Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592784 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2800 on: April 21, 2012, 01:10:15 AM »
I'm more than a little disappointed that Mario will be getting TWO 2D Bros. outings on both consoles this year. Booo.

Disappointed? Why? This isn't the first time this has happened.

Super Mario Bros. 3 & Super Mario Land both came out in 1989.

Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Mario Land 2 came out 1 year apart. (SMW - 1991, SML2 - 1992, All-Stars - 1993)

Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: April 21, 2012, 01:19:14 AM »
Doesn't make it any less wrong. I'm just going to be tired of NSMB by the time NSMBMii hits- the graphical style is going to get a little grating, especially if there's not a healthy amount of new features.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: April 21, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-205-invisible-walls/729443

Shane Shatterfield, Editor in Chief of Gametrailers.com
One thing that I can say without getting in any trouble is that the launch line-up for the Wii U is going to surprise people. It's going to be pretty damn good.

All aboard choo choo!

But this is good news, this can't be real right?! right?!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2803 on: April 21, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Actually I expect that to be true.  I see the ports of 3rd parties with bonus features, and 3 Nintendo games, and 2-3 original titles from 3rd parties coming out.  At least that is my prediction.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: April 21, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
Metroid Prime re-imagining for Wii U please!
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2805 on: April 21, 2012, 11:19:07 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-205-invisible-walls/729443

Shane Shatterfield, Editor in Chief of Gametrailers.com
One thing that I can say without getting in any trouble is that the launch line-up for the Wii U is going to surprise people. It's going to be pretty damn good.

All aboard choo choo!

But this is good news, this can't be real right?! right?!

Now I know what Bloodworth looks like. Its funny, makes me think of reviving the old photo thread.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: April 21, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
Bloodworth is obviously the lanky one with the ponytail and the glasses.

edit: I was typing this post before they officially introduced them to the audience.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2807 on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
We don't need a Metroid Prime reimagined.  We already have a great Metroid Prime Trilogy.  Let's move on. 

A new Metroid would be awesome...but I would love an HD 2D Metroid...I like the idea of revisiting Metroid 2.  Seriously, we have awesome Metriod updates of all the games...except Metroid 2 which is the game that needs biggest update. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: April 22, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »
I agree the Prime games don't need to be re-imagined, because they are pretty modern games, so what the heck is the point of reimagining them?

The 8bit and 16bit Metroids are an entirely different story, though. I'm talking about the first Metroid on the NES, Metroid II on the Gameboy, and Super Metroid on the SNES. Well, Super Metroid is pretty good as it is and doesn't need to be tinkered with, but the first two and especially Metroid II on the spinach Gameboy could really stand to see a huge graphical enhancement.

Imagine what could be done if these games were given the HD and possibly 3D treatment on the Wii U. At the core the plot of the games would stay the same, but the enemies, environment, and everything else would be taken from blocky 8-bit and spinach color, to the level of what games are at today.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:07:19 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: April 22, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
I think a Metroid launch title would be very beneficial, especially since Metroid is one of the Nintendo franchises that would really really benefit from HD treatment.

However, this statement has made me giddy with anticipation.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2810 on: April 22, 2012, 11:59:24 PM »
Well, Metroid doesn't need an update.  They did that with the Gameboy Advance games.  However, I could see Nintendo doing a Metroid 1-3 reimagining creating all those games with HD graphics.  The big selling point of course being that Metroid 2 would basically be a brand new game...and Metroid 1 would just be Zero Mission level design with pretty graphics. 

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:45 AM »
Honestly, I'd like a new Metroid story, something akin to the Metroid Prime saga, etc. I think that's a good way to expand on the universe. You could do 2D Metroid while introducing Galactic Federation Soldiers, etc into the environs. I think that would be pretty cool, actually.

But I would really like a 3D evaluation of Metroid from Nintendo, and not another company. Or maybe they've run out of ideas for it and are ready to have other people work on it? If so, I think that's a pretty nice idea too- but who would make a good, new Metroid game...? Retro proved they could, and now Nintendo goes to them for good titles. I'd like to see a new take on Metroid done... but hopefully not something like Other M, unless drastically improved.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2812 on: April 23, 2012, 02:38:22 AM »
I know Nintendo would never do it...because saying a character is a Bounty Hunter, and then having the character actually BE a bounty hunter are too different things...but I would love a game that had Samus actually hunting "boss bounties."

These bounties are dangerous monsters, deadly assassins, and brutal tyrants.  The levels would be Samus going into their worlds, their lives and taking them out.  Focus is still on being alone in vast environments, but now Samus upgrading weapons to solve environmental problems that at her on the fly during a hunt...or adapting to take out a deadly target.

This too me would be the "next" Prime series because it would be best focusing this style game in first person. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: April 23, 2012, 03:10:42 AM »
The Metroid games are already rated T for Teen and feature the killing of baddies, so I don't see why having Samus be a literal Bounty Hunter should be any sort of problem. No one is saying she would have to disembowel or decapitate her enemies, or that there has to be blood or anything gorey like that. She could be a literal bounty hunter and the game wouldn't have to be any more violent than it already is.

Actually, being a Bounty Hunter would generally mean she would try to capture her targets alive, so it would actually be less violent than what she is doing now by just plain killing them. I can envision her using her Ice beam or something like that to freeze an enemy into a block of ice, and then she could haul it back to her ship just like how Bobba Fett did to Han Solo in Star Wars episode V.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:16:49 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2814 on: April 23, 2012, 03:43:41 AM »
Not talking about violence.  Bounty Hunters tend to be of a less friendly variety of people...and I think Nintendo likes to create their characters as more likable. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:21 AM »
A Retro-made open-worlduniverse Metroid game in which you can explore the galaxy and hunt down various bounties as they come sounds pretty awesome.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: April 23, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »
First or third person?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »
Depends on what they want to emphasize. Maybe go third-person, toss in some kind of cover mechanic and a bit more platforming and stuff like that. We've already seen their take on first-person Metroid, so I'd prefer something with a different feel to it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:16 AM »
Meh. I'm kinda done with cover shooters, after playing all three Uncharted games and Vanquish. Cover systems get pretty boring after a couple of hours.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 23, 2012, 05:06:58 AM »
Not talking about violence.  Bounty Hunters tend to be of a less friendly variety of people...and I think Nintendo likes to create their characters as more likable.

A lot of people like Bobba Fett. He is one of the more popular minor villains within the franchise, and he is far from friendly or likable... well he's likable, because people tend to like bad asses. Bobba Fett even got his very own video game a few years back.

Samus doesn't need to be friendly because she's supposed to be isolated and on her own behind enemy lines like a female John Rambo. That's one of things which really sucked with the Other M because Samus was no longer alone in this game like she was in the other games. She had these other characters like Higgs and Adam who saved her ass on more than one occassion and gave her emotional support. A hero shouldn't need emotional support. A hero shouldn't break down and cry while on a mission, either.

But that said, a character can be ruthless to his enemies and still be friendly and likable to the good guys. Look at John Rambo and how in third movie he showed a softer side to that little Afghan kid, and even gave him his good luck pendant at the end. Samus could be something like that. She could mercilessly slaughter space pirates, and then at the end of the day give some little kid who looks up to her a trinket.

Meh. I'm kinda done with cover shooters, after playing all three Uncharted games and Vanquish. Cover systems get pretty boring after a couple of hours.

I agree. I absolutely hate cover systems. I would like to see Metroid be in third person, but leave out the cover system crap. Mario and Zelda are 3rd person yet they don't have a cover system, so why ruin Metroid with that rubbish?

My beef with cover systems is you have to figure out whatever button it takes to snap into cover and then use another button to snap out of it. I fucking hate that and especially when you are getting blasted at and you are pressured to figure it out.

Instead of using cover Samus should just evade the enemy attacks by running and jumping around. That's how its always been and that's how it always should be. Please don't **** that formula up by introducing a cumbersome cover system.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:15:16 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2820 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
Yes, but how do you present that friendliness in a game known for little dialog. 

I don't want 3rd person shooter.  What makes Prime work as and adventure game is you felt like you were in that world...and were exploring it and all its dangerous for the first time.  I want that feel with this Bounty Hunting.  It should be first person and be about exploring...even though you are hunting bounties, exploration and adventure in the environment are still the most important element. 

What I also loved about Prime, was that they had encounters that were "event" battles.  You would be ambushed or run into a new creature or monster that you never encountered before and that battle was treated differently.  I think this game should focus on that...as well as the minor enemy/creature battles. 

I like the universe idea...but the universe should be shown as a HUD from the ship...just to get into the new world to explore.   I think I would only have a few planets to explore (maybe 5 worlds) but I would love to give the worlds seasons so that a planet might be a frozen waste land, but for 2-3 months it is a beautiful water covered Ocean World because its 2 suns come around.  Some of the season changes can be more subtle than that...perhaps a world where trees grow to help you get to higher places, and in the winter reveals openings for your ball form to explore.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »
I'll be a-okay with a new or old take on Metroid. I just want to see what can be done with the franchise.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
Yes, but how do you present that friendliness in a game known for little dialog.

Well, in previous games one thing that comes to mind is like when she spared the baby Metroid, and things like that. No dialog is required for something like that, and in that case there wasn't even any other characters... well not human characters, anyway.

I don't want 3rd person shooter.

Well, I do.... but again I must emphasize that I do not want a cover system with it. Just a 3rd person game but no cover system. And also I don't want it like Other M either. I want a 3rd person Metroid similar to the original ones like especially Super Metroid. Something like that but in a 3D environment where you can move around in 360 degrees like what we've seen in almost every major Nintendo franchise since Super Mario 64, but to this day has never once been done with Metroid. The Prime series give us a 3D environment, but the game is in first person; and Other M gives us 3rd person, but its in a 2D environment. What I want is a Metroid game which takes the 3D style of the Prime games and combines it with the 3rd person of Other M. This has never ever been done with the Metroid franchise, so if it were done it would be something new.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:50:02 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: April 23, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
I want a Metroid game that plays like a fuckin' Metroid game to make up for that pile of **** Other M.  It is crucial that Nintendo get that series back on track with the very next Metroid game or the whole thing is going to turn out like Star Fox.  This is not the time the branch out and try new spin-offs and such.  This is the time to put Metroid back on track after Other M derailed it.

So the launch lineup of the Wii U is going to surprise people?  Well then it's going to have to be more than the same old Nintendo franchises I guess, unless GameTrailers doesn't know what "surprise" means.  What would surprise me would be something new, targetted at core gamers, that doesn't appear to be trying to cater to casuals in any way whatsoever and branches out beyond Nintendo's typical style and genres.  I would also be surprised by truly healthy third party support right out of the gate.  I don't mean one or two ports, I mean such an impressive showing that I never concern myself with the issue at all.  I just safely assume the major games will be there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: April 23, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »
I thought Other M played like a Metroid game. The gameplay was the only thing Metroid about it because Sakamoto and Team Ninja sure as hell didn't get Samus or subtly right. In fact, in terms of translating the series to a 3rd person 3D game, Other M played it a little too close. It's similar to how Lament of innocence just repositioned the camera and made 2D Castlevania into 3D Castlevania. It works but it doesn't work. Super Mario 64 didn't just put the camera behind Mario; it rethought everything from controls to level design to accommodate movement in the Z-axis. Come to think of it, Metroid Prime did the same.

I agree with Chozo (there's a first time for everything lulz). I still want a 3rd person Metroid. However, whoever handles it has to rethink how Metroid works while still preserving what makes the series so unique. A tall order but not impossible. Retro Studios did it once with Metroid. Nintendo themselves have done it numerous times with several other IPs that I'm surprised Other M wasn't better.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:55:34 PM by Adrock »