Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592724 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2525 on: March 27, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
This would fit into that rumored list of eShop games for the Wii U which included games that would normally be retail (like Mario Tennis).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »
This would fit into that rumored list of eShop games for the Wii U which included games that would normally be retail (like Mario Tennis).

do you remember when/where that was posted?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2527 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »
Basically from a rumor you posted: http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/rumor-major-wii-u-eshop-games-leak-includes-world-of-warcraft-cou

In the Rumor thread there was questions why a Mario Strikers game would be a eShop game (and several of those other games sound like retail releases), so I commented how they could do what Sony is doing with the PS Vita.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »
Thanks, I didn't want to spend too much time combing through the rumor thread looking for it.

I updated the post it was in and added it to the list even though I think it's likely BS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: March 28, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
Nintendo looking for publishing opportunities!
 http://nordicgame.com/

I didn't get a chance to search the link, but her its the quote

Nintendo is going to be at the May 24-25 "Nordic Games - Pitch & Match" conference in Malmö, Sweden. They're there to seek out potential Wii U developers from Scandinavia.

"Nintendo is interested to meet with talented game development teams and explore publishing opportunities for original Nintendo 3DS and Wii U game proposals", says Tim Symons, Sales Planning & Strategy, Nintendo.

I'm not sure who else attends that, but I hope Nintendo find what they are looking for.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: March 28, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Would be great if they found a new Retro!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: March 28, 2012, 05:03:04 PM »
Aren't the pc rpgs risen and gothic developers from there?  I've always had a soft spot for those series.  They are basically similer to western rpgs and I would love them or something similer om the wiiu.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2532 on: March 28, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Aren't the pc rpgs risen and gothic developers from there?

Close. Those are from Piranha Bytes, who are based in near-bye Germany. Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway, and Sweden.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: March 28, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
So close lol.  It is good to see nintendo branching out looking for good ideas.  Isn't that how pokemon was started?  I'm sure nintendo would love another big franchise.  I how an in depth rpg comes from this.  The upad just screams for it and rpgs in general.  Hopefully the wiiu can be the snes of the next generation. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Gear Box Excited about Wii U
« Reply #2534 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »
Gear Box is Excited to talk about Aliens on Wii U
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/28/2903588/half-life-borderlands-gearbox-software-aliens-brothers-in-arms
Another aspect of the upcoming game's design Pitchford hopes will represent a significant advancement is Gearbox's heavy investment in the Wii U. Pitchford says he actually believes the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the best version.

"The Wii U version has so much more to offer ... no other platform can do what the Wii U can do," he says. "If you love [Xbox] 360 games, you are not used to being in a world where you have this new interface. But once you get used to that, you imagine the possibilities; there are some opportunities that are just not possible on any platform that does not have that device."

Pitchford hints that using the Wii U controller as a motion tracker, or in other ways that evoke signature moments form the films will lure gamers to the Wii U for their Aliens fix.

"I don’t want to give spoilers away on some of things we are thinking of or things we have actually implemented already," he said, "but a lot of cool opportunities with that device that are going to make a very unique and compelling experience on that platform. We have given a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

Pitchford was tight-lipped regarding details of the game's story, but he did say at least one detail will be revealed next month, in Boston:

"Competitive multiplayer is in the game," he said. "If you are curious about what we are doing there, I strongly recommend visiting us at PAX East."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:06:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline gamercat

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Gear Box Excited about Wii U
« Reply #2535 on: March 31, 2012, 03:19:16 AM »
Gear Box is Excited to talk about Aliens on Wii U
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/28/2903588/half-life-borderlands-gearbox-software-aliens-brothers-in-arms
Another aspect of the upcoming game's design Pitchford hopes will represent a significant advancement is Gearbox's heavy investment in the Wii U. Pitchford says he actually believes the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the best version.

"The Wii U version has so much more to offer ... no other platform can do what the Wii U can do," he says. "If you love [Xbox] 360 games, you are not used to being in a world where you have this new interface. But once you get used to that, you imagine the possibilities; there are some opportunities that are just not possible on any platform that does not have that device."

Pitchford hints that using the Wii U controller as a motion tracker, or in other ways that evoke signature moments form the films will lure gamers to the Wii U for their Aliens fix.

"I don’t want to give spoilers away on some of things we are thinking of or things we have actually implemented already," he said, "but a lot of cool opportunities with that device that are going to make a very unique and compelling experience on that platform. We have given a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it."

Pitchford was tight-lipped regarding details of the game's story, but he did say at least one detail will be revealed next month, in Boston:

"Competitive multiplayer is in the game," he said. "If you are curious about what we are doing there, I strongly recommend visiting us at PAX East."

I'm already sold on Aliens. Now, make Borderlands 2 happen on the Wii U.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: March 31, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »
I have never been so interested in 3rd party titles before! Can't wait for this!

As for his comments it appears he means only the Wii U can do new things with that controller, but I wouldn't be surprised if he meant in just about every aspect no other console can do what the U can.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: March 31, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Retro hires an ex Gearbox Visual Effects Artist
he was just hired in March too.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/timothy-wilson/4/a7/87
- collaborated in creating the hand-painted Borderlands art style and provided guides for technique and process.

first it was Crytek and then it was Uncharted and now it is Gearbox.
I wonder what Retro has cooking....

wasn't there some talk about some hand painted textures for a project?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:37:32 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: March 31, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Retro hires an ex Gearbox Visual Effects Artist
he was just hired in March too.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/timothy-wilson/4/a7/87
- collaborated in creating the hand-painted Borderlands art style and provided guides for technique and process.

first it was Crytek and then it was Uncharted and now it is Gearbox.
I wonder what Retro has cooking....

wasn't there some talk about some hand painted textures for a project?

Yes there was!

Man we better see what they are up to this E3! After Prime 3 we went like 2 E3's without knowing anything right? That was torture! Good think DK was done some time ago, so what every they are doing for Wii U will at least have something to show for it in a few months! Man I'm excited!

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
3 Dates to Watch out for in April
« Reply #2539 on: March 31, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
3 Dates in April To Watch Out For
thanks to GAF's super slueth and data miner Rösti
PAX East

Date(s): April 6 - 8
Venue(s): The Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Boston, MA
Topic: Public video game expo
Probability of news: Moderate

Nintendo will be exhibiting at this show. If they will demonstrate the Wii U or only offer demos of upcoming and current Nintendo 3DS games is unknown though. I've suggested previously that due to the show being open to the public Nintendo may provide something about Wii U to prevent an angry mob from being established, and also to not have to answer questions about Wii U all day with "I'm sorry, I can't comment on that at this time".

http://east.paxsite.com/

Q1 2012 Advanced Micro Devices Earnings Conference Call

Date(s): April 19, 02:00 p.m. PT
Venue(s): AMD HQ, Sunnyvale, CA
Topic: IR event
Probability of news: Moderate

Much like IBM's presentation will this focus on financials, but AMD always provides quite much information about upcoming and current systems and technologies. And like with IBM, this presentation reflects AMD's business in the first quarter of 2012 and more than likely is briefing investors on new initiatives in the fiscal year something on the agenda. On the 2012 Analyst Day, AMD spoke about their increased involvement with the video game industry, maybe they are going to elaborate on this further. Most likely there will be a Q&A session to this. As I see it, interest in Wii U's GPU appears heavier than interest in the CPU, so with little effort could AMD create some hype here even without actually telling something specific about the chip.

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...ventId=4723953

Nintendo Fiscal Year Earnings Release

Date(s): April 26
Venue(s): Nintendo HQ, Minami-ku, Kyoto
Topic: IR event
Probability of news: Very likely, almost guaranteed

This is what we are all waiting for. Wii U news will most likely come here; if it will be more info about NFC and similar I don't know though.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/

To summarize, in April we've got three events that may provide some new information about Wii U, the most likely being Nintendo's IR event on the 26th of April.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2540 on: March 31, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
There isn't going to be a lot at PAX East; it'll be similar to GDC and stuff like 3DS eShop games (Yesterday, I talked to somebody who will be running their booth). The angry mob comment is laughable.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2541 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
I don't think Nintendo has ever had big announcements at PAX or PAX East. They usually have some minor ones, but nothing big (I would be especially surprised if any first party Wii U stuff is announced).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »
PAX East has never been a major thing for Nintendo. Two years ago when I was there they barely had any presence, and from what I hear the same was true last year, even with the 3DS launching a week later. I wouldn't expect to hear much coming out of that event.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2543 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:55 AM »
Nintendo had a nice area last year, though it could have been bigger. The lines were too long, though you could head over to Capcom and play the 3DS with almost no wait at all. They had more content crammed in their space compared to a lot of other publishers, who used the space for gimmicky crap (Duke Nukem). But I highly doubt that Nintendo will have anything to do with the WiiU there at all. Nintendo just does not deal with the public in that manner.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: April 01, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
The sad thing is that Pax East is one of the better places to have real people use the uMote and start disseminate good vibes about it we got at E3.  Even if it was last E3's demos.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: April 03, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
Wii U could be first console to run a MMORPG without being compromised.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/37027/wii-u-could-be-first-console-to-run-a-mmorpg-without-compromise-funcom/
Wii U could be the first real console on which running an MMORPG without compromise is plausible," said Bylos. "The controller is perfect for lining up those rows of hotbars that are essential in most MMOs. A customisable touchscreen interface combined with the 3D spatial movement of a console controller could be a winner.

Ubisoft #1 Wii U 3rd party?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/167200/How_Ubisoft_strikes_fast_early_on_new_hardware.php
We have big plans for Wii U. Our intention is to be the number one third-party on Wii U, just like we were on Kinect and just like we were on 3DS," Key told Gamasutra in a recent interview.
We've always had a really close relationship with Nintendo, so I'd venture to say that we did have an advantage in getting dev kits earlier than other people," Key said. "I'm not saying we got them earlier than everyone, but I do think we got them early.
They came to us and asked us to make Red Steel. The thing is, once these dev kits show up in the building, you've got these other teams peeking around the curtain going, 'Hey, what's that?' Before you know it, there's three projects being developed for the Wii in that one room, and then another guy from another studio just happens to be visiting and brings back some ideas... [/l]
Ubisoft is going to piss off other developers with comments like that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:04:30 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: April 03, 2012, 03:22:08 PM »
The tablet controller would be an adequate or workable substitute for MMOs that are designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind. Now it's a matter of game makers developing a Wii U version and Nintendo being flexible to the developer's and publisher's requirements.

As for Ubi Soft, of course they will have a bunch of games at launch. They have done so for the Kinect, Vita, and 3DS and it seems to be a profitable move for them.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
It would be kinda awesome if Nintendo included a USB port or two on the tablet.

But regardless, couldn't Nintendo support Keyboard and Mouse controls through the two USB ports they have already?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2548 on: April 03, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
Is Nintendo's "Fiscal Earnings Release" like that 3DS thing they had last year or just like an earnings call? I really can't see anything getting announced at an investor focused event.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: April 04, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

More RAM and better Processor than current consoles.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/04/04/wii-u-has-more-ram-than-other-current-consoles-and-really-great-processor-says-aliens-colonial-marines-director/
The machine itself will be one of the best looking versions of the game [sic]… because they’ve got more RAM than some of the other things [platforms]“, says Martel. “They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor.

Wii U an impressive bridge to next generation.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/04/gearbox-boss-says-impressive-wii-u-a-really-nice-bridge-to-the/?

I think it's a really nice bridge to the next generation. I think people will be surprised. I don't know off the top of my head how many of the specs they've released, so I want to be very careful not to jump the gun, but we're very pleased with the hardware. And even since they gave us our first alpha kit, our very first 'pre-prototype' development hardware that they kind of let us play around with, they've done so many things to make the platform better. So it's getting better for us as developers.

But I know some of you enjoy arguing and being afraid so here is some bs.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342718/wii-u-games-look-just-as-good-as-ps3-but-its-still-not-as-capable/?

"We're still working on dev machines but there have definitely been some issues [in porting PS3/360 games]," our source said. "It's not actually a problem getting things up and running because the architecture is pretty conventional, but there are constraints with stuff like physics and AI processing because the hardware isn't quite as capable."

The same source concluded, bluntly: "I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:14:19 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn