Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592772 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2550 on: April 04, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Yay!!! Wii U isn't a next gen system.......

Because next gen doesn't start until Sony says it does.... right?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: April 04, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
Somebody is trolling for hits. That last article is asinine.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: April 04, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
The same source concluded, bluntly: "I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game.

Obvious troll-baiting from someone with an anti-Nintendo bias.

But anyway, isn't the physics handled by the software engines like Havok and so on? All the hardware does is run that software, and if the hardware is more powerful than the PS360 then how the hell couldn't it be able to run Havok or whatever?
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2554 on: April 04, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
I wonder how he would feel if Nintendo bought SEGA and put him back over Sonic. That's be funny.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 04, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
I hope the guy already has something in mind for WII U
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 04, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
The fact that he's going to be working at NST is probably the bigger news here.  NST has been reduced to a mere shadow of itself for the last gen, only capable of doing smaller DSiWare games and Mario vs Donkey Kong for the DS.  The fact that Nintendo would put someone this major to work at NST points to that studio being buffed up to start handling major projects again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »
The fact that he's going to be working at NST is probably the bigger news here.  NST has been reduced to a mere shadow of itself for the last gen, only capable of doing smaller DSiWare games and Mario vs Donkey Kong for the DS.  The fact that Nintendo would put someone this major to work at NST points to that studio being buffed up to start handling major projects again.
Or they really wanted him and needed a place to put him he wasn't geographically opposed to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2558 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
That's possible, I believe he is already living in America since he was just working for Namco Bandai's US branch.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »
I don't think someone of his status though would agree to work for Nintendo if all he was only going to make is more Mario vs Donkey Kong games like NST has currently done for the last several years.  They got to have at least something a little more important in develop for Yasuhara to agree to join, unless he's really a huge Mario vs Donkey Kong fan who's always wanted to work on one of these games.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2560 on: April 04, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »
So, I suppose we can assume that Nintendo will beef up the studio for him. The only question now is what kind of game will he make.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
Whatever it is, it's going to be awhile before we see it.  Most games take at least 2 years to develop.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 05, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »
Well Sega may try and reboot Sonic again, which includes a Spyro type approach. When this fails, and it will, Nintendo will welcome Sonic to a safe and permanent home.

- Sonic Team and Sega are looking to better monetize Sonic
- potentially “massive” and “total” reboot
- Sega and Sonic Team are “committed” to the reboo
- speed, platforming, and surreal environments will remain
- Sonic and Dr. Eggman's rivalry will continue
- both characters may undergo a makeover
- everything else is up in the air and may see radical changes, including Tails
- may birth a new universe and characters
- new gameplay methods and gimmicks
- zones would be massively expanded and become their own world
- zones feature individual levels masked as missions
- idea likened to Burnout Paradise
- includes a brand-new engine
- photo-realism is of no concern
- may aggressively pursue a collection model as part of the reboot
- targeting the young audience that enjoys physical collectibles
- may require physical emblems and collectibles to unlock special features
- SEGA inspired by Skylanders' success
- physical toys and collectibles may have an interactive component with a new cartoon series
- may offer classic characters in-game as DLC

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=174955

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
This sounds exactly like the kind of brain dead decision Sega would make.  After eight failed attempts at making 3D Sonic games, they finally got it right with Colors and Generations.  So what do they do as soon as they finally create a good template for 3D Sonic after over a decade of trying?  They decide to throw it away and start over with something that's guaranteed to be sh!t again.  Not to mention there's no reason for this when Colors sold 2 million copies on the Wii in 2010 even when Wii sales were dropping, showing the Sonic brand is still quite strong on Nintendo consoles.  If Sega wants higher sales there's other things they can do to try and raise appeal while the gameplay remains similar without completely robooting the whole series.

It's decisions like this that show us all once again why Sega no longer makes consoles.  Nintendo didn't kill Sega, Sony didn't kill Sega, Sega killed Sega.  And from the looks of things seems to want to continue killing themselves as well.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 05, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
It's decisions like this that show us all once again why Sega no longer makes consoles.  Nintendo didn't kill Sega, Sony didn't kill Sega, Sega killed Sega.  And from the looks of things seems to want to continue killing themselves as well.
Quoted for emphasis.  Sega killed Sega.  They killed the last years of the Genesis with the 32X and CD, destroying all good will they had built with the Genesis/Mega Drive.  Then they released the Saturn at $400 which was way higher priced than any other home console to date (at least successful).  I believe they were also taking a loss even at $400 which is obsurd for how horrible the Saturn was to program for allegedly.
They finally fixed all their blunders with the Dreamcast, but unfortunately, that was too little too late because the PS2 totally kicked its butt and Sega had no choice but to get out of hardware.  Then they were successful at first as a 3rd party, only to be bought up by Sammy which slowly cut budgets and set unrealistic deadlines for games which led to bad quality which led to the eventual situation they are in now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »
Instead of trying to reboot Sonic...they should just retire him. They already tried this reboot twice, they were Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed, and they were both horse ****.

Sonic Generations, on the other hand, is awesome, but it's not a $50-$60 game.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: April 05, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
Poor Sonic. So abused. So much potential. But truthfully, if Nintendo wants to dominate gaming, they'll eat Sega right up and turn their franchises into something good.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
I think Sonic is a lost cause.  On this thread Sonic Colors and Generations were listed as decent Sonic games.  I had no idea what those were like.  I just assume that EVERY Sonic game made since Sega went third party is crap.  There were so many horrible Sonic games made since then that I've tuned Sonic out.  The series could completely turn itself around and I wouldn't know because when a Sonic game is announced I just instinctively ignore it like I ignore crappy licenced games.  In fact if people were saying that Sonic was good again I would be skeptical because die-hard Sonic fanboys have been crying wolf for so long that I will think "is Sonic good again or is this just Sonic fanboys exaggerating about a barely passable game because they so desperately want to like the new Sonic game?"

Sonic has been so bad for so long that I think the very people that Sega wants to get back into the series won't because they'll never know if it becomes good again.  The brand is poisoned.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2568 on: April 05, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
It's true that Sonic doesn't resonate with fans as he used to, but Colors was pretty well received. It has a 78 on Metacritic. That's enough to say that he's back, but at least he's improving.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: April 05, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
After NSMB it should have been New Sonic the Hedgehog all day everyday for Nintendo systems but the bigger problem seems to be that they just don't have very good teams making the games.
I've said it before but everyone seems to have forgotten that the first Sonic games weren't about running as fast as you can all the time.  You could go fast if you wanted and sometimes you would but a lot of the time you would be just doing regular platforming.  Over the years people's memories have been twisted by the speed hook they advertised and the games became roller coasters.
Sonic is obviously a huge property and it is a sad fact that they won't spend the money to bring somebody back who did a good job or bring on some other new talent.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: April 05, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
I think Sonic is a lost cause.  On this thread Sonic Colors and Generations were listed as decent Sonic games.  I had no idea what those were like.  I just assume that EVERY Sonic game made since Sega went third party is crap.  There were so many horrible Sonic games made since then that I've tuned Sonic out.  The series could completely turn itself around and I wouldn't know because when a Sonic game is announced I just instinctively ignore it like I ignore crappy licenced games.  In fact if people were saying that Sonic was good again I would be skeptical because die-hard Sonic fanboys have been crying wolf for so long that I will think "is Sonic good again or is this just Sonic fanboys exaggerating about a barely passable game because they so desperately want to like the new Sonic game?"

Sonic has been so bad for so long that I think the very people that Sega wants to get back into the series won't because they'll never know if it becomes good again.  The brand is poisoned.

Yeah, I wouldn't really blame anyone for not being interested in Sonic even though Colors and Generations were good.  Like I said the previous EIGHT 3D Sonic games before Colors ranged from meh to complete unplayable garbage.  This is why it's really stupid for Sega to reboot the series now when Colors and Generations finally started to turn things around.

They had a chance to give Sonic a good image again but now they're going to blow it and this time, probably cause even some of the most die hard fans to finally leave.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: April 05, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
I don't understand how Sega would reboot Sonic and how that would affect anything. Do you mean the story? Did anyone care about that to begin with? Do you mean gameplay? If so, isn't that just called "progression"?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: April 08, 2012, 02:34:49 AM »
Sonic the gritty space marine.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: April 08, 2012, 03:35:38 AM »
Hey do we know how much Wii U discs are supposed to hold? How much do Wii discs hold?

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2574 on: April 08, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »
Hey do we know how much Wii U discs are supposed to hold? How much do Wii discs hold?

Wii discs are up to 8.7GB when dual layer, Nintendo confirmed Wii U will be 25GB: http://kotaku.com/5809701/wii-u-discs-will-be-25gb-in-size
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20