Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592769 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2600 on: April 08, 2012, 11:57:40 PM »
And talking about custom firmware, hacking, etc. is bad on these forums.
For the last time, NO IT IS NOT. Talking about piracy is bad, but not these specific topics.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: April 09, 2012, 12:08:33 AM »
And talking about custom firmware, hacking, etc. is bad on these forums.
For the last time, NO IT IS NOT. Talking about piracy is bad, but not these specific topics.

Are you the same MegaByte from TMK ("The Mushroom Kingdom" Mario fansite)?

Also, don't a large majority of people who use custom firmware do it to pirate games and download ROMs & ISO's?? Why else would you need a 500 GB hard drive on your Wii?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:10:12 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: April 09, 2012, 12:28:01 AM »
Yes.

Even if that's true, it doesn't matter what a majority people use it for as long as that's not what we're talking about. For instance, I use one so that I don't have to carry a giant stack of discs around if I take the system to a friend's house or have to go digging for a game, as well as being able to play import games, etc.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: April 09, 2012, 12:33:38 AM »
Yes.

Even if that's true, it doesn't matter what a majority people use it for as long as that's not what we're talking about. For instance, I use one so that I don't have to carry a giant stack of discs around if I take the system to a friend's house or have to go digging for a game, as well as being able to play import games, etc.

So if you hypothetically had a PS3, what would you do with all your games when you travel? You can't install an entire Blu-ray game to the hard drive, and there are only a few full-size games for sale on PSN.

And you're really complaining about having to bring a bunch of discs to a friend's house? Really? You don't have to bring your entire collection, just bring what you'll play the most. I have a 3DS and a bunch of cartridge games, yet I only bring one or two games with me when I'm travelling. The rest of my 3DS games are eShop titles.

The things people say to "excuse" their hacking and custom firmware nonsense. This type of stuff killed the PSP and cause a majority of developers to abandon it, because most developers knew that by cracking the firmware, users could easily install ISO files and downloaded games.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:35:57 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: April 09, 2012, 12:59:01 AM »
That's interesting, cause the "casual" crowd is constantly buying new smartphones, tablets, and iPhones every year. Why wouldn't they do they same for a game console that they enjoyed, especially one that has the "Wii" name on it?

Phones/tablets and game consoles are  two very different things.  At least from my point of view.  It is the "In thing" to keep up with all the latest phone trends.  Phones are also something that you take everywhere and use everywhere you go. 

Game consoles are not.  They sit at home and are used only when one has some free time.  I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of those "casual gamers" haven't touched their Wii's for months, if not longer.  Why would the Wii name entice them to pay for another game console that will more than likely end up the same way?

Tell me, the average Joe had $400 lying around, what do you think they would upgrade first?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: April 09, 2012, 01:11:03 AM »
Yup, when there wasn't any news about Xenoblade coming to the states I decided to mod the WII and I also took the time to make backup's of the 40 games in my collection since the disc drive started to act up again (replaced it twice already but it's making grinding noices again).

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:43 AM »
So if you hypothetically had a PS3, what would you do with all your games when you travel? You can't install an entire Blu-ray game to the hard drive, and there are only a few full-size games for sale on PSN.
Irrelevant hypothetical.

And you're really complaining about having to bring a bunch of discs to a friend's house? Really? You don't have to bring your entire collection, just bring what you'll play the most. I have a 3DS and a bunch of cartridge games, yet I only bring one or two games with me when I'm travelling. The rest of my 3DS games are eShop titles.
One, I wasn't complaining, just pointing out one of the reasons I would use custom firmware. Two, I may not know what I or my friends might want to play at any given time. Three, you've basically proven my point by saying that the rest of your games are eShop titles.

The things people say to "excuse" their hacking and custom firmware nonsense. This type of stuff killed the PSP and cause a majority of developers to abandon it, because most developers knew that by cracking the firmware, users could easily install ISO files and downloaded games.
Got any real proof of that statement (not from a Sony exec)? The DS and Wii were both easily hacked and I don't see anybody complaining that caused "a majority of developers to abandon it." If consoles weren't so locked down in the first place, there wouldn't be as much of a reason for custom firmware, however, as an engineer, I like to be able to play with the technology that I've bought, and that has nothing to do with piracy. The "enabler" argument is a crock, and in any case, as I said, piracy talk is not welcome, but homebrew talk is whether you see the virtues or not. BTW, that Colors! 3D that just came out would never have happened if the DS hadn't been hacked, and it's far from the only story like that.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Irrelevant hypothetical.

One, I wasn't complaining, just pointing out one of the reasons I would use custom firmware. Two, I may not know what I or my friends might want to play at any given time. Three, you've basically proven my point by saying that the rest of your games are eShop titles.

BTW, that Colors! 3D that just came out would never have happened if the DS hadn't been hacked, and it's far from the only story like that.

How is my example of the PS3 irrelevant? You hack your Wii games and store them on a hard drive, so why not do the same thing with PS3 games?

All I'm saying is doing that stuff will void you warranty. Most companies don't want to deal with homebrew or custom firmware, because it can easily break your system.

And downloading eShop titles is completely different than cracking a game's IOS code and putting it on a storage device. Many people do that to distribute games over torrent sites.

In the case of Colors 3D, does that mean Nintendo is ok with homebrew stuff now? How did they give that guy permission to turn it into a full eShop game?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:39:37 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: April 09, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
SUPER is my moral compass when it comes to teh haxorz.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: April 10, 2012, 01:25:19 AM »
I figured I'd post this here as its a good indication of what to expect (at the minimum) out of the WiiU edition.  Here is a video of the campain mode of Aliens: Colonial Marines. 
http://www.destructoid.com/pax-first-look-at-aliens-colonial-marines-campaign-225415.phtml

The game looks sweet and I can't wait to get into this.  It actually does capture the vibe of the movies very well from the little that's shown there.  I'm suprised that I'm actually excited for a FPSer.  Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy myself some fps action but I usually pick them up on the cheap, used, while I'm in a gaming drought.  This game I might actually pick up upon release.  Here's an article with more impressions.
http://www.1up.com/previews/authenticity-aliens-colonial-marines-blockbuster

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »
SUPER is my moral compass when it comes to teh haxorz.

I've always said the world would be a far more interesting place if everyone took their cues from SUPER.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #2611 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
Hello all, new to these forums. Figured I'd jump in and just say how insatiably excited I am for this E3, in a way I have never, ever been excited for an E3 before.  The total blackout of info actually works for me, as it makes me dream more and more about the amazing games that will be revealed, and for the games we already know about.  I really honestly think this could be the best Nintendo E3 ever, and I've been watching them for many, many years.  If they show both Smash Bros. games, I just may die.  How can they possibly fit everything into their conference? Maybe we'll get an extra long one this year.
3DS Friend Code:  2836-0087-6663
Nintendo Network ID: PadawanOfWindu

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: April 10, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
So RE6 had the curtain pulled back today and that it will not be available for the Wii U at the moment. Seems odd they aren't porting it to Wii U, I wonder if maybe it will be an E3 announcement that it is coming to Wii U. I just can't believe they'd ignore the Wii U as a platform to release it on. From what I understand Resident Evil Revelations has done pretty well on 3DS, so, if true, it does indicate Nintendo system owners are interested in the series.

Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U," Kobayashi told us. "Right now we're concentrating on the PlayStation 3 version, 360 version and the PC version of the game.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1222650p1.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:59:24 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »
Welcome to the forums young padawan.  Make sure to check out the rumor thread to be able to get a ticket for the hype train as it comes into the station.

I hope E3 is as exciting as your predicting.  I think they may let a few nuggets out of the bag before E3 though.  I don't think that'll diminish from the awesomeness though.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:58 PM »
So RE6 had the curtain pulled back today and that it will not be available for the Wii U at the moment. Seems odd they aren't porting it to Wii U, I wonder if maybe it will be an E3 announcement that it is coming to Wii U. I just can't believe they'd ignore the Wii U as a platform to release it on. From what I understand Resident Evil Revelations has done pretty well on 3DS, so, if true, it does indicate Nintendo system owners are interested in the series.

Unfortunately, RE6 will not be available at this time on the Wii U," Kobayashi told us. "Right now we're concentrating on the PlayStation 3 version, 360 version and the PC version of the game.

To be fair, RE6 was officially announced a couple months ago.  It was originally announced for a November 20, 2012 release for PS3, 360 and PC.  However, this Capcom Captivate presentation in Italy that you are referring to shows a release date of October 2, 2012 now.  With a 10.2.12 release date, a WiiU release is most likely off the table.  I could still see a port coming to the WiiU with the map & item selection moved to the tablet at some point in 2013.  I could even see a port of RE5 & 6 together, maybe even a super package with RE4HD, RECVHD and RE5 & RE6 all in one go.  SO just because they say no WiiU version at this time doesn't mean it isn't being worked on, especially if the rumored 11.16.12 WiiU launch date comes true.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
No RE6?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
No RE6?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......
Correction:
No RE6 at this time.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
That still changes everything. If Wii U version doesn't come out around the same time as the other versions, I'll probably get it for PS3.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
Considering the way Capcom works, they'll port RE5 to the Wii U first.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
Considering the way Capcom works, they'll port RE5 to the Wii U first.

...And Resident Evil 4 HD, RE Code: Veronica HD, Super Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Dead Rising 2, etc.  RE6 is squarely in the back of a long queue of Capcom games waiting to be ported to Wii U.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:22:28 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
Capcom is more likely to put out RE6 with one save slot on the WiiU than to offer RE5, hell they will port RE4 again before then.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
Capcom is more likely to put out RE6 with one save slot on the WiiU than to offer RE5, hell they will port RE4 again before then.

However badly the fanbase (including me) views RE5 in retrospect, it did sell very well.  Capcom won't ignore such an easy opportunity to use the game to gain more profits from a "new" audience with very little work required on their part.  Besides, if RE5 doesn't sell well, they have an easy explanation for not porting games over to Wii U.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:26:28 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

However badly the fanbase (including me) views RE5 in retrospect, it did sell very well.  Capcom won't ignore such an easy opportunity to use the game to gain more profits from a "new" audience with very little work required on their part.  Besides, if RE5 doesn't sell well, they have an easy explanation for not porting games over to Wii U.  ;)

Yuck. I completely buy this line of reasoning. Hell, they might even port the combined HD Umbrella Chronicles back over with touch screen controls.

And boy do I hate RE 5. There was something so wrong with it. I was cautiously optimistic about 6, given that Capcom tends not to **** up mainline RE games and Revelations looked surprisingly good, but the unveil today dampened that. I like the return of different character playthroughs, which hasn't really been done to a major extent since RE 2, but all three characters have friggin' AI partners and RE is just about the last franchise I want to play co-op in.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: April 10, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »

Yuck. I completely buy this line of reasoning. Hell, they might even port the combined HD Umbrella Chronicles back over with touch screen controls.

And boy do I hate RE 5. There was something so wrong with it. I was cautiously optimistic about 6, given that Capcom tends not to **** up mainline RE games and Revelations looked surprisingly good, but the unveil today dampened that. I like the return of different character playthroughs, which hasn't really been done to a major extent since RE 2, but all three characters have friggin' AI partners and RE is just about the last franchise I want to play co-op in.
I guess I'm different.  My wife and I loved RE5 because we got to play it together, even though she was scared through most of it.  She loved watching me play RE4 on the GC when it was released (it was the only thing that scared her for a long time).  So I am greatly anticipated RE6 to be able to play it with my wife (even if we can only play after putting our son to bed). :)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: April 10, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »

To be fair, RE6 was officially announced a couple months ago.  It was originally announced for a November 20, 2012 release for PS3, 360 and PC.  However, this Capcom Captivate presentation in Italy that you are referring to shows a release date of October 2, 2012 now.  With a 10.2.12 release date, a WiiU release is most likely off the table.  I could still see a port coming to the WiiU with the map & item selection moved to the tablet at some point in 2013.  I could even see a port of RE5 & 6 together, maybe even a super package with RE4HD, RECVHD and RE5 & RE6 all in one go.  SO just because they say no WiiU version at this time doesn't mean it isn't being worked on, especially if the rumored 11.16.12 WiiU launch date comes true.

I know it was announced a couple months ago, but they if I recall little was known about how it would play, now they've pulled the curtain back on it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144