Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592807 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3475 on: June 14, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
I think Nintendo feels guilty giving out money hats, like its the sleazy way to do business. Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicals was a total money hat, but Yamauchi went about it in a weird way. He created a charity and a lone designer from square took the fund. The company was legally only with one employee.

So, what Nintendo should do in my opinion is have one of their old titles remade, one they could give a rats ass, pay for it, but call it a collaboration. Then its a win/win
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: June 14, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
I don't think Nintendo should give out money hats, because the moment they start doing that then EVERY third party is going to start demanding it.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: June 14, 2012, 03:25:39 PM »
Here is a great idea for a Wii U console stand:

• It hooks into the bottom of the console in a similar manner to the 64DD and Game Boy Player.
  • Storage slot for an internal 2.5" SATA HDD.
  • Cooling fans for both the console and HDD.
  • One single USB cord.
  • LED lights.
  • Three extra USB ports.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: June 14, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »
-In this long article Iwata wonders if Sony's and Microsoft's next visual leap will be all that noticeable? I remember hearing that back in the early wii days, and here we are. But now a'days I don't know, If the UE4 demo is anything to go by we still won't be seeing Toy Story just yet.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/e3/9328561/Satoru-Iwata-interview-Nintendo-rivals-are-already-copying-the-Wii-U.html
Have you watched the original Toy Story lately?  PS360 graphics pretty much beat it.  If you are talking about Toy Story 3, then yes, we are not there.  Toy Story 1 is showing its age pretty blatantly these days.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: June 14, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
Here is a great idea for a Wii U console stand:

• It hooks into the bottom of the console in a similar manner to the 64DD and Game Boy Player.
  • Storage slot for an internal 2.5" SATA HDD.
  • Cooling fans for both the console and HDD.
  • One single USB cord.
  • LED lights.
  • Three extra USB ports.

You forgot the most important one of all:

• Replaces the old Wii U logo with a new logo that says "Super Wii"
;)
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: June 14, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
Iwata's coffee table idea would be a better sell if this wasn't the era of PVRs, the internet, numerous other portable devices like laptops and smartphones, and multiple TVs in one house.  The TV is not the focal chokepoint of the household that it once was and it will be less and less of one in the years to come.

When I was a kid the "free up the living room" problem was solved by the videogame system being hooked up to some secondary TV in the kid's bedroom or the basement.  I knew very few people who had to fight with their parents to free up the TV for videogame time.  And these days I don't know anyone who doesn't have at least two TVs in the house.  This isn't the 50s.

Now Iwata is probably thinking that they brought the Wii into the living room so now family members have to fight for it, but a second TV still solves the problem.  This only addresses the stubborn "I want to watch TV and I DEMAND it be the main living room TV" attitude.  Maybe in Japan having only one TV is more typical but it really seems like a minor problem at best in North America.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3481 on: June 14, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
Ian Sane:  You are talking from a Western perspective.  Here in South Korea, most families only have one TV, and one central living area in there place where the family converges.  The same is most likely true in Japan. 

So yeah, where in the west we have spent more time and money on TV to the point we must have 2-4 tis in our houses...it isn't so in other countries.  Nor, should it be so.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: June 14, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »
Ian Sane:  You are talking from a Western perspective.  Here in South Korea, most families only have one TV, and one central living area in there place where the family converges.  The same is most likely true in Japan. 

So yeah, where in the west we have spent more time and money on TV to the point we must have 2-4 tis in our houses...it isn't so in other countries.  Nor, should it be so.

That's what I figure.  But Nintendo wants to sell this thing in the West as well.  The American market is over twice the size of Japan's.  If the big selling point really only applies to the Eastern market, that's some pretty narrow thinking on Nintendo's part.  If they want to be a worldwide company they can't do things based entirely on how things are in Japan.  I think that's a problem with Japanese companies in general.

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: June 14, 2012, 07:29:57 PM »
Did anyone else receive an email from Club Nintendo for a WiiU experience event?  I received one this afternoon for a Miami event in July, but the access code included didn't work.  I sent an email back, hoping the situation gets fixed, but am excited at the possibility I'll get my hands on the gamepad a few months early!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

That's what I figure.  But Nintendo wants to sell this thing in the West as well.  The American market is over twice the size of Japan's.  If the big selling point really only applies to the Eastern market, that's some pretty narrow thinking on Nintendo's part.  If they want to be a worldwide company they can't do things based entirely on how things are in Japan.  I think that's a problem with Japanese companies in general.
I think the concept works well enough as a family system to get western draw. It's not JUST the coffee table idea that is the draw- it's the gameplay mechanics, the connectivity, everything. Multiple accounts proves that a family aspect is being employed, and I think that most Wii U's will find themselves in the living room. That's not to say there won't be individual Wii U's floating around households, but its concept is very much computer-like, with the multiple accounts, ability to display a variety of media, and so forth. I don't think it's too narrow in its focus group.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: June 15, 2012, 12:37:48 AM »

Don't forget Europe. The average there must also be 1 TV per household.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: June 15, 2012, 01:25:01 AM »
THEY SHOULD PORT TOY STORY TO WII U WITH BETTER GRAPGHICVS
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: June 15, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
THEY SHOULD PORT TOY STORY TO WII U WITH BETTER GRAPGHICVS
This man's a genius.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:59 AM »
heck, half of the reason i havent played wii that much the last couple of years is I have a shitty small 20 something inch tv in my room, my wii is now hooked up in the living room to a real modern TV for netflix, yet i still have to battle with people for control of the tv. So its applicable here until i buy my own bigger tv.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: June 15, 2012, 07:08:45 AM »
heck, half of the reason i havent played wii that much the last couple of years is I have a shitty small 20 something inch tv in my room, my wii is now hooked up in the living room to a real modern TV for netflix, yet i still have to battle with people for control of the tv. So its applicable here until i buy my own bigger tv.

If you don't mind your TV being standard definition, you can get a really big sized TV for dirt cheap off craigslist or garage sales or flea markets. People who have upgraded to HD tvs tend to be more than happy to get rid of their old ones because they take up a lot of room. And since the Wii isn't even HD capable anyway you don't really gain much with an HD TV so the older ones will work well for that purpose.
is your sanity...

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3490 on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »

If you don't mind your TV being standard definition, you can get a really big sized TV for dirt cheap off craigslist or garage sales or flea markets. People who have upgraded to HD tvs tend to be more than happy to get rid of their old ones because they take up a lot of room. And since the Wii isn't even HD capable anyway you don't really gain much with an HD TV so the older ones will work well for that purpose.
Yeah, no kidding. I purposely took the Wii off my living room HDtv and plugged it up to my bedroom SDtv just to play Skyward Sword this past holiday. I wanted a clear, crisp picture while playing that game... and I got it. SS was gorgeous on that tv. Loved every second.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
 Would someone explainto me what exactly makes a moneyhat? Nintendo says they wont do it but wouldn't dragon quest and Monster Hunter fall under that umbrella.

So has the Japan event happened yet?
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: June 15, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
A moneyhat is when a platform holder pays for the exclusivity of a title. I haven't heard anything that would make Dragon Quest fall under that term; I suppose you could make he argument that the Circle Pad Pro wouldn't exist if not for Monster Hunter coming to 3DS, but I don't think that's in the same league as most of the things you'd talk about pertaining to moneyhats.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: June 15, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
Was under the impression that unintended had something to do with every Monterrey hunter game hitting nintendo systems this/last gen.

I don't mind moneyhats or paying for exclusive content. Some people may see ot as seedy but I see ot as taking care of your platform. It took aneroid a while to get a lot ofthord party apps that ios was getting and now thats kind of evened out more closely. But windows phone got a lot of popular apps because Microsoft was willing to pay for them and the same thing seems to be happening with windows 8 all store.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: June 15, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
Monster Hunter being on Nintendo platforms has more to do with sales and hardware capabilities.

I wouldn't necessarily be against Nintendo doing a bit of it, but I see why they choose not to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: June 15, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
Just makes me sad there wont be an HD monster Hunter :(.

But I understand why they don't want to do it. They seem to be about building up partnerships more often. That and Im sure they understand they can't out bid Microsoft at least.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: June 15, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
I don't think you'll ever see Nintendo doing much in the way of moneyhats.

You have to understand how video games got to where they are now.

Pre-Nintendo, the video game industry was really a "Wild West".  Once we reached a point where we had systems with swappable cartridges, a few companies built systems (Namely, Atari, Mattel and the Colorado Leather Company).  For the most part, these companies made all of the games for their own system (via what we would now call First or Second parties).

However, things were different back then - there was no proprietary software, no lock outs (well, the Intellivsion II had an interesting trick, just ask if you want to know!), nothing.  Any garage developer could create a game and, if they could find a chip manufacturer, have carts made up and sold.

This was the grand-father to "Third Party" idea... though, it's more akin to "Unlicensed" than anything.  It was an interesting age - Atari made games for Mattel's system.  Mattel made games for Atari and Coleco's system.  Coleco made games for Mattel's and Atari's system.  Hey, if you didn't buy our system, we're STILL going to sell you games.

As you know, the industry crashed - and burned - hard.  Hard enough that Toys R Us actually changed the lyrics to their theme song to remove "video games".

As legend has it, Nintendo came in - and like a bright, shining star of hope, they reinvented the industry.

Supposedly, one of the major reasons for the crash was all of this "unlicensed" software (mind you, Atari is responsible for both ET and the 2600 port of Pac-Man, two games which had a lot to do with tanking the industry - but that was more due to Atari mis-management than anything.)...  the unlicensed software just wasn't considered up to standards, there was too much of it and the industry folded.  Or so they say.  I have to say, Activision (the real Activision, not the company we "enjoy" today) had some pretty awesome stuff on the Intellivision.

Anywhoo, Nintendo said **** this.  When they introduced the NES world-wide, they put the now-infamous lock chip (the 10NES) in the system... and they controlled the key.  With few exceptions, in order to release games for the NES, you had to become a licensed developer and have all your stuff approved by Nintendo (Seal of Quality).

This meant paying Nintendo money.

Before, we had companies making software for competing systems.  Now, we have Nintendo charging anyone for the privilege of making games on their system.  The entire licensing structure (for better or worse) that we have today is completely the brain child of Nintendo.

As we all know, Nintendo isn't exactly the most adaptable to change.  Two generations later, they're still trying to push connectivity dual-screen gaming.  You know how after E3, everyone was all "Why didn't Nintendo show their online plans?!?"  I wouldn't be surprised if Iwata was reading these comments, thinking "What are they talking about?  We showed Miiverse!"* - completely removed from the fact that most gamers want more.

So, the idea of Nintendo going from a company that charges you for the privilege of making software on their system to a company that gives out money to get you to make games for them?

Short of very few, unique, isolated cases, don't count on it.

*Imagine Iwata ranting about this in a stereotypical Jewish accent.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:03:28 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: June 15, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »

But I understand why they don't want to do it. They seem to be about building up partnerships more often. That and Im sure they understand they can't out bid Microsoft at least.
They don't want to do HD Monster Hunter? I needs a quote...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »
I would see Nintendo lessening your developer burden.  Charge you less in licensing, allow you access to some of there human assets, etc. instead of just giving you a check.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: June 15, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »

They don't want to do HD Monster Hunter? I needs a quote...
I believe they are actually working on an HD upgrade of Monster Hunter Tri.  Maybe he thinks that because they are only doing an HD upgrade, they aren't planning to do a proper PS3/Wii U Monster Hunter.