Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592835 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3625 on: July 27, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
I was expecting $350 so I'll gladly pay $300.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: July 27, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »
I was expecting $350 with NintendoLand packed in, so if that price also includes NintendoLand I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: July 28, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »
I was expecting $350 with NintendoLand packed in, so if that price also includes NintendoLand I'll be pleasantly surprised.

What if it turns out $60 worth of specs were stripped out in order to accommodate Nintendoland? Would that still be a pleasant surprise?

I hope at $300 we are getting hardware that is close to if not $300 in value. I don't want to pay $300 and get $200 worth of hardware and a $50-$60 game with the remainder being pure markup. If Nintendo is offering Nintendoland as a freebie out of their pocket which in no way factors into the cost of the Wii U then I'm perfectly fine with that, but in all honesty if its a casual mini-game collection like Wii Sports I would probably only play it for about 15 minutes and then it would just sit unused from that point on.

The bottom line is if NintendoLand were a stand alone game I would not spend $60 in it, so why should I be forced to pay for it in the price of the console? I would rather be able to just buy the console and then choose my own game, like perhaps Zombie U for example. You know, a game I would actually play as opposed to one that would just be a waste of money for me.

What gets me is weren't you and Adrock defending Nintendo's decision not to include an AC adapter in the 3DS XL because that saves people money by not forcing them to buy something they don't need? Well, why are you guys taking a 180 position here? Its the same principle. Not everyone is going to care about NintendoLand or want it, so why should they have no choice but to buy it in order to buy the console? At least with the AC adapter it was something you actually need for the system to run, but a game? Well you need a game I guess, but why not let consumers make their own decision?

Or at the very least, there should be two SKUs as an option. One with Nintendoland for $299, and then another one without it for $249. That way everyone is happy. Choice is never a bad thing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:13:16 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3628 on: July 28, 2012, 01:18:38 AM »
Choice is never a bad thing.

Unless of course you sell things.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: July 28, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »

What if it turns out $60 worth of specs were stripped out in order to accommodate Nintendoland? Would that still be a pleasant surprise?

The hardware is what it is. If they stripped it down, they did it a long time ago, and there's no changing that now. So if the choice is between $300 with Nintendo Land or $300 without Nintendo Land, the former is the more desirable option.

The bottom line is if NintendoLand were a stand alone game I would not spend $60 in it, so why should I be forced to pay for it in the price of the console?

For the same reason you were forced to buy Wii Sports with a Wii, or Tetris with a Game Boy, because it shows off the capabilities of the hardware and adds more perceived value than it actually costs them to include it.

What gets me is weren't you and Adrock defending Nintendo's decision not to include an AC adapter in the 3DS XL because that saves people money by not forcing them to buy something they don't need?

The 3DS XL is a bad example, because as far as I know nobody already owns a copy of Nintendo Land. I also have no problem with them not including it, especially at that price. What you need to understand, though, is whether or not they include it has no effect on the quality of the hardware, and you certainly aren't paying $60 for it as part of the hardware cost.

Honestly, it would be ridiculous to expect it to retail below $300, so getting upset that it includes Nintendo Land as if that were jacking up the price is insane.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: July 28, 2012, 02:04:52 AM »
+1 insano
What gets me is weren't you and Adrock defending Nintendo's decision not to include an AC adapter in the 3DS XL because that saves people money by not forcing them to buy something they don't need? Well, why are you guys taking a 180 position here? Its the same principle.
First, it's not the same principle. Second, I didn't mention Nintendo Land at all. I said I'd gladly pay $300 when I expected to have to pay $350. Why wouldn't I want to save $50, especially since I've been saying for weeks that I probably don't have the money to get a Wii U this year?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: July 28, 2012, 02:36:46 AM »
The crazy thing is that Chozo's getting really upset about the price of something that he doesn't even want. Hell, if you really want it to fail shouldn't you be happy that you perceive them to be screwing over customers?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: July 28, 2012, 03:06:01 AM »
I didn't simply say I wanted the Wii U to fail. There was a lot more that I said as well, but of course that got cut out. Anyone or anything can be made to look bad if taken out of context.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: July 28, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
Anyone or anything can be made to look bad if taken out of context.
Or if someone goes beyond taking something out of context and just makes stuff up entirely. For example, when you took one of the shortest posts I've ever written on NWR and threw in something about Nintendo Land. Then, you even managed to misinterpret what I said about the 3DS XL AC adapter (again). So, you conjured the contradiction that you're calling me out on. What's even funnier is that you smited me for it too. You made up the thing you were displeased with then blamed me for it. Lulz.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: July 28, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Eh, I'll play judge. Why not?
I agree with Chozo.

Two more points:
1. I usually agree with Adrock, so this is new for me.
2. Ad and Insano, stop fanning flames. You too, Chozo. And, Insano, as I tell my oldest child, you in particular should know better (as a mod).

10 Hail Marys for Insano, 9 for Ad and 8 for Chozo

Court adjourned.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: July 28, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
I love Adrock and Roll, put another quarter in the Donkey Kong baby

Isano? Lord have mercy.

Why just have pizza when you can have a Chozone?

Solo! Hay lapa no ya, Solo! Hur Hur Hur.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: July 28, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
shyguy, if I could +1 you (or +1000), I would.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: July 28, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
What's even funnier is that you smited me for it too.

I did?
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: July 28, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
I didn't simply say I wanted the Wii U to fail. There was a lot more that I said as well, but of course that got cut out. Anyone or anything can be made to look bad if taken out of context.
Probably not the best think to be advertizing under your screen name, then.

300 is affordable and doable for me. I'm not complaining. Hell, I'll be pissed if there's no Nintendoland pack in but I'd probably buy it, honestly.

Nintendo being affordable with a console in the middle of an economic crisis is not a bad thing, nor is it if they have to make the specs a little dumbed down in order to accomplish that. If it's affordable, it has a chance. Some say it may be a risky move in such an economic state but it could give them the edge they need for next generation.

...IMO. :D
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: July 28, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
I did?
My mistake if you didn't. Just seemed like you did considering that one post.
You don't get to choose what that says.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:50:28 PM by Adrock »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »
I did?
My mistake if you didn't. Just seemed like you did considering that one post.
You don't get to choose what that says.
Guh. I was being sarcastic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:11:35 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: July 28, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
The user title thing is like the yellow star that Jews were forced to wear by the Nazis so they could be singled out for persecution. Since I have no choice, I might as well wear it with pride.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: July 28, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
We need some real Wii U related stuff to talk about. This is getting ridiculous.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
Yes, comparing the mods on this site to the Nazis is most certainly getting ridiculous.

I tried to change Chozo's title to "makes horrible, offensive analogies" about a week ago, but someone, most likely UncleBob, switched it back. That seems pretty damn spot on right now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3644 on: July 28, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
You can change mine to something fun, if it makes you feel better.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: July 28, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
Or mine. I know people like teasing me. :)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: July 28, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »
I don't know who's responsible for nickmitch's title, but thanks for the lulz. No offense, nickmitch. +1 for being a good sport about it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3647 on: July 28, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
I think it was actually Uncle Bob, so that might help Insano feel better.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: July 28, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »
I just wish we could all get along and not have any smiting, name calling, or offensive user titles. All of that stuff should be done away with and we should just focus on discussing the topics with civility.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: July 28, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »
I think it was actually Uncle Bob, so that might help Insano feel better.

Wait, UncleBob gives people titles? I'd be jazzed if he could bestow a title upon me!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.