Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592841 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #3050 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »
You shouldn't look at it that way, because it's amazing. It's the whole graphics v. gameplay argument from a different angle; that game could be black and white Atari 2600 graphics and it would still be one of the best of the last decade if it played the same.

That just made me think of VVVVVV. I still don't get the appeal of that game. You just move from the floor to the ceiling, avoiding spikes. Is that really what the whole game is about? And those Atari 2600 graphics don't appeal to me at all. I grew up during the NES/Super NES eras (I was born in 1984), anything prior to that is just ugly, in my opinion. Then again, I love Pac-Man, DigDug, and Galaga...

It's about moving from the floor to the ceiling to avoid spikes in the same way Mario's about jumping over pits and stomping turtles: a gross oversimplification missing the point of what makes the game great. Seriously, if you've ever argued that graphics are more important than gameplay then you're a huge hypocrite for dismissing those two games because of their looks.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
You shouldn't look at it that way, because it's amazing. It's the whole graphics v. gameplay argument from a different angle; that game could be black and white Atari 2600 graphics and it would still be one of the best of the last decade if it played the same.

That just made me think of VVVVVV. I still don't get the appeal of that game. You just move from the floor to the ceiling, avoiding spikes. Is that really what the whole game is about? And those Atari 2600 graphics don't appeal to me at all. I grew up during the NES/Super NES eras (I was born in 1984), anything prior to that is just ugly, in my opinion. Then again, I love Pac-Man, DigDug, and Galaga...

It's about moving from the floor to the ceiling to avoid spikes in the same way Mario's about jumping over pits and stomping turtles: a gross oversimplification missing the point of what makes the game great. Seriously, if you've ever argued that graphics are more important than gameplay then you're a huge hypocrite for dismissing those two games because of their looks.

No no no. My point is, the graphics of VVVVVV and the gameplay both turned me off from enjoying the game. It's not just one or the other. And the gameplay of Super Mario games requires much more precision than simply pressing a button to go up and down.

VVVVVV is tedious, boring, and ugly. The actual gameplay mechanics are too oversimplified. There's no sense of momentum or weight to the character, two things that make Mario games so much fun to play.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
If you think that game doesn't require precision you didn't play very much of it. It's one mechanic, but it demands absolute mastery of it. Also, Super Meat Boy is a way better game than that. Based on what you said you like about Mario, I think you'd really dig it.

If you thought the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was too slow and easy, you'll love Super Meat Boy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: May 15, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »
If you think that game doesn't require precision you didn't play very much of it. It's one mechanic, but it demands absolute mastery of it. Also, Super Meat Boy is a way better game than that. Based on what you said you like about Mario, I think you'd really dig it.

If you thought the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was too slow and easy, you'll love Super Meat Boy.

You're spot-on about Super Meat Boy.  It requires a nearly complete flawless run to complete levels, whereas you can make several mistakes on most Mario levels and still complete them without too much struggle.  Super Meat Boy's Platforming seems to have been refined to its most simplest form, which is what is to be appreciated about it.  Mario is better if you're wanting variety in how you want to approach a level.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: May 15, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »

Well I had a hard time beating The Lost Levels. I've only beaten the All-Stars version, and I know that was made slightly easier with its improved controls and slightly redesigned levels.

How are the controls for Super Meat Boy? Are they tight and responsive like Mega Man (with pixel-perfect precision), or are they floaty and loose like a majority of Flash games?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: May 15, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
The controls are spot on (they have to be) and work great. If you die it's never because you've been let down by the controls, you'll only have your judgement and reflexes to blame.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: May 15, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »

VVVVVV is tedious, boring, and ugly. The actual gameplay mechanics are too oversimplified. There's no sense of momentum or weight to the character, two things that make Mario games so much fun to play.

The italicized is simply not true at all. In fact, those things screwed me over more times than I care to count!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: May 16, 2012, 12:28:32 AM »
It looks like Foxconn is expected to see some growth in the 2Q thanks to products like Wii U
https://www.research.hsbc.com/midas/Res/RDV?p=pdf&key=4kuSY2d6um&n=325456.PDF
. We maintain our Overweight (V) rating. Near-term catalysts include MacBook
update and Wii U announcement in 2Q, as well as iPhone 5 launch in 2H

one of the early rumors was that Foxxconn was manufacturing Wii U. Seems that alot of the earliest rumors have been proven true so far. especially those from 01.net

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: May 16, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
I loved VVVVVV, so I'm not gonna comment on THAT issue.

Foxxconn news is interesting though.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3059 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:36 AM »
Honestly, I'd be very surprised if they went with somebody other than Foxconn. It seems their manufacturing capabilities can't be beat.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »
I wish Nintendo (apple too for that matter) would chose another company other than Foxconn--working conditions are god awful and the company response to it?  "installed suicide-prevention netting and asked employees to sign no-suicide pledges"

So instead of increasing moral with higher pay and more time off, they go with locking down employees during off hours and limiting interactions with other workers.  Great :(.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: May 16, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
i feel sorry for the Foxconn people, but I'm sure some of the people there in the future will be major world players when they move onto other things. You cant make the worlds most high tech gadgets and not learn something insanely useful.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: May 16, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
I wish Nintendo (apple too for that matter) would chose another company other than Foxconn--working conditions are god awful and the company response to it?  "installed suicide-prevention netting and asked employees to sign no-suicide pledges"

So instead of increasing moral with higher pay and more time off, they go with locking down employees during off hours and limiting interactions with other workers.  Great :(.

But did you ever think what would happen if everyone boycotted Foxxconn and the business shut down? What would all those employees do?

Its easy to criticize Foxxconn, but those who work there do so willingly. Yes the conditions may be harsh, but they aren't slaves. They are there because otherwise they would have no work at all, and that would be a greater evil.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 16, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
This effectively happens in the States as well.  Just read "locking down employees during off hours" to "making employees salary and forcing to work over 40hrs"
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 16, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

Last I heard Apple was working directly with Foxconn to make the working conditions better there so both their images can be brought out of the mud.  At least that is what I read on Monday.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 16, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

Last I heard Apple was working directly with Foxconn to make the working conditions better there so both their images can be brought out of the mud.  At least that is what I read on Monday.
...For the last year.  They've been saying that for the last year almost and Foxconn rep is still mud.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 16, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »

...For the last year.  They've been saying that for the last year almost and Foxconn rep is still mud.
It'll take a lot longer than 1 year to fix that rep.  I was just mentioning that they were working on it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3067 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »
What's hurting the rep is the spreading of misinformation. Foxconn's suicide rates when the news broke out were actually less than the rest of China. (Source.) In fact, one of the biggest stories about the working conditions there was at least partially fabricated. I'm not saying it's actually great to work there, but it's probably not the hell hole most people imagine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3068 on: May 16, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »

We essentially do the same thing in America. My college's school of business has un-openable windows because one time, somebody jumped. Instead of hugging us all the time, they sealed the windows. It's not just America, when I went to Notre Dame de Paris (not to be confused with Notre Dame de College Sports in the US), there were fences along the balcony area to keep people from jumping off together because at one point, that was just the thing to do when you're in love for some reason.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Foxconn's suicide rates when the news broke out were actually less than the rest of China.
And also less than in the US.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »
The Lost City?  Haven't heard of it, according to that link it's published by Nintendo?  Might be interesting.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 16, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
Strange, the developer's website calls it "The Lost Town – The Jungle."
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »
And it's rated M, gotta keep an eye out for this one.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 17, 2012, 02:14:11 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:16:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »