Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592706 times)

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3200 on: May 22, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »
@Fatty_the_Hutt, @NWR_Insanolord I respect both of your opinions, but I fear that it is not a great business model for the long term.  If Nintendo attracts them when they are young, but loses them from there teen years on then they won't be in business for much longer. 

Yes, Nintendo has great games, but that is not the perception of up and coming soon to be parents who will not buy Nintendo in 10 years for their kids but one of the competitors.  On top of that both Sony and Microsoft were/are doing everything in their power to expand their market with Kinect and Move, and Nintendo is promising to reacapture the core gamer, so I feel they have to go after teens for the future of the system.

I do hold hope that the Wii U could be this system, but only time will tell.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
I'm not saying they shouldn't try to attract that demographic, but I think they're a lot more likely to be successful with the groups I mentioned. Really, attracting the right kind of third party support would do a better job of bringing in the teens than anything Nintendo could do themselves.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TeaHee

• View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:43 PM »
I agree with you on the third party support pulling in the teen market, but people usually buy Nintendo to play their games not third party games.  So here is hoping that the Wii U third party games will be superior and turn a few heads.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: May 22, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
Here's the thing. I introduced Monster Hunter Tri to my friends, I was the one who backed Skyward Sword, and I've been the one who supported Xenoblade and the Last Story. I'm a Nintendo fan, and I look for cool experiences on Nintendo consoles because they're often unique and engaging in ways FPS and God of War and what-have-you are not. Nintendo is a shining example, a beacon of hope for all the gamers who believe that games don't have to be bloody, violent, and consecutive to be good. Nintendo has stated time and again that gameplay is what matters, the experience is the key. They may be somewhat old-fashioned in that sense, and that's kind of a reason to be upset with them- but I don't think that they should change their approach, not for one second. Nintendo is a niche developer, innovating on recognizable concepts time and time again and proving they have what it takes to approach a series continuously with a new take on it. But that's not all they've done- they have allowed other developers to take their crack at the franchises they have created to see what they can do. The second-party developers under Nintendo's eye are those that largely follow the same approach that Nintendo does- the experience is what counts. Metroid Prime is a game with ambience, depth, cleverness, and solid, well-thought out controls- Retro took a bold step and it paid off. Monolith creates immersive, deep titles. Game Freak attempts to innovate its core franchise while keeping to the same mechanics.

But that's beside the point. Mostly, what Nintendo has truly strayed from is the online infrastructure. Using online to benefit their gaming experiences. If Nintendo wishes to cater to the modern young gamer and develop something with an online community, they have to do so by also sticking to what appealed to their original fans. I mean, that's what we all want, right? We joke and poke fun and roll our eyes about a Pokemon MMO, but we would all crap our pants if it actually happened. Hell, the internet would probably crap its pants, too. We all want to see what Nintendo could offer with an immersive online experience. The main issue, however, is that most online games are competitive, and while Nintendo is a fan of Mario Kart and Smash Brothers, not many of their IPs are really competitive fare. Nintendo focuses on the personal experience, and they know it. We all like the personal experience. But hopefully Nintendo can create something for me AND you, which is what their new console hopes to bolster. That's going to be key.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: May 22, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Nintendo is much more focused on local multiplayer, which they dominate at, both because they're great at it and nobody else is really trying to compete. They have been making gains with the online stuff recently, though; the 3DS is a massive step up from what they had before, and rumor has it the Wii U will take it even further.

Really, though, it has to be all these things. They need a varied and deep lineup of their own software, strong third party support, and a hardware/OS/online system that brings it all together. This E3 is going to be huge to see how much of that they can do, at least at the start.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

Why isn't E3 here yet?  I'm taking that whole day off of work just so I can wrap my mind around the presentation. :)

June is quicker than you think. We are already almost at the end of May, so...
Where is that hype train?

The quoted posts had to move over to the side of the road to let the ambulance get through.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: May 23, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »

Why isn't E3 here yet?  I'm taking that whole day off of work just so I can wrap my mind around the presentation. :)

June is quicker than you think. We are already almost at the end of May, so...
Where is that hype train?

The quoted posts had to move over to the side of the road to let the ambulance get through.
LOL, I didn't even think about that.  All will move aside for the hypulance.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: May 23, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
"won't be in business much longer",

you know in the last two generations I've heard talk of Nintendo going the way of Sega from tons of people, I even had my doubts, but I was shocked when they went from 3rd place to first place in the way that they did. Wii U is a much cooler system then is being let on, and its one of those things that once its in an early adopters house and that early adopter shows it off, that everyone is going to want it. This is not even for the games, this is for the media/set top box applications on whats going to be on there. I could see very early on some glimmer of ideas Nintendo had on the Wii, with the whole idea of "channels", in the long run Wii was only an experiment. Wii U is going to take that concept and expand on it on such a level that Wii U could disrupt the WHOLE electronics industry. Never forget Iwata has a black belt in market disruption. Remember how cool we thought Marty McFly's tv was on BTTF2? This is better. This is the future of entertainment.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: May 23, 2012, 02:42:49 PM »
What do you guys think of a retro NES styled uMote?

http://gifteddeviant.deviantart.com/gallery/

the more I look at it the more I like it.
what do you guys think?
Panda Eat Your Soul!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: May 23, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
Wii U is a much cooler system then is being let on, and its one of those things that once its in an early adopters house and that early adopter shows it off, that everyone is going to want it.
To bad I'm so Anti-Social...
Also my House is an Obstacle Course that would make a Navy SEAL cry.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3210 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
Also my House is an Obstacle Course that would make a Navy SEAL cry.

You grow onions in your house?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: May 23, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »
In Soviet Russia onions grow you in their house.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: May 24, 2012, 06:28:31 AM »
Vigil talks Wii U again (they want to atleast)
http://www.vooks.net/interview-return-of-the-dark-side-with-darksiders-ii/

“If I didn’t have a strict gag order on me, I’d love to talk about all the great features that we have,” Jeremy tells us, “but what I can tell you is that it’s a next generation platform, and you should keep your eyes open.

“We’ll obviously be using the unique controller that it has to its utmost potential, but speaking to uspecific features or tech effects… well, that’s in Nintendo’s playground right now. And I know that they have plans for E3.”

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: May 24, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
I wonder if Nintendo is even going to touch on that. It's not really their style anymore. Still, Gearbox's Randy Pitchford confirmed about a week ago that the Wii U version of Aliens Colonial Marines is the best looking console version of the game. He indirectly confirmed that the Wii U is at least a little more powerful than the current platforms. I know some people will spin that negatively and say, "It damn well better be. At least, Nintendo got that right," but I remember when those wholly unfounded rumors from nameless sources came out a month or 2 ago about the Wii U being less powerful than PS3/360 and people were losing their minds. Just goes to show you how many of us are so quick to believe something just because it's sensationalized yet when someone with a face and a name who is showing off a game on the platform in question flat-out says said platform is home to the best looking version, it's barely a blip on the radar. I mean, think about that. There are only 2 ways that can be true and one doesn't make sense. Either Gearbox sabotaged the PS3 and 360 versions of the game so the Wii U version could look better or the Wii U is simply more capable hardware.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:01:36 AM by Adrock »

« Reply #3214 on: May 24, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
Gearbox's Randy Pitchford confirmed about a week ago that the Wii U version of Aliens Colonial Marines is the best looking console version of the game. He indirectly confirmed that the Wii U is at least a little more powerful than the current platforms. I know some people will spin that negatively and say, "It damn well better be. At least, Nintendo got that right," but I remember when those wholly unfounded rumors from nameless sources came out a month or 2 ago about the Wii U being less powerful than PS3/360 and people were losing their minds. Just goes to show you how many of us are so quick to believe something just because it's sensationalized yet when someone with a face and a name who is showing off a game on the platform in question flat-out says said platform is home to the best looking version, it's barely a blip on the radar.

For some reason, a lot of gamers and gaming press want Nintendo to fail. When something comes out that makes that seem feasible, there's a giant uproar. Positive news is mostly ignored. I don't understand the mentality.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: May 24, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »
Not sure it's necessarily that people want Nintendo to fail. Bad news in general is always a juicier story. That's what people gravitate to. It's why people slow down to catch a glimpse of the aftermath of a car accident.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: May 24, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
In Soviet Russia onions grow you in their house.
Wait isn't that Pikmin?

Not sure it's necessarily that people want Nintendo to fail. Bad news in general is always a juicier story. That's what people gravitate to. It's why people slow down to catch a glimpse of the aftermath of a car accident.
It's because Bad News is not the Norm.  "Hey, honey I saw 100 cars while driving home today.  They were different Colors."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:23:23 AM by Ceric »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: May 24, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
The Wii U doesn't have to be that powerful graphics wise. I would prefer it be powerful enough to have 4 Tabuu's going all at once with shitty graphics than amazing eye-exploding graphics with only one screen.

Give me a 4-player Pikmin frenzy and I could give a damn if a single third party game releases on the console.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: May 24, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »
i don't see Wii U being underpowered mainly because Nintendo has great relationships with ATI and IBM, the real question is how much and what type of memory it will have, and that's up to Nintendo. The Wii and the 360 were basically related products, now the Wii u just has to be a Slightly better ATI and IBM chip than the 360. It will definitely have more memory than the ps3 or xbox 360. So, we shouldn't have any doubt its better. Its just mathematical that its better. To put it into how it will probably be. Wii is basically a suped up gamecube. Wii u is probably a suped up 360. Also lets not forget its using some bizarro proprietary medium thats bigger than dvds. It wont have quite the media that ps3 has, but it will be better than adequate for games. Its probably going to be less powerful than the competitors next gen systems, but i dont see xbox next or ps4 getting announced at e3 and being on the market this holiday season. Also, i think it will get harder to tell the difference in graphics from this point on.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: May 24, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
All I'm saying is, if I were Iwata and God willing some day I will be, I would have told R&D as soon as they showed off the streaming capability to make it work with at least 2 controllers, preferably 4. I would know that one controller would simply squander the potential. But even worse, a competitor could swoop in and declare that it features multiple controllers and completely knock us out. So if my system had to be priced a bit higher or take a hit somewhere else to make it work at a certain price point than so be it. Cut out everything else until the price is right.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:53:20 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: May 24, 2012, 03:05:03 PM »
i think I would be happy with 2(likes nes, snes, genesis, and super nintendo), i would prefer 4 of course, but I understand the tech involved. However, I would want RND to work something out so I can use 3DS as controllers too, and as such have up to 4 players.  Not to mention i predict a 3DS revision anyhow with a second thumb thingy. The thing is though, I would use Smash Bros to show this off, but I would wait till the 2nd or 3rd e3 of Wii U to announce it. This is the 2nd Wii U e3.
Also, to note Gamecube games will be easier to move to the Wii U controller than they were with Wii. This lends itself to 2 options. Re-release them in collection packs on discs, or re-release them via download. Gamecube games are 1.5GB where Wii U discs are 25GB. There could be some pretty badass collections on Wii U.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: May 24, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that we will get a HD version of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess at some point during the Wii U's shelf life.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: May 24, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that we will get a HD version of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess at some point during the Wii U's shelf life.
Why Stop there.  HD the Whole Series.  Maybe even 3D Zelda 2.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: May 24, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
I would actually like to see Ocarina of Time 3D (without the 3D) in HD on the Wii U eShop, and eventually Majora's Mask HD.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: May 24, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
Why Stop there.  HD the Whole Series.  Maybe even 3D Zelda 2.

you  mean like NSMB/smash bros type style? That would be awesome. I've also played a voxel version of Zelda 1 it was just a demo someone programmed, but it was cool.