the game.

Ah, here we go. (Possible) answers to my questions: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg749188#msg749188
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:36:12 AM by Enner »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 07, 2012, 06:16:07 AM »
Perhaps Electronic Arts was asking for too much with Origin on Wii U?

This is what the rumors are indicating. EA was going to do it up right and build the Wii U online system from scratch themselves, but they demanded more control than Nintendo was willing to give up and the deal fell through.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 07, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »

This is what the rumors are indicating. EA was going to do it up right and build the Wii U online system from scratch themselves, but they demanded more control than Nintendo was willing to give up and the deal fell through.

This is exactly what happened with Nintendo and their deal wit Sony to create a CD add-on for the SNES. Sony wanted too much control and Nintendo refused and the deal fell through, but instead of abandoning the work they already put into it Sony took that and turned it into the Playstation.

Perhaps now EA will do the same? EA is one of those third party publishers that is so massive, that if they were to attempt to create their own console they might actually succeed.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »

This is exactly what happened with Nintendo and their deal wit Sony to create a CD add-on for the SNES. Sony wanted too much control and Nintendo refused and the deal fell through, but instead of abandoning the work they already put into it Sony took that and turned it into the Playstation.

Perhaps now EA will do the same? EA is one of those third party publishers that is so massive, that if they were to attempt to create their own console they might actually succeed.
They already have Origin.  Sony was working on actual hardware.

I mean I fully agree with Nintendo on this.  The rumor has it that EA wanted Origin to BE the online everything.  Effectively being a shadow controller of the WiiU platform.  I wouldn't want that for my platform especially when I'm trying to control the experience and not just lobbing hardware out to the wild.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 07, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »
The main difference is in that case Nintendo publicly humiliated Sony, and in this case we're only hearing rumors, so I doubt there will be any kind of serious retribution. And EA's not stupid enough to sink billions of dollars into a console that it'll take a decade to have any chance of making back.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 07, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »
EA's not stupid enough

EA's founder Trip Hawkins left the company in the '90s and founded the 3DO company which created the 3DO console. Trip Hawkins recently rejoined EA, so...
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
Why would EA want to do that? Microsoft wanted to get a foothold in the living room, so they were willing to lose a ton of money to get it. What would EA as a company that has never shown a desire to go beyond a game publisher have to gain from going that route?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:14 AM »
Kotaku had this earlier. Leaked box art maybe? Gamecube-ish with a different color scheme maybe?

http://www.amazon.ca/Assassins-Creed-3-Trilingual-WiiU/dp/B0088X67EY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1344349202&sr=8-13

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3734 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:04 AM »
I really really want to see Nintendo go with PS3 sized boxes. That cover art is definitely DVD-sized, though.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
I'm still holding out hope for a U Shape container that is not much bigger then the actual Disc.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:16:28 AM by Tamazoid »
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
Does this mean WiiU game boxes are going to be light blue?

Apparently.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 07, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
Kotaku had this earlier. Leaked box art maybe? Gamecube-ish with a different color scheme maybe?

http://www.amazon.ca/Assassins-Creed-3-Trilingual-WiiU/dp/B0088X67EY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1344349202&sr=8-13

I posted that in the last page.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 07, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
EA's not stupid enough

EA's founder Trip Hawkins left the company in the '90s and founded the 3DO company which created the 3DO console. Trip Hawkins recently rejoined EA, so...

yeah, do you think he learned his lesson the first time?

on the other hand, EA has a monopoly on sports games, and has built quite a few popular franchises. They could if they wanted to. I would actually be for it in the future. 2 generations from now console prices should take a nosedive since were hitting that graphics wall.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:59:15 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 07, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »
Dang it, it looks like they are going with dvd sized cases.  That upsets me a little, though not enough to care that much.  I would have preferred bluray sized cases.  It'd be another way they can have consumers distinguish the difference between Wii and Wii U games.  It's one more way they can prevent the 3DS confusion issue before it has a chance to even exist.

And yes I know these are not final boxart images, but they seem to be pretty close as these images are everywhere now, not just Amazon but Target as well.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 07, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »
What would EA as a company that has never shown a desire to go beyond a game publisher have to gain from going that route?

The same thing as Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. They would no longer have to pay licensing fees, and they would collect the licensing fees of others (assuming it took off, and others supported it), and they would have total control over it to do whatever they want with Origin or whatever they decided to do.

There's no denying video game hardware is a tough market to break into (most who have attempted it have failed), but the rewards to those who succeed are immense.
is your sanity...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3742 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:26 PM »
The big appeal would be making the Madden games exclusive - except the NFL would rip the league license from them in a heartbeat if they did that to maintain the league's reach.

So no, not happening.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: August 07, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
another good point by shaymin. Also can you imagine how fractured the market would be with another console. 3 is enough, and Ouya doesn't count(because it is an open platform).
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 07, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »

I posted that in the last page.

Sorry. My bad!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 07, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
EA's not making a console.  It's just not going to happen, not unless they have lost their minds or two of the big three console makers go out of business.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: August 07, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
EA may not be making a console per se, but doesn't Origin count as a Platform in the same vein as Steam?
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3747 on: August 07, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »
and Ouya doesn't count(because it is an open platform).

And because Ouya will be niche at most. I don't see EA wanting to launch its own console, especially with the costs involved and the millions they would lose in sales from not having their games on other systems. Origin is not a console, just a delivery method (like iTunes, Amazon, eMusic, etc.).

I wouldn't want game cases to be as small as PS3, Sony did that just to be different. People like standard size cases for a reason, they look better and fit neatly together. Whether its a DVD, Xbox 360 game, Wii game, etc.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: August 07, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Not to mention that there are a lot of DVD case containers and holders on the market which will hold Wii and 360 games just fine, but might not necessarily hold the smaller PS3 cases.

Although, one nice thing that can be said about the PS3 cases is that they are more compact which is always a good thing. It means they take up less space, and also use less plastic which is more environmentally friendly.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
The important question is does Unclebob have a source on blank Blu-ray style cases?