Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592739 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2875 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
Yeah, Infinity Blade may look pretty, but the gameplay is really shallow. The RPG guy in me still loves the games, however.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: April 25, 2012, 11:36:51 PM »
Calling Infinity Blade and Infinity Blade 2 to be only a graphical showcase is a bit harsh. Sure, most of the money you pay for the game is to look at the pretty one or two environments. However, it is a fun little Punch-Out derivative with character progression that give you that level and loot lust. Granted, playing the game can be monotonous and simplistic. It's a single-player fighting game where you take turns whacking at each other.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: April 26, 2012, 04:46:33 AM »
Nintendo's quarterly financial results are now posted. In the PDF, Nintendo confirms that the Wii U will be releasing worldwide at the end of the year.

Source:  http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120426e.pdf
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: April 26, 2012, 05:19:07 AM »
Oh man, staying up late to read a financial report.

Quote from: 4. Management Policy - (3) Medium and long-term management strategy and challenges
Moreover, Nintendo will push forward with "Nintendo Network," which is the network service for the "Nintendo 3DS" and the "Wii U," and offer game experiences, which enable users to compete and interact with others all over the world, and provide add-on content by utilizing its network functions.

Furthermore, for the purposes of adapting to the changes in the environment surrounding the video game market and creating new business opportunities, Nintendo is envisioning the digital distribution of packaged software and is aiming at expanding the digital business.

I breathe a sign of relief and then exclaim a playful accusation of tardiness.
I know they're just words, but they bring me hope.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2879 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »
Tendoboy, that is not new. Nintendo has already said on multiple occasions that Wii U would launch worldwide by the end of 2012.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: April 26, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
Any article that says Nintendo needs to develop for smart phones is complete sh!t that should just be ignored because the writer clearly has no idea what the f*ck they're talking about.  It's basically the usual Nintendo's going third party bullsh!t that's been all over the place for the last decade.  Plus the article completely ignores all the success the 3DS has been having since last fall which goes to show just how clueless these so called analysis are.

I remember back when the GameCube was almost dead, there were rumors of Microsoft wanting to buy Nintendo.

It was more than just a rumor. Bill Gates offered Yamauchi a bunch of money, but Yamauchi refused. Good thing he did, because right now he might be wealthier than Bill Gates. Maybe one day Nintendo will want to buy Microsoft.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: April 26, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Any article that says Nintendo needs to develop for smart phones is complete sh!t that should just be ignored because the writer clearly has no idea what the f*ck they're talking about.  It's basically the usual Nintendo's going third party bullsh!t that's been all over the place for the last decade.  Plus the article completely ignores all the success the 3DS has been having since last fall which goes to show just how clueless these so called analysis are.

I remember back when the GameCube was almost dead, there were rumors of Microsoft wanting to buy Nintendo.

It was more than just a rumor. Bill Gates offered Yamauchi a bunch of money, but Yamauchi refused. Good thing he did, because right now he might be wealthier than Bill Gates. Maybe one day Nintendo will want to buy Microsoft.
The rumored amount was $25 billion.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: April 26, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
I want Breath of Fire 'nuff' said!
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »

Considering Nintendo has more in common with Apple (in their approach to tight integration, product design, and minimal interfaces), I'd expect Apple to buy them before Microsoft.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
Apple and Nintendo are too much alike for that to work. Neither would be willing to give up enough control for it to happen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
Apple and Nintendo are too much alike for that to work. Neither would be willing to give up enough control for it to happen.

But if they could combine their talents (Apple's approach to software and product design, Nintendo's amazing skills with game design), the end result would be spectacular.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »
But their management philosophies wouldn't mesh. Hiroshi Yamauchi and Steve Jobs were the same kind of guy; you did things their way and they expected perfection. Iwata and Tim Cook may be a bit less of that style, but the legacy of their predecessors lives on. Both companies demand total control, and because of that they would never be able to operate as one unit.

J.P. Corbran

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
But their management philosophies wouldn't mesh. Hiroshi Yamauchi and Steve Jobs were the same kind of guy; you did things their way and they expected perfection. Iwata and Tim Cook may be a bit less of that style, but the legacy of their predecessors lives on. Both companies demand total control, and because of that they would never be able to operate as one unit.

I would actually compare Shigeru Miyamoto to Steve Jobs, considering Miyamoto does most of the overseeing with game development. We all know about Miyamoto's famous "upending the tea table". Well Steve Jobs had the same types of outbursts when he would check up on a product's development.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
lol, Are we on the Apple Nintendo thing again?

Lets break this down.

Apple Doesn't Play Nice with Anyone.
Nintendo Doesn't Play Nice with Anyone.

It simply wouldn't work.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: April 26, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »
See, Ceric gets it. I'm a big fan of both companies, and from following them both all these years I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the traits that work really well for them on their own would make it impossible for them to operate as a combined entity. They both need total control, and they couldn't both have it in this arrangement.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: April 26, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »
Seriously.  If you want to see what happens to a company who likes to partner more look at Microsoft.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: April 26, 2012, 06:22:40 PM »
Seriously.  If you want to see what happens to a company who likes to partner more look at Microsoft.

Explain please.  :-\

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2892 on: April 26, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
Good thing he did, because right now he might be wealthier than Bill Gates.

Yamauchi is rich, but far less rich than Bill Gates. Gates is worth $56 billion (2nd in the world), Yamauchi is worth $4.6 billion (232nd) based on the 2011 Forbes list. Between 2008 and 2011, Yamauchi's worth dropped from $7.8 billion to $4.6 billion.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
Good thing he did, because right now he might be wealthier than Bill Gates.

Yamauchi is rich, but far less rich than Bill Gates. Gates is worth $56 billion (2nd in the world), Yamauchi is worth $4.6 billion (232nd) based on the 2011 Forbes list. Between 2008 and 2011, Yamauchi's worth dropped from $7.8 billion to $4.6 billion.

What has Yamauchi done since retiring from Nintendo? Has he done anything worth noting that still keeps him relevant?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2894 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
He is the majority owner of the Seattle Mariners, and has been for about 20 years.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2895 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
He gave some of his money back to Nintendo (e.g. refused his pension), and donated some of it to build a cancer treatment center in Tokyo.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2896 on: April 26, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »
Tendoboy, that is not new. Nintendo has already said on multiple occasions that Wii U would launch worldwide by the end of 2012.

"By the end of the year" was the old news. "At the end of the year" is relatively new? Maybe?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2897 on: April 26, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »
I suppose you are right, though it's hardly surprising. It does pretty much eliminate the hopes of those expecting a summer release.

I am starting to wonder if Wii will cross the 100 million mark, it's still about 4.4 million away.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2898 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
Yeah, the November date was already a popular guess before that last rumor went out. I think the last nail in coffin for me was NSMB2 coming out in August, but I guess that coffin had some room.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: April 26, 2012, 11:24:01 PM »
Wasn't Nintendo supposed to be a family business? Therefore, shouldn't Yamauchi have transferred control of it to like his son or something? Does Yamauchi have a son?
is your sanity...