Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592704 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3150 on: May 19, 2012, 11:43:41 PM »
In my opinion, buttons under the analog stick will never feel right. I will slap myself in the face if I ever eat my words and change that opinion.

And I haven't had any issues with my Circle Pad(s) yet, so I'm standing by them firm.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3151 on: May 19, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
In my opinion, buttons under the analog stick will never feel right. I will slap myself in the face if I ever eat my words and change that opinion.

And I haven't had any issues with my Circle Pad(s) yet, so I'm standing by them firm.
Do we need to initiate our own NWR Slap Bet timer? Eh? Ehhh?

http://www.theslapbetcountdown.com
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »
By the same token, have you had any issues with analog sticks? I haven't. I mean, I like the circle pad and understand why it was used in the 3DS but analog sticks have served me well.

As for the analog stick above the face buttons, I don't see a problem with it. Games that I typically play, either use the right analog stick occasionally for camera controls or heavily with the shoulder buttons. That said, I'm either using mainly the face buttons or mainly the analog stick so it doesn't matter to me where it's located. Being directly aligned is the only thing that would feel kind of awkward.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »
It doesn't make any less sense than the layout Sony's stuck with for the better part of two decades, and just from looking at it it seems like it would be significantly more comfortable than that. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and giving it a go, so we'll see how I feel about it three weeks from now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3154 on: May 19, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
Exactly, J.P. I understand Nintendo's decision to do so. When using dual-analog sticks, you're mainly using the shoulder buttons/triggers anyway. It makes complete sense to align them at the top. I look forward to taking this thing for a spin.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:15 AM »
This is supposedly a very small excerpt from some internal documentation that NOE had during a meeting last August
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38025760&postcount=330
"So far we know for sure that can be simultaneously connected 4 Wii Remote Plus, or at least 2 WiiU controllers (but not learned if they can be linked together, ie 4 Wii Remote Plus and 2 WiiU controllers at the same time)"

"We played wireless, so yes, it had battery inside."

If you could connect all 6 (2 uMote & 4 Wiimote+), that would make for some great local split team multi-player versus.

Let's see the competition replicate that.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »
This is supposedly a very small excerpt from some internal documentation that NOE had during a meeting last August
"So far we know for sure that can be simultaneously connected 4 Wii Remote Plus, or at least 2 WiiU controllers (but not learned if they can be linked together, ie 4 Wii Remote Plus and 2 WiiU controllers at the same time)"

If you could connect all 6 (2 uMote & 4 Wiimote+), that would make for some great local split team multi-player versus.

Well, the PS3 can connect up to 7 controllers at once, but no game uses that setup. Online has taken over, (un)fortunately.

PS: I recognize you from NeoGaf. How many Gaffers are on these forums?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3157 on: May 20, 2012, 12:21:39 AM »
Well, from last E3, we already know that you can connect 4 Wii Remotes and at least one tablet. The former use Bluetooth, while the latter may use a form of 802.11n, so at least communication channels should not be a restriction -- you could also throw in a Balance Board, for example.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: May 20, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
It doesn't make any less sense than the layout Sony's stuck with for the better part of two decades, and just from looking at it it seems like it would be significantly more comfortable than that. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and giving it a go, so we'll see how I feel about it three weeks from now.

Speaking of Sony, I really hope they redesign the PlayStation controller for the PS4. I remember they wanted to go with that "boomerang" controller when they showed the first PS3 prototype, but they ultimately returned to the good ol' DualShock.

The thing is, we've been using the same damn controller for the past 15 years (the DualShock first came out in 1997). Isn't it time for a change? Nintendo constantly comes out with new controllers for each of their consoles, so why can't Sony do the same?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: May 20, 2012, 12:26:45 AM »

I can see that being like what Four Swords Adventures and FF: Crystal Chronicles on GameCube were, where they could be amazing experiences you can't get anywhere else but very few people will ever have all the hardware required to do it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: May 20, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »

I can see that being like what Four Swords Adventures and FF: Crystal Chronicles on GameCube were, where they could be amazing experiences you can't get anywhere else but very few people will ever have all the hardware required to do it.

DJ Hero & Just Dance Fusion

2 teams, 2 DJ's & 4 dancers.

1 DJ & 2 dancers per team.
uMote mounted on a DJ turntable, dancers with wiimotes up on the TVscreen.

Someone make it happen. Ultimate music based party game.

PS: I recognize you from NeoGaf. How many Gaffers are on these forums?

NWR is my home.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:03:37 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: May 20, 2012, 01:02:08 AM »

DJ Hero & Just Dance Fusion

2 teams, 2 DJ's & 4 dancers.

1 DJ & 2 dancers per team.
uMote mounted on a DJ turntable, dancers with wiimotes up on the TVscreen.

Someone make it happen. Ultimate music based party game.

Activision (DJ / Guitar Hero) and Ubisoft (Just Dance) will never team up.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3162 on: May 20, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »
Ah, guys. I just made a cutout mock-up of the controller using paper (major geek here), and I can see why Nintendo decided to round off the edges even more so now...  The round corners actually will sit perfectly against the palm of your hands as you grip the handles with thumbs placed on the analog sticks - and I have normal-sized hands. Keeps it sitting comfortably and not cutting into your hands. Good deal. I can post a photo if you guys would like.. :P:
Muh Backloggery!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 20, 2012, 01:05:13 AM »

I didn't mean literally. I meant merge the genres into one game.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: May 20, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »

I didn't mean literally. I meant merge the genres into one game.

Well that could work. I'm surprised Activision hasn't tried to make a crossover Guitar Hero x DJ Hero game yet.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:59 AM »

Speaking of Sony, I really hope they redesign the PlayStation controller for the PS4. I remember they wanted to go with that "boomerang" controller when they showed the first PS3 prototype, but they ultimately returned to the good ol' DualShock.

The thing is, we've been using the same damn controller for the past 15 years (the DualShock first came out in 1997). Isn't it time for a change? Nintendo constantly comes out with new controllers for each of their consoles, so why can't Sony do the same?

Well, if it ain't broke...

As for the link up options, I would very much love to play some in-room co-op with that many controllers, and we finally have the hardware to do games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords justice. However, the nice thing is that we'll also have the online infrastructure for it too.

And as for that slap-bet, I'll post the video here and everything. You're on. :D

Oh, and Rachtman, I'd like to see that!

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 20, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »

The GameCube controller was fine the way it was, yet Nintendo still created the Wii Remote and Classic Controller.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 20, 2012, 01:17:36 AM »

The GameCube controller was fine the way it was, yet Nintendo still created the Wii Remote and Classic Controller.
But we're talking about Sony. And the Classic Controller's no Gamecube controller, sadly...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 20, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »

But we're talking about Sony. And the Classic Controller's no Gamecube controller, sadly...

I was referring to your "if it ain't broke" comment. Nintendo constantly makes new controllers for their consoles, but Sony likes to stick to their basic DualShock design. How are their PlayStation consoles going to evolve gameplay-wise if they keep using the same controller? Imagine if each new Nintendo console used the same SNES controller.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 20, 2012, 01:26:09 AM »

I was referring to your "if it ain't broke" comment. Nintendo constantly makes new controllers for their consoles, but Sony likes to stick to their basic DualShock design. How are their PlayStation consoles going to evolve gameplay-wise if they keep using the same controller? Imagine if each new Nintendo console used the same SNES controller.
I understood your comment, and I referenced the saying because it's a defeatist stance. Sony doesn't want to put the work into designing new controllers for their system- they want the tech to be shiny and the games to be pretty- and for the most part, gamers tend to be okay with that. The reason Nintendo's fallen behind in recent years is because of their continuous innovation and focus on revolutionizing the gameplay experience and not focusing on other aspects. Hopefully we see them tackle both with the Wii U (which appears to be the case). Nintendo's working overtime while Sony sits on their ass waiting to see what Nintendo comes up with and re-shell it. (Un)Fortunately, Nintendo draws the developers who are truly interested in using their hardware and are on-board with their ideas, but they still lag behind because of overall technical inferiority.

At least, that's what last-gen was.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 20, 2012, 01:33:25 AM »
The thing is, without these controller innovations, we'd all be stuck using SNES / Sega Genesis controllers. Consoles evolve, and so do controllers. It's just the nature of the gaming industry.

I realize that all modern controllers are essentially offshoots of the SNES controller, but they still added new things to the basic design. Sony and Microsoft seem like they play it safe with their controllers.

The only thing that Microsoft changed with the 360 controller was add a "Guide" button and get rid of the Black & White buttons. Sony was even less ambitious, they just changed L2 and R2 into triggers and added a Home button.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:37:17 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 20, 2012, 01:36:02 AM »
With all they do to help that process, Nintendo deserves some respect. They've also allowed a lot of developers to shine on their consoles, and let a whole lot of shovelware through their gates, too, but you gotta weigh the pros and the cons.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 20, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »
With all they do to help that process, Nintendo deserves some respect. They've also allowed a lot of developers to shine on their consoles, and let a whole lot of shovelware through their gates, too, but you gotta weigh the pros and the cons.

True, but the controller is the core function for playing games. Online multiplayer / co-op, leaderboards, voice chat, etc. are all superficial functions that aren't really needed. A game controller is the main thing that makes video games worth playing. If every console company played it safe with their controller designs, the gaming industry would have been held back.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3173 on: May 20, 2012, 01:40:34 AM »
Ask and you shall receive. :P: : Also, ignore my rough sketch of analog sticks and buttons... I'm horrible at drawing circles freehand, BUT the actual width dimensions should be precise. Decent reference.

In relation to my hands.
Tablet screen to 3DS shell comparison.
Controller to 3DS size comparison.
Controller to Cube controller comparison.
Controller to CCP comparison.

Crazy that the 3DS fits perfectly into the screen size of the tablet - that should give you a reference as to where your hands will be placed. Also, it's not much bigger (wider?) than a 'Cube or CCP. Now you can shut the haters up. DOO EET. Seriously. I'm psyched for e3. Can't come quick enough!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:43:00 AM by Rachtman »
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 20, 2012, 01:52:27 AM »
Huh. That's... nice. I'm surprised at how small it is, really. I remember all those complaints about the size. Do you mind if I use those pics as a size reference in a future blog post?

I'm very excited to see this controller in my hands, analog stick placement or not. After playing Resident Evil: Revelations, I've adapted to the dual-input control/trigger scheme nicely, so I want to see how well this fits in the hands.