Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592763 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2575 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:13 AM »
Thank you! And so far that's good right? I don't remember Ian or Broodwars complaining about it, so it must be acceptable.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: April 08, 2012, 04:30:06 AM »
Here are some of my ideas for how SEGA could restructure itself:

• Defer all development of Sonic games to western developers.
  • Announce that all games developed by internal studios will be exclusively digital download
  • Announce that dormant franchise such as Strrets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force, etc will get new releases from western developers on PSN, XBLA, and Wii U.
  • Since the recent Ninja Gaiden game did not set well with fans, release a brand new Shinobi games is ball breaking difficult to try and recapture fans from Ninja Gaiden.
  • Strike exclusive deals with Nintendo if they will pay for the translation of their games not released in the west.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: April 08, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
Thank you! And so far that's good right? I don't remember Ian or Broodwars complaining about it, so it must be acceptable.

I doubt anyone really needs more than 25 GB of space, since I'm pretty sure every time someone's done that on the PS3 (or even gotten anywhere close) it was with needlessly uncompressed video and/or writing the same data to the disc multiple times to cut down on load times, but I still don't see the benefit in limiting it to that. Is it really appreciably more expensive to make it a dual layer drive?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 08, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
Here are some of my ideas for how SEGA could restructure itself:

• Defer all development of Sonic games to western developers.
  • Announce that all games developed by internal studios will be exclusively digital download
  • Announce that dormant franchise such as Strrets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force, etc will get new releases from western developers on PSN, XBLA, and Wii U.
  • Since the recent Ninja Gaiden game did not set well with fans, release a brand new Shinobi games is ball breaking difficult to try and recapture fans from Ninja Gaiden.
  • Strike exclusive deals with Nintendo if they will pay for the translation of their games not released in the west.
I thought they did that already.  Which reminds me I want to pickup that game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 08, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Yeah, Sega released a new Shinobi on 3DS in November. I've heard it's good but so hard there are tears. Tears everywhere.
I doubt anyone really needs more than 25 GB of space, since I'm pretty sure every time someone's done that on the PS3 (or even gotten anywhere close) it was with needlessly uncompressed video and/or writing the same data to the disc multiple times to cut down on load times, but I still don't see the benefit in limiting it to that. Is it really appreciably more expensive to make it a dual layer drive?
I'm still glad Nintendo went with a 25GB disc. That's just one less thing in the way of companies making great games on Wii U. Microsoft had to introduce a new slightly larger disc format for 360 last year so it seems that some developers were struggling to fit content in a standard dual-layered DVD. I hope Nintendo puts a fast drive in there especially if they don't intend to include a hard drive. Most larger PS3 games require an installations to cut down on load times or so I've read.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: April 08, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
i believe the PS3 had 1x or 2x Blu Ray disc drive that was CLV (slows down towards the outer edges to maintain a constant data read speed on the inner and outer parts of the disc).

Nintendo's BDR-based drive will likely be atleast 6x and a CAV drive on top of that, which I think means it will always spin the same speed, meaning it will have faster read times at the outer portions of the disc.

So I don't think the load times will and issue... atleast not like on PS3 * X360 this gen

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: April 08, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
i believe the PS3 had 1x or 2x Blu Ray disc drive that was CLV (slows down towards the outer edges to maintain a constant data read speed on the inner and outer parts of the disc).

Nintendo's BDR-based drive will likely be atleast 6x and a CAV drive on top of that, which I think means it will always spin the same speed, meaning it will have faster read times at the outer portions of the disc.

So I don't think the load times will and issue... atleast not like on PS3 * X360 this gen

I don't expect it to be an issue either.  I remember being very pleased with the load times on the GC and the Wii shared the same attribute.

The only thing I worry about hardware wise on the Wii-U is the hard drive or lack thereof.  Anything less then 20GB standard would be very disappointing IMO. (and, to be honest, I expect something like 8GB of  internal flash memory)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: April 08, 2012, 01:26:57 PM »
I just had an idea. Nintendo needs to make Black or Silver the launch color of the Wii U so people don't associate the tablet with an iPad.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: April 08, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »
The Wii had some trouble with dual layered discs, apparently caused by a dirty lens. Load times in Brawl weren't unacceptable; just a bit disappointing. /1st world problems

I'm still a little worried about load times on Wii U. 3DS (and Vita) has load times despite not using optical media. I wonder if Nintendo could have optimized the hardware better to prevent this from happening. If they didn't do that on 3DS, will they do the same on Wii U? In terms of load times, Wii U has potential CPU/GPU bottlenecks in addition to optical media to contend with. In any case, I don't expect the load times to be awful. I just hope Nintendo does everything they can to make them as unobtrusive as possible. Nintendo has a history of picking less advanced pieces to save a few bucks so if they have to include more expensive parts to improve the experience, they definitely should.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:42:03 PM by Adrock »

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
Honestly, I've never experienced a loading time on the Wii that's been too tedious- Brawl has had a couple instances of just taking a little bit, and one or two games like Sonic Unleashed and maybe Monster Hunter- but I've enjoyed good load times on just about everything.

I mean, if there's a competitive aspect to selling game units, then load times are going to be minimized as much as possible. But for now, with the current technology, load times are just something we'll have to deal with. I'm playing Xenoblade right now and sweet jeebas, that game has very little loading times.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: April 08, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
Honestly, I've never experienced a loading time on the Wii that's been too tedious- Brawl has had a couple instances of just taking a little bit, and one or two games like Sonic Unleashed and maybe Monster Hunter- but I've enjoyed good load times on just about everything.

I mean, if there's a competitive aspect to selling game units, then load times are going to be minimized as much as possible. But for now, with the current technology, load times are just something we'll have to deal with. I'm playing Xenoblade right now and sweet jeebas, that game has very little loading times.

And it's all the more impressive when you consider the scale of Xenoblade and it's level of graphical detail (and not "considering it's a Wii game", no, the game is just genuinely pleasing to the eyes)

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2586 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/04/08/wii-u-cost-of-manufacturing-detailed-system-to-retail-for-under-300/

Interesting development... I didn't know where to put this, so I double posted under the rumors thread. Please don't smite me, NWR Gods.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:11:05 PM by FZeroBoyo »
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: April 08, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
If Nintendo does launch the Wii U with only 8gb of storage I hope they will have the courtesy of expanding that in later revisions down the road. The Wii launched in 2006 with only 512mb of storage, and while 512mb might have been a respectable amount by 2006 standards, today that amount is a joke. But Nintendo never expanded that, even though they could have done so very easily and at no significant increase in manufacturing cost. I hope the Wii U will be different, and be gradually expanded over time.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: April 08, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
They could always just pack in larger SD cards. I presume the reason Nintendo never changed the amount of internal memory in the Wii is because they would have to order a different piece which would have slowed down manufacturing.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: April 08, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
WII U does have 4 USB ports, hense external HD.  Kinda wished they went with at least one USB3 port but at least I won't have to worry about buying new equipment--I'll just use my 500GB USB drive that's hooked up to the WII now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: April 08, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
WII U does have 4 USB ports, hense external HD.  Kinda wished they went with at least one USB3 port but at least I won't have to worry about buying new equipment--I'll just use my 500GB USB drive that's hooked up to the WII now.

I do not see Nintendo having a internal HDD port on the Wii U, but I do see the USB ports being open for any form of storage.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
They could always just pack in larger SD cards. I presume the reason Nintendo never changed the amount of internal memory in the Wii is because they would have to order a different piece which would have slowed down manufacturing.
I always imagined they never upped the internal storage because of the retarded way they wrote the Wii OS. No game would be able to access it unless it was specifically written to, and therefore to keep uniformity between titles, they just never bothered... because in reality, it might have actually been cheaper to go with a larger flash chip (1 or 2GB), since those are likely in higher production, than something that only the Wii uses like 512MB flash.

I just had an idea. Nintendo needs to make Black or Silver the launch color of the Wii U so people don't associate the tablet with an iPad.
you just had that thought? I had that thought a long time ago.

I imagine a Platinum/Premium Edition in the color below, only it's actually brushed steel.

It could be like the Panasonic Q of the Wii U
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:07:20 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: April 08, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
I always imagined they never upped the internal storage because of the retarded way they wrote the Wii OS.

Couldn't that easily be fixed via a system update?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: April 08, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
Their OS system was F'd up from my understanding of it.

Some games, such as Rock Band, couldn't use DLC because it was written for the original 512mb of internal storage, and there may be an update that allowed you to save DLC to an SD card, but that version of Rockband couldn't take advantage of it, because it was designed to work with the OS version before that update. So the next version of Rockband could use the SD card storage, but no game made before that update could utilize that update.
It was pretty shortsighted of Nintendo to not have anticipated that issue before hand. The whole SD card thing was a problem from the beginning to be honest. I just hope Nintendo doesn't make such a stupid and easily avoidable mistake for the Wii U.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: April 08, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
Hopefully not, but since Nintendo seems to be taking the no-HDD route yet again there's a good chance they will screw it up one way or another.
is your sanity...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: April 08, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »
Come on.  Does anyone here seriously think that  Nintendo isn't going to anything extraordinarily stupid?  It's pretty much a given.  I would love to be confident that they will nail it this gen, and the rumors coming out a few months ago seemed to support that.  But the last month or so has been vastly different.  Major Nintendo stuff ups have happened pretty much every gen since the N64.  The Wii is by far the worst. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 08, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
I know it's gonna happen, I just hope it's not anything that we could have seen coming from a mile away.

No Bluray/DVD playback out of the box. not a problem.
No Bluray/DVD playback at all... ok, whatever. would be nice though.
No HDD or 32GB SD card preinstalled. fine, I have one of my own.
Only 8GB of flash onboard (no HDD support till future update TBA). WTF Nintendo!?
Account based online system. hooray!!!
It's not based on your Club Nintendo account and you need a different log on for every service.
 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻â”â”»

I could go on, but who knows where Nintendo will land on some of these things. But the biggest thing they need to not **** up on is Online and everything online related.... which is everything.
Storage  (HDD to be attached on day 1, same with SDXC cards support, onboard storage need to also be adequate <20GB minimum>)
Acct based system (multiple accts per system, club nintendo linked)
Club Nintendo Integration (uses same log on/username, in system game registration)
Friend list (chat, watch games, know what they're doing/playing, invite/join, groups)
chat (video and text/messaging/mail, swapnote 2.0)
eShop (there on day 1, full current VC/Ware selection <including portable stuff> without having to repurchase titles already attached to your account)
multi-player (chat, join, watch, lobbies, communities, teams)
Media Streaming (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc etc. from my PC would also be really nice)
Speed (need to be quick and responsive, it shouldn't take 5-7 minutes to download SMB from the NES, <that game is only like 32kb in size> or 1-2 minutes to load a web page)
Multi-tasking (background updates/downloading, superior browser and touchscreen keyboard, cross game/app chat)

If they can make all a majority of that happen out of the gate, then they would have already leaped over the largest hurdle I think they have going into the next gen, and I think that is a competitive online service.

Nintendo has a lot going for them this time around, so I just hope they don't mess it all up in the one place we are really expecting them to drop the ball. Online.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »
I know it's gonna happen, I just hope it's not anything that we could have seen coming from a mile away.

That's exactly the issue though.  The things that Nintendo gets wrong are the things that a drunk 10 year old could have thought up. 

If they made a mistake that came completely left field, that noone could have seen coming.  Who could blame them?  It happens.  No one really at fault there.

Nintendo has absolutely no concept of foresight.  They just look at the here and now.  Occasionally they will fluke it.  But how long can you play the cards that way?  Soon it will backfire, and badly. 

The people who were burned with the Wii will be VERY cautious this time.  And those "Casual crowd" won't be interested in buying a new console because they are "Casual"!!  The Wii still works and does what they want, why drop another wad of cash on a new console?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 08, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »

Um, the Wii doesn't "legally" support USB drives. And talking about custom firmware, hacking, etc. is bad on these forums.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: April 08, 2012, 11:33:19 PM »

That's exactly the issue though.  The things that Nintendo gets wrong are the things that a drunk 10 year old could have thought up. 

If they made a mistake that came completely left field, that noone could have seen coming.  Who could blame them?  It happens.  No one really at fault there.

Nintendo has absolutely no concept of foresight.  They just look at the here and now.  Occasionally they will fluke it.  But how long can you play the cards that way?  Soon it will backfire, and badly. 

The people who were burned with the Wii will be VERY cautious this time.  And those "Casual crowd" won't be interested in buying a new console because they are "Casual"!!  The Wii still works and does what they want, why drop another wad of cash on a new console?

That's interesting, cause the "casual" crowd is constantly buying new smartphones, tablets, and iPhones every year. Why wouldn't they do they same for a game console that they enjoyed, especially one that has the "Wii" name on it?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931