Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592826 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2950 on: April 30, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
Here's some Project CARS info

It may have been posted but you know, whatevs... It's Wii U news.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: April 30, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
I hope that on screen... steering wheel? Gets improved because it looks ugly.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2952 on: April 30, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »
So about the download stuff on Nintendo platforms...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1224063p1.html
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2953 on: May 01, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »
I wonder where the line between talking about governments and talking about politics is? This feels close, but definitely on the side of informative discussion that debate on political opinion. Either way, we should probably stop.

Anyway, I heard a rumor that the Wii U will have a upgrade slot (ala, N64 expansion pack) that will allow the Wii U to handle two uPads at once. Interesting cost cutting approach to giving us what we want, eh? Source.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: May 01, 2012, 01:37:02 AM »
I wonder where the line between talking about governments and talking about politics is? This feels close, but definitely on the side of informative discussion that debate on political opinion. Either way, we should probably stop.

Anyway, I heard a rumor that the Wii U will have a upgrade slot (ala, N64 expansion pack) that will allow the Wii U to handle two uPads at once. Interesting cost cutting approach to giving us what we want, eh? Source.

A peripheral that connects a second Wii U controller? LOL that's just as ridiculous as the old PS1 "Multi Tap" adapter.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:40:24 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2955 on: May 01, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
Check the link.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: May 01, 2012, 01:40:30 AM »
i prefer to have my games boxed but it would be neat to have games where the multiplayer is the main reason for playing them loadable right from the SD card/usb drive. Great thing about that as opposed to the other consoles is that you can buy a 2TB HDD for pretty much the same price as an xbox HDD

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:18 AM »
Check the link.

The link goes to this forum. There is no link.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:54 AM »
i prefer to have my games boxed but it would be neat to have games where the multiplayer is the main reason for playing them loadable right from the SD card/usb drive. Great thing about that as opposed to the other consoles is that you can buy a 2TB HDD for pretty much the same price as an xbox HDD

What's the largest hard drive you can use in a PS3?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: May 01, 2012, 01:52:57 AM »
Not sure where you got you prices from, but Elizabeth II's total wealth is about $450 million (if the art collection was hers, it would be included in that total). Still a lot, but stuff like the castle and art collection are not personally hers, they belong to the monarchy.

Anyways, Nintendo said they are now working on setting it up so that third parties can release their Wii U games both at retail and digitally (like most first party games will be).
So why doesn't England have a King anymore? When Queen Elizabeth II dies, who will be the next Queen? Prince William's wife Kate, or whoever Prince Harry decides to marry?

I'm glad Nintendo seems to finally be back on track with supporting 3rd-party publishers. Though I remember when Nintendo tried supporting 3rd-party publishers during the GameCube era, and they got abandoned back then too. So no matter what Nintendo does, it's a lose-lose situation, I guess.

It's a hereditary monarchy, the oldest child (regardless of gender) inherits it (I won't get into stuff that could affect it, like Catholics and those married to Catholics being banned by British law from inheriting the throne). When Queen Elizabeth II dies, her oldest child Prince Charles will become King Charles III. Elizabeth is the monarch because she was the oldest child of her father King George VI.

As for digital versions of retail games, I think I would only do it if it was cheaper. If the versions are the same price, I would prefer the retail version.

Ok, that's enough of that political talk. Anyways, I'm still skeptical of Nintendo's ability to convince 3rd-party publishers to support their systems. They've had some success with their handhelds, but on home consoles, it's a different story.

Nintendo tried to get exclusive support with the GameCube, but they were abandoned again. Then the Wii came out and caught the entire industry by surprise. Developers were reluctant to support it because it was too "underpowered" compared to the competition.

The whole "power" debate just shows how hypocritical these developers / publishers are. If it's power that developers want, then the PSP would have gotten more support than the DS.

The developers who claim to want more power so they can make better games would have thrown all their support at the PSP instead of the DS, but clearly that wasn't the case. Same thing with the PS2 vs the GameCube and Xbox.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
The developers who claim to want more power so they can make better games would have thrown all their support at the PSP instead of the DS, but clearly that wasn't the case. Same thing with the PS2 vs the GameCube and Xbox.
Actually, that was true in the first 18 months of the PSP's lifecycle.  Everyone thought Sony would thrash the DS and Nintendo would lose the handheld market.  Obviously, that didn't happen and games stopped selling on the PSP because piracy was so easy with it.  The DS also got some amazing games and was selling like mad and 3rd parties had to make games for it because their PSP games weren't selling.

With the Wii, everyone thought it would bomb, so nobody had games ready at launch.  Then they rushed to make games for the system and those failed because they were rushed.  Then when a game was released on the Wii/PS360 at the same time, the 360 and PS3 versions would always outsell the Wii version by a ton even though the Wii userbase was bigger.  What happened was gamers would own both a Wii and a PS3/360.  When games came out for both, people wanted the PS360 version because of better graphics/achievements/better online/etc.  Then the non-gamers who only owned a Wii didn't want those types of games.  So developers were losing money on the Wii games and just decided to quit making those types of games for the Wii.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: May 01, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »
Starving for Wii U news here.

Help me, BlackNMild Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2962 on: May 01, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
Then when a game was released on the Wii/PS360 at the same time, the 360 and PS3 versions would always outsell the Wii version by a ton even though the Wii userbase was bigger.
Not true.
See: Guitar Hero III and World Tour.
Also, I think, the Lego Games and Force Unleashed 1, but not super ceratain on those ones.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: May 01, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
Then when a game was released on the Wii/PS360 at the same time, the 360 and PS3 versions would always outsell the Wii version by a ton even though the Wii userbase was bigger.
Not true.
See: Guitar Hero III and World Tour.
Also, I think, the Lego Games and Force Unleashed 1, but not super ceratain on those ones.
GHIII is a non-gamer game (I hate the term casual).  Lego games I don't know the sales on those.   I'm talking about FPS games, adventure games, games that gamers prefer to play.  You left my context out of your quote.  I specifically mentioned the people who owned a Wii and a PS360 along with it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2965 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
Hey Louie... I bought Force Unleashed 1 and World At War on the Wii and I own all 3 consoles.

And its a bit pretentious to claim GH is a non-gamer game. Truth is, its not the game that is 'casual' or 'hardcore', but the way they are played. I'm a casual player of GH and Rock Band, but I know there are hardcore players who will wipe the floor with me. But I still enjoy the games, they provide a nice break from the shooters.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: May 01, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
Hey Louie... I bought Force Unleashed 1 and World At War on the Wii and I own all 3 consoles.
Congrats, you are one of a very select few people who did this.  Is there still an online community playing WaW on the Wii?  That would be quite awesome.

And its a bit pretentious to claim GH is a non-gamer game. Truth is, its not the game that is 'casual' or 'hardcore', but the way they are played. I'm a casual player of GH and Rock Band, but I know there are hardcore players who will wipe the floor with me. But I still enjoy the games, they provide a nice break from the shooters.
Okay,  I'm glad you bought those games.  And you are right.  GH is a crossover game really that appeals to all people.  But oh well, my original point still stands.  A couple of games selling better on the Wii were the exception and not the norm. And I should have said almost all games.  I was wrong there as well.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2967 on: May 01, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
 :D

I was just making a point that you generalized a bit. And it may be difficult to know which households have more than one system out of the ones that purchased cross-console games. Truth is, I haven't finished the campaign on either one and only tried the online component of WaW a couple of times. The muddy graphics and frustrating controls drove me away. I would love to get a standard def TV just for the Wii and previous systems.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: May 02, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

I was just making a point that you generalized a bit. And it may be difficult to know which households have more than one system out of the ones that purchased cross-console games. Truth is, I haven't finished the campaign on either one and only tried the online component of WaW a couple of times. The muddy graphics and frustrating controls drove me away. I would love to get a standard def TV just for the Wii and previous systems.
I actually don't mind the Wii graphics when displayed on an HDTV.  Maybe that's because I've only bought first party titles and Nintendo actually takes their time to make the games look as good as they can look.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2969 on: May 02, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
The Wii's graphics really only got to me after I got through playing a few games back to back on my 360. However, **** like Gears 3 suffers from industry browning, so nice, colorful art styles were still pleasant to look at. I was never too bothered until I got a bigger TV to play games on, but wow was Wii Sports never the same.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: May 02, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
The Wii's graphics really only got to me after I got through playing a few games back to back on my 360. However, **** like Gears 3 suffers from industry browning, so nice, colorful art styles were still pleasant to look at. I was never too bothered until I got a bigger TV to play games on, but wow was Wii Sports never the same.

Yeah, I was initially impressed by the graphical leap of the 360 after only having a Wii for years, but after about six months of Gamefly churn I was really sick of the Unreal Engine mud aesthetic. And all of those neat lighting effects and textures lose their glamor when barely anything in the environment is interactive. I have component cable for my Wii plugged into a 20 inch 720p monitor, and it looks fine, except for when the games themselves are ugly.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Nintendo says hardcore first! casual second!
« Reply #2971 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Caterkiller to the rescue!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-01-iwata-wii-u-3ds-will-cater-to-core-gamers-first-mass-market-second

Really interesting read. What's said here is things we've more or less herd before but Nintendo sounds super serious about it.

I can't quote for crap here, I copy and paste but it just looks like a mess and impossible to fix. 

“The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit,†he explained.

“However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.“Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released.â€

“Once consumers have a notion that ‘this system is not for us’, we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later,†said Iwata.

“Therefore, in promoting the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we have announced that we would like ‘width’ and ‘depth’ to coexist.“With the Nintendo DS and the Wii, the approach of ‘width’ was well accepted by many people; however, what we did in terms of ‘depth’ was not satisfactory for some consumers. This time, we would like consumers to be satisfied in both aspects.“In order to do so, we started to work on the ‘depth’ aspect first, and the current and existing software you can see for the Nintendo 3DS is based on that idea. In the future, the approach will evolve,†he continued.

“Our approach for the Wii U is basically the same. By doing so continuously, we are expecting that the number of game users per household will increase and as the gaming population increases, we believe we can create a sustainable video game market.â€
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:37:37 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: May 02, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »
Caterkiller to the rescue!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-01-iwata-wii-u-3ds-will-cater-to-core-gamers-first-mass-market-second

Really interesting read. What's said here is things we've more or less herd before but Nintendo sounds super serious about it.

I can't quote for crap here, I copy and paste but it just looks like a mess and impossible to fix. 
Summary, Going after the Casual audience first bit us hard with the Wii.  We are going to go for the gaming as a Hobby folks first and then start to ease in the casual.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: May 02, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
Thank you Ceric.

But I believe this creates an issue. Will Nintendo not pack in some tech Demo to make people go nuts? I don't think it would hurt in the slightest if after the main sizzle reel is over at E3, Nintendo says it will include some "U play game" with the console.

The fact that Wii Sports came with the Wii outside of Japan was a major selling point.

I certainly love that they want to cater to the hardcore but I think at least one piece of casual software should come free with the system.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: May 02, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »
Thank you Ceric.

But I believe this creates an issue. Will Nintendo not pack in some tech Demo to make people go nuts? I don't think it would hurt in the slightest if after the main sizzle reel is over at E3, Nintendo says it will include some "U play game" with the console.

The fact that Wii Sports came with the Wii outside of Japan was a major selling point.

I certainly love that they want to cater to the hardcore but I think at least one piece of casual software should come free with the system.
I don't think we'll get a Wii Sport pack in, but instead something more akin to Faceraiders and the AR card games.  They will effectively be packed in, but already on the system and ready to go.  Even if not really advertised.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.