Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592739 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3450 on: June 13, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
Also, I disagree with your assumption of Sega. I think they would have been just fine. The main reason they fell apart was because of trying to fend of Sony. The PS2 destroyed any hope left in Sega. Dreamcast was doomed because of it.
Wouldn't Sega still have to fend off a stronger Nintendo and a less dominant Sony? The issue of their poor management doesn't necessarily change here.
No, I didn't miss that "as for the rest of your post, I disagree" which was a cheap way of dismissing what was a really lengthy post where I thought I made some really good points.

Its no biggie though... I just thought it was funny because then you call me out on doing it today which I thought was hypocritical. :)
How did I dismiss your post when I acknowledged that I read it then addressed it? Did you even read the rest of that post?

And I called you out because your history lesson on Square and Nintendo's relationship had so little to do with the rest of the post that it implies you didn't read the rest of it. Then, you picked a post claiming hypocrisy, but it's not the same thing. If my response to you in the other thread wasn't satisfactory or you wanted me to elaborate, you could have asked, but you didn't. Don't come back here and call me out on something when you didn't ask for clarification. I don't care if you don't read my posts so long as you don't complain about it later.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: June 13, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
If Nintendo went with the original PlayStation deal, then of course SEGA would have at least survived the 2001 era of consoles, since Nintendo would have been their only competition.

What about 3DO and Atari? Historically they were driven out of business, but if the Playstation had never existed their fates might have been different too.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: June 13, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
Didn't they fail before the PS1 came out? Or am I remembering things wrong?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
Many fans were hyped about Saturn, but Playstation took its wind away by having better games. Remember, there used to be a time with Sega fanboys. I hate to make a semi-political-historical reference as an allagory: but Iran wasn't terribly powerful until Iraq's Baath regime fell. There was a power vacuum and this is why Iran is doing much better today. The same would be said with Sega, a powerful Nintendo would have made Sony less powerfull, but would have benefited Sega. Ultimately Sony was a bigger enemy than Nintendo was. 2 clichés go: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and "keep your friends close and your enemies closer". Sega and Nintendo "had" similar game design philosophy so it was mutually beneficial when it was just the two of them. The same goes for WCW and WWF. WWF had much better product when they were competing with WCW. Now theres just WWE......it doesnt even roll off the tongue.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:29:06 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: June 13, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
Didn't they fail before the PS1 came out? Or am I remembering things wrong?

They both failed somewhere around 1996-1997, so that was like a year or two after the PS1 came out. I'm not sure how much of a role the PS1 played in their demise... truth be told they probably would have died regardless, but who knows?
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: June 13, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Saturn came out a year earlier than the PS1, but the Saturn started at $399. PS1 came out at $299.  Sega was already losing money at the $399 price due to adding an additional CPU to try and combat the graphics of the PS1.  Sega was not prepared for the 3D era and as a result, the Saturn pretty much flopped.  It was possibly the hardest system to program for in history (it's actually still one of the hardest systems to emulate on a pc).  Sega shot themselves in the foot beforehand.  They reacted to Sony and in a bad way and it cost them.  They were out of the race before FF7 was announced and before the N64 was released.  The N64 was their final nail.  In fact, if the PS1 never existed, the N64 would have crushed the Saturn because the Saturn would have been only marginally more powerful than the SegaCD.

Of course, there's a chance that if the PS1 didn't exist, the Saturn would not have been rushed to market and may have had specs closer to the N64 as they would have had at least another year of development before releasing it.

Revisionist history is hard to do.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: June 13, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
If neither the Saturn nor PS1 had been on the market it would have been a power vacuum which the 3D0 and Jaguar would have grown to fill.
is your sanity...

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: June 13, 2012, 03:16:32 PM »
The Sega Saturn was always doomed to fail because the American and Japanese branches of Sega hated each other and created a huge internal clusterf*ck in the company.  Seriously, anyone that hasn't read about the way Sega was managed during the 90's needs to because it'll show just how terrible the people running Sega were and how the management was beyond incompetent.

This is why once again, the only thing that killed Sega was Sega themselves.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
News incoming!
« Reply #3458 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/39220/iwata-miyamoto-working-on-nintendos-traditional-franchise-games-for-wii-u/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=ONM-General-RSS
-Iwata say's Nintendo's traditional titles are in development as well as new ones. They only wanted to show launch window games, and of course because of fear of the new game ideas being stolen. It's a good read.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353593/iwata-xbox-smartglass-offers-a-small-facet-of-wii-u-capabilities/?
-Iwata Say's Smart Glass can not do what the Upad can because of a lack of sticks and buttons. Anyone who say's other wise is a dope.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a386958/wii-u-nintendo-to-announce-more-features-leading-up-to-launch.html
-More features from the Wii U have not yet been revealed.

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/06/nintendo-wii-u-e3/
-Download your games and play them on any Wii U system since it's all account based. NICE!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/07/reality-pumps-sacrilegium-takes-survival-horror-to-modern-roman/
-Sacrilegium is coming to Wii U. Don't know what this game is, but chalk another one up for Wii U!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/zelda-3ds-its-majoras-mask-vs-link-to-the-past
-Link to the Past or Majoras Mask remake for 3DS? I prefer neither, I want a sequel to one or the other, like a game in those styles.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:19:37 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: June 13, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
I've been checking this topic every four minutes or so, just to see what else you've updated in your post, Cater. God, I'm enjoying pre-launch so much, all these news stories are getting me more and more hyped.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: June 13, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
I wonder what they could be. I doubt it's something like DVD/Blu Ray playback. If it was super-important or game changing, I don't know why they wouldn't just reveal it at E3.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: June 13, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
By the way- Sequel/remake of Link to the Past. PLEASE, Miyamoto.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: June 13, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Most of us would probably prefer a brand new Zelda but if a remake on 3DS between those 2 is the option here, I'd rather it be Majora's Mask. It would benefit more if Ocarina of Time 3D is anything to go by. Like I said in the Talkback thread, I'd rather A Link to the Past be remade on Wii U with HD sprites if it were to be remade at all.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: June 13, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
I would just hope that Majora's Mask would be a REMAKE, not a port. I've played Ocarina of Time on so many damn consoles I don't ever want to do it again- and it's a REALLY good game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: June 13, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
I'm not sure if Ocarina of Time 3D was even a complete from-the-ground-up remake. Besides 3D, it looked like Grezzo mainly cleaned up the textures and added touch screen support. If you look at the character models, they don't have individual fingers, not even Link and Zelda. If we get a Majora's Mask 3D, I expect the same treatment. It's not bad, but I wouldn't call it a full remake as it's more of a remaster.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3465 on: June 13, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
Also, I disagree with your assumption of Sega. I think they would have been just fine. The main reason they fell apart was because of trying to fend of Sony. The PS2 destroyed any hope left in Sega. Dreamcast was doomed because of it.
Wouldn't Sega still have to fend off a stronger Nintendo and a less dominant Sony? The issue of their poor management doesn't necessarily change here.
Not necessarily. Sega was always considered the cooler of the two companies here in America. Sega would have excelled in the sports genre and high profile action games, and Nintendo would have kept doing its Nintendo thing -- all the while still throwing slurs toward one another... it'd be great! :D

Man, I miss those days. Microsoft and Sony fanboys are idiots. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3466 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a386958/wii-u-nintendo-to-announce-more-features-leading-up-to-launch.html

I'm really wondering what it could be. The Game Pad is already pretty packed with features. It's not like they can still add a speaker to the thing like they did with the WiiMote. Other than internal storage and DVD/Blu-Ray, I can't think of anything they could announce.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: June 13, 2012, 10:20:26 PM »
The major feature is that it will be compatible with Xbox 360 Smart Glass.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: June 13, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
The major feature is that it will be compatible with Xbox 360 Smart Glass.

Now we will have multi-touch, triple screened gaming and portable wireless storage.
It will be great.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: June 13, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »

I'm really wondering what it could be. The Game Pad is already pretty packed with features. It's not like they can still add a speaker to the thing like they did with the WiiMote. Other than internal storage and DVD/Blu-Ray, I can't think of anything they could announce.

Here are some more possible features:

• Gamecube and Dreamcast on Virtual Console.
  • Steam and Origins online features.
Metal Gear Solid was originially a Saturn game, but the financial losses from developing for the systme cause Konami to port development assets to the PS1 instead.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: June 14, 2012, 12:18:50 AM »
The Sega Saturn was always doomed to fail because the American and Japanese branches of Sega hated each other and created a huge internal clusterf*ck in the company.  Seriously, anyone that hasn't read about the way Sega was managed during the 90's needs to because it'll show just how terrible the people running Sega were and how the management was beyond incompetent.

This is why once again, the only thing that killed Sega was Sega themselves.

All of that may be true, but if there had been no competition and the Saturn had launched in a vacuum it would have won by default, regardless of all other factors.
is your sanity...

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »
But Chozo the 3DO and Jaguar were as flawed as the Saturn, Jaguar had the crazy ass controller no one liked and 3DO it was the case it didn't have the games and it had an insane entry price($600/$500 right?). I suppose you could theorize that developers that flocked to Sony would have went with Atari or 3DO but history would suggest that they would have stuck with Nintendo and Sega. Hudson and SNK had already tried prior to 3DO and the Jaguar to enter the console market and they ultimately failed. Sony were a special case, they were at the right place at the right time and had the right hardware engineers to make the Playstation.

In regards to the 3DS remake of LTTP or Majora's Mask wouldn't logic dictate that Grezzo could reuse assests from OoT3D while Anouma's team makes an original Zelda 3ds?
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
More News Ahoy!
« Reply #3472 on: June 14, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »
Sorry i've figured out how to place the links in individual words, but sometimes it just doesn't work after I copy the link from another site.

- Nintendo won't bid for 3rd party exclusives. They don't want to get in a price war with guys like Microsoft. If a 3rd party has an idea that can only be done on Wii U, then maybe there will be a great collaboration between the 2 companies.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/iwata-won-t-bid-for-wii-u-exclusivity-deals/097924?

-In this long article Iwata wonders if Sony's and Microsoft's next visual leap will be all that noticeable? I remember hearing that back in the early wii days, and here we are. But now a'days I don't know, If the UE4 demo is anything to go by we still won't be seeing Toy Story just yet.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/e3/9328561/Satoru-Iwata-interview-Nintendo-rivals-are-already-copying-the-Wii-U.html

-Nintendo admits this has not been one of their better E3's. This might be on the front page, but I don't think so. Another pretty good read.
http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/nsmb_mii/news/nintendos_david_yarnton_on_why_the_wii_u_will_be_on_every_coffee_table.html

-Also the whole idea behind Wii U was almost done away with because of potential cost issues to the costumer.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/14/iwata-wii-u-idea-was-almost-scrapped-over-price-concerns/?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
- Nintendo won't bid for 3rd party exclusives. They don't want to get in a price war with guys like Microsoft. If a 3rd party has an idea that can only be done on Wii U, then maybe there will be a great collaboration between the 2 companies.

This is why Nintendo cannot get the third party support so many desire.  Nintendo doesn't give out moneyhats.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
The idea of putting a Wii U on a Coffee table is absurd...

Part of the thing with the control pad is, say the kids are at home playing a game and Dad comes home. Normally what would happen is they have to get off the TV because Dad wants to watch the news, and they go off somewhere else. But with the Wii U, he can come home and the kids can either use the control pad to continue playing the game, or Dad can use the control pad to watch the news. To me, it makes it something that will be on the coffee table in every home.

Probably the most interesting bit in that article.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:07:23 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.