Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592797 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2750 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »
How powerful Wii U is will affect how much support it gets so yeah, in a way, you should and do care.

There are many people who only buy Nintendo hardware in order to play Nintendo games. If you are one of these people then it doesn't matter to you because Nintendo is still going to support it regardless. However, if you would like to see any 3rd party support at all then you are indeed correct that this does matter.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:40 AM »
2 Patents for Nintendo
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=2&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%2820120417.PD.%20AND%20Nintendo.ASNM.%29&OS=ISD/20120417%20AND%20AN/Nintendo&RS=%28ISD/20120417%20AND%20AN/Nintendo%29
A software emulator for emulating a handheld video game platform such as GAME BOY.RTM., GAME BOY COLOR.RTM. and/or GAME BOY ADVANCE.RTM. on a low-capability target platform (e.g., a seat-back display for airline or train use, a personal digital assistant, a cell phone) uses a number of features and optimizations to provide high quality graphics and sound that nearly duplicates the game playing experience on the native platform. Some exemplary features include use of bit BLITing, graphics character reformatting, modeling of a native platform liquid crystal display controller using a sequential state machine, and selective skipping of frame display updates if the game play falls behind what would occur on the native platform.

something about emulating handheld games on devices that are not that original handheld
(patent filed back in 2003 and just granted today)

and a quote from another one:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=Nintendo.AS.&OS=AN/Nintendo&RS=AN/Nintendo
[0295] The game system 1 can also operate in cooperation with TV broadcasting when a TV broadcast is being watched on the television 2. That is, when a TV program is being watched on the television 2, the game system 1 can output on the terminal device 7 information regarding the TV program, etc. An operation example where the game system 1 operates in cooperation with TV broadcasting will now be described.

[0296] In the operation example described above, the game device 3 can communicate with a server via a network (in other words, the external device 201 shown in FIG. 21 is the server). The server stores, for each channel of TV broadcasting, various information relating to TV broadcasting (TV information). The TV information may be program-related information such as subtitles and cast information, EPG (Electronic Program Guide) information, or information to be broadcast as a data broadcast. The TV information may be image, sound, text, or information of a combination thereof. The number of servers does not need to be one, a server may be provided for each channel or each program of TV broadcasting, and the game device 3 may be able to communicate with the servers.

Sounds like TV interaction, interactive TV, TV Guide or something may be coming to the Wii U if this patent comes through.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2752 on: April 18, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »
That TV description is just an update/copy of this patent application.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: April 18, 2012, 01:04:38 AM »
haha that's funny, I didn't remember the TV broadcasting portion of it and I was the one that sent in the tip.

and that one I just posted is dated 4/12/2012, so something was updated.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
Does anyone want to speculate on what the Wii U games cases will look like?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2755 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
I've seen some sites use mock-ups that basically take the Wii's design but mirror it (like how 3DS game cases are basically a mirror version of the DS case).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: April 19, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
There are many people who only buy Nintendo hardware in order to play Nintendo games. If you are one of these people then it doesn't matter to you because Nintendo is still going to support it regardless. However, if you would like to see any 3rd party support at all then you are indeed correct that this does matter.
Why are you bringing up Nintendo games? Isn't the whole issue regarding how powerful Wii U is whether 3rd parties will continue to support it if Sony/MS release much more powerful hardware? I was responding to the asylum claiming he "could honestly give less than two shits how powerful the Wii U is." Well, he should and does, indirectly. It just seems like you brought up Nintendo games just so you could correct my statement which is weird but to each his own.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:27:48 AM by Adrock »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
I'm just pointing out that there are indeed many people who buy Nintendo consoles only to play Nintendo games. The 3rd party support or the lack thereof doesn't matter to them because they won't buy 3rd party games on the Wii U even if they exist. To these people it doesn't matter if the Wii U is underpowered and misses out on multiplatform support as a result.

You can break this segment of the market up into two groups: 1) those who only play Nintendo games period, and 2) those who own multiple consoles, but only use their Nintendo console for the Nintendo games and their Xbox or Playstation for everything else.

But my overall point is you said it matters to him, but if he is in one of those two groups then it doesn't matter to him. No matter which group he's in, the Nintendo console is reserved solely for Nintendo games. Unless he doesn't fall into either of those groups, in which case you are right, but that's not true with everyone.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:40:23 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2758 on: April 19, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
I don't really agree with that point of view Chozo because believe it or not there is people who do buy 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. I think there is even a topic on this forum with peoples games and the majority of the games in their collection were third party games with maybe one exception or 2 exceptions.

Anyway that is not why I am posting here.

Project Cars footage.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:47:32 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:41 AM »
I don't really agree with that point of view Chozo because believe it or not there is people who do buy 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. I think there is even a topic on this forum with peoples games and the majority of the games in their collection were third party games with maybe one exception or 2 exceptions.

I think you misunderstood me because I never said all or even most people fit in those two groups. All I'm saying is some do.

For those who do fit in either of those categories, the power of the Wii U doesn't matter, because to them 3rd party support doesn't matter. I don't know what I can do to say that more clearly. Again, I'm not saying all or even most people are this way but some are. So please don't get me wrong.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:26:49 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: April 19, 2012, 08:27:22 AM »
The footage looks good. I would just echo what's already been said about it. The cars are nice but the backgrounds are pretty barren. I'm not sure how they can spice up a regular race track but you're moving so fast anyway that it probably doesn't matter too much.

If that's indicative of what Wii U is capable of right out of the gate, I'm not at all disappointed. The final hardware is probably far more capable. Is it too early too start getting excited about E3? Less to 2 months away!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
If that's indicative of what Wii U is capable of right out of the gate, I'm not at all disappointed. The final hardware is probably far more capable. Is it too early too start getting excited about E3? Less to 2 months away!
Isn't that what this thread is for?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: April 19, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »
I realize that a new Mario now means squat to me.  I didn't buy a 3DS for it and I won't buy a Wii U for it.  Now if I bought a Wii U for a different reason I would certainly buy any Mario platformer for it.  But it isn't special to me anymore.

I actually happen to be in the same boat! I still don't own either Super Mario 3DLand or Mario Kart 7. Shocker, I know. The only reason I got a 3DS is because of Ambassadors and I'm still waiting, more than a year later, for the games I really want for it: Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and especially Luigi's Mansion 2... can Luigi's Mansion be considered it's own IP?

I mean, it's pretty cool that Nintendo's bringing out a major name like Mario early on for the Wii U, and honestly I think that'll be a good thing if the game does something to convince the NSMB-haters while wowing the rest of the market who totally dug NSMB. But personally, for me as a Nintendo Fan a Mario game is sort of... a bygone conclusion.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: April 19, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »
I realize that a new Mario now means squat to me.  I didn't buy a 3DS for it and I won't buy a Wii U for it.  Now if I bought a Wii U for a different reason I would certainly buy any Mario platformer for it.  But it isn't special to me anymore.

I actually happen to be in the same boat! I still don't own either Super Mario 3DLand or Mario 3D Kart. Shocker, I know. The only reason I got a 3DS is because of Ambassadors and I'm still waiting, more than a year later, for the games I really want for it: Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and especially Luigi's Mansion 2... can Luigi's Mansion be considered it's own IP?

I mean, it's pretty cool that Nintendo's bringing out a major name like Mario early on for the Wii U, and honestly I think that'll be a good thing if the game does something to convince the NSMB-haters while wowing the rest of the market who totally dug NSMB. But personally, for me as a Nintendo Fan a Mario game is sort of... a bygone conclusion.
You want Kid Icarus.  You may think you don't but you do.
Skylander 3DS as well <.< >,>
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: April 19, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
I've seen some sites use mock-ups that basically take the Wii's design but mirror it (like how 3DS game cases are basically a mirror version of the DS case).

To cut costs, I could see Nintendo making the cases smaller and thinner than standard Wii game cases. Nnitendo will most likely add those holes in the cases for recycling purposes. Overall, I would like for them to make the teen and mature rated Wii U games be in black cases.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: April 19, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
I'd like the cases to be closer to the size of PS3 cases.  I much prefer the bluray height of cases over dvd cases.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2766 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »
Plus, it uses less plastic, which is better for mother earth. /hippie
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »
One thing with the Wii U is that Nintendo might not make as much money off of their accessories market the way they did with past consoles. Nintendo has done a good job of selling Wiimotes, and its derivatives, and if you look at the fact that the Wii U has the only possibility of using two uMotes then that cuts their sales of controllers down dramtically. However, since the Wii U is essentially a home console version of the 3DS, what if Nintendo came out with a upgraded version of the uMote every few years that had better screen resolution and battery life like the DS handhelds?

First Generation uMote: DS Phat
Second Generation uMote: DS Lite
Third Generation uMote:  DSi

Lastly, Nintendo could still make money from an accessories market, but they would have to create new stuff. For example:

• Wiimote Plus with built-in rechargable battery and magnometer.
  • Wireless nunchcuk and adapter for Wiimote.
  • A DS and 3DS player for the Wii U.
  • An arcade cabinet similar to the iCade for the uMote.
  • A light gun that uses the uMote.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: April 20, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »
One thing with the Wii U is that Nintendo might not make as much money off of their accessories market the way they did with past consoles. Nintendo has done a good job of selling Wiimotes, and its derivatives, and if you look at the fact that the Wii U has the only possibility of using two uMotes then that cuts their sales of controllers down dramtically. However, since the Wii U is essentially a home console version of the 3DS, what if Nintendo came out with a upgraded version of the uMote every few years that had better screen resolution and battery life like the DS handhelds?

Lastly, Nintendo could still make money from an accessories market, but they would have to create new stuff. For example:

How in the hell would an arcade cabinet work for a tablet-style controller? And the light gun attachment was shown in the Wii U trailer during E3 2011.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: April 20, 2012, 02:02:41 AM »
Why does 'tendoboy have a Namco avatar? He should be called 'amcoboy.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2770 on: April 20, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »

Zero chance of a 3DS player happening since it would require a 3D TV. With how expensive the controllers expected to be and that any real changes would fragment the market, slim to no chance of the Wii U controller getting any changes after release. The Wii U controller's resolution is expected to be lower because the system has to handle the processing for it, we don't know what the battery will be like but it's a moot point because it's not something you will be taking with you.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: April 20, 2012, 02:21:12 AM »
Arcade Cabinet:

• Set the uMote inside the cabinet that has a joystick and four buttons and then the Wii U would proceed to stream arcade Virtual Console titles to the uMote. The uMote itself would act as the screen.
Upgraded uMotes:

• Nintendo could take a que from Apple and offer a new tablet controller every two or three years. The next console generation could last ten years, so I assume that as technology grows the balance between streaming data, screen resolution and battery life will be much easier. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2772 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:45 AM »
How in the hell would an arcade cabinet work for a tablet-style controller?

Like he said, iCADE.

As for upgraded uPads, let's not do that. I know some people who would get a second uPad right away and be peeved when the new one comes out. Then there's the inevitable lack of support for any new features. Hell, I had four WiiMotes before they came in colors. The only silver lining was that I could get two black WM+s for cheap with discounted copies of Fling Smash. I don't see uPads going for that low.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
Zero chance of a 3DS player happening since it would require a 3D TV.

KyTime was discussing hypothetical uMote revisions which would come along in the years to come. That said, is it that far fetched Nintendo could revise the screen on the uMote at some point to have a 3D display? I actually see this as being likely, because then Nintendo would be able to use the same production lines for both the 3DS display and that of the uMote which of course helps them bring costs down, while also delivering a new improved feature for consumers. Its win-win.

That said, a 3DS player doesn't even need a 3D display anyway, because its an optional feature which can be shut off even on the 3DS itself, so the fact most people don't have 3D TVs isn't a problem. It just means they can't have it in 3D, but it could still be done on standard TVs. Its just like how HD consoles like the PS360 can hook up to standard TVs and work just fine. They won't be in HD, but they still work. Same thing would go for the 3DS and 3D.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:43:12 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: April 20, 2012, 02:45:36 AM »
I shall call it the "uCade." As for the upgraded uMotes, we experience the shame **** with Apple, and Nintend is a business, so I assume that they have the idea of trying to pull something like this off as technology gets better with time.