Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592710 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3300 on: June 07, 2012, 12:08:11 AM »
Iwata and Reggie last year touted that Wii U would be an "AND console", but it seems like people are not getting all the content.

On the other hand the Holiday season is going to be Pikmin 3 and Zombi U, but there should be more than just that.  Yes i know there are other titles, but they all seem like B grade titles. Someone could make the argument that dev kits were not out so nobody could make Wii U games, thats bullshit. If Wii U was launching against Xbox 360 or PS3 id buy a 360. Actually if Wii U was launching against Wii I probably would get the Wii instead.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: June 07, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »
I found this on GoNintendo:

Quote from: ddddd
Quote from: KingBroly

Apparently there's going to be another conference later this summer to confirm more games. I'm guessing this was a 'thank you for getting behind from the get go' sorta week.Still...incredibly stupid.

Aha, got this from Gaf (dude is a dev for those who dont know)
Nintendo will have another big Wii U confernece before launch to detail a ton of stuff. I call it Summer Conference because I'm guessing late August / early September for it

Why do people on NeoGAF have to spoil everything? Don't they know what NDA's mean?
God, I hope this is true. That at least gives me hope that there will be more content in the months after launch. Give me a little variety, will you? Two platformers, a zombie shooter, and Pikmin are hardly the kind of quality I'm expecting from launch and beyond.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:25 AM »
I talked to a higher up from Retro today. Nice long conversation. He would not tell me anything! But apparently no one from the company said "We are making a game that everyone wants us to do." Not sure what the exact quote is, but he assured me no hints have gone out. He laughed very heartily about Metroid X Star Fox. And about Metroid in general, he said they had 4 Metroid projects in a row and they were glad to do different things. They are NOT working on any Metroid games right now.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: June 07, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
I just read a Time magazine article that mentioned Wii U only has 8GB of flash storage. Was this ever confirmed? I haven't read it anywhere else.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
As I stated in the other thread (No idea how that post turned into an essay) I am actually growing to like the launch line up, possible because my PC needs an upgrade and I don't have a HD console. I don't see why people except a massive launch title at launch. The Wii was very lucky, if it hadn't got a port of TP people would have been raging, they would have been left with Excite Truck, Wii Sports and Wii Play from Nintendo. Going further back the Gamecube launch was hardly inspiring, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and later Pikmin. Factoring in that games take longer to produce it's no wonder there is no 'megaton' at launch. The closest is Pikmin, which is a Wii game that got stuck in development hell.

The Third Party support is the best a Nintendo launch has ever had, though half the games are ports. Nintendo must have games in progress that will release mid and late 2013, they aren't going to let a software drought occur right after launch like the 3DS. This E3 for better or worse Nintendo decided to focus on the games releasing during the launch window, first and third party games included. No idea why they didn't announce EA sports games considering Riccitiello was sitting in the front row. Seems that either they abandoned Nintendo for Smartglass or they aren't coming until 2013. I don't think the WiiU will win this generation but the ride will be interesting and I doubt it will be a commercial failure like the Gamecube, perhaps it will emulate the moderate success of the 64.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm gonna go talk to EA today and try to find out whats up with all the talk and no walk when it comes to wii u @ E3 this year.

I talked to Capcom yesterday and got to play all their games. I put in a good word for DMC and the HD collectionwith the producer of the game, and of course talked about RE6 for Wii U.... I can't talk about that conversation, so I'll just stick by what I've already said. But I did manage snag a Capcom water bottle from their area while I was in there, and one for Caterkiller too.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: June 07, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
Also where's Super Monkey Ball? I can't imagine Sega is in so much strife that they can't make one. They have had a version on every Nintendo console at launch since the Gamecube.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: June 07, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »
I talked with several Nintendo guys demoing Mario, I suggested to them the option of only using buttons to pick things up and use certain abilities. I was told they give feedback to the developers. Just trying to help out the Iansanes out there.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: June 07, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
"The Third Party support is the best a Nintendo launch has ever had, though half the games are ports."

No Square/Enix, Activision, and only one EA game?  Ubisoft seems to be the only one supporting the console but still even some of it's bigger showcase titles where a no show or not getting ported (IE Ghost Recon Online was a no show, games like Far Cry 3 or Splinter Cell weren't announced, hell even the new reveal Watch Dogs wasn't mentioned).

Not sure what nintendo was thinking?  Or did they just assumed developers were going jump on board? 

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #3309 on: June 07, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
I just read a Time magazine article that mentioned Wii U only has 8GB of flash storage. Was this ever confirmed? I haven't read it anywhere else.
There was a neogaf post that had the supposed spec of the final dev kits, the spec sheet just list flash memory. But the list on neogaf lists 8GB.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: June 07, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »
You seem to want Nintendo to make an Xbox 360 and do things the way that Microsoft does things despite the fact that Nintendo would never ever be able to do the things that Microsoft did to get where they are. You say things like "Nintendo changed" but so did you. Your tastes changed. You grew up and Nintendo didn't grow up alongside you. You still like Nintendo but they can't, won't or don't want to be who you want them to be.

I don't want a Nintendo 360, I want like the modern equivalent of a Super Nintendo.  I want a Nintendo system that offers great ambitious first party games that push the standards of videogame design forward, with healthy third party support where you just assume any new game is coming to the system unless stated otherwise, and industry standard features and options that one would expect from a modern console.  Nintendo drifted away from that with the N64 and seemingly gave up any interest in pursuing this with the Wii.

I don't feel I've changed much because when I go back and play pre-Wii Nintendo games I have a blast.  When I play a Wii game with no stupid wiggle-waggle that doesn't intentionally dumb itself down, like Xenoblade, I have a fucking blast.  And when I play PS3 games I almost always feel like there is something missing because they don't have that Nintendo polish.  If I changed it suggests that I would have loved Wii Sports in the past but only don't now.  I might have liked Wii Sports when I was like five, but would not have liked it in my teens or early 20's and yet Nintendo consistently made games that appealed to me then.  It isn't like I've outgrown the older Nintendo titles.  That has happened with some movies, TV shows, songs, books and videogames from my youth.  Those are the ones where nostalgia is involved.  But there is also stuff from my youth I can check out at 30 and still enjoy it and that is the stuff that holds up.  Nintendo's pre-Wii output has held up REALLY well.

And Nintendo did say they wanted core gamers back with the Wii U.  If they want to just put all their eggs in the casual basket, fine.  I don't like it because who would like it if a company they supported for years just told them they don't want their business anymore.  But that's not their plan.  So if they want to make the Wii U an "and console" and include me as the target market, they need to shape up because they have become less and less in touch with core gamers with each generation.  They made a big shake-up with the Wii and I'm saying that to attract core gamers a similar shake-up is needed.  I've never suggested they should have just done the Gamecube again with the Wii (which ironically IS what they did).  I always suggested a big change to their approach.  They changed in a different way that I did not care for but I was still calling for some change.  I want the Nintendo of ten years ago without the bizzare instinct to shoot themselves in the foot and screw up routine stuff that any idiot can get right.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: June 07, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
im just concerned about the same tricks Nintendo has been pulling for years. Nintendo has weaknesses that they don't address. OR they say they will address and like a junkie it continues to be a problem.

over the years I fall for the hype every once in a while, and it just seems like its a big con. I've been too burned in the past to believe everything they say. Im not the culty fanboy I was when I was 14-24. Nintendo does some good things, but they still have **** they need to get together that they've been saying they were going to get together for years. Nintendo talks about bieng an "AND" company, well lets see it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
Couldn't find a dedicated Miiverse thread so I'll put this here.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts
Messages posted to Miiverse, Nintendo's suite of Wii U social functions, could face a delay of around 30 minutes to appear.
This is because the social networking service will be actively moderated by Nintendo-employed "human resources" personnel.
Each message posted to Miiverse, displayed on the Wii U desktop and in specific areas in Wii U software, will need to be read and verified before it becomes visible.
Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said he thought a delay of half an hour when posting messages was fine.
"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.
"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."
But even this estimate is subject to change, depending on how many people are trying to use the service and the number of Nintendo staff available to read through messages.
Each post will be automatically screened by a computer first, presumably to remove any obvious swears. Users will also be able to flag up any comments/penis pictures that get through the other filters.

Nintendo Nintendo-ing it again by simultaneously making a neat idea useless (by removing immediacy) and an invasion of privacy.

If Nintendo is still worrying about the children (or the parents of children), then there should be a friends-only filter lock rather than EVERY Miiverse message being passed through a human censor.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
Actually if Wii U was launching against Wii I probably would get the Wii instead.

Oh come on, do you even remember the Wii's launch lineup?

Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports

The majority of the Wii's launch lineup was crap shovelware and out of the three games Nintendo released, one was a port of a Gamecube game.  The Wii U might have lots of 360/PS3 ports, but at least they're port of good games for once.  Plus NSMB U and Pikmin 3 are much stronger titles then Twilight Princess and Exite Trucks were.  Hell, I'd even argue that Nintendo Land looks like a much better game then the original Wii Sports did as well.

It's one thing for people to be disappointed by Nintendo's lack of game announcements but the Wii U's launch lineup is already looking to be much stronger then the Wii's was.  To say other wise is just getting ridiculous unless you really love to buy terrible shovelware for some reason.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
I talked to a higher up from Retro today.

Sure you did. No one at any game company (especially if they are that high up) is going to disclose what they are or aren't working on. They'll simply say "We don't comment on speculation".
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: June 07, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »
"The Third Party support is the best a Nintendo launch has ever had, though half the games are ports."

No Square/Enix, Activision, and only one EA game?  Ubisoft seems to be the only one supporting the console but still even some of it's bigger showcase titles where a no show or not getting ported (IE Ghost Recon Online was a no show, games like Far Cry 3 or Splinter Cell weren't announced, hell even the new reveal Watch Dogs wasn't mentioned).

Not sure what nintendo was thinking?  Or did they just assumed developers were going jump on board? 
Looks like it's at least 2 games from EA as they have Madden and FIFA coming this year.  At least according to the NWR Front page.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
Looks like it's at least 2 games from EA as they have Madden and FIFA coming this year.  At least according to the NWR Front page.

Well then that makes 3 games. Mass Effect 3, Madden, FIFIA.

If we get Dead Space, then that's a plus.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

Sure you did. No one at any game company (especially if they are that high up) is going to disclose what they are or aren't working on. They'll simply say "We don't comment on speculation".
Why are you acting like you think he's a liar?  Caterkiller has never shown any sign that he is not trustworthy. 

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:44 PM »

Why are you acting like you think he's a liar?  Caterkiller has never shown any sign that he is not trustworthy.

Because why would he brag about talking to a higher-up at a major game studio? Seems suspicious.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3319 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:05 PM »
Because why would he brag about talking to a higher-up at a major game studio?

Just read that out loud to yourself. A couple of times if you have to.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: June 07, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports

In the launch window I remember also bought:

Metal Slug Anthology
Farcry
Elebits
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »

Because why would he brag about talking to a higher-up at a major game studio? Seems suspicious.
Ummm, if you spoke with a higher-up at a major game studio, would you keep it quiet and never tell a soul?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: June 07, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »

Quiet you! I'm at E3 with Blackmild right now and just finished shaking hands with Reggie. I know for you these things seem almost magical, but I live in LA, love Nintendo, and do my best to make things happen.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
Couldn't find a dedicated Miiverse thread so I'll put this here.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts
Messages posted to Miiverse, Nintendo's suite of Wii U social functions, could face a delay of around 30 minutes to appear.
This is because the social networking service will be actively moderated by Nintendo-employed "human resources" personnel.
Each message posted to Miiverse, displayed on the Wii U desktop and in specific areas in Wii U software, will need to be read and verified before it becomes visible.
Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said he thought a delay of half an hour when posting messages was fine.
"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.
"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."
But even this estimate is subject to change, depending on how many people are trying to use the service and the number of Nintendo staff available to read through messages.
Each post will be automatically screened by a computer first, presumably to remove any obvious swears. Users will also be able to flag up any comments/penis pictures that get through the other filters.

Nintendo Nintendo-ing it again by simultaneously making a neat idea useless (by removing immediacy) and an invasion of privacy.

If Nintendo is still worrying about the children (or the parents of children), then there should be a friends-only filter lock rather than EVERY Miiverse message being passed through a human censor.

Cracked has an article about Nintendo that talks about Miiverse a lot at http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-we-know-nintendo-has-lost-its-mind/  It's supposed to be kind of funny but it makes some interesting points.

I really question who would want Miiverse.  I get the appeal of having my friends comments show up, but just a big blob of strangers' comments?  Does Nintendo never, like, go on the internet?  The second strangers are involved all sorts of bad and offensive language is flying.  So you hire people to police the Miiverse?  That's not cheap.  Wouldn't it be easier to make this more private?  Is the appeal of a bunch of random douchebags making dumb comments so great to justify hiring a whole staff of people to moderate every single message that goes out?  And if there's a big delay in messages, what is the point?  It comes across as the company that pretends they invent everything, wanting to invent Facebook so they invent the goofy Nintendo Facebook that can't work exactly like Facebook because then it isn't Nintendo's "brilliant" idea.

I'm not even on Facebook and I get pissed when the phone rings while I'm playing a game so this isn't for me.  But I don't even see the theoretical appeal.  Who wants random people barking at them all the time?

If I'm running a company and they say "well we're hire a bunch of people to moderate every single message that goes through" I'm stopping them right there and telling them to do it some other way.  That is just an idiotic expense.  It's either too expensive or is so understaffed that it ruins the functionality of the feature.  And for basically a big forum for every Wii U user?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: June 07, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
I get pissed when the phone rings while I'm playing a game

Then don't play games on your phone. That's what an iPod Touch, DS, 3DS, PSP, and Vita are for.

I don't think Miiverse is going to interrupt your game playing with a bunch of text bubbles. It's more like a background app that appears when you want it to.