Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592717 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3225 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
I would actually like to see Ocarina of Time 3D (without the 3D) in HD on the Wii U eShop, and eventually Majora's Mask HD.

Which type of "HD" do you mean? "Remake" or "Remaster"?

Remaster
- A simple port that just has an upgraded resolution and/or a few new features (like the PS2 remasters for PS3, Metal Gear Solid 3D, "New Play Control" games, etc.). In other words, same game, better resolution.

Remake
- A game that is rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of new hardware (like Super Mario All-Stars, Bionic Commando ReArmed, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:40:59 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: May 24, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
A remastered version of Ocarina of Time for the 3DS with HD visuals since it would be available for the Wii U eShop. It could use the tablet controller the same way it uses the touchscreen on the 3DS. It would make the water temple so much easier.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3227 on: May 25, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
For anyone who frequents the site, Nintendo has set up the official Facebook page for Wii U:

http://www.facebook.com/WiiU

So, a few observations:
1. It seems they're sticking with Wii U as the name, much to the chagrin of many.
2. The cover picture of a vault that apparently has a D-pad, circle pads, and a 3DS camera is causing a bit of a stir.
3. The welcome video from Reggie features awesome statues and a #Regginator tag for Twitter.
4. All of this social media push for Wii U could be implying some new apps announced for the system...?
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
For anyone who frequents the site, Nintendo has set up the official Facebook page for Wii U:

http://www.facebook.com/WiiU

So, a few observations:
1. It seems they're sticking with Wii U as the name, much to the chagrin of many.
2. The cover picture of a vault that apparently has a D-pad, circle pads, and a 3DS camera is causing a bit of a stir.
3. The welcome video from Reggie features awesome statues and a #Regginator tag for Twitter.
4. All of this social media push for Wii U could be implying some new apps announced for the system...?

Nintendo could have social apps that are cross-compatible between the 3DS and Wii U. "Find Mii" could be more fleshed out on the Wii U, and you could use Mii's that you StreetPassed with using the 3DS.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:35:24 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: May 25, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »
Yeah, I think this pretty much settles the name. I suppose they could still change it because changing your name on Facebook isn't terribly difficult. However, the timing is important here. Nintendo waited pretty close to E3 to create this page when they could have waited until after a name change.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: May 25, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »
I think secretly this page is indicating a back d-pad and camera with 4 back Circlepads.  That is the true secret of the controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: May 25, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
I suppose they could still change it because changing your name on Facebook isn't terribly difficult.

That's actually not true for something like this. If you have a fan page with more than 100 fans Facebook won't let you change the name of it. My college recently changed its name and they had to make a new Facebook page because of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3232 on: May 25, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
I'm sure a company like Nintendo has a direct line to Facebook. Still, this is cementing the name with the populace.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Wii U is Powerful...
« Reply #3233 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »
Gearbox (Aliens: Colonial Marines) Talks Wii U
It's a Powerful, Powerful Machine.... however we can't talk specs
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-wii-u-aliens-colonial-marines-is-best-looking-version-because-of-consoles-more-modern-tech

"[Creating the Wii U version] has been pretty easy," he told Eurogamer. "The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things. And so the game itself, moving it over to work on the Wii U was not much of a chore.
"Now the interesting thing is finding out all the cool ways you can use the controller to do new stuff with it. You can imagine all the cool things we can do, with this franchise and having a thing with you, right?"

"You can imagine some cool features, for sure," Burleson said. "It's not hard to imagine some cool features."
The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."

But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".

How, exactly, will it be better? "You'll have to wait and see," Burleson teased. "Just trust me on that one."

Now stop believing all the random "anonymous" developers that tell you otherwise.
Nintendo would have to actually try to make the Wii U less powerful than the 7 year old PS360 tech
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:08:56 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
Re: Wii U is Powerful...
« Reply #3234 on: May 25, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »

Now stop believing all the random "anonymous" developers that tell you otherwise.
Nintendo would have to actually try to make the Wii U less powerful than the 7 year old PS360 tech

They did that with the first Wii...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3235 on: May 25, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »
That was more like 5 years.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3236 on: May 26, 2012, 12:48:43 AM »
No, the Wii was not less powerful than the previous generation, just not much more powerful.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: May 26, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »
No, the Wii was not less powerful than the previous generation, just not much more powerful.

It was barely more powerful than a GameCube and Xbox 1 taped together.

And if you want Nintendo to really look bad, the DS was barely more powerful than a PS1; it displayed the same pixelated jaggy 3D polygonal graphics.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:59:15 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3238 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Are you really comparing a DS...which is a portable touch screen system to a PS1 home console. 

Actually the DS could do some things better and some things worse...but please, don't compare the two vastly different markets. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: May 26, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
if i were to say...DS is somewhere between Playstation and Dreamcast
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3240 on: May 26, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
And if you want Nintendo to really look bad, the DS was barely more powerful than a PS1; it displayed the same pixelated jaggy 3D polygonal graphics.

They had to tone it down so it could play games and simultaneously print money.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: May 26, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
if i were to say...DS is somewhere between Playstation and Dreamcast

DS is nowhere near a Dreamcast. More like a PS1 / N64.

PSP was very close to a PS2, Vita is between Xbox 1 and PS3, and 3DS is between a GameCube and Wii (with better shading).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: May 26, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
I don't remember if this was confirmed or not before, but Metro: Last Light is definitely coming to Wii U in 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRv_BR6XdA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: May 26, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »
All the cool Wii U games got delayed. Is the Wii U going to launch dry like the 3DS?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
But haven't there been several sources that emphasized how strong the Wii U launch lineup is going to be. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, RUMORMONGERERS!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3245 on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »
I don't remember if this was confirmed or not before, but Metro: Last Light is definitely coming to Wii U in 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRv_BR6XdA

The game was already confirmed as a 2013 release anyways, so no news there. It was the main reason those Blockbuster and Amazon "launch" lists were BS, since they listed the game.

Fzeroboyo, I think the number of people who hate the Wii U name are in the minority. They are just more vocal than the people who like it or don't care either way.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: May 27, 2012, 05:44:38 AM »
I just went back through my blog posts for the last year just to try and track my own thoughts and opinions of the Wii U since it was formally announced last year. I had thought by this point we would have more info on the system and that many of these ideas would be debunked, but to be honest nothing much has changed in terms of what we know. Check this post out. Those sections bracketed with 'Original Suggestion' were written by myself prior to E3 2011. The sections titled 'Revision' were written a few weeks after E3 2011.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Post from June 22, 2011)
 Several weeks have passed since my last post, in which I was full of excitement for the potential applications of what was then labelled the 'Cafe Controller'. Three days later we were formally introduced to the Wii U ('is it unique? Unifying? Maybe even Utopian?' - Reggie Fils-Aime). In the wake of that unveiling and the news stories surrounding it I have had to reassess the likelihood of  some of my more lofty suggestions and therefore thought it prudent to revisit these concepts in light of this new information. 

Super Mario (Original Suggestion) -  Some of the best moments in Super Mario Galaxy 2 were those sections  where you dropped down one of those infamous mushroom kingdom pipes and  found yourself on the other end playing a classic 2-D Mario level. What  made these sections so cool was that one minute you could be flying in  3D space around a spherical planet and the next you would be jumping and  hopping on a 2D plain as if the last 20 years of video game  developement had never happened. It was great. So why not build upon and  emphasise this concept by having those 2D portions put on the Cafe  controller screen? You could even have simultaneous play on both screens  ala Bower's Inside Story. It's true that this style of game play was  seen on the DS and is likely to be seen on the 3DS, but if Project Cafe  is (as is reported) more powerful than any of the home consoles  currently on the market then the scope afforded to this sort of game  would be significantly expanded.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

• Post E3 Verdict - Still Possible[/b]

Revision - By and large I think this suggestion still holds water. If I were to make any amendments in light of what was shown at E3 I would perhaps stress the potential for multiplayer, as the majority of those 'proof of concept' demos shown had a strong focus on multiple players.

In the weeks following E3 Nintendo appear to have all but confirmed that they will not be focusing on any experiences which require multiple Wii U controllers. With that in mind, an idea I've been kicking around for how multiplayer might work for a 3D Mario game on Wii U is that while Player 1 is playing a 3D Mario game on the Wii U controller screen, other players are using Wii remotes (NES Style) to play a separate game on the television screen. This would allow for a co-operative experience in which Player 1 might be unable to reach a specific platform without the help of those other Players, who might, for instance, be playing a mini-game which causes the platform to raise or lower. Ok, so I'm no Miyamoto when it comes to game design, but you get the idea.

Metroid (Original Suggestion) - Metroid: Other M may not be the most loved in the series, but it  definitely had some cool and interesting ideas. One such idea was the  concept of shifting between the third and first person perspective.  Unfortunately this concept was hindered somewhat by Director Yoshiro  Sakamoto's decision to cram all of the required gameplay mechanics onto a  single Wii Remote (even refusing to utilise the nunchuck to provide an  optional alternative control scheme for those who desired it). This  choice had some pretty serious repurcussions for how the game played, as  it effectively meant that the player was forced to continually change  their grip on the Wii remote in order to point it at the screen. Enter  Project Cafe. Third Person action game on the main screen, first person  shooting with the touch screen on the controller. Problem solved.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

• Post E3 Verdict - More Likely

Revision - I feel that this idea has also remained valid. Knowing what I now know about the controller's built-in gyroscopes I would also add that holding the controller up to the television screen might provide quite an elegant solution for scanning environments. As good as the method for selecting visors was in Metroid Prime 3, this could be even better.

Pikmin (Original Suggestion) - Pikmin 2 was a fantastic game. It took the original lite strategy  elements of the original and expanded upon them in pretty much every  way. The final level of the original, for instance, required our plucky  protagonist Captain Olimar to move back and forth between several groups  of Pikmin, each of which were performing different tasks which had to  be timed in order to allow the other groups of pikmin to continue.  Pikmin 2 took this idea and ran with it thanks to the inclusion of  Captain Olimar's sidekick Louie. In Pikmin 2, therefore, the player was  tasked with switching between both characters as each led their own band  of Pikmin to perform various goals. Fun though it was, it did on  occasion feel overwhelming as it was often difficult to find your  bearings as the camera switched between the two locations. Having both  groups of Pikmin viewable at any one time, one group on the television  and another on the controller, would do much to mitigate this confusion.

***Bonus Idea - You can grow and tend to your Pikmin crop/farm on the controller  screen without the need to go back to base. Damn it I'm good.***

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Revision - As with several of my single-player focused suggestions this concept of being able to monitor two separate groups of Pikmin remains feasible. The majority of video game media outlets have reported that the screen on the Wii U controller was of sufficiently high quality that moving between a High Def screen and the controller screen was not jarring. If anything, this, coupled with the rather quiet announcement that Pikmin 3 will indeed be released on Wii U, has made this suggestion more likely.

Street Fighter (Original Suggestion) - We've all experienced it. You sit down with a buddy to play a  friendly bout of Street Fighter. With each match, however, the  testosterone in the atmosphere builds and both partys begin to take the  virtual fight increasingly more serious. Eventually half your time is  spent waiting for your 'buddy' who has paused the game in order to  review their move list. Throw that stuff to the controller screen.  Problem solved.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

• Post E3 Verdict - Less Likely

Revision - Whereas many of my suggested applications for single-player still have potential, it seems that many of my spitballs for multiplayer have been made irrelevant thanks to Nintendo's percieved focus on only having one Wii U controller. Given that fighting games tend to be a purely 1 on 1 affair this concept may actually still be possible, particularly if players are able to bring their controller over to a friend's system, unfortunately that may be made more cumbersome thanks to the sheer size of the controller.

Paper Mario/Yoshi's Island (Original Suggestion) - Nintendo have a history of creating art styles which are patterned  (pun intended) after real world arts & crafts, with games like Paper  Mario, Yoshi's Island, WarioWare and most recently Kirby's Epic Yarn.  When Ubisoft released the uDraw peripheral back in November I remember  thinking how cool it would be if Nintendo were to use something similar  to allow gamers to contribute their own art to a game. Think Mario Paint  meets Okami meets Drawn to Life. I love the idea, for instance, of  drawing some wacky little character only for them to return as an enemy  later in the game. You've all seen that Spongebob episode right? Well,  it would be like that but with Bowser instead of Squidward and Yoshi  instead of Garry.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Revision - Using the Wii U controller for creative and artistic purposes already seems to be something that Nintendo are seriously considering. Not only does the Wii U Controller have a built-in stylus, but footage presented by Nintendo even showed a budding artist honing his craft by drawing a Twilight Princess era Link. At first we might expect a Wii U equivalent of Flipnote Studio or perhaps even a reboot of Mario Paint, but I'm hopeful that this could also mean something cool for Paper Mario.

Super Smash Bros. (Original Suggestion) - Last but not least, Nintendo's flagship multiplayer mashup, Super  Smash Bros. The best thing about Smash Bros. of course is getting three  friends around the television (either with items on or off, depending on  your preference) and beating the hell out of each other. There is,  however, one thing about the current set-up which can kill some of the  enjoyment, and that's being put out of the brawl at an early stage and  being resigned to a mere spectator. That's where the controller screen  comes in. Rather than making the losers sit there watching the more  experienced players battle it out for the top spot, why not allow them  to drop  down to the controller screen to duke it out for third place?  That way everyone's having fun.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

• Post E3 Verdict - Less Likely

Revision - My favourite suggestion of the bunch. We did get a rather hushed acknowledgement that the next instalments in the Super Smash Bros. series will be released on Wii U and 3DS, but the concept of allowing eliminated players to brawl for pride on their own individual controller screens now seems far less likely. As cool as it may have been, Nintendo's hesitance to confirm that multiple Wii U controllers will be supported has all but sunk this concept.

Another option might have been that players link their 3Ds's up to the Wii U as controllers, and if I thought that Nintendo would support this then my suggestion may still have had some semblance of plausibility. However, I do not think that it is likely that Nintendo would make such an explicit comparison between the Wii U controller and the 3DS. There has already been much confusion and discussion over whether or not the Wii U controller is, or should have been, a portable device. Nintendo will not want to muddy the waters further by having these devices be interchangeable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's weird to think that it's a year later and we're still no closer to knowing exactly what the Wii U is. It feels almost as if the Wii U is being officially announced for a second time at this year's E3.

Gouge away.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: May 27, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
Nice post. I really like and have even shared a few of those ideas myself. And I really like the one about SSB p3 & p4 continuing down on the uMote screen for 3rd place, but ofcourse this idea only works on a 4 player battle where everyone has their own uMote.
(Maybe 2 vs 2 / 2 uMotes here and 2 uMotes there / or 1v1v1v1 online, but not very likely all 4 here)

and the multiplayer ideas are not sunk, as we are pretty sure that 2 uMotes will be supported since we've heard from multiple sources in the last few weeks that the Wii U is technically capable of supporting 2 uMotes at once. I know it's not the confirmation you seek, but one source was supposedly official documentation shared by NoE back in Aug of 2011.

[I'll edit in a link to that post <HERE> if I run across it.]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:21:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 27, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »

we've heard from multiple sources in the last few weeks that the Wii U is technically capable of supporting 2 uMotes at once. I know it's not the confirmation you seek, but one source was supposedly official documentation shared by NoE back in Aug of 2011.

[I'll edit in a link to that post <HERE> if I run across it.]

Ah, I had not heard that. Well, that sounds reassuring at least. I guess we'll get clarification at E3.
Gouge away.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Pre-E3: Wii U in Review
« Reply #3249 on: May 27, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »
This is a work in progress (turned out much longer than I expected and I don't have time to finish right now) and I planned on turning it into a separate thread, but I'll post it here for now.

Wii U in Review

June 2011

-First Look at the Controller;
-HDD & SD card support + 4 USB ports; The Officially released Spec Sheet
-Hands on impressions of the uMote
-New Super Mario Mii (Wuu); the only 1st part game "officially" announced according to the press site
-Wii U sliders more like nunchuck analog than 3DS sliders; if only they knew
-Press Kit Photos
-IBM Wuutson Inside; Wii U CPU news
-Impressions of the Wii U (IGN)
-Ninja Gaiden Wii U to have some exclusive additions?
-Zelda Wii U Video and GIF
-Nintendo Rep says only 1 uMote per console....
-The Wii U disc will hold 25GB
-EA Banner suggest Mass Effect and other games coming to Wii U
-Nintendo admits E3 Games reel was PS360 footage
-Vigill (Darksiders II) states Wii U is more powerful than PS360
-Nintendo speaks on possibility of 2 uMotes
-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-Hands on with the actual console
-Wii U = Accounts, NOT friend codes!!
-Metal Gear on WU?
-Killer Freaks official site has launched
-More news on the CPU
-uMote has a headphone jack
-Wuu News Dump; Activision, iD, Mass Effect, Darksiders II & Bioshock. read all about it.
Ubisoft's E3 2011 Roundtable
-Nintendo: We Should Have Explained Wii U Better
-Nintendo ONline Network?
-An indepth look at the technical stuff from Nintendo @ E3 2011
-Sega doesn't want ports and backs a Mid 2012 launch
Everything we know about thevWii U so far
Venture Beat Interview with Reggie
-View of the top and bottom of the controller
-View of the back of the system
-
Wii U = 1.5x PS360!?
-uMOte screen used for view different from TV
-Developer comments from DICE
-
WiiU is NOT next Gen says Michel Ancel
-
No More Heroes 3 WiiU Confirmed
-
CryEngine3 & Unreal Engine 3 coming to WiiU
-What's under the flap revealed
-
WiiU using modified R770 w/ Eyefinity & DX 10.1(equivalent features)
-Pachter think Wii U is too late, and Reggie told him 2 uMotes are possible
-
Metroid U?
-Iwata Hopes Wii U will steal back the couch from the iPad
-No DVD or Bluray playback for U
-
Iwata: Multi-Room Gaming Is An Option
-
Devs working on Underclocked WiiU kits
-
Multiple WiiU controllers are possible, but cost too much
-Updated Devkits going out this July