Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592713 times)

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2500 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Well wasn't it a developer that said Wii you had more than 1GB but less than 8GBof ram? remember hearing it from somewhere.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
Hey, since MS said no new Xbox for this E3, which probably means no new Xbox launch until Holiday 2013, does that mean Nintendo will feel the pressure is off and release the WiiU for the Holiday season 2012 instead of earlier?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 16, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »
From an article approximately 5 years ago. Assuming everything in the article is held to be true, then yes, eDRAM should by now as Megabyte said, "Blow it out of the water". eDRAM or DRAM embedded on the same die as the processor as a safe assumption its latency still longer than any SRAM, but it's performance is close enough that the extra density makes up for it by having more MB per dollar while still having the advantage of hiding the refresh like 1T-SRAM did which was one of it's advantages at the time.

This type or positioning of RAM isn't used as main memory, so you won't see anything having multi-GB of eDRAM anytime soon, it's a substitute for L2 cache. But with eDRAM, it will have a lot more of it compared to SRAM. The WiiU will have proper external on motherboard memory like DRAM like some form of DDR, so 4GB of RAM is entirely plausible. Baiscly, my expectations are that the WiiU will be alot more conventional than the GC or Wii in the overall design.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 16, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
So if 1T-SRAM is really fast, is that the reason why the Gamecube and Wii had such really great load times compared to other optical media systems? It is a shame that Nintendo is abandoning it if it is the superior type of RAM, but this may be a necessary move in order for the WiiU to be a powerful system yet still affordably priced. But will this mean load times will increase?
is your sanity...

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: March 16, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
Someone quote me! I know it's true :p The Wii U could have 4GB of Ram or up to 6GB if taking the quote of that individual into consideration, since we know it's more than a Gig but less than 8 so that falls somewhere between 4 and 6GB Rawr! BnM can you back me up? lol

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »
The RAM had nothing to do with load times. That was all about the disc drive and how the software streamed data from it and how the data on the discs were arranged. Both the GC and the Wii have a CAV drive or Constant Angular Velocity drive. A normal CD player changes the speed of which the disc is spinning so the linear velocity is always the same. A CAV drive is always spinning at the same angular velocity, so the Reader doesn't have to wait for the disc to spin up or down before reading, drastically improving seek times. It how ever produces uneven throughoutput as data on the outside of the streams out faster than data written on the inside of the disc.

With careful arrangement of the data on the disc with things frequently accessed placed close together and on the outside of the disc, it greatly improved load time. Even if the data was more scattered the seek times were way better than it's CLV counterparts. All the above factors are why GC and Wii generally have much better load times.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:53:36 PM by oohhboy »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »
Someone quote me! I know it's true :p The Wii U could have 4GB of Ram or up to 6GB if taking the quote of that individual into consideration, since we know it's more than a Gig but less than 8 so that falls somewhere between 4 and 6GB Rawr! BnM can you back me up? lol

I would say more than 1GB, but less than 3, and it will likely be closer to 1.5-2GB and nowhere near 6-8GB

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: March 16, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »
Hopefully there will be an access port on the Wii U so that a few years from now when the Wiiu starts to show its age you can buy a game like Zelda which will come bundled with a RAM pak and then you just plug it in and then the RAM is doubled or quadrupled, as was the case with the N64.
is your sanity...

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: March 16, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »
How about 3-4GB? :p

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: March 17, 2012, 01:39:18 AM »
My personal guess with the rumors I've seen on the internet is 2 or 2.5 GB RAM.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: March 17, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »
Well wasn't it a developer that said Wii you had more than 1GB but less than 8GBof ram? remember hearing it from somewhere.

I think you're referring to a poster on another messageboard who's actually claiming he's an ex-journalist with developer contacts.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: March 17, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »
Shhh.. Don't rain on my parade Kairon ;)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2512 on: March 17, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »
I'm hoping that whatever it has it can do what we all want...

Which is basically, play 2 WiiU tablets, have smooth internet connections with little lag, and play awesome High Definition Wii Fi games...which I think will be easily doable with 2 or 2.5 Gigs RAM.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Netflix Wii U Confirmed
« Reply #2513 on: March 20, 2012, 02:07:08 AM »
we already knew it was coming (was it already confirmed?), but this is evidence that it very well could be there at launch

Netflix is (double?) Confirmed for Wii U!
and sounds like it's already up and running too.
Senior Software Engineer - Game Consoles
Netflix - Los Gatos, CA

The Nintendo team develops the Netflix application that runs on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. With over 25 million customers, we are using our virtuous circle of device ubiquity, accelerated customer growth, and content buying power to grow internationally. Our platforms hold the biggest share of our customers, and our charter is to keep pushing forward in quality and innovation.

I really hope they do that group movie chat that I hear X360 used to have before they stripped some features away.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:08:53 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:58 AM »
Netflix is what my PS3 runs 90% of the time. If Wii U could play Blu-Ray movies, I would be really tempted to trade my PS3. I don't remember the last PS3 game I bought (maybe Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, not sure) and I only have 2 exclusives I'm interested in playing Uncharted 3 and Twisted Metal (possible 3, The Last Guardian).

If Lollipop Chainsaw and RE6 get ported to Wii U and with Netlix a possibility at launch, there's a very strong likelihood that THIS is going to happen to my PS3.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:36 AM »
We have to make some sort of rule to warn people when linking to youtube. I just lost an hour of my life thanks to you Adrock.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: March 20, 2012, 03:44:26 AM »
If Lollipop Chainsaw and RE6 get ported to Wii U and with Netlix a possibility at launch, there's a very strong likelihood that THIS is going to happen to my PS3.

Why not take it a step further?

is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: March 20, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »
I just lost an hour of my life thanks to you Adrock.
Lost? Don't you mean "made the most of and gained clearer perspective for"? If anything, I did you a favor. No need to thank me. Helping others is thanks enough for me.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
Netflix is what my PS3 runs 90% of the time. If Wii U could play Blu-Ray movies, I would be really tempted to trade my PS3. I don't remember the last PS3 game I bought (maybe Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, not sure) and I only have 2 exclusives I'm interested in playing Uncharted 3 and Twisted Metal (possible 3, The Last Guardian).

Yeah, that's the life of my PS3.  If the WiiU can do Blu-Ray and is DLNA compliant the PS3 probably get moved to the other TV.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: March 22, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »
Ubisoft prepping another Your Shape and this time for Wii U
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/03/22/ubisoft-preparing-another-wii-u-game/

... Wii UR Shape

Ur Shape

U Shape

Wii Shape U

edit: of course the leak has been removed, but this is what it had said before hand (these sources are too lazy to screen print)
http://www.roynet.com/index.cfm?event=currentevents
Video game 'Your Shape WiiU' requested use of…
"Evacuate The Dance Floor" (Eshuijs/Reuter/Yann) by Cascada. We Sub-Publish this song on behalf of Talpa Music (BUMA)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:34:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2521 on: March 22, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
Darksiders 2, may be an awesome game...but I just not digging the art style at all.  I dunno, something about the images are just not appealing to me.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: March 22, 2012, 11:46:06 PM »
edit: of course the leak has been removed, but this is what it had said before hand (these sources are too lazy to screen print)
http://www.roynet.com/index.cfm?event=currentevents
Video game 'Your Shape WiiU' requested use of…
"Evacuate The Dance Floor" (Eshuijs/Reuter/Yann) by Cascada. We Sub-Publish this song on behalf of Talpa Music (BUMA)

Cascada? CASCADA? ... Insta buy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Green Hills Software's MULTI Integrated Development Environment Selected by Nintendo for Wii U Development
http://www.ghs.com/news/20120327_ESC_Nintendo_WiiU.html
Green Hills Software, the largest independent vendor of embedded software solutions, has entered into a global license agreement that will enable Nintendo Co., Ltd. to provide Green Hills Software's MULTI® integrated development environment (IDE) to developers that are creating video game software for the upcoming Wii U platform, which is scheduled to be launched later this year.

"We selected the Green Hills Software solution because it generates highly optimized code, and Green Hills provides excellent global support," commented Mr. Genyo Takeda, senior managing director of Integrated Research & Design at Nintendo Co., Ltd.

"Green Hills Software has a long history of supplying the most demanding global corporations with the tools they need to build innovative yet cost-effective and reliable electronic products," commented Tim Reed, general manager of Advanced Products, Green Hills Software. "We are proud to be a valued partner of Nintendo."

Yay! more middlewear. Nintendo appears to be going all out to make it really hard for 3rd parties to come up with lame excuses about how they can't develop real games for Nintendo this time around.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: March 27, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
Ubisoft ready for Wii U's Digital Distribution
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-27-ubisoft-ready-to-take-advantage-of-wii-u-digital-strategy

there are some comparisons with PS Vita's policy of needing a digital copy of every retail game. It would be nice if Nintendo allowed that to happen sooner, rather than later. As Iwata said
Quote from: Iwata
"This concept was built into the design of the Nintendo 3DS, and we already have the necessary infrastructure. We will prepare the same infrastructure for the Wii U. However, we have not decided the concrete timing of when we will start it.