Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592752 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3600 on: July 23, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
Wii U needs to catch some buzz, some mindshare, some heat, some hype.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
Right now Nintendo is basically not even in the console market at all. I know the Wii isn't officially dead, but there's like The Last Story and what else? Basically its dead. In terms of Handhelds Nintendo is doing as well as they always have, but with consoles there's no sign of a pulse. So Nintendo is losing mindshare because they aren't making their presence felt. Any momentum the Wii may have had left is gone. The Wii U is going to have to build up momentum all over again, because the hype train is screeched to a halt and has been sitting idle on the tracks for quite some time now and the wheels are rusting and locked up. Its going to take some serious effort to get the hype train unfrozen and moving again. It would have been wiser to never let the hype train stop in the first place.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
Right now Nintendo is basically not even in the console market at all. I know the Wii isn't officially dead, but there's like The Last Story and what else? Basically its dead. In terms of Handhelds Nintendo is doing as well as they always have, but with consoles there's no sign of a pulse. So Nintendo is losing mindshare because they aren't making their presence felt. Any momentum the Wii may have had left is gone. The Wii U is going to have to build up momentum all over again, because the hype train is screeched to a halt and has been sitting idle on the tracks for quite some time now and the wheels are rusting and locked up. Its going to take some serious effort to get the hype train unfrozen and moving again. It would have been wiser to never let the hype train stop in the first place.

This reminds me of what happened during the GameCube's last couple years. Game releases dried up, publishers abandoned the system, and even Nintendo was busy focusing on their next console (Wii). But this kind of thing happens with every console transition.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3603 on: July 23, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
Maybe the lack of Wii content and especially Wii marketing is actually smart on Nintendo's part.  The Wii needs to leave the public consciousness, at least for a short while, so that when the see the WiiU, they don't think, "Didn't we just buy that?"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:31 PM »
If Nintendo can get significant and successful third-party support, you won't see a drought during home console transition periods. I think it's as simple as that, Nintendo's only a single company after all.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: July 23, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
But this kind of thing happens with every console transition.

Need I point out that the PS3/360 are going very strong right now and are showing no signs of slowing down? The PS3 is just as old as the Wii is, and the 360 is even a year older. How come these systems are doing what Nintendon't?

I understand there's nothing that can be done about the Wii drought now and I'm not saying Nintendo should try to address that at this point (although they should have taken steps years ago so it never got to this point), but what I am saying is in Lieu of the lack of Wii software they could keep us fed on a steady stream of Wii U tidbits and information. But instead we're getting absolutely nothing at all. On the one hand the Wii is floating face down dead in the water, and Nintendo is being tight lipped about the Wii U. So this is a double whammy of nothing on both fronts. There's the 3DS that's alive and kicking, but that's it.

Nintendo should throw us a bone now and then. E3 was almost two months ago, and who knows when the next conference/expo thing will be. Reggie says we are "insatiable", but anyone will seem insatiable when they are starving.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:06:30 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: July 24, 2012, 12:06:50 AM »
There was a period there when Nintendo was trying to support four systems at once. That's going to spread resources pretty thin, and if they have to choose between supporting the new up and coming hardware or the old, declining hardware, it's not a hard decision.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: July 24, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »

Need I point out that the PS3/360 are going very strong right now and are showing no signs of slowing down? The PS3 is just as old as the Wii is, and the 360 is even a year older. How come these systems are doing what Nintendon't?

Well in this case, couldn't it be that Nintendo is the only one of the three that has announced a new console, and set to release this year?  Little incentive for publishers to release games on a console that is in its death throes.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: July 24, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »

Well in this case, couldn't it be that Nintendo is the only one of the three that has announced a new console, and set to release this year?  Little incentive for publishers to release games on a console that is in its death throes.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post.
is your sanity...

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: July 24, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post.

The rest of your post didn't exist when I hit the reply button.

Personally, I usually use this drought period to catch up on games I missed during the console's life cycle. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:47:22 AM by lolmonade »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:05 AM »
If Nintendo isn't in the console market, then Sony isn't in the handheld market.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: July 24, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
FYI, both PS3 and 360 sales are way down year over year.  There are huge signs that both are slowing.  They are not as dead as the Wii, but there are very big signs.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: July 26, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
Has anyone seen the Darksiders 2 videos on the main page?  Sh*t does that game look good and I wasn't even looking forward to it.  I played the first one and ended up selling it as it seemed to straight forward and general for me to get any enjoyment but this one is looking top notch.  I'm loving the implementation of more hardcore rpg elements such as the loot and skill tree. It'll help personalize the character more. 

Little by little the WiiU is amassing a large list of must have games for me.  I wasn't blown away at E3 but the more I look at the games, the more I realize the majority of them might just be must haves.  Given that I'm doing most of my gaming now on my PS3 and PC, I might as well sell my Wii and 360 to start my WiiU fund lol. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: July 26, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
The Dragon Quest X thread isn't on the 1st page so I'll post this here then maybe look for the topic afterwards.

According to Kotaku, Nintendo is selling an official USB flash drive (DQX requires a 16GB USB drive, any will do) for $40. Lulz.

With DQX coming to Wii U as well, I wonder how Nintendo plans on handling this requirement? Will they offer a USB flash drive bundle as well? Since extra storage is mandatory for DQX and this is a big game for Nintendo, it would be nice if the Wii U be capable of handling the game without any extras, meaning the internal storage is more than 16GB to compensate for the game and system updates. I know USB hard drives are an option. I'm just musing on how Nintendo will handle releasing the game on Wii U. The only reason a bundle exists for the Wii version is because the Wii as is was inadequate to handle DQX. A Wii U bundle wouldn't be necessary if the Wii U itself was capable of handling the game's minimum requirements. A bundle is probably cheaper for them though.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Crytek Working With Nintendo
« Reply #3614 on: July 26, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/359998/crytek-working-with-nintendo-crysis-3-wii-u-a-possibility/?

Say's Crysis 3 is a possibility for Wii U. But not really.

"I wouldn't say there's no chance," he said. "I wouldn't say no chance. I mean the Wii U still doesn't have any kind of release [date] attached to it at this point. Who knows what the future will bring with it. I can definitely say that we are working with Nintendo, and that's about all I can say on that front.
"I wouldn't rule it out, but there has really been no official releases associated with the Wii U yet, and given that we're releasing Crysis in an eight month time period in February of 2013, we can't play off of what their schedules are. I wouldn't rule it out, but you know, it is a possibility."

And before Chozo jumps in about a release date, I can guarantee you they know of a release date. Also are you buying it at launch?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:34:17 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »

Because neither Microsoft or Sony are focused on their next consoles right now. Nintendo has the Wii U coming out in a few months, so they are readying their marketing campaign and development teams for that.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
Speaking of DS2...doesn't Death look like Casey Jones from TMNT?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »
Speaking of DS2...doesn't Death look like Casey Jones from TMNT?

That is exactly what AVGN said about the final boss in the NES Predator game.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Wii U $299.99
« Reply #3618 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »
According to Shane Satterfeild, Editor In Chief at gametrailers, has heard Wii U is going to be $299.99.

He was the guy that said the U launch was looking pretty darn good, except there were games he saw that were not announced at E3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/u6xhk7/invisible-walls-episode-217
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:56:41 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U $299.99
« Reply #3619 on: July 27, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
heard Wii U is going to be $299.99.
why is everything $50 more than I want it to be?
/3DS
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: July 27, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
Well $299.99 is the price most people have been expecting anyway so it wouldn't be too surprising.  The most important thing is weather Nintendo Land will be packed in or not which no one knows yet.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: July 27, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
$300 is a perfectly acceptable price.  I would gladly have paid $300 for the Wii if it had beefier specs.  Plus that controller can't be cheap so if they cut the price lower something important would have to be compromised.  We know they won't compromise the tablet controller.

Now if I found out that Nintendo is making an incredibly high profit at that price margin, well...

Prices can go down but the hardware they pick today is around for GOOD.  Being future proof is more important that having a slightly affordable price point.  This isn't like the PS3 launch.  Didn't the PS3 Slim cost $300?  That was the price point that made that system take off.  This is still within a price point the average person is willing to pay.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: July 27, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
Would be good. Still thinking $350 though.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
I would gladly pay $399.99 for the Wii U if it is as much of a power leap over the PS3 as the PS3 was over the PS2. But if the Wii U is just a PS3 or PS3.5 then $299.99 is too high, in my opinion.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3624 on: July 27, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
None of the next gen systems (including PS4 and Xbox 3) will be as big of a leap as PS3 was over PS2.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20